• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
This could absolutely be true. After all, Terrio is a terrible writer. It's still not good enough IMO.

Also, these scenes he's talking about must've looked pretty awful if the Leia CG in certain other scenes did meet their standard of photorealism.
Exactly, even if it's true it's incredibly stupid.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't, sorry. It has another meaning, the original one, that is the most common meaning, and it was the one intended here, which the author is copping to. We're done here.

I'm not just "technically correct," though I certainly am that. You are the one diminishing the contributions of Asian actors to three of the last 4 Star Wars movies released since 2016. Calling them "Buddha" and acting like they were shit when they were in the central cast and got their own posters, claiming that having two legendary Chinese actors rounding out the protagonist crew in a movie that outperformed Episode 9 on its opening weekend amounts to nothing is definitely... a choice. Push for more, sure - more diversity is great, but what is this need to pretend these contributions practically never happened and are essentially worthless? Rogue One you have those two characters just for East Asian representation, plus Riz Ahmed if you want to expand to the rest of the contintent. Then in Episodes 8 and 9 there is Rose and her sister, and there are plenty of side characters like Ken Leung's character, X-Wing pilots, and outside the films there's Tiya Sircar's character, the Battlefront II protagonist ... Yes, I'm going to call out a comment like "KMT is literally our only representation." It isn't true and you erase people's work when you say that.

What the FUCK!?

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
So write new scenes then?? 🤔🤔🤔
Not that I don't think that he is full of shit and doing damage control PR but he said that doing some scenes with Leia (and presumably Rose) turned out to be harder than anticipated. Who knows at what point in the production process it was realized that those scenes were not going to work. It may have been far too late in production to write and film new scenes.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
P sure Asian characters were in SW before -- there were two in Rogue One alone, just off the top of my head. So, "literally the only Asian representation in Star Wars films" is a bit strong

It's funny you use them as a good example of Asian representation while they are the best proof of how the Star Wars creatives/executives actually don't care about Asian representation. Both Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen got a role in the film because they wanted to cater to the Chinese market, but when they learned that the Chinese market didn't give a shit about Star Wars, despite two huge Chinese stars, the Asian representation just disappeared. So it was never about "minority representation", but all about trying to make money on a specific market.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
No I'm not fucking done. How dare this asshole say we have great Asian representation and uses a FUCKING VIDEO GAME CHARACTER as proof!?! A FUCKING VIDEO GAME CHARACTER AS PROOF! To then tell Asians to shut the fuck up because a FUCKING VIDEO GAME CHARACTER is Asian therefore Asian representation is perfectly fucking fine! A FUCKING VIDEO GAME CHARACTER!?! Do you people think that's fucking repressentation? Minor characters and A FUCKING VIDEO GAME CHARACTER!?!
Yes, a "fucking" video game character - the lead one, in a game that sold 11 million copies which is what, 660M gross? Twice what TRoS has done domestically?

And for the third time I've encouraged you to be mad and push for diversity which is the opposite of telling you to "shit the fuck up." Maybe you are saying things that aren't really problem-free on the way though. Sorry to break it to you.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
The film is overstuffed. It's not surprising that between shit that looked wack in post and just in editing the film down in general that she was a large casualty.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Not that I don't think that he is full of shit and doing damage control PR but he said that doing some scenes with Leia (and presumably Rose) turned out to be harder than anticipated. Who knows at what point in the production process it was realized that those scenes were not going to work. It may have been far too late in production to write and film new scenes.
These are things that could have been alleviated had they taken more time and prepared . This movie in no way shape or form needed to come out at this time. It could have been delayed, instead of scrambling and hoping that they could use old footage for a main character.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, a "fucking" video game character - the lead one, in a game that sold 11 million copies which is what, 660M gross? Twice what TRoS has done domestically?

And for the third time I've encouraged you to be mad and push for diversity which is the opposite of telling you to "shit the fuck up." Maybe you are saying things that aren't really problem-free on the way though. Sorry to break it to you.
You literally told him that he got his token minority so why is he complaining. All of them being Side characters and one of them literally being erased in one movie. How about instead of yapping your mouth off, you shut up and listen to these people when they say stuff like this.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
BUT. Rose was getting a diminished role regardless of what footage they could use. She was never to going to amount more than a few speaking lines. They had the entire last act to use her in an action role and choose not to.
Yeah, taking Terrio at his word, just how substantial could any of these hypothetical scenes even be?

So it would be ROS but there would be more scenes back at Rebel HQ where Leia talks to Rose? About what? The film is such a propulsive quest for this thing and then that thing, with everything of import happening with Rey and co. and their immediate situation, that it couldn't have been anything of note.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
On Leia, sometimes I wonder if it would have been a cleaner break if they found a way to wrap up her plotline with TLJ. It was a shitty situation though, but I do feel like the Leia we got here wasn't really Leia.

Yeah, this.

Personally I think it would have been an interesting angle to do what they did with Luke in TLJ, but on Krait have Leia have the scene with Kylo but with Luke watching via Force Projection. Have Kylo kill Leia and have Luke have to watch it and see the direct consequence of his isolating himself after a mistake / error of judgement (him almost killing Kylo in his sleep)

Obviously in hindsight it would have been easier to write around Carries death but move over her arc was kinda done in TLJ anyway. Instead of feeling the need to get in Palpatine, you would have had the springboard into IX thread narrative of Luke having to come through and retrain Rey properly in light of being inspired to participate properly again.

Hell they could have had Luke go mad after seeing Leia die and make him the big bad of going full nuts murdering the TFO and make IX about Rey / Kylo compromising and taking Luke down. Anything rather than wheeling out Palpy again

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
On Leia, sometimes I wonder if it would have been a cleaner break if they found a way to wrap up her plotline with TLJ. It was a shitty situation though, but I do feel like the Leia we got here wasn't really Leia.
Yeah, it definitely had that soundboard prank phone call quality to it. =/

What would have been best for the story and the character would have been to simply recast the role, but people would have freaked the fuck out. (and I get it.)

Dec 12, 2017
They could have sent her on the main mission with the other 3. Hell, give D-O's fucking scenes to Rose.

Nope, she had to study.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
These are things that could have been alleviated had they taken more time and prepared . This movie in no way shape or form needed to come out at this time. It could have been delayed, instead of scrambling and hoping that they could use old footage for a main character.
There are many ways it could have been avoided in hindsight. One is that they could have delayed the film (generally not a choice made by writers or even the director). They could have found a way to have her die in the previous film (there would have been some pretty simple script changes that could have made that happen). They could have killed her off between films (my guess is this would have resulted in outrage that such an important character was killed off screen but w/e) etc.

I mean ultimately I think it is all bullshit and that they reduced her roll in the movie on purpose do to backlash (maybe it was worsened when they realized that some of the planned scenes werent going to work).

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
"Never underestimate a droid."
I was honestly trying to hold back laughter in the theater during the Leia scenes. I get that her passing was tragic and also put them in a terrible position, but fuck man.... It just was not working for me. The same behind-the-back shot with these super stilted, "well, this back-and-forth is a little weird, but this footage is all we've got" conversations.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Rose Tico was just a casuality of a lack of commitment to the story or her character when it changed hands from Johnson to Abrams.

This is too lenient. They chose to reduce her role. This wasn't all some unfortunate outcome because some nameless person made a choice a few years ago.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW he's what uncelestial has to say about Rose
Her character was awful and only served to rob agency of the black former co-protagonist, who "got sidelined" in TLJ so hard you could've cut him entirely and it would've made no difference to the plot.

Frankly I was glad she was gone and that Finn had a little room to breathe in RoS. I felt like in this whole trilogy the black audience got finessed, watching Disney say "nah" to the black Jedi lead AND the interracial relationship they kept teasing at. It was horrible to watch.

Rose had Anakin-tier cringe dialogue and was directly involved in Rian Johnson turning Finn into Jar Jar. So forgive me if I don't have any tears to shed, because by the way, she was in the movie, and the new love interest was at least designed to compliment, validate, and share experiences with Finn instead of constantly foil him.

What happened to KMT on social media, I'm upset about. What happened to this character? That's life. She was damaging every character and plot she touched and was poorly conceived from the beginning.
And yet when an actual Asian person is upset with their race's representation suddenly uncelestial is here to tell them off.
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
To anyone saying Bullshit:

how do you know this to be the case?

how did you come to the conclusion they are lying?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
They literally had their out in TLJ. Then she came back to life and flew through space. I was scratching my head big time in the cinema.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's possible I guess, I'm not going to pretend I would know more about the production of the film than the writer and director of the film. It does seem like Rose and Leia were supposed to be together and it's not at all out of the question that they weren't able to get the performance out of a CGI Leia that they had hoped for and decided to nix scenes.

Apparently Dominic Monaghan's character was also supposed to have a considerably bigger role and that was cut down too, seems like a lot of stuff around Leia was cut.

To be honest the 2 year cycle Disney put these films on doesn't seem ideal at all.

Oct 26, 2017
To anyone saying Bullshit:

how do you know this to be the case?

how did you come to the conclusion they are lying?

Carrie Fisher died in 2016. Before The Last Jedi mind you.

ROS came out in 2019.

Do the math. They knew the amount of footage they had access to, and telling a story about Leia and Rose made sense with what they had to work with? Absolutely not. It's bullshit.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ROS came out in 2019.

Do the math. They knew the amount of footage they had access to, and telling a story about Leia and Rose made sense with what they had to work with? Absolutely not. It's bullshit.

It seems like they planned to do more with a CGI Carrie Fisher, and they're lying if they say that was never an option because there is a CGI young Fisher in the movie at least.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA

ROS came out in 2019.

Ah, but don't you see? Clearly Leia was the linchpin that held Rose's story together. They have a long, storied on-screen history together, after all. There was obviously no way around it.

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like they planned to do more with a CGI Carrie Fisher, and they're lying if they say that was never an option because there is a CGI young Fisher in the movie at least.

They shut that down after Rogue One was released, saying that they wanted to give Carrie Fisher a proper sending off instead of CGI face treatment.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They shut that down after Rogue One was released, saying that they wanted to give Carrie Fisher a proper sending off instead of CGI face treatment.

Which I suspected was bullshit when the leaks of TROS started coming out and they had all these scenes with Carrie Fisher in them with a young Princess Leia training with Luke, no less (apparently this bit got chopped down heavily too and you don't get to see their faces except for a split second which leads me to believe they were not all that sold on the quality of the CG).

Oct 26, 2017
Which I suspected was bullshit when the leaks of TROS started coming out and they had all these scenes with Carrie Fisher in them with a young Princess Leia training with Luke, no less (apparently this bit got chopped down heavily too and you don't get to see their faces except for a split second which leads me to believe they were not all that sold on the quality of the CG).

That's not the same as CGI old Leia. That's what I'm talking about.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really sure there isn't CG manipulation of the old Leia as is either. They seem to have a very broad conception of what "not doing a CG Carrie Fisher" means.

I mean there's clear CG in the sense of snipping together pieces of unused footage. I'm talking about Disney shutting down the idea of pulling a "CGI Grand Moff Tarkin" on Old Leia.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In general I never understood why both RJ and JJ felt like they had to cram in several new characters in each successive instalment when there plainly isn't even enough time for the main three characters in this trilogy and not enough for the main villains either.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ROS came out in 2019.

Didn't the creative team change at some point after TLJ and they basically had much less time to draft a script (from scratch)? Just because they knew she was dead, doesn't mean that they had all the time from her death to plan it. You're conflating different screenwriters/directors here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Such a bullshit reason. If there is one main character that could have some connection to Leia that would be Chewie or maybe Poe. Rose had no previous history with Leia.

The scenes with Leia in TROS are anyhow way too many and it shows they had to use old scenes as they're mostly not fitting with the dialogue happening there.

Honestly they should shut the fuck up, they catered to alt right.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be good to hopefully a new trilogy learn from this one. Hopefully.

Like for real, treat your characters with some respect. This reasoning sounds like BS.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's gonna be a yikes from me, dawg.

And fucking yikes at some of the shit in this thread. Y'all should be ashamed.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
The movie was clearly written after TLJ came out, which was after Carrie Fisher died. So you're telling me you tied all of a character's plot to someone who can't even provide new footage? This answer is so BS.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Well isn't that convenient? They didn't have to put her in the movie but they don't have to take the blame for cutting her out. How about that?

Getting real fucking sick of Disney trying to get pats on the back for stuff they aren't actually doing.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Didn't the creative team change at some point after TLJ and they basically had much less time to draft a script (from scratch)? Just because they knew she was dead, doesn't mean that they had all the time from her death to plan it. You're conflating different screenwriters/directors here.
Seemed like most of the footage was from TFA, which was JJ. And even then, that was their move? To put Rose with the character they just had deleted scenes for? And then go "oh whoops that wont work"?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seemed like most of the footage was from TFA, which was JJ. And even then, that was their move? To put Rose with the character they just had deleted scenes for? And then go "oh whoops that wont work"?

From what Terrio is saying is that the intention was to use more than just existing footage and have CGI Leia interact with Rose.

There's kind of an easy way to know if this is bull shit or not ... did KMT film those scenes or not.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
They fucked up, they wrote a shit movie, they rushed it etc etc. but do we honestly believe they reduced her role because they didn't want to make the people who harassed her upset? Really? Seems far more likely that they didn't know what to write and ended up coming up with a stupid story that didn't have room for that character, or like he is saying here they didn't have the footage they needed. Obviously relying on a dead actor to get the scenes for Rose wasn't smart and probably wouldn't have even been good to begin with, but Disney's whole thing lately is using social justice to their own capitalistic advantage, so they weren't going to tell JJ to remove Rose. That just doesn't seem like their current MO. Seems far more likely that everything was on JJ, Chris and the producers who like I said fucked up. I mean I can buy him being a clueless lib who doesn't realize what message he is sending, but limiting her role with malice to appease the right? I need more believe that.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
From what Terrio is saying is that the intention was to use more than just existing footage and have CGI Leia interact with Rose.

There's kind of an easy way to know if this is bull shit or not ... did KMT film those scenes or not.
True. Even then, having Rose be like "haha, no guys I'll just hang back at the base! It's all good! Promise!" was a little, ehhh...

It gave me the impression they were just looking for a way to make it "okay" that she's basically not in the movie, which is making it impossible for me to take their excuse here at face value.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I could definitely believe this, partially because even if it had panned out the way they intended it would have been incredibly stupid. The Leia scenes that exist in the movie are uncanny enough as it is, could you imagine how terrible extensive scenes of a real actress acting off of chopped-up Carrie Fisher B-roll would have been?

like if this is true, their best case scenario was "what if rose gets to hang out with our weekend at bernie's leia frankenstein monster." this is a level of bad dumb idea I would not put past this production team lol