• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
There was a ton of work with CG that was never finalized due to how it looked etc. Whole segments of the movie were reworked due to effects issues etc. Rose was the least of their worries to be quite blunt with trying to get this movie out the door to Disneys approval

Therein lies exactly what I said. They knew the amount of material they had for roughly 2 years, and we're supposed to believe the actual intent was to pair Leia with Rose?

I can remember when internet dialogue focused on CGI Leia being an issue back in 2017 (also thanks to Rogue One) when people were wondering what JJ was going to do with Episode 9, so this idea that it wasn't something that J.J., Terrio, etc. could have foreseen is once again bs.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
From the other thread:

In case we get people going 'Why are people angry about KMT's diminished roll?"
P sure Asian characters were in SW before -- there were two in Rogue One alone, just off the top of my head. So, "literally the only Asian representation in Star Wars films" is a bit strong

u-g-F8UMT30.jpg
gtpyt1gdbewiyrlun2pv.gif

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
P sure Asian characters were in SW before -- there were two in Rogue One alone, just off the top of my head.

EDIT: Here's that quote again in case you missed it:

Asides from her, we have Buddhist Monk but Buddist is scribbled out and replaced with Jedi and said Monk's best friend who both die in the same movie they are introduced. Oh, and racist Japanese accents attached to rubber aliens.

...I listed them in that quote. Oh goody, we get 3 Asians total on screen. Lucky us! /s

Fuck off with this attempting to pretend we should be happy.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly a good idea to call out people you work with in Hollywood.

KMT would like to keep her acting career, so she likely isn't going to say shit.

Then I guess we're left with believing what we're told about a scenario that (to me) seems pretty plausible. Or that they are just lying out their ass with the expectation that the person they are lying about is too afraid to correct them

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It's your fault, everyone who hated Rogue One

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the loss of the actor *checks notes* three years ago could not have been taken in to account at any point in the time between film and release.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can be happy or unhappy, but you can't say "KMT is literally our only representation in Star Wars films," which is a direct quote of you, and is not true.

DID YOU READ THE QUOTE OR ARE YOU CHERRY PICKING SO YOU CAN BE TECHNICALLY CORRECT!?!

My god, are we literally at the point where asshole like you tell Asians to be happy with our representation just because you hate a movie? KMT is our sole representative across the main series of movies. With any other coming from a side movie where they all die or from cartoons where I have to guess their race! Out of everything I cannot believe you are trying to outsmart me by cherry picking my statement to act like I don't know that there is more than 1 Asian represenation. And even then, I could be just as petty and mention that she's our sole Asian Actresses with a major role so it wouldn't matter anyway!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe it. Actually, no I can believe it. During the fucking prequels I was told that I had my representation with the fucking Gungans and Neimodians. Of course people would be pedantic and try to decry my fucking point by being a grammar nut!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Blaming this shit on unfinished CGI is a really bad look. Maybe write her a more significant role than hanging around the base.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
According to IGN, Dominic Monaghan only got the role because JJ lost a bet on a World Cup match. It looks like Rose was sidelined to give Dominic a more prominent role.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
To me it seemed like they shot more scenes for her, as well as Dominic Monaghan, and it's stuff that simply got cut.

Given their explanation is that they were specifically tied to Leia, I'm willing to believe their explanation. Honestly, I thought the bulk of the Leia scenes, which happened in the beginning when Rey and them were still at the Rebel base, were the ones that stretched the hardest to make work and a lot of times they just didn't work very seamlessly.

This seems like a scenario where I don't think any explanation is satisfactory for people considering they feel she is a main character after TLJ and she didn't have a role with all the other main characters on their mission. It's a lose-lose.

Nov 11, 2017
I work in film and this seems completely reasonable and something that would happen 🤷🏻‍♂️ Sometimes shit don't work. Unfortunately the final edit has the scars of that clearly visible.!

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern trolling + antagonising other member; multiple infractions for antagonism and condescending posts.
Yeah it means "used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true."
It doesn't, sorry. It has another meaning, the original one, that is the most common meaning, and it was the one intended here, which the author is copping to. We're done here.

DID YOU READ THE QUOTE OR ARE YOU CHERRY PICKING SO YOU CAN BE TECHNICALLY CORRECT!?!

My god, are we literally at the point where asshole like you tell Asians to be happy with our representation just because you hate a movie? KMT is our sole representative across the main series of movies. With any other coming from a side movie where they all die or from cartoons where I have to guess their race! Out of everything I cannot believe you are trying to outsmart me by cherry picking my statement to act like I don't know that there is more than 1 Asian represenation. And even then, I could be just as petty and mention that she's our sole Asian Actresses with a major role so it wouldn't matter anyway!
I'm not just "technically correct," though I certainly am that. You are the one diminishing the contributions of Asian actors to three of the last 4 Star Wars movies released since 2016. Calling them "Buddha" and acting like they were shit when they were in the central cast and got their own posters, claiming that having two legendary Chinese actors rounding out the protagonist crew in a movie that outperformed Episode 9 on its opening weekend amounts to nothing is definitely... a choice. Push for more, sure - more diversity is great, but what is this need to pretend these contributions practically never happened and are essentially worthless? Rogue One you have those two characters just for East Asian representation, plus Riz Ahmed if you want to expand to the rest of the contintent. Then in Episodes 8 and 9 there is Rose and her sister, and there are plenty of side characters like Ken Leung's character, X-Wing pilots, and outside the films there's Tiya Sircar's character, the Battlefront II protagonist ... Yes, I'm going to call out a comment like "KMT is literally our only representation." It isn't true and you erase people's work when you say that.
The best Asian Star Wars characters need to show up in live action at some point
tumblr_ojy7xlmjZ91uwk393o2_400.gif
Been waiting for her to show up in Mandalorian!

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

I'll sound like a dick here. But the actress that played Rose's sister also existed, albeit briefly.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't, sorry. It has another meaning, the original one, that is the most common meaning, and it was the one intended here, which the author is copping to. We're done here.

I'm not just "technically correct," though I certainly am that. You are the one diminishing the contributions of Asian actors to three of the last 4 Star Wars movies released since 2016. Calling them "Buddha" and acting like they were shit when they were in the central cast and got their own posters, claiming that having two legendary Chinese actors rounding out the protagonist crew in a movie that outperformed Episode 9 on its opening weekend amounts to nothing is definitely... a choice. Push for more, sure - more diversity is great, but what is this need to pretend these contributions practically never happened and are essentially worthless? Rogue One you have those two characters just for East Asian representation, plus Riz Ahmed if you want to expand to the rest of the contintent. Then in Episodes 8 and 9 there is Rose and her sister, and there are plenty of side characters like Ken Leung's character, X-Wing pilots, and outside the films there's Tiya Sircar's character, the Battlefront II protagonist ... Yes, I'm going to call out a comment like "KMT is literally our only representation." It isn't true.

Oh my fucking god. You're serious? You're fucking serious? Yes please thank you I'm so glad so many characters are in shit most people will never play while the one main Star Wars line, the only things most people pay attention to by the way, has a grand total of two Asian characters, one of which dies within the first 5 minutes of meeting her! And to throw every minor character in and call that representation. Are you serious?

Are really trying to tell Asians they are wrong with this shit? Are you really here trying to justify a garbage culling of an Asian actress with "But you had minor characters and a fucking VIDEO GAME CHARACTER!" as this? Fuck this and fuck you. I expect you to justify this next time when more Asian actors get minor little rolls as oh so happy proof that we are "progressing!" This makes me fucking sick. GodamnIT!

Deleted member 17810

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's arrogant that so many of you presume to know what happened with this films production and creative intent.

There's ZERO reason not to take them at their word for this. People complain snout a lack of a "plan" for this trilogy but there were plans... Carrie passing away was NOT in the plans.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Star Wars Era, but this thread looks and sounds awfully similar to all the toxic TLJ bullshit we had to endure for the last two years.

If the filmmakers are sharing things about what happened with the production, why is your immediate take to say it's bullshit? Do you watch director commentary with this much scrutiny? Why is it so important that a certain narrative about this movie series be true, and reposted again and again,?

Saying there must be a "real reason" they aren't telling us, and that Disney definitely pandered to 'the haters" (which you are awfully resembling here), this is just devolving into conspiracy nonsense.

I understand that you might think you're not hurting anyone because you're not being racist or sexist with these takes. But this stuff is starting to be just as annoying as "Rian Johnson and the SJWs ruined Star Wars".

If you didn't like the movie, just move on already. We get it. However, there are people who liked these movies and simply wouldnt be able to have a single discussion about it here, because you people keep poisoning threads with all this agony.

Deleted member 17810

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a ton of work with CG that was never finalized due to how it looked etc. Whole segments of the movie were reworked due to effects issues etc. Rose was the least of their worries to be quite blunt with trying to get this movie out the door to Disneys approval

Disney needs to realize that this is their fault. Stop rushing Lucasfilm and let them work their magic.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit, easiest way to deflect this criticism is to blame it on a dead woman that the entire fanbase loved.

This is incredibly disrespectful to Carrie and KMT.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't like the movie, just move on already. We get it. However, there are people who liked these movies and simply wouldnt be able to have a single discussion about it here, because you people keep poisoning threads with all this agony.
I think the main threads have been pretty light. Threads like these are separate from things like the OT I think.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
This could absolutely be true. After all, Terrio is a terrible writer. It's still not good enough IMO.

Also, these scenes he's talking about must've looked pretty awful if the Leia CG in certain other scenes did meet their standard of photorealism.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
On Leia, sometimes I wonder if it would have been a cleaner break if they found a way to wrap up her plotline with TLJ. It was a shitty situation though, but I do feel like the Leia we got here wasn't really Leia.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Then they should have just used CG. It's okay to acknowledge that Fisher passed away. Don't let that hinder the narrative. Rose could have been a great part of the main team.

Also, CG Leia and Luke training flashback was straight up awesome.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not just "technically correct," though I certainly am that. You are the one diminishing the contributions of Asian actors to three of the last 4 Star Wars movies released since 2016. Calling them "Buddha" and acting like they were shit when they were in the central cast and got their own posters, claiming that having two legendary Chinese actors rounding out the protagonist crew in a movie that outperformed Episode 9 on its opening weekend amounts to nothing is definitely... a choice. Push for more, sure - more diversity is great, but what is this need to pretend these contributions practically never happened and are essentially worthless? Rogue One you have those two characters just for East Asian representation, plus Riz Ahmed if you want to expand to the rest of the contintent. Then in Episodes 8 and 9 there is Rose and her sister, and there are plenty of side characters like Ken Leung's character, X-Wing pilots, and outside the films there's Tiya Sircar's character, the Battlefront II protagonist ... Yes, I'm going to call out a comment like "KMT is literally our only representation." It isn't true and you erase people's work when you say that.

Been waiting for her to show up in Mandalorian!
You're a racist idiot.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
On Leia, sometimes I wonder if it would have been a cleaner break if they found a way to wrap up her plotline with TLJ. It was a shitty situation though, but I do feel like the Leia we got here wasn't really Leia.
It would have been difficult knowing how they used her specifically in relation to Ben, but yeah.

Also about effects not being up to standards. This is actually probably a pretty good reason for cut scenes that involved Rose. The schedule this movie had was about 6 months less than the other two movies due to the director change. Industrial Light and Magic also has been contracting independent visual effects artists in the past two years because of tight schedules imposed on them from Lucasfilm (Disney more specifically).

BUT. Rose was getting a diminished role regardless of what footage they could use. She was never to going to amount more than a few speaking lines. They had the entire last act to use her in an action role and choose not to.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Her death should've been the opening words in the crawl of ROS, with the fallout of it being the excuse to push Kylo in whatever direction the creators wanted. Could've even done some stupid 'wants to revive her so he goes looking for Sith secrets...oops, Palpatine is still kicking!' to mirror Anakin and Padme.

What they chose to do was the worst course to take, this wasn't an "Oh shit, she died during filming what are we going to do?", they chose the option that was always going to be a problem.

Oct 25, 2017
uncelestial Responding to an Asian person lamenting how few prominent, living Asian characters there are in Star Wars, a series with Nute Gunray as an obvious Asian stereotype, and pulling a "well ackshully" about the word literally is incredibly asinine.