• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had a serious sore throat/cold this year when usually I'm on my second by now

I hate that it fogs up my glasses

But I also have learned that I think some masks look kinda attractive on people so that's fun for me

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Sometimes my wife is buying the groceries now because she knows I am exceedingly sensitive to any kind of limitation to breathing.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
In Australia when things were first looking bad I was one of the few people out and about wearing a mask. The good thing was for someone reason it made people avoid you like the plague. Worked for me as it meant people actually kept their distance.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
Learned that i had unpleasant breath. I never would have realised otherwise. That has now been fixed lol

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Keeps my face warm. I don't gotta smile if I don't want to, but I also can smile if I feel like it without looking like a weirdo. Also, my mask is pretty cute; I'm not into makeup, and it's been surprisingly nice having face decoration.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had a cold once since wearing a mask. Seems like everyone around me were always battling colds before masks became the regular thing.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
my mask saved me from my 80+ year old landlord seeing my facial expressions when she told me she had a UTI and she felt pressure on her clitoris when peeing

I'm not even joking I don't know why she decided to tell me this

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I actually have angular cheleitis which I am often self conscious about so the masks thing really makes me feel at ease

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Expected positives: I look far more cis-passing with a mask on. Someone even gave seats to me on a train because I look like a pregnant cis woman :(

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i tried to think hard, but i got nothing really, getting kinda tired of it tbh. sometimes gotta wear one for 10+ hours a day and i just feel way more exhausted than i would if there wasnt this thing blocking my breathing.

but you gotta do it, even if you hate it.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
If you eat cheese and onion crisps and then put the mask on, you can just walk around huffing that sweet cheese and onion smell for a good couple of minutes.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Feeling zero pressure to smile has done wonders. I hate having to fake a pleasant response at the sight of other people. I'm being mildly facetious here.

The biggest one for me is that even though I still have to physically go to and from a job the same as pre-pandemic, I'm getting sick way, way less. That's the entire point of the masks, yes, but we are doing it for covid-19.... when it actually helps with halting the spread of lots of other things, like cold/flu. And I really have benefitted from it, as someone who's immune system is terrible.

My biggest post-covid-19 hope is that the wearing of masks in the USA becomes more normalized for the long haul. It's not okay how we cram onto buses/trains during cold/flu season and get each-other sick like we just don't care. People don't have to be feel miserable with preventable illnesses multiple times a year if we could be more respectful about how we interact in public, and masks can help a lot.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
-Probably not having to smell another person's breath, especially by remaining distant. Some people get way too close.

-Haven't been sick all year. Granted, I rarely get sick, but I'm sure masks have helped.

-With the cooler weather it helps keep my nose and overall lower part of my face warmer.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I actually grin like a complete idiot under my mask and no one will know! Love walking by people with a hidden smile. :)

Uncle Classy

Oct 27, 2017
No one can see me silently mumbling to myself while out in public.

I haven't contracted any illnesses since March.

Oct 27, 2017
None.

I had an insane amount of ache for months and now have to apply a face cream under there to stop outbreaks. It doesn't stop them completely, so I still have some ache spots, but it's much better than what it was pre-cream.

Have you been checked for allergies? This was happening to a friend of mine until he switched laundry detergents. Might be worth looking into. That face cream ain't cheap.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone on the spectrum with what was once called Asperger's I am surprised at how the wearing of masks by myself and those around me has allowed me to communicate and interact more freely and easily. It usually takes me a while to get used to someone enough that I can make small talk, joke around and so on. I'm not standoffish even before the pandemic but something about the mask just makes these small interactions much easier.

I've told folks who have asked what it's like on the spectrum for me that people's faces are hard for me to look at, especially for strangers and doubly so if I need to look someone in the eyes. If I had to guess it's the masks hiding most of my face as well as everyone else's just calms some of my anxiety and makes it easier to open up and interact. I am even able to make eye contact a lot easier even the masks themselves do nothing about that.

I'm even able to flirt a lot easier and seemingly have gotten more attention as well. Probably doesn't hurt that I've lost about 40 lbs and have gotten back into shape but still it continually surprises me how different the wearing of masks makes my day to day interactions with other people.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
A lot of trans people I know have said it helps with passing and not getting harrassed

I also like how I can mouth the words to songs I'm listening to and not look weird on the street

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
It's actually helped with my allergies, particularly when outside running. Getting used to running with a mask during summer is also helpful going into winter where I'll want to wear one just to keep my face warm.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
BFO35Md.jpg

I look like a Mortal Kombat ninja with my hood on.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I live in a cold place and never wear scarves. So, it's nice how warm it is on my face.

Also, mixed with a hoody, it reduces my social anxiety quite a bit. It feels like I'm hiding. So it's pretty cozy.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The office tends to be unbearably cold at work, so the mask helps keep my face warm.

Also, there are masks with pretty cool designs on them.

Also, mixed with a hoody, it reduces my social anxiety quite a bit. It feels like I'm hiding. So it's pretty cozy.
Yup, +1 on this.