• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of anything, you made it weird OP by your reaction.

My nephew is 5 and watching stranger things and playing Mortal Kombat 11 and is fine. He's chatty and comfortable with adults and can hold conversations

I've other Nephews who are much older 12 and 14 and are restricted to fortnite and the like and honestly they are the ones who are touchy about things. Because it was overly hyped and restricted all their life.

I wonder how much your kids had even noticed.

TIL it is better that children become desensitized to violence at an early age

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
This one's old and obscure, but it's pretty funny.

585130-get-off-my-garden-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Get Off My Garden is a very simple game where you have to water some flowers while avoiding obstacles. So far, so typical 80s Euro budget game.
On the top of the screen, a scrolling message is constantly displayed. It's rather lengthy, so most people probably won't read all of it. If you stick around however, the message takes a rather interesting turn. Suddenly, the writer goes on a monologue about bongs, explaining what they look like and what they're used for.

24084.png

get-off-my-garden_3.png

OP
OP
Genetrik

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
That second video with the Knack sequence isn't inappropriate in the slightest. You're right OP, all parents have different standards, and I'll be honest here and say that I don't really shelter my daughter from violence, but what was inappropriate about the second video? Noone seemed to get hurt, one side ran into the forest while the humans just remain on that wall they were on. Was it the mere fact that a weapon was shown being fired? Seems a bit.....overboard for me, in terms of considering that inappropriate, but that's just my opinion.

I should have added more context to the Knack video: that was when my daughters were 4 and 2 and I thought they could just watch the game. I was just surprised at that opening with guns and war since also back then I had assumed the game to be super child friendly (now I will remember to read the PEGI ratings better in future). Anyway that was way too much war and "real violence" for my taste to play it it front of my girls.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I know this scene was part of the movie, but was I the only one to feel uneasy seeing this whenever you died in the game?

hqdefault.jpg

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I should have added more context to the Knack video: that was when my daughters were 4 and 2 and I thought they could just watch the game. I was just surprised at that opening with guns and war since also back then I had assumed the game to be super child friendly (now I will remember to read the PEGI ratings better in future). Anyway that was way too much war and "real violence" for my taste to play it it front of my girls.
Ah, alright then. I suppose I can understand that. Different cultures view things very differently, and I can understand wanting to keep the horrors of war away from your children a while longer. I grew up in a military family, so perhaps I'm slightly desensitized to that type of thing as a result of how I was raised, such is why I didn't understand what was offensive about it. I certainly don't want my daughter to join the military as I hated it when I was in, so perhaps keeping her away from realistic war violence like that would have actually been the more sensible parenting option, but it's not the choice I made when raising my daughter. I get your view point though, for sure; hell it might be the right one. Thanks for the conversation at any rate.

Oct 28, 2017

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Nah that was known at the time, I remember playing it as a kid on my amiga and found out about it. Def fits the thread though as I remember 11 year old me sitting there wondering wtf was going on there!

I remember playing that game on Amiga too but apparently the teen that owned the system either did not know or he did not want to show us the content to avoid problems with his and our parents. I guess it was the latter. Though he showed us Party Games

Oct 28, 2017
The old rating of K-A definitely was pretty vague, though. It was like the old PG rating before 13. I mean, Crash Bandicoot was K-A before the E and T ratings were established and they ceratainly weren't without inappropriate material. It probably would have been T if released later.

The T rating existed from the beginning of the ESRB and the E rating was just a renaming of K-A that happened a few years later; nothing else was changed at that time. The big change was the addition of the E10+ in 2005 to fill in that nebulous gray area between E and T, and that's the rating the remastered N. Sane Trilogy was given.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NNK2 is weird in that 90 percent of the game is like, a story for 5 year olds, dumber and less appealing to adults than even the worst Dreamworks movie, and then the other stuff is like, "Im the president of the United States and here's my handgun!"

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Crash Team Racing with my kids and there's this cool looking DeLorean knock-off dlc car called... Probulot 2000 lol. The kids really want the car but I don't have enough coins yet but I'm certainly calling it Probe You Lot even if it's supposed to be Probe a lot (not sure).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Some of the win animations in Mario Strikers Charged. Waluigi basically tells you to suck it and Daisy declares herself hot stuff while showing her rear.

(1:43 if it doesn't start there automatically.)

(3:34 if it doesn't start there automatically.)

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017

Puyo Puyo Tetris' localization team had a ball with the script. Too bad the dub wasn't up to the same standard.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Mega Man Battle Network 2 has one of my favorites:

GBA--Megaman%20Battle%20Network%202_Jan13%2018_05_17.png

And the game was just shockingly dark and intense in tone throughout in general. Same with Battle Network 3, to a slightly lesser extent. I loved it, haha.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
The Babs sub-story in Dragon Quest Builders 2 is an odd inclusion for an E10+ game. (And just inappropriate in general.)

Dragon Quest has always been shockingly horny for what is considered a "family" series in Japan. The first game introduced "Puff-Puff"ing into the gaming lexicon.
Puff-puff_8.jpg

(Screenshot from 8, but what do you think those Slimes represent?)

Eventually CERO caught up to them, and later re-releases of the series occasionally tone things down to keep it's standard "A" Rating.
PS2 said:

3DS said:

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know it's not child friendly, but Valkyria Chronicles 4 is much more liberal with the cursing and innuendo than the first couple games.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Of course it's anecdotal, it's an anecdote.

Meaning it's useless as an argument.

You tell me you never saw the kids denied everything turn out to be the weird ones?

I've far more often seen the kids whose parents set no limits grow up to be insufferable and incontrollable assholes, and kids that were actually parented grow up to be loving and well adjusted; several examples of both, on my generation, and also my generation's kids (I'm over 40). But of course, my own anecdotes don't line up with your narrative, so you will summarily ignore them.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I got caught once...

I don't have any problem showing PG13-ish games to my kids. I warn them often enough that what's in the TV STAYS in the TV, games are fiction, don't go doing that at school, yada yada and they usually get the message because they know that gaming is a privilege (and that I'm lucky enough to have good, smart kids overall).

They're watching me playing Persona 5 which is a very PG13-ish game overall. My kids liked P4 and P5 is just oozing with style so they're hooked to the dungeon gameplay as I lose them when it's time to invest on social links.

I'm in the first dungeon of the school teacher who loves girl and it shows female statues with bikinis. Ok so far...

Then I get to the first miniboss (which is the top part of a man's private part).

I am completely speechless, I'm currently fighting a man's genital part in front of my young boys. It's clear as water for me.

What do I say? What are they seeing right now?

My oldest son then says "It's a funny mushroom you're fighting!"

THAT'S IT! It's a mushroom!

I got a clear example that kids have a different vision of what us adults see when they don't have to deal with adult stuff at an early age.

I'm not sure if I'll tell them this anecdote when they're older.

Of course, I don't expect such a different vision in a more realistic game such as Call of Duty or GTA so this is why these games are off-limit for them until they get old enough to play them.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Drawn to Life The Next Chapter on DS would count because it contains out of nowhere horrifying and potential traumatic scenes that kinda inappropriate for kids.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I got caught once...

I don't have any problem showing PG13-ish games to my kids. I warn them often enough that what's in the TV STAYS in the TV, games are fiction, don't go doing that at school, yada yada and they usually get the message because they know that gaming is a privilege (and that I'm lucky enough to have good, smart kids overall).

They're watching me playing Persona 5 which is a very PG13-ish game overall. My kids liked P4 and P5 is just oozing with style so they're hooked to the dungeon gameplay as I lose them when it's time to invest on social links.

I'm in the first dungeon of the school teacher who loves girl and it shows female statues with bikinis. Ok so far...

Then I get to the first miniboss (which is the top part of a man's private part).

I am completely speechless, I'm currently fighting a man's genital part in front of my young boys. It's clear as water for me.

I got a clear example that kids have a different vision of what us adults see when they don't have to deal with adult stuff at an early age.

Of course, I don't expect such a different vision in a more realistic game such as Call of Duty or GTA so this is why these games are off-limit for them until they get old enough to play them.
That thing is called Mara, and it's basically a running gag in Shin Megami Tensei games. I assume you haven't beaten the game yet, because the thing you fight in the first dungeon isn't even its true form, and let's just say that the real version of it is much harder to pass off as a mushroom.

OP
OP
Genetrik

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, alright then. I suppose I can understand that. Different cultures view things very differently, and I can understand wanting to keep the horrors of war away from your children a while longer. I grew up in a military family, so perhaps I'm slightly desensitized to that type of thing as a result of how I was raised, such is why I didn't understand what was offensive about it. I certainly don't want my daughter to join the military as I hated it when I was in, so perhaps keeping her away from realistic war violence like that would have actually been the more sensible parenting option, but it's not the choice I made when raising my daughter. I get your view point though, for sure; hell it might be the right one. Thanks for the conversation at any rate.

I totally get your perspective as well. Growing up in a military family has to create a different view point for sure (on top of any cultural differences).
My 8 months mandatory military service was also a time that I won't be missing ;)

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got caught once...

Are you serious? Persona 5 is rated M. What did you expect? Even Persona 4 is rated M. Sounds funny and I don't think that there is big harm, but both games have their ratings for a good reason. :P

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Genetrik In that Knack scene there isn't ONE single human or orc hit by either faction, they all misses their shots... if you are really concerned by those type of content... oh boy... good luck on your parenting, it's gonna be hard.