• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I purchased Ni No Kuni II since it looked really child friendly and I had played the first game quit a bit. Therefore I was familiar with the game world and I assumed that also this game is child friendly enough so I can play it with my daughters (7 and 4).

But then this scene happened after 30min of play time:

(Time stamp: 2:10)

There had been a scene with a gun before that made me uncomfortable playing this in front of the girls but when suddenly the same character shoots a monster in the head including a blood effect, I turned off the game immediately.

I am not sure if I dare to play this game again since I do not know if more inappropriate scenes such as this may come (as the character still has his pistol). Would love to know this as a side question.

Another example for me was Knack where in the opening there is a war happening with everyone shooting around.

(Time stamp 0:27)

Obviously every parent has different standards and maybe the scene(s) above is /are perfectly fine for some of you. For me it was not.

But I would love to hear your examples where you bought a game so you can play it with your kids and suddenly there was a totally inappropriate moment in an otherwise child friendly looking game?

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The PEGI rating for Ni No Kuni 2 is PEGI 12 though, and has the following description:

This game has been rated PEGI 12 for depictions of realistic looking violence towards a fantasy character, and depictions of non-realistic looking violence towards human-like characters. Not suitable for persons under 12 years of age.

Follow the rating advice and you wont run into those types of situations.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Ni No Kuni 2 is rated T for Teen / PEGI 12.

As for KNACK, that being an issue just sounds like you're afraid of showing your kids that guns exist?

Anyway, parent however you like, but there must be better examples of what you're getting at.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I bought Sine Mora on the Switch eShop without realizing it was rated M and played in front of my kids for a few minutes before characters started screaming "What the fuck" and I quickly turned it off.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
The game is rated T by ESRB in the states... there are many games with light/cartoonish art direction, but that doesn't mean they're kid friendly.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That one "Press A to Pound" scene in Pokemon Sun and Moon.

I thought it was fine, but the internet had a field day with it. It was also removed from Ultra Sun and Moon, so I guess someone at Game Freak or NIntendo decided it was too "risque" or whatever.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is in a Kirby game:

2uDISOd.png

Granted it's not exactly easy to notice without looking at the full level layout

Still dunno how it slipped by, honestly

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of the time when I was playing Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando back when it first came out and at the end Captain Qwark was saying how he used a hydro-waxinator and how "there were no tags on his luggage" and I just remember my dad overhearing that and just start cracking up lmao

MDR

Jun 21, 2018
lol that Ni No Kuni 2 scene, the dude just pull a piece and blast the fool, i thought it was a fantasy RPG?

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
The whimsical art style of Ni No Kuni 2 does not make it a child friendly game, OP. Like others have said the rating tells you it isn't child friendly.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of some of the penis levels in the early LittleBigPlanet days. Those were some good times.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the time when I was playing Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando back when it first came out and at the end Captain Qwark was saying how he used a hydro-waxinator and how "there were no tags on his luggage" and I just remember my dad overhearing that and just start cracking up lmao
I guess the series titles also went over your head?

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, Ni No Kuni 2 has a Teen rating and I don't really see the problem with the Knack clip. Wouldn't be out of place on a saturday morning cartoon like GI Joe or Transformers or something.

I can't think of any other examples aside from hidden jokes that would go over the heads of kids anyway.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon has so many of these. From sniffing beds, to vibrating dolls for single women, machamp costumes to attract girls...

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I purchased Ni No Kuni II since it looked really child friendly and I had played the first game quit a bit.
No offense, but this one's really on you. The game is rated T in North America and there's tons of online resources for parents on content these days (I recommend Common Sense Media if you're looking for specifics). "It looked really child friendly" is a recipe for disaster and anyone who's a gaming enthusiast should really know better.

Knack is rated E10, too.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Mother 3 is a Cero all-ages game and I would imagine it being pretty troubling thematically for a lot of kids.

No offense, but this one's really on you. The game is rated T in North America and there's tons of online resources for parents on content these days (I recommend Common Sense Media if you're looking for specifics). "It looked really child friendly" is a recipe for disaster and anyone who's a gaming enthusiast should really know better.

Knack is rated E10, too.

imagine showing a very young kid Princess Mononoke because the Ghibli art is cute and they liked Totoro.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of anything, you made it weird OP by your reaction.

My nephew is 5 and watching stranger things and playing Mortal Kombat 11 and is fine. He's chatty and comfortable with adults and can hold conversations

I've other Nephews who are much older 12 and 14 and are restricted to fortnite and the like and honestly they are the ones who are touchy about things. Because it was overly hyped and restricted all their life.

I wonder how much your kids had even noticed.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Hell Yeah somehow got a T rating, but the game is chock full of blood, gore and sexual innuendo. I think the ESRB goes easy on games with cartoony graphics.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spider-Man for PS1 has hostages that can be murdered, suicide bombers who blow up the building if you're too slow, the What If mode has a hostage telling you to just kill him (I think it's a movie reference), there is a picture of a girl in a bikini, etc. and the game was rated E.