• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Groups fighting against racial inequalities have called for a traditional Walloon parade to be stripped of its UNESCO credentials due to the way Belgium's colonial past is depicted in the procession.

The Ducasse d'Ath parade sees residents of the Walloon town of the same name take part in a historical procession, which lasts several days and in which giant figures depicting local and national history are carried through the town.

The parade, which takes place each year on the fourth Sunday of August, was in 2008 recognised by UNESCO as one of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.

One of the characters, known as "The Savage," is meant to depict Belgium's colonial past, which in past editions of the parade is played by a man in blackface.

As the town prepares to celebrate the parade, Bruxelles Panthères, a Brussels-based group fighting against racial inequalities called out the presence of the character on Facebook.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
"I can understand that someone who does not know the Ducasse can be surprised by what they see," he told the outlet, adding "In that case, it must be explained to them that the 'Savage' today does not have the same meaning than when it was first created."
How about you just remove the damn blackface character?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I know, right? Gotta have those traditions.
I'm Austrian, and we got our own blackface thing. Luckily, it's slowly going away, but... very slowly. You'll still see blackface (and yellowface) kids in the first week of December. Shameful. Not for the kids, of course, they're not told how fucked up the whole thing is. But shame on the adults who keep pushing that garbage.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
So this is kind of like Zwarte Piet, where it's "not actually racist or blackface" and those that criticize it "just don't understand tradition"

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
'It's not actually what it looks like'

So what is it supposed to look like?

Oct 25, 2017
Countries with sub-5% black populations and structural racism against the black and immigrant communities doing blackface will never stop disgusting me

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, even Zwarte Piet isn't as blatant.

Like, this thing goes all in. Blackface, red lips, name (The Savage), chains, "tribal" attire, animalistic behavior... Hard to get any more transparent. The only thing it's missing is a banana*.

* For Europeans, the racist stereotypical food of a black person wouldn't necessarily be a watermelon or chicken like in the US, but a banana as a way to depict them as... a monkey, of course.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
safe_image.php

wtf

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
"Stop forcing your American viewpoint on a country like Belgium with no history of blackface or Jim Crow"

*Belgian plantation soldiers in Congo murder 2 of a worker's children for delivering under quota*

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The real racists are the people are against this racist depiction of black people or something.

Bloody hell... didn't even know this was a thing.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, yikes.

While it technically wasn't a Belgian colony at the time, being a personal holding of its king, Leopold II, the atrocities committed by Congo Free State officials were bad enough that even the other 19th Century colonial European powers thought they were fucked up.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i mean, you might be personally alright, but enough euro posters choke on their own Smug on the subject of race (in also completely unprovoked ways) that i'm really not feeling too bad about antagonizing

I'm sure there are people like that on here (and elsewhere), and that there are enough of them for you to notice them. I'm not doubting that at all.

Here are my 2 problems with posts like yours:
1. While I imagine it's quite easy to know whether the people who are defending these traditions are Europeans, you don't necessarily know who among the critics are also Europeans, therefore making it kinda hard to assess how many of these "non-racist Europe" apologists there actually are;

2. You're creating an antagonism even before a single one of those people has appeared in the thread. 19 people have posted in this thread so far. The only people who've come out as Europeans have criticized the tradition, and nobody has defended it so far. Yet, 4 people are already pretty directly calling out Europeans/European apologists.

Like, seriously, what's with the preemptive snarkiness? What's the point? We can just report them (or even demolish them in the thread, they probably deserve it) and have an actually interesting conversation in the meantime, can't we?

Personally, I'll admit I don't have much to add on the topic. It's an offensively backwards tradition and they should at the very least remove the Savage character entirely, but I'm not from Belgium, nor do I know this tradition, so I can't offer any particular insight other than "colonialism ho!"

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Something something don't understand the implications. Like some dickhead isn't chomping at the bit to play the part so they can act out the 'savage'.

Just gut it and everything like it from the festival, there's zero reason for it to be there. Same for all of these other veiled excuses to stay in the headlines once a year over some dumb racist parade, sorry important cultural tradition.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Something something don't understand the implications. Like some dickhead isn't chomping at the bit to play the part so they can act out the 'savage'.

Just gut it and everything like it from the festival, there's zero reason for it to be there.
Literally just an excuse to act racist. Would there be a remembrance day parade in the uk with some dressing as a nazi?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Literally just an excuse to act racist. Would there be a remembrance day parade in the uk with some dressing as a nazi?
Nope. It's trash that this is even a conversation, let alone one that's repeated year on year for numerous places with their numerous bullshit traditions/parades.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
No one gets the irony between this and the suppose meaning of the parade?

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
There aren't a fraction as many European people who claim Europe isn't racist as there are Americans who jump on every thread about racism in Europe with snarky comments about it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Waiting for arguments about how blackfaces isn't racist.

Funny how "non racist" character depictions aren't accurate regarding skin tone let alone other equally arbitrary features. It's almost as if it's actually racist.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Some Americans in this thread sure have a chip on their shoulder, lol

That said, holy hell that is awful blackface.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
As a European I can't say it's completely unwarranted. There's been some spectacularly stupid takes around Europe and race issues, with users digging in and fighting the culture fight or suddenly getting confused over exactly what blackface is. Don't call the fire brigade before a fire, sure, but I can see why people are carrying buckets.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

After that one thread on the gaming side everyone should understand why. That was a shit show of ignorance. People definitely should chill as no one has defended it yet in this thread but its hard to not be preemptive on this issue of blackface in Europe. Its so fucked up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn he's even called The Savage.

They ain't fuckin around with the racism in this one.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
As a European I can't say it's completely unwarranted. There's been some spectacularly stupid takes around Europe and race issues, with users digging in and fighting the culture fight or suddenly getting confused over exactly what blackface is. Don't call the fire brigade before a fire, sure, but I can see why people are carrying buckets.
in my case i, uh, took one look at that gaming-side thread Green Slime King mentioned and that's why my posts in here exist at all

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I'm black in Europe. At least I'm not scared to be fucking shot every time I see a policeman , brother.

If the biggest issue you could find to finally get this out of your chest...

I need you to digest how my comment has you so upset yet I'm the one that has to deal with fucked up police like you said.....

Plenty of issues to speak on but it also seems you chose to ignore this one and just take a stab at my comment instead

I don't even understand your anger lol

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
The only upside of this I've seen here so far is that it's so bad and so blatant that no one's popping up in the thread to defend it, for once.

Also, for what it's worth, Belgium's the last imperialistic country on earth that should be celebrating their colonial history in any capacity...

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I'm sure they can find a way to depict Belgium's colonial past in a way that's not a blatant racist stereotype.

Erm... Given that Belgium had by far the worst colonial history ( Leopold the second...) This is one of those instances where there is no way to depict it. Seriously shit was cruel even for slavists and colonialism standards. We are talking hitler plus level

I need you to digest how my comment has you so upset yet I'm the one that has to deal with fucked up police like you said.....

Plenty of issues to speak on but it also seems you chose to ignore this one and just take a stab at my comment instead

I don't even understand your anger lol
My friend, when disgusting stories come from your country we give you sympathy, empathy and we suffer with you. Immagine my anger, yes you chose the correct word, when I see one of my brothers using an instance of racism in Europe to even things out.

Instead of being angry because this is probably one of the worst cases of racism you can find in western Europe, like you would dream of in a country where minorities have 200 years plus of history, you decide that this is the occasion to settle things between who is more racist.

Yes, I am angry, if in your mind black lives lost are the same thing as a black face costume in a historical carinival in a small country

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Erm... Given that Belgium had by far the worst colonial history ( Leopold the second...) This is one of those instances where there is no way to depict it. Seriously shit was cruel even for slavists and colonialism standards. We are talking hitler plus level

My friend, when disgusting stories come from your country we give you sympathy, empathy and we suffer with you. Immagine my anger, yes you chose the correct word, when I see one of my brothers using an instance of racism in Europe to even things out.

Instead of being angry because this is probably one of the worst cases of racism you can find in western Europe, like you would dream of in a country where minorities have 200 years plus of history, you decide that this is the occasion to settle things between who is more racist.

Yes, I am angry, if in your mind black lives lost are the same thing as a black face costume in a historical carinival in a small country

Big fella, my post was me taking a swipe at people who always downplay racial issues in Europe be by claiming it doesn't exist or such issues were "overcame"

if anything, I'm backing the Europeans who face those issues and reinforcing that such racism is a very real thing that happens, even in Europe.

I didn't downplay the issue.
I didn't make any racist olympics comparison
I didn't say European racism is worse than American racism

My comment isn't even targeting you, thats why Im so confused how you extrapolated ALL of those notions from one simple sentence I made.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Belgium?

I think its only fair they cut the hand of the person cosplaying a black person. Just to be historically accurate to the war crim- I mean heritage!

Victim_of_Congo_atrocities_Congo_ca._1890-1910_IMP-CSCNWW33-OS10-19-ROHUBP6DwEQPYHPlPvd4gmN-1200x800%40GP-Web-688x400.jpg

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
this is probably one of the worst cases of racism you can find in western Europe,

I thought this forum community had gotten past this kind of misinformation when discussing Racism in European countries, but I guess if a discussion topic doesn't have enough Black/Brown European representation this kind of nonsense will still find a way to sneak in even after years of discussions and topics proving otherwise.