• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
God I love this and it actually helps explain why KH's story sucks so hard. But god do I adore that shitty story telling.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I'm dying, 11 minutes in and what starts as a simple story devolves into insanity. Which I suppose mirrors KH pretty well.

God I love this and it actually helps explain why KH's story sucks so hard. But god do I adore that shitty story telling.

I don't think the overlaying complexity inherently makes the story "suck".

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't figure out what the hell he was doing with BBS until he said "Ventus Diagram" and now I cannot stop laughing about it.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm dying, 11 minutes in and what starts as a simple story devolves into insanity. Which I suppose mirrors KH pretty well.

I don't think the overlaying complexity inherently makes the story "suck".
I think it does go to show that trying to perform a Hero's Journey in every game, while not actually committing to the full circle, lends itself to a high amount of complexity. It's not inherently bad, no, but it becomes increasingly difficult to keep things straight.

It's one of the reasons that I think some of the Wheel of Time books are pretty bad. They don't commit to the bit, so to speak and they just have portions of a Hero's Journey within the greater one.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
This was great. An actually funny version of the "kingdom hearts is confusing" jokes that gamers are always limply trotting out.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It seems like nobody cared about Kingdom hearts for years and it's presumed non sense story and all of the sudden everyone has summary video's ready to go haha.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Just explain KH they said just explain KH they said............................. bwhahahhahahahahahhahahahaahahha cying :D:D:D

106c4b87_o.png

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it does go to show that trying to perform a Hero's Journey in every game, while not actually committing to the full circle, lends itself to a high amount of complexity. It's not inherently bad, no, but it becomes increasingly difficult to keep things straight.

It's one of the reasons that I think some of the Wheel of Time books are pretty bad. They don't commit to the bit, so to speak and they just have portions of a Hero's Journey within the greater one.
Speaking seriously for a minute. You wouldn't try and jam all the stories of KH in to a single Heroes journey. Each story would have its own heroes journey. That's how most sequels work. This was only done for comic effect. (Sorry to be a party pooper).

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Time travel and data world/sleeping world stuff aside, the thing about KH is that it stops being the hero's journey (singular) by KH2 and ends up being the story of many heroes, even though Sora is still the prime hero, but that's all what causes the simple and clean, if you will, hero's circle to crumble on itself.

That's not to mention the main villain himself is prominent enough in this series that you need to give him his own circle as well. If Xehanort wasn't a villain he'd be a full fleshed protagonist.

It seems like nobody cared about Kingdom hearts for years and it's presumed non sense story and all of the sudden everyone has summary video's ready to go haha.

Gotta strike when the iron is hot and all that.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Speaking seriously for a minute. You wouldn't try and jam all the stories of KH in to a single Heroes journey. Each story would have its own heroes journey. That's how most sequels work. This was only done for comic effect. (Sorry to be a party pooper).
Oh, for sure. It's why I cited the Wheel of Time. Several of the books are big fat nothing's because their own Hero's Journey just doesn't go anywhere. KH's primary issue (imo) is that it jumps all around and each game doesn't have it's own Hero's Journey. BBS, for example, has a fairly coherent story because it finishes itself up with a bow where as Dream Drop Distance just... doesn't. Throwing in seemingly random terms doesn't help with most of the games, either.

Time travel and data world/sleeping world stuff aside, the thing about KH is that it stops being the hero's journey (singular) by KH2 and ends up being the story of many heroes, even though Sora is still the prime hero, but that's all what causes the simple and clean, if you will, hero's circle to crumble on itself.

That's not to mention the main villain himself is prominent enough in this series that you need to give him his own circle as well...
I think part of the problem, too, is that they keep introducing a new hero (Axel/Lea for example) with 0 context behind them. It's like meeting a character that's already on Seizing the Sword without ever being told/shown anything about their journey up until that point, and you never get told.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how I felt the story become unwieldy just with CoM, I can't imagine trying to keep up with all of these plot threads as the games came out.

Which is sad because I really liked how seemingly selfcontained KH1 was.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I lost my shit at "Nort Boy Redux" and his reaction to Vanitas. Using the relative simplicity of KH1's story as set-up to the punchline of how freaking wacky things get from that point onwards was perfect.

God, how I enjoy this stupid fucking story.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Brian David Gilbert continues to be a national treasure.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Is the norted stuff in KH1 or nah because it sounds like KH1 is at least relatively simple and clean

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Thought this was going to be better than than usual "Let's explain the story poorly as a joke" videos, but it wasn't.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This feels almost exactly like my trajectory with the series' story, but way more hilariously portrayed. Love it. BDG is doing great work. :p