• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best stealth games I've ever played

9947b3d4e77cbf0f0fd072c8e9f67fc1.jpg

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong '94 is one of Nintendo's best games ever but I figure most people have never played it

39092-donkey-kong-game-boy-front-cover.jpg

Life is Strange 2 has a stronger narrative and message than the first, but the first two episodes are its weakest so I don't think enough people gave it a chance.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no doubt that if more people gave Tell Me Why a chance, it'd be one of their favorite games of last year.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Arise: A Simple Story, finished it a week ago and it was a really heartwarming experience with simple but fun gameplay, each level offers some nice ideas

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Total Annihilation (1997 RTS). The streaming resource system was truly unique compared to many (all?) other RTS games at the time. The scale and destruction, debris on the ground after big battles, long range weapons, UI that allowed to queue all kinds of actions compared to just navigating around and so on. Soundtrack was also awesome (same composer as in Skyrim afaik).

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
61jut9gKTaL._SX425_.jpg

Nier (PS3/360). Its MC is 68, but I'd rate it much higher (it's probably my favorite PS3 game). I think folks who have played it, plus its NG+ routes, would agree. Really wish this game would get the Bluepoint treatment.
Not going to lie, I bought that put it in and it was simply too ugly to play. If there was a full on nice looking remake I'd try it.

My game I think is underrated would be Man Eater, simple, stupid fun I loved it.

OIP.RC2m9GsaabLpXR83Xod5EwHaEA

Oct 28, 2017
Wolfenstein (2009)
A very solid fps game, with great gunplay and the medallion gave just enough spice so it's not just another ww2 shooter.
Tomb Raider Underworld
It's a kinda buggy and it's dlc is trapped on x360 but has good puzzles and just the amount of moves Lara can pull off by player input pales anything seen in the latest trilogy.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Driver: San Francisco was secretly one of the best games of the 360/PS3 gen, by my money, and I'm guessing it wasn't a big seller. Most reviews I've seen for the game have it hovering around the 6/10 to 8/10 spot, and I just don't get how folks didn't get into the shift mechanic & driving sensation in this game. I just bought it for PC so I didn't need to boot up my PS3 to play it.

5PWzZe0.png

The scope and creativity in this game is second-to-none for the genre, and it did things no other video game has really tried since. Split-screen tag mode alone was worth the $60 price tag. I'm surprised, to this day, it wasn't championed a la Burnout Paradise.

Split screen tag:

I applaud the resources put into this game, because the concept was new and unproven. The dialog alone when body-swapping is hilarious.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Zanki Zero on PS4/PC. I thought it was a really cool dungeon crawler by the Danganronpa devs but no one ever talks about it. Even the OT was pretty much dead.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Hadn't even heard of Blasphemous until Arlo on Youtube did a year end highlight real. It's like classic Castlevania meets ... Metrovania... (which is weird that it somehow captures both parts)... meets a tiiiny bit of Souls in gameplay, and a lot more Souls in tone.

Just really gorgeous and haunting and incredible to explore.

And I didn't hear about it until a year + after release.

L9STT6im9kcophBiFBRgSZ.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
Hadn't even heard of Blasphemous until Arlo on Youtube did a year end highlight real. It's like classic Castlevania meets ... Metrovania... (which is weird that it somehow captures both parts)... meets a tiiiny bit of Souls in gameplay, and a lot more Souls in tone.

Just really gorgeous and haunting and incredible to explore.

And I didn't hear about it until a year + after release.

L9STT6im9kcophBiFBRgSZ.jpg
Great game but it's definitely not underrated. You should have been here a month after release...it was wild.

Edit: As much as I enjoy Arlo's stuff, the man is always waaayyyyy behind on things. Great for retrospetives

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that Huntdown is one of the best games of last year. It's must own for fans of 2d run 'n guns. Nice call on Little King's Story, too.

Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)

req.jpg

A neat mix of Quake and magic spells.

Wet (360, PS3)

Wet-001.jpg

Badass Max Payne-ish game.

Megumi Rescue (Mark III)

megumi-rescue-j-04.png

Cute and addictive fire rescue paddle game that never came out for the Western Sega Master System.

Street Fighter 2010 (NES)

sf2010.png

This gets a lot of shit for not being a fighting game which is a little weird considering it predates SF2 and it's a better game than SF1.

Uplink (PC)

uplink.jpg

Crazy difficult but cool hacking sim.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed with many of the suggestions posted. I'll add...

Alpha Protocol - its a great RPG and has fantastic dialogue and outcomes. Needs some polish but who cares?
Street Fighter X Tekken - it is an excellent fighter that was buried under Capcom's idiotic PR bullshit and a rough launch. Totally unfair.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Drakan: Order of the Flame
I've always seen it as medieval Tomb Raider with a dragon your fly around on- Rynn on the ground hack and slack + bow, and then mount Arokh your dragon companion for dragon dogfights and occasionally land and have him burn the baddies on the ground to a crisp to save time.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Drakan: Order of the Flame
I've always seen it as medieval Tomb Raider with a dragon your fly around on- Rynn on the ground hack and slack + bow, and then mount Arokh your dragon companion for dragon dogfights and occasionally land and have him burn the baddies on the ground to a crisp to save time.

I second this - a really good hidden gem.

If you like the classic Resident Evil style, try Curse: The Eye of Isis (PC and Xbox).

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Recently I'd say Watchdog: Legion

It's a flawed game to be sure but the core gameplay loop was really fun and while the hacking wasn't as extensive as WD2 the combat was better and the ability to recruit practically anyone was an interesting feature that I hope they flesh out for WD4.

If they can merge WD2 and Legion and learn from their mistakes, WD4 could be brilliant.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
I would go with Code Name S.T.E.A.M which without a doubt one of my favorites ever, an absolutely incredible strategy game.

sladeums

Jun 12, 2019
Omaha, NE
Ecco the Dolphin

one of my fave Genesis games. had so much fun just swimming around doing nothing.
felt so incredibly original to me at the time, and looked great too.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
Some y'all posting from really well known and liked stuff in a underrated games thread, js.

I'm never going to stop beating this drum though:

Folklore_%28videogame%29_boxart.jpg

Sayonara freaking Wild Hearts

God, and this too. It was my GOTY in 2019 and it's such bliss to play. I don't know how it flew so under the radar after getting a Game Awards trailer and a decently high profile mobile release.

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Majora's Mask the monster moon bearing down on the world makes a lot of people say hell no, most underrated Zelda game.

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
Resident evil 6, the campaigns are more or less fairly maligned however the game truely shines in mercenaries when you get to use the combat systems to their full potential and it becomes a truely amazing shooter

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

Desperados 3 came out last year and it felt like no one talked about it yet I put nearly 140 hours in the game doing damn near everything (only badge I didn't get for the main story was the final mission speedrun). Absolutely an awesome game made by Mimimi who also made Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (also awesome).

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Folklore and Gravity Rush, but I think quite a few ppl here already recognize them.

TrickyPhysics

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be the inevitable first mention of Binary Domain in this thread, because that game has no business being as charming and as fun to play as it is.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
How bad are the first 15 mins? What happens? Just curious cause I've heard it's good otherwise. From roguesquirrel maybe? Might be tagging the wrong user there.
theyre not lying, the opening tutorial is really bad. they explain the "collect 100 whatzits to get the star" concept by literally having you run around a square room collecting 100 whatzits. game is fun and inventive once you get past that tho

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just a brand tutorial that's combat focused. Always remember one guy at egm gave it a 9.5. It's a great Mario clone
theyre not lying, the opening tutorial is really bad. they explain the "collect 100 whatzits to get the star" concept by literally having you run around a square room collecting 100 whatzits. game is fun and inventive once you get past that tho
Ohhh gotcha thank you both. I thought the bad opening had to do with the forced edginess factor. Glad to hear it's just about gameplay. I heard the game is quite cheesy. But features solid platforming. I would like to try it alongside other under-appreciated PS2 era 3D platformers I see mentioned like Scaler, Ninja whatever it's called and Pac Man World 2. I'm always up for 3D platformers where level design is the focus rather than open world.

I did try Finny the Fish and the 7 Waters though and it was confusingly janky.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Almost any modern Inxile game.

Wasteland 3 was fantastic and I'm almost through Bard's Tale IV, with no understanding of why that isn't brought up more often. It's not as much an RPG, as it is a puzzle game, where the battles on higher difficulties and even some weapons function as puzzles, just as the overworld is littered with them. Aside from a few bugs, I'm loving everything about it.