• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'll go with it for now. It's the closest thing resembling a strategy that I've played with so far.
I've not really played elusives, but had a 6-way going on for the daily challenge and it did fine. Paired it with 3 assassin's and some random tank or other.

I also had a fun game where I got a level 3 pudge and had him solo tanking the whole enemy team while assassins and slark ripped into them.

Got down to the final two, and it got really swingy. One time I beat them with 6 heroes left and another time they beat me with 6 heroes left...nothing had really changed, just the ai playing out differently.

I don't have enough end game experience, so I put in some 5 stars as/when I could but the other player actually knew what they were doing. Both of us had single digit health left.

I'm still solidly low/mid rank but I like it, as I am still ranking up. Think I'm a high outlaw at the moment.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
Elusives are fairly bad past early game and can be an ok keep in 3of if you have something like dragons plus something. Eg puck, dk, luna, +1

People's comps will get better the higher rank you go up.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
That said if there's low magic damage on the field they are usually very uncontested, but you'd still want to use them to transition to 4-5 cost 'good stuff' and drop down to 3 from 6 late game imo

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had a great match where the top 5-6 players remained on roughly equal HP for most of the game, and it remained tense until almost the very end. Normally, you often have 2-3 players dominating and the rest just struggle to be eliminated last or get that legendary unit that they hope will make them insta-win the game. I wish more games were like that.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Slowly making my way up, now at Enforcer V.
Got really luck on the last game, managed to get the +1 unit global on the last round + a level up and threw in two one-star heroes to get the dragon and heartless aliance going. Was up against a two star tide and an engima as well (not sure about the enigma's level though).

DOXUg2O.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slowly making my way up, now at Enforcer V.
Got really luck on the last game, managed to get the +1 unit global on the last round + a level up and threw in two one-star heroes to get the dragon and heartless aliance going. Was up against a two star tide and an engima as well (not sure about the enigma's level though).

DOXUg2O.jpg
600633495169269763.png

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
did they reset the servers? or did my connection just glitch out? I had the "reconnect" button but that wasn't working. When I restarted the game it had gone, and I only had the option to start a new game from scratch.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Went to enforcer I with a Warlock/Magic build. Crystal Maid is so good in building mana which then helps getting the Warlocks do their healing thing faster keeping my Ogre and Alchemist alive. The last round was a walk in the park. I barely lost any unit.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get up to Big Boss 4 today before having like 4 awful games in a row and dropping down to BB 1. Yo :(

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This game has the most asinine, dogshit UI design I've ever experienced in my 30+ years of existence on this Earth.
Has Valve ever made a video game before? Have they ever opened an app on phone or PC in the last few decades?
Holy fuck this is embarrassing.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
This game has the most asinine, dogshit UI design I've ever experienced in my 30+ years of existence on this Earth.
Has Valve ever made a video game before? Have they ever opened an app on phone or PC in the last few decades?
Holy fuck this is embarrassing.
Make feedback thread on Reddit then. What exactly is so bad? It's based off the DAC mod by default.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Not here for discourse. Here to rant. UI is fucking garbage, rant over.
No need to be so defensive about someone else's product.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Screw the UI, the balance has been getting progressively worse with each patch and is now dogshit. Alliances should mean something and right now they just don't. Save all your coin, limp along to end game with whatever you can scrap together and then toss a bunch of 4-5 stars on the board to AE everything down...yay fun and strategy! Game needs lots of work.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screw the UI, the balance has been getting progressively worse with each patch and is now dogshit. Alliances should mean something and right now they just don't. Save all your coin, limp along to end game with whatever you can scrap together and then toss a bunch of 4-5 stars on the board to AE everything down...yay fun and strategy! Game needs lots of work.
This.

I'm actually shocked they haven't just added in the mtx to help pay for the crunch.

I expect turbo and major balance in September, crunch is prolly going to shut down for TI9

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing for the past few days and I like it so far (I hadn't touched any auto chess previously) but I suck at the late game. I always lock myself into a comp I decided in the first 10 rounds or so and then find myself at the mercy of RNG to get the units I need and upgrade them. I know I'm supposed to pivot into a better comp by the end but by that time my bench is filling up and I don't know what to do. When things start looking fire I inevitably re-roll all my gold away and still don't get what I'm looking for. I can make it to the top 3 pretty regularly but can't get the win.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Should units be weaker if you don't meet both of their alliances? That might be a step in the right direction without gutting 4/5* units

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back to the UI, I play mostly on my Surface Pro, and it would be a HUGE QoL improvement if I could just tap a unit and then tap the space I want to place them rather than having to drag them across the board.

Should units be weaker if you don't meet both of their alliances? That might be a step in the right direction without gutting 4/5* units

Maybe? Or maybe just make it easier to 3 star lower tier units? Right now it''s far harder to manage your board and make 3 star lower units than it is to 2 star high level ones, but there is no payoff and people are dumping entire comps at end game in favor of scattered 4/5's that make no strategic sense, other than the fact they are all high tier. And right now, other than Warlock, there is really no reason to play any other way.

Saprol

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yeah, something like the current dragon concept might help with endgame good-stuff teams. AoE abilities either locked / nerfed until you reach some milestone in the unit's alliances.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Considering this is the extent of your issues with it, doesn't like you have much of a problem at all. Otherwise it wouldn't be so hard to actually convey what you think is wrong.
Nice bait, I'll bite. Here's a quick 5:

1. No notif when you get a partyinvite
2. Friend button is badged but party tab is not badged
3. Invited friends icon uses a saturated/desaturated checkbox; impossible understand if you haven't seen both states
4. Rank button in match uses a standard connectivity icon instead of a podium icon because Valve doesn't understand how to arrange columns
5. Can't simultaneously view items and synergies in a game about items and synergies

I'm actually impressed anyone can play this game and not see the glaring issues. My UX buddies are having a great laugh right now tho.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
The UI actually the best thing in Underlord compared to the other games in genre.. so I cant really complain because I played the other games before and its better here.

Maybe if DU my first auto battler game I can see the complain, alas its what I familiar with and better.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

5. Can't simultaneously view items and synergies in a game about items and synergies

I'm actually impressed anyone can play this game and not see the glaring issues. My UX buddies are having a great laugh right now tho.
This would be an awful idea considering how many alliances and items you can have by end game. It would an immense amount of clutter and how your clicks interact with the items/alliances is different for both, so it'd be clashing functionality. Other things will probably change anyway, this is only a alpha/beta stage.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017

1. No notif when you get a partyinvite
2. Friend button is badged but party tab is not badged
3. Invited friends icon uses a saturated/desaturated checkbox; impossible understand if you haven't seen both states
4. Rank button in match uses a standard connectivity icon instead of a podium icon because Valve doesn't understand how to arrange columns

Oh good, for a moment I thought you were going to put out a glaring issue fundamental to the game to warrant you saying it was bad.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Back to the UI, I play mostly on my Surface Pro, and it would be a HUGE QoL improvement if I could just tap a unit and then tap the space I want to place them rather than having to drag them across the board.
That's already in the game. You can enable it in the settings, it's called tap to move.

Macattk15

Nov 4, 2017
Any words about the patch this week? I haven't thought about playing until the balance changes. Zero fun in Big Boss ranks.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Oh good, for a moment I thought you were going to put out a glaring issue fundamental to the game to warrant you saying it was bad.
Hand waving basic UX best practices is exactly why I didn't bother explicating the first time around.

This would be an awful idea considering how many alliances and items you can have by end game. It would an immense amount of clutter and how your clicks interact with the items/alliances is different for both, so it'd be clashing functionality. Other things will probably change anyway, this is only a alpha/beta stage.
I'm talking about your own alliances. Every other autochess game has solved this problem. Underlords is the only game where you can't manage items and view your alliances simultaneously. Of the 5 major autochess products on the market, Underlords actually hides the most amount of important information behind tabbed submenus. This is maybe understandable for mobile (nevermind that the other mobile products don't do this), but on PC it's pretty inexcusable.

This may be a beta, but so is every other autochess game. And these are fundamentally problems of design philosophy, not implementation.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
The party invite system / notifications are pretty stupid.
I was genuinely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.