• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
img-est-clr.png

Arc Sysem Works translated by Gematsu said:
PlayStation 4 Owners
By downloading a free update due out on February 20, 2020, the battle balance will be updated to match Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r].
By installing the update and purchasing various downloadable contents, you can have the same content as a new copy of Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r].

PlayStation 3 and PS Vita Owners (currently only confirmed for Japan)
Users who own the digital version of Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] for PlayStation 3 or PS Vita will be able to purchase the digital version of Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r] for PlayStation 4 at a discounted price (from 5,280 yen to 2,000 yen) for a limited time (from February 20, 2020 to April 30).

To receive the discount, simply purchase the digital version of Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r] for PlayStation 4 via the PlayStation Store with the same PlayStation Network account previously used to purchase the digital version of Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] for PlayStation 3 or PS Vita. Confirm that the discount price is applied before purchasing.

Really happy they're doing this instead of handling it like Exe:Late to Exe:Late[st] (buy it all again, lmao). Hopefully the eventual PC port of [cl-r] will do the same thing so the playerbase isn't further split.

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this is good news. Guilty Gear did the same thing with Rev2 so hopefully we're past charging full price for balance updates.

Jan 21, 2019
That's one hell of a title...
Titles like these make me wonder if some companies just don't want their games to sell properly.

Like No no Kuni. I love the Japanese language but this is not a title that will sell units in the west and now we have level 5 struggling even though these games are pretty good and perfect for kids and parents and their kids. I'm not a marketing expert but having a name that makes sense to other markets must be a millions times better than something that makes no sense whatsoever. I wonder how Professor Layton would sell if it were called Professor Layton: kinzoku no himitsu?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Awesome to hear! I avoided buying UNIST earlier this year because I figured they would not have an upgrade like this. I had a great time with the free weekend on Steam.

Now about that netcode...

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Blink and it goes dark... Chase, and you cannot find... Follow a shadow, the owner disappears. How does it feel to lose to an opponent far superior to you? Humiliating...? Torturous...?

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Awesome to hear! I avoided buying UNIST earlier this year because I figured they would not have an upgrade like this. I had a great time with the free weekend on Steam.

Now about that netcode...

GGPO in Under Night is probably happening. Not at cl-r's launch, and maybe not until French-Bread's next entry, but their battle planner is very in tune with what the FGC wants from a netcode standpoint.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
2D fighting games? They've got pretty devout communities. It's one thing to shit on the title (it's bad), but the games themselves are quite good.
I'll have to take your word for it. I tried to play a 2D fighter once but the weird controls and the fact you have to change them depending on which side you are was just alien to me.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'll have to take your word for it. I tried to play a 2D fighter once but the weird controls and the fact you have to change them depending on which side you are was just alien to me.
This series in particular has a very in-depth and accessible tutorial mode that serves as an introduction to controlling 2D fighting games in general. I highly recommend it.
compete.kotaku.com

Fighting Game Tutorial Is Brutally Honest

Last week, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] (yes, that’s its real name) found its way to PlayStation 4. Despite working with a smaller budget, this obscure anime fighter does a much better job teaching newcomers about the genre than most major releases. Its greatest accomplishment, however, is...

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is good news. Guilty Gear did the same thing with Rev2 so hopefully we're past charging full price for balance updates.

This is actually a fair bit different. You still had to pay $20 to upgrade to Rev 2's balance changes and you could only play with Rev 1 people assuming people who owned 2 switched the toggle to Rev 1 in the settings.

This is a free balance patch that will put everyone who owns ST into Clr's balance and you can buy the extra stuff that comes with Clr separately as DLC. I assume doing it this way will allow everyone who owns ST to play with people who bought Clr and it doesn't segment the UNI player base like the Rev1/2 split further did.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
This series in particular has a very in-depth and accessible tutorial mode that serves as an introduction to controlling 2D fighting games in general. I highly recommend it.
compete.kotaku.com

Last week, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] (yes, that’s its real name) found its way to PlayStation 4. Despite working with a smaller budget, this obscure anime fighter does a much better job teaching newcomers about the genre than most major releases. Its greatest accomplishment, however, is...
Huh, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Having an option to upgrade is very welcome. If anyone is curious about this game, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[St] is currently on sale on PSN EU for 15€.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
compete.kotaku.com

You poor soul

TruSpindash

Oct 27, 2017
Its always funny seeing people react to the title.

But looking beyond that its a fantastic game, one of the best modern fighting games out right now with a great community. Great time to jump in since the update is going to be free.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I remember buying [st] on Steam a week before [cr] was announced, and feeling a little bummed. But this definitely makes things a lot better if the eventual Steam release offers this as well!

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yea hoping the lack of a Steam/PC mention is just because it's usually ported a bit later.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I know it's dumb worry, but if the next announcement from them is about how great the Epic Games Store is I am gonna cry.
Arc System Works has been pretty consistent about staying on Steam. You don't need to worry about Epic swooping in. The audience for this is way too niche and way too set in their platforms of choice.

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any mention of the discount on getting the PS4 version of [cl-r] in the US for owners the PS3 or Vita version of [St]?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
IS UP!

The game for people who don't own UNIST is $39.99, for the rest the full upgrade is $8.99 (The price for Londrekia) If you don't want to buy him, you still get all the balance changes for free

Last edited:

Hydrophobic

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the free update still isn't available yet in NA though. Seeing a lot of people on my time line getting real impatient for that update lol

Oct 26, 2017
UNIEL is by far the most solid of all those anime style fighters, and more akin to something like Last Blade than the regular anime move spam fest. I rarely play it but I enjoy it when I do.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Not at home yet but is the update live in NA? It wasn't this morning when I checked.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
lol what even is this take (nice edit btw)

It's just that the west always tend to bash great Japanese games like this just because "they're weeby".

Just saying, I wouldn't let anyone judge me for certain games that I play. Heck, I've played Japanese games since I was small during the Arcade & NES days.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just that the west always tend to bash great Japanese games just because "they're weeby".

Just saying, I wouldn't let anyone judge me for certain games that I play. Heck, I've played Japanese games since I was small during the Arcade & NES days.

You called out America out of nowhere, that's what I was poking at you for. It was random.

I agree, who cares what you play as long as you enjoy it.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the update drops soon so I can lab Akatsuki's changes when I get home from work. Already bought the DLC bundle with the colors + Londrekia to support French Bread. I'm happy that they made the patch free they could have easily kept it as a standalone release only.