• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 21, 2018
Just finished it. A few thoughts:

-I gotta admit, I am sad for Sandler (and his cousin). I didn't think they would die. It came as quite a shock. I really thought he'd just end up on top.
-As a few have mentioned, clearly he was successful prior to the film, through his gambling addiction and scamming people, or through his jewelry, or otherwise. The guy clearly had means.
-with Julia Fox, at the end, with those goons watching her, are we to assume she'll be killed for the money at some point? It kind of leaves that open ended. When I first saw the guy with the briefcases, I assume he had killer her in the room and taken the winnings for himself. I didn't quite know what to think of that.
-the overlapping dialog and general constant chaos of the cinematography and performance was great. Constantly kept me one edge. There are very few moments to relax, and I think this is a good look at what Sandler's life was like as an obsessive gambler.
-the serene music playing through-out, specifically in the beginning and end, was very odd to me. It felt very 80s, and it felt very happy and calm as if to juxtapose what was happening otherwise. I absolutely love the contrast. The musical choices really made the film for me I think.

Great movie. Will stick with me a long time. Sandler was great. Gonna have to give it a 9/10 as of now.

Last edited:

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Maybe don't post spoiles in the open Denman.

Loved the movie and loved the soundtrack. I had no idea that the movie would include a magic stone, kevin garnet and weeknd, but it all worked. Acting was sptactular all around. I loved Julie or julia's character. She was great as the girlfriend. At first. ALso the soundtrack was insane, not what I expected.

My favorite scene is
when Howard finally gets 160k for exchanging the stone to kevin garnett at the end but he is on such a high that he starts rambling and wants to make more bets. I just felt so sad for him lol

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Sure, but this is the only thread for the movie and they literally posted the ending. Not a good look if people are curious for impressions and thats the first thing they see

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic movie. The ending shocked me so bad i was pissed but the path he was going, it was inevitable.

The goons going off the rail didn't sit too well with me but i guess the assumption is they were going to steal the money anyway. So much tension the entire movie. Even the stuck door scene, i was on the edge of my seat. lol

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I loved that. Holy shit, what a ride and that ending is haunting my thoughts today.

Is it worth going back and watching Good Time? Never seen anything elae these guys have made.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So I loved that. Holy shit, what a ride and that ending is haunting my thoughts today.

Is it worth going back and watching Good Time? Never seen anything elae these guys have made.
And Heaven Knows What

Few modern directors handle stressful suspense and grounded grimy unpleasant reality like the Safdies.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A very good movie that I absolutely hated.

I hated every character, every decision, every frustrating idiotic thing they did that could have been fixed by just three seconds of conscious thought. I felt like I was watching a different species.

But it was so damn realistic. Made me sad.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
My bad. I saw spoilers in the thread description so I thought that meant it was okay.

I've edited and put my reply in spoiler tags.
It's fine. People should just check page 1 if they haven't seen it or are intrigued. Or just not enter the thread. SPOILERS is literally spelled out in caps. Don't see really any two ways about it.

I've never been spoiled by anything on this site and I watch a ton of media. So it's on the users for not reading at the end of the day.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
There were signs the ending was going to be the way it was, but it was so shortsighted.
Howard had the money they could have put the gun to his head, got their cut, robbed him for more for being an asshole and gone on their way. Instead the most violent goon goes ultra violent kills both Howard and his employer and gets a bunch of fake chains that are gonna be hard to pawn considering its hot jewelry.

In the end they kill him, to rob him of stuff that you got to question the value of since they didn't try to steal it prior, and his wife just called the cops.

The whole movie to me was about people who can't control themselves trying to control others and that ending summed it up.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were signs the ending was going to be the way it was, but it was so shortsighted.
Howard had the money they could have put the gun to his head, got their cut, robbed him for more for being an asshole and gone on their way. Instead the most violent goon goes ultra violent kills both Howard and his employer and gets a bunch of fake chains that are gonna be hard to pawn considering its hot jewelry.

In the end they kill him, to rob him of stuff that you got to question the value of since they didn't try to steal it prior, and his wife just called the cops.

The whole movie to me was about people who can't control themselves trying to control others and that ending summed it up.
Right. I think the movie did a good job of showing that they were pushed past their limit (both physically-being trapped in the hot entranceway, and mentally- tired of the rollercoaster ride of Howard's bullshit) and weren't thinking rationally anymore.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I could tell, the bet that broke him was the Opal itself.

He owed Arno $100,000. The Opal cost him $100,000. It was actually a relatively straightforward business expense. It shouldn't have been nearly as risky as it ended up being. But things kept slipping and it took him more than a year to get his hands on a gem less valuable than he was hoping it would be when he made said investment.

Ironically, he was safer sticking to actual gambling.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread, but I saw this movie on Friday and loved it. My chest was tight with anxiety at the end.

That said, I think, in a way, this was kind of the happiest ending that Howie was gonna get. No amount of money was ever gonna get him to stop. He would have bet through those winnings in a couple months, maybe. Instead, he got popped in the middle of the biggest high he'd probably ever have, and it happened so quick he probably didn't even realize he had a gun in his face. Maybe it's a weird perspective, but you could say the dude went out on a high note.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I hated every character, every decision, every frustrating idiotic thing they did that could have been fixed by just three seconds of conscious thought. I felt like I was watching a different species.

I know you didn't mean it like this, but as a Jew who wasn't super excited about the way Jews were depicted in this movie, this is exactly the type of things that bothered me.
I also don't think it was terribly realistic about the diamond (and precious stones) trade or sports betting.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
God i loathed almost every moment of this movie because of how fucking noisy it was. I get that it's a choice but it felt actively unpleasant to watch. It's not like a stupid movie that felt like a waste of time, it felt like an intentional assault on my ears and brain. It took me out of the film completely, so I didn't even get a sense of anxiety or suspense.

It's a shame. I expected it to be up my alley.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017

Lmao

I liked the wife and Kevin Garnett

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know you didn't mean it like this, but as a Jew who wasn't super excited about the way Jews were depicted in this movie, this is exactly the type of things that bothered me.
I also don't think it was terribly realistic about the diamond (and precious stones) trade or sports betting.
I'm Jewish as well, and I completely agree.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm Jewish as well, and I completely agree.
I said it before in this thread - I will forever struggle with a movie about Jews that is centered around greed and money like that. I'm not saying you can't make them, I am not saying anyone who enjoy this is racist or anything, far from it, but personally I think will just always feel uncomfortable with this stuff.
I suspect all of that was intentional, I am just not sure to what end, because I personally didn't get much out of the film besides that.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread, but I saw this movie on Friday and loved it. My chest was tight with anxiety at the end.

That said, I think, in a way, this was kind of the happiest ending that Howie was gonna get. No amount of money was ever gonna get him to stop. He would have bet through those winnings in a couple months, maybe. Instead, he got popped in the middle of the biggest high he'd probably ever have, and it happened so quick he probably didn't even realize he had a gun in his face. Maybe it's a weird perspective, but you could say the dude went out on a high note.
I think you actually have the right take on the ending

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Finally caught this and thought it was good, but not exceptional. It did a great job making me feel like I was living in Howard's shoes, but it all felt kind of hollow by the end.

I think I prefer Good Time to this one because Pattinson is incredible in that film.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this movie last week. It's really fucking good. I only have one question:

Is Julia Fox's ass real?

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Okay Keith Williams Richards who plays Arno's main heavy Phil really really looks like another fairly famous character actor and I can't place it or find anyone else saying this online. Can anyone help me out cause it's grating on me so hard...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Okay Keith Williams Richards who plays Arno's main heavy Phil really really looks like another fairly famous character actor and I can't place it or find anyone else saying this online. Can anyone help me out cause it's grating on me so hard...
Maybe thinking of Eric Roberts?
Keith+Williams+Richards+57th+New+York+Film+An6Rh_w08Bml.jpg
Wp-wFXv1MaAy2zvSJQ8SLFsPLvNOQHRsGSXJrHd84RM.jpg

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely treaded a lot of the same ground that "Good Time" did, in that a despicable protagonist keeps digging himself deeper and deeper due to his own greed. The climax was pretty white knuckle and the ending, whilst abrubt, was fitting.

It's not a movie for everyone. The protagonist is a terrible person and doesn't change or learn, large swaths of the movie are people screaming obscenities at eachother, most of the characters are generally unpleasant, but it's the most anxiety ridden a movie has made me feel in awhile and that absolutely makes it unique.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that was a great movie with a great ending. It's funny how caught up in the final bet I got, as if I was Howard. I must have a high tolerance for anxiety because all the yelling and stress didn't bother me too much. It did trigger my whole problem with people who can't shut up and control themselves for 1 minute. But, that's the entire film, a bunch of people who can't control themselves. I got super frustrated with the character of Darius, like he's acting aloof and offended when Howard is asking him where the fucking opal is that he promised to have back by 9 AM. Then he gets angry when Howard gets angry at him and is ready to fight. Like bro, calm down for one second and possibly talk like a man about what happened.

However, that's every character in the film. They're all entirely unempathetic and entirely selfish people with zero impulse control which leads to an eventual explosion.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also the soundtrack seems directly inspired by Trent Reznor's work on the social network. Same use of ambient "computer noises" to simulate anxiety and speed. not suprised to see NiN but a remix the composer did on the Deluxe version of Hesitation Marks
It's a lot like Punch Drunk Love - the music in that seems to be doing its own thing, but it fucking drives and drives you through the film. It's great.
I thought he looked like Senator Joe Manchin.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Good movie but goddamn did all the people yelling over each other and the constant loud noise/music give me anxiety, even when the situation wasn't particularly tense. I just wanted to scream SHUT UP

Ending came as a shock. I felt bad for Howie and Arno and scared that something would happen to Julia

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from the theatre. I loved it. When I got home and it was quiet I felt exhausted though. Such an anxious movie.

also Julia Fox's ass 👀

May 26, 2019
One hell of a movie, but I really hated the ending. Despite what happened, I really wanted Howard and Arno to live, but this was probably something that was gonna happen to Howard eventually anyway.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of close up camera scenes makes it more personal
Howard is just stupid and likes to push his luck
Stressful movie. Not gonna see it again

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just VPN'd the movie. Absolutely fantastic.

I really really really really really rally really hated the ending.

I'm never watching it again. Fuck that. Shock endings are truly the worst.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
It's mindblowing to me that this isn't also out on Netflix in America. I mean, people are just going to pirate it and VPN the hell out of it now, which makes them no money at all, but then again I don't know how it works when it comes to making money on Netflix streams. At least it's better than nothing. This movie will be old news by summertime

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This was seriously the most stressful movie I've ever watched. It's basically endless stress and yelling and cursing over 2 1/4 hours. But I think that's what makes the movie so great. You really feel the stress that the main character goes through. It gets even "worse" with all the bad and downright stupid decissions he makes but I still wanted him to succeed because he is that likeable asshole type of character. And wow at that ending.

What was this whole surgery scene in the beginning? I was totally expecting some "you are fatally ill" twist but it wasn't picked up later. The doctor said something about flat polyps - what does it indicate? Was this some "getting shot in the head and die quickly was actually a better (good) ending for him instead of dying from cancer" meta-twist? Or did he just suffer from illness created by stress?

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was seriously the most stressful movie I've ever watched. It's basically endless stress and yelling and cursing over 2 1/4 hours. But I think that's what makes the movie so great. You really feel the stress that the main character goes through. It gets even "worse" with all the bad and downright stupid decissions he makes but I still wanted him to succeed because he is that likeable asshole type of character. And wow at that ending.

What was this whole surgery scene in the beginning? I was totally expecting some "you are fatally ill" twist but it wasn't picked up later. The doctor said something about flat polyps - what does it indicate? Was this some "getting shot in the head and die quickly was actually a better (good) ending for him instead of dying from cancer" meta-twist? Or did he just suffer from illness created by stress?
He actually didn't have cancer, the doctor calls him and tells him he's clean at one part towards the middle of the movie. I think you are supposed to be operating under the guise of him having some sort of terminal cancer throughout the movie which explains why he is so reckless. Turns out, he is fine and he's just a person with a horrible gambling problem.