• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
So they prioritize graphics above performance for the base version.

Stupid choice imo but I wasn't interested in the first place.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Let's ignore our biggest audience by not aiming at 60 fps on base consoles... Sonic racing it is then.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I hate this, and I want full transparency day 1 if they're gonna do this next gen. Just say either "we're launching two consoles, a base and a more expensive pro model", or "we're hard at work on a pro model behind the scenes, and it will be coming a few months/a year later", and I'll get/wait for the pro.

One X is fine, but with the PS4 Pro, there are so many games that are one step forward, two steps back in terms of performance increase over the base ones that it's hard to justify an upgrade for me.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not.
If you buy a 300€ PC you will get inferior framerate compared to a 600€ PC.

That's how things should work, base consoles are 2013 hardware, outdated in 2019.

This is a racing game, a genre which absolutely benefits the most from good framerate over good fidelity. The fact that it's also multiplayer means PS4 Pro players will have an inherent advantage when playing online, and that kind of gatekeeping is stupid.

Maybe this would've made some sense if this game wasn't a remake of a game that came out in fucking 1999. The choice to double down on a bunch of visual fluff was their decision. They could've gone for framerate but if this reporting is true then they didn't, and that's a misguided decision. I would gladly trade away fidelity for a performance boost on base platforms considering CTR's art design is solid enough on its own for me not to care. When I played Onrush I instantly flipped that shit to performance and never looked back, despite the hit the graphics took.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like last time measure imo. They could target 60fps since the beginning on base consoles and then bump the resolution, textures and so on in premium consoles.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
They should push an update for Crash N.Sane as well

It's not.

That's how things should work, base consoles are 2013 hardware, outdated in 2019.
Eh depends on the specs.
I got a GTX 970M graphics card, the danged thing is like 5 years old but for a game like this, it could get me 60 FPS just fine with majority of settings on High (optional bloom and depth of field, but I disable those anyways since games look prettier without them).
Price of a rig comes down to how and what you'd use that rig or its specs for.
CTR NF doesn't look like that demanding a game IMO, and I'd expect base PS4s to be able to target 60 FPS tbh.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
They should push an update for Crash N.Sane as well

It's not.

What? Not at all.

If you have a weak PC you turn down some settings and play it at 60 fps. Drop the resolution if needed. That is actually the beauty of PC and consoles should at least give you the option between 30 and 60 fps modes.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I took 60 fps for granted, even for Switch. I'm super disappointed that they targeted graphics instead of framerate. Mario Kart 8 feels weird and unresponsive at 30 fps vs 60. It is like completely different game. Now CTR will have that weird feeling after playing MK8 for so long.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Have they confirmed LAN play on Switch? Because if it lets me play with at least 7 more friends, that will be my priority. I hope it is stable.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how the online will works with base console players who plays and 30FPS.
This is so strange, i started to doubt they will make it happen.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm grabbing this for every console, so I'm gonna feel everything.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Damn, that's disappointing for the base versions, but I'm getting a Pro later this year anyway so it's good to know there'll be a 60 fps console version.

With that said, is this source trustworthy? Don't want to get my hopes up for what may amount to nothing.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah! This was a constant annoying little thing about this game. Now I'll have to wait for the digital foundry video comparing them. I want the PS4 version for the retro skins, but if One X holds a better frame rate, that's a no brainer

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
If true, I'm extremely happy about this.

N'Sane and Spyro locked at 30 was disappointing when I see 60 fps options for games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

We don't need to keep that nostalgic feeling of 25fps PAL games D:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I have no idea why are people surprised
Plenty of reasons:
  • People were expecting 30 fps for all versions at this point, so this is a nice surprise if true
  • People are baffled at them going for 60 fps on enhanced consoles only, considering a game like this would benefit greatly with higher fps on any console
  • No official confirmation yet so a mix of surprise and doubt

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the betting this would have been 60fps on base if pro consoles didn't exist?

Fuck pro consoles

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Really Crash, Spyro & CTR should have been 60fps even on Base Consoles, i don't think their visuals & especially the corridor levels of Crash justify 30, im obviously not a dev but still this series of remakes being 30 was sad.
Im still hoping for Spyro on PC for 60fps since no patch for PS4 Pro.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the betting this would have been 60fps on base if pro consoles didn't exist?

Fuck pro consoles
if this news is true, they probably struggled a bit to keep a consistent 60 on base models, so instead of optimizing they just locked it to 30 and just went for 60 on pro models where they have the head room.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the game is gonna come on the disc or is Activison going to pull that shitty scheme they did with Spyro and make you download the whole game.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
if this news is true, they probably struggled a bit to keep a consistent 60 on base models, so instead of optimizing they just locked it to 30 and just went for 60 on pro models where they have the head room.
Whereas if they had targeted 60 on base from the start it wouldn't be an issue. I mean it's a kart racer. It's not like 60fps is an unobtainable target.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whereas if they had targeted 60 on base from the start it wouldn't be an issue. I mean it's a kart racer. It's not like 60fps is an unobtainable target.
agreed, and they could have then gone the route of making the pro/x versions look prettier and run at higher res, while offering everyone an equally good gameplay experience.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why 30FPS is even on the table for these remakes. Platformers and kart racers. Remakes from the PSX generation. 30FPS (and Spyro wasn't even solid 30FPS when I played it at launch).

Jun 17, 2018
I'm sorry but this isn't acceptable. Forza (mainline series) runs at 60fps on base consoles and that looks fantastic. Same with Mario Kart on switch, what's their excuse?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but this isn't acceptable. Forza (mainline series) runs at 60fps on base consoles and that looks fantastic. Same with Mario Kart on switch, what's their excuse?
yeah when you consider the kind of games that can run at 60 on base consoles/switch, their decision to not prioritize 60 fps from the beginning on all platforms starts to look pretty dumb.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Starting to hate the mid gen consoles more and more. They're becoming the target consoles now and the base ones are being left behind.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm speaking from ignorance here but I feel like Mario kart 8 doesnt look too far from this game visually

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Are the graphics so taxing that 60fps isn't possible on base systems?

Blows my mind how good Mario Kart 8 looks on Switch while having a rock solid frame rate. Admittedly it's a port of a last gen title, exclusive and developed internally so it has that going for it.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I'd have really loved a option to tonedown the graphics on a base PS4/Xbox One for 60fps. As good as it'd look i'd rather have a framerate that matches a X and Pro.

It's such a bummer because with no PC version and only owning that a base PS4 and a Switch I have no option of playing it in 60fps.