• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Uncle Roger recently reviewed the recipe of Indonesian fried rice demonstrated by British chef Gordon Ramsay in a video released on Sept. 20.

The Malaysian YouTuber became famous for his comments on recipes of egg fried rice by BBC Food host Hersha Patel and British chef Jamie Oliver.

Surprisingly, Uncle Roger was pleased with Ramsay's first few steps.

In the end, Uncle Roger thought the overall performance was good, and the only thing he was is not satisfied with was that Ramsay should have eaten his fried rice with a spoon instead of a fork.

The video has received overwhelming responses from viewers, and even Ramsay himself commented: " Happy you approve Roger!"

chinapost.nownews.com

網紅評論地獄廚神「蛋炒飯」 竟釣出高登本人神回應 | Uncle Roger heaps praise on Gordon Ramsay’s egg fried rice | The China Post, Taiwan

【看CP學英文】馬來西亞網紅「羅傑叔叔」先前因評論BBC蛋炒飯教學一炮而紅,後來連英國名廚傑米奧利佛 (Jamie Oliver)也逃不過他的魔掌。近日,羅傑叔叔應觀眾要求,評論同是來自英國被譽為「地獄廚神」 高登·拉姆齊 (Gordon Ramsay)的印尼炒飯。 Uncle Roger recently reviewed the recipe of Indonesian fried rice demonstrated by British chef Gordon Ramsay in a video released on Sept. 20. The Malaysian...

%E8%9E%A2%E5%B9%95%E6%93%B7%E5%8F%96%E7%95%AB%E9%9D%A24-1-300x163.png

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
chinapost.nownews.com

網紅評論地獄廚神「蛋炒飯」 竟釣出高登本人神回應 | Uncle Roger heaps praise on Gordon Ramsay’s egg fried rice | The China Post, Taiwan

【看CP學英文】馬來西亞網紅「羅傑叔叔」先前因評論BBC蛋炒飯教學一炮而紅,後來連英國名廚傑米奧利佛 (Jamie Oliver)也逃不過他的魔掌。近日,羅傑叔叔應觀眾要求,評論同是來自英國被譽為「地獄廚神」 高登·拉姆齊 (Gordon Ramsay)的印尼炒飯。 Uncle Roger recently reviewed the recipe of Indonesian fried rice demonstrated by British chef Gordon Ramsay in a video released on Sept. 20. The Malaysian...

%E8%9E%A2%E5%B9%95%E6%93%B7%E5%8F%96%E7%95%AB%E9%9D%A24-1-300x163.png
GgGuUyl.gif

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear.

I agree about the spoon thing. Eating rice with a fork looks weird to me.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Indonesian checking in, Ramsay's indonesian cooking was also generally well received here too.

Here's him cooking rendang into an omelette

There isn't all that much difference eating rice with a fork or spoon if you ask me.
The rice we use in indonesia tends to be more easily scattered / less sticky than the more familiar east asian rice I think.
You're just needlessly making it difficult for yourself using a fork lol

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesian checking in, Ramsay's indonesian cooking was also generally well received here too.

The rice we use in indonesia tends to be more easily scattered / less sticky than the more familiar east asian rice I think.

It's rice, not soup. It's just scooping it up and I've eaten more rice of all kinds that I can think of. It's not like the difference between a spoon and chop sticks.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I get it's an act, but man I can't stand Uncle Roger's accent. It's actually pretty offensive if he wasn't Asian himself. It sounds like English with a really thick over exaggerated Cantonese accent.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted, but he did a series called Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape where he showed lots of respect for other cultures cuisine and was basically eager to learn.

He's not one of those celebrity chefs who is more famous than talented. The man was maybe the best chef in the UK before he got famous for his personality.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Gordon a pretty nice dude but just has no time for fools?

I think he started out as an arsehole then had some pretty big personal set backs, in particular losing his restaurant in Glasgow made him re-think some of his attitudes.

Whether he is a nice dude or not is up for debate. He reportedly did not treat his staff well at the start of the pandemic, firing 500 people instead of using the job retention scheme.
metro.co.uk

Gordon Ramsay 'uses furlough scheme to pay axed staff their notice'

He previously laid off 500 employees.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I get it's an act, but man I can't stand Uncle Roger's accent. It's actually pretty offensive if he wasn't Asian himself. It sounds like English with a really thick over exaggerated Cantonese accent.
no that's just how English sounds in Singapore/Malaysia. It's just another accent of English, nothing to be offensive about.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not getting an extra utensil, so rice will be eaten with a fork!

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The video was good. I enjoyed it despite thinking Uncle Roger is a bit like a modern day minstrel show for East Asians.

I think my favorite gag is the one where Roger says Gordon's mom will beat him for leaving behind 5 grains of rice.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I followed one of his YouTube chicken stir-fry recipes exactly, on a whim, and it turned out better than I hoped for. Yeah I realize it was extremely simple and some might say boring... but cooking is hard for me
What I've come to realize (not just thru him) is, you want to let the main ingredient shine. Adding a bunch of seasoning does the exact opposite of that.

Look up his broccoli soup and laugh at how many ingredients there are.

(Pretty much 3, not counting the garnish.)
www.epicurious.com

Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Cheese

"As a student at Bloomsburg University, I spent many Sunday afternoons at Russell’s restaurant in downtown Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania," writes Marganne Hoffman of Lebanon, Pennsylvania. "A decade after graduating, I still crave their cheddar-crusted broccoli soup. I would be thrilled if the owners...

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've never had Indonesian fried rice, but after watching this I want to!!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
He's playing it up sure but I dunno if I'd say full minstrel show. That is legit just how Malay/sing people talk to one another. Half my cousins sound like that when they're just shooting the shit.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Nasi goreng has been my favorite dish since I was a child, I think, but I haven't had it in so long. Indomalay food is incomparable.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This Uncle Roger guy is not funny, and totally grates the wrong way. His 2 minutes are up. I found his video with that Indian Brit lady to be really offensive to be honest.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Gordon Ramsay is always really respectful of cooking food from other cultures
Always loved that quality about Anthony Bourdain. Just immense love and respect he shown for other cultures, the taste, the meaning of it all. I miss him :(

Gordon is also in that same boat.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns Regarding Anti-Asian Racism
This Uncle Roger guy is not funny, and totally grates the wrong way. His 2 minutes are up. I found his video with that Indian Brit lady to be really offensive to be honest.
her name is hersha patel. And she is way less bothered about it than you apparently are.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

Yeah, I am not even Asian and I find it offensive. Plus the adlibs like kill the chickens in the background for food..... says a lot about what he is trying to convey as a character.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it 2 days ago and i found it very funny. His comments is very funny and quite accurate about South East Asian people especially lol.