• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's just me but these kind of "man look at all the outrage" and sarcastic comments, jokes just serve to amplify the racists message of outrage. Or even cause confusion when people mistake a sarcastic joke for a real opinion. No judgement from me on any single comment I've quoted but when you see lots of them together it starts to feel like people are hoping for outrage.

I've seen this happen a lot on here in a variety of threads "this news is going to make the [insert group] so mad!" Happens in politics, sports, news and videogame threads.

Good for Ben's Original. If people had genuine issues with his depiction then this seems like a reasonable change.
Because its reality and its fun to watch racists expose themselves. Every outrage they have just makes them look like bigger, more unreasonable idiots and makes me glad they are taking another loss

Oct 30, 2017
"With original boxed rice there must also come great brand responsibility"
giphy.gif

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Good idea but stop patting yourself on the back so much, geez.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
My family have always had Uncle Ben's rice, it was a tradition. Mars incorporated have given into the woke mob and destroyed all of that.
You've lost a customer 🤬

They are just changing the name. A ton of products do it for all sorts of reasons. But changing the name in this situation is what pisses you off?

Edit: if you're just quoting something you should probably mention that in the post.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly maybe I'm cynical but this seems to be more of a marketing move than anything. Not that this is a bad change but was there even any controversy or did people care about Uncle Ben's rice? Now people are talking about it.

We never ate Uncle Bens so it never came up. Aunt Jemima on the other hand was always some suspect shit. Like straight up.

Not sure if the brother on the Cream of Wheat has a history.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Not want to stir shit and just trying to learn, but what's racist about Uncle Ben's that isn't racist about Ben's Original?

According to Wikipedia it was a real guy apparently?
The term "uncle" has racist connotations, so even if the brand's name and image were founded by a black man, the context of that meaning goes beyond that fact. They're choosing to honor the roots of the brand by keeping the name "Ben" in there, but removing him as a "mascot" so to speak.

We never ate Uncle Bens so it never came up. Aunt Jemima on the other hand was always some suspect shit. Like straight up.

Not sure if the brother on the Cream of Wheat has a history.
www.nytimes.com

After Aunt Jemima, Reviews Underway for Uncle Ben, Mrs. Butterworth and Cream of Wheat (Published 2020)

People have long complained about the use of African-American stereotypes in marketing. The Aunt Jemima decision has prompted more companies to take action.
The porridge box, which depicts a beaming black man in a white chef's uniform, has not been altered much since its debut in the late 19th century. The character was named "Rastus," a pejorative term for black men, and he was once depicted as a barely literate cook who did not know what vitamins were.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what's wrong with their rice? I just use their white rice though and drain it during the cooking.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not Black but I could have sworn what Black people wanted was to stop being murdered by police and not all this aesthetic bullshit from corporations.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is a good change. Good on them for making it.

I'd hope it would be obvious enough but maybe not haha.
Maybe I should have posted a picture of me stabbing a bag of rice.
You should know by now you always mark your sarcastic posts.

/s

I'm not Black but I could have sworn what Black people wanted was to stop being murdered by police and not all this aesthetic bullshit from corporations.
Yeah but it's at least a start. It's not like a rice company can stop police from murdering. That's the government's job.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Hmm, i think you're right but this one feels like..... even more third person than normal you know. Like it's an independent news report.
That's the general idea of all the third person press releases. Make it easier for the less ambitious journalists to just forward the corporate PR bullshit. Works a treat in entertainment journalism, sadly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good, safe name change.

Hmm, i think you're right but this one feels like..... even more third person than normal you know. Like it's an independent news report.

Yeah, that's typically the voice used in press releases, which traditionally were specifically so that press organizations could pick them up and republish them. I had a freelance job writing press releases for a non profit, and you'd be amazed at the number of publications who pick up your press release 100% word for word unchanged. Not so much the major newspapers or publications, but it's very common in lesser known publications, local newspapers, industry-specific publications, etc.

This was about 15 years ago so it was still mostly for print publications, but a lot of small trade publications, local newspapers, and so on, are just trying to pad the print size of their publications so that they have more pages to run ads, and so they'll run whatever press release they can get their hands on that might somehow have something to do with the publication... ~400 words for the press release and sandwich that in between two ads for, like, landscaping companies and personal injury lawyers. For local companies it's also usually the cheapest ad buy in the paper.

It's definitely weirder now especially in the age of "woke capitalism" or whatever where companies are trying to pretend to be people, so you'll have the social media account written as if Ben is some guy who just LOVES makin rice and wants to go off on how to make the best rice, and then the corporate PR will treat Ben as a very serious board of corporate rice makers who take the responsibility of making rice very seriously.

But hey maybe things haven't changed that much from the old days writing press releases, this OP is a word for word reprint of the press release and ResetEta is selling ads :D

Last edited:

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Cue rage from racists
"Its history" "its tradition" and other such shit

Oh and how could I forget "political correctness gone mad!"
Got paired up with a random while playing golf this weekend who was so angry at the "liberals" for the changing of the name of Uncle Bens. And then he blamed it all on violent video games.

talk about having all your conservative bases covered.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had it in years but Uncle Bens rice was pretty horrible.

Get some Basmatic and a rice cooker. Honestly you can even just cook it in a pot. It doesn't take very long...
Terrible? Unless you get some weird all in one rice a roni style flavor, the original uncle ben's is just rice. The white rice tastes like any other plain long grain white rice. Comparing the flavor of plain long grain white to basmati or jasmine is like comparing the texture to short or medium grain glutenous rice.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I ran into a plumber who was very, very angry about the similar situation with Aunt Jemima. He tried to pull out the myth about Nancy Green getting rich from portraying Aunt Jemima, too, as if that would matter even if it were real.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know about everyone else but I was on the street for police reform not to rename some sports teams and bags of rice.
I mean at least they thought about their own branding and changed it.

As someone on team rename bags of rice, I'm happy about this change.

Racism is finally dead. Thank you [brand], thank you so much

(This is stupid, and I'm certain the amount of black people that care FAR and few in-between. Don't know a single person who has been happy about any of these things.)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible? Unless you get some weird all in one rice a roni style flavor, the original uncle ben's is just rice. The white rice tastes like any other plain long grain white rice. Comparing the flavor of plain long grain white to basmati or jasmine is like comparing the texture to short or medium grain glutenous rice.
It is pretty terrible compared to some good ass basmati though. Maybe I was unfair in comparing it to basmati. You need to flavor the fuck out of it to make it taste good (at least for me). With basmati honestly its amazing with even just a little salt.

For those that have not tried it you need to get on that basmati train. Every indian store that I have been to has some.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It is pretty terrible compared to some good ass basmati though. Maybe I was unfair in comparing it to basmati. You need to flavor the fuck out of it to make it taste good (at least for me). With basmati honestly its amazing with even just a little salt.

For those that have not tried it you need to get on that basmati train. Every indian store that I have been to has some.
Different dishes call for different rice. If I'm making butter chicken basmati is great. If I'm making nasi goreng it's not so great.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
that's good; wild we had to get to 2020 before this seemed like a good idea to them

i like their brown rice; the budget stuff sticks to my rice cooker

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting thread. I'm from Brazil but I already heard about Uncle Ben brand. In Brazil we have a rice brand called Tio João(Uncle John) and as Ben is also a common name I thought it was an analog situation. I was wrong though...XD
11560541290526.jpg

EDIT: Is the reason for the rebrand a common sense thing in US? Because the article really failed to explain why the were doing this. If people from this thread didn't explained I would never understand.

Last edited:

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Instant rice is terrible, regardless. It's like eating shredded cardboard.
It's really not...

Some of you seriously need to come down off this weird food-based high horse once in a while and realize that a lot of the things you looks down on like this are totally normal foods for a lot of us; especially those of us who can't afford the "high quality" versions of things like this on a regular basis. None of it is anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be and you just come off sounding like elitists about the weirdest shit...

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
It's really not...

Some of you seriously need to come down off this weird food-based high horse once in a while and realize that a lot of the things you looks down on like this are totally normal foods for a lot of us; especially those of us who can't afford the "high quality" versions of things like this on a regular basis. None of it is anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be and you just come off sounding like elitists about the weirdest shit...
It's not elitist to prefer regular rice. It's cheaper than instant! One of the cheapest foods. The difference in flavor between instant and unprocessed rice is huge too.

Anyway, it's fine if you prefer instant rice. It's just food man.