• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy a movie about a white man visiting POC city and plundering their treasures and destroying their ruins in the process.

Yeah, I will pass on this. The whole pulp fiction treasure hunter explorer is just racist and outdated.

Watch them cast a white person in the role, just like what they did with the game.

isnt drake Portuguese or Brazilian or something?

No he's a white American.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So much for my dream of Oscar Isaac playing an older Drake. Also, I always got the impression that Drake was multi-ethnic. I never saw him as "just a white guy."

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I can see it.
afnsuwhymko4qklunvnj.png
Yep. All these confused people obviously dont remember the start of 3. I don't think for a second hes going to be uncharted 1 age drake. Probably somewhere between this and 1 I think

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Erghh, we'll have to see, hard to judge now. He's a talented actor so he probably can adapt it.

I've always wanted James Roday (from Psyche) to play Nathan. He just seemed so perfect for it, in look and performance.

Ha. Roday would've been great, but I struggle to remember the last movie he was ever in. If they made a TV movie he could've been perfect, though.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Tom Holland is going to be stealing artefacts to take back to the British museum like a good English boy

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Young Drake has been barely explored in the series. So they're pretty much given a blank slate and don't have worry about crossing over into recreating what the games did. The only existing character relationship he has to have is Sully.
Yeah, I think this can definitely work. He could be a great Nathan Drake.

It was always going to be something lousy like this since Nathan Fillion is way past his prime.

Firefly era Fillion was THE dream casting choice. In a perfect world, it would have been him.
I think it can still be done really well given the genre is perfect for movies, but yeah we totally deserved at least one big official Fillion Uncharted movie a while ago (even the fan film was fun!).

Not much interest in a younger Drake game. Not if that means characters like Elena, Sully, etc won't be there. 90% of what I like about these games are supporting characters.
I feel like Sully is pretty likely.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
People think this is a bad choice? WOW

This is an inspired choice. And as long as the other elements come together (a huge caveat), the movie will be great. But Holland will crush this easily. My brain can't even compute how someone could watch homecoming and think he wouldn't be great as Nathan drake. And he's not a kid anymore!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Damn, that must mean filming soon. Always assumed this would just end up like the Marky Mark/David Russell version.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
People think this is a bad choice? WOW

This is an inspired choice. And as long as the other elements come together (a huge caveat), the movie will be great. But Holland will crush this easily. My brain can't even compute how someone could watch homecoming and think he wouldn't be great as Nathan drake. And he's not a kid anymore!

Holland's Spider-Man is played like a dweeby kid in a suit. Endgame makes that abundantly clear, he's just some dorky kid who's way out of his element.

"Dorky kid who's out of his element" is not what I think when i think of Nathan Drake.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holland's Spider-Man is played like a dweeby kid in a suit. Endgame makes that abundantly clear, he's just some dorky kid who's way out of his element.

"Dorky kid who's out of his element" is not what I think when i think of Nathan Drake.
Uh that's also because he was directed to do so

And written that way

That's how movies work

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Uh that's also because he was directed to do so

And written that way

That's how movies work

And what I'm saying is that Homecoming gives me absolutely no reason to believe he would make a good Nathan Drake. It's not like he has a vast catalog of other acting roles that give any evidence to that, either.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I don't dislike Tom, he's a good actor overall imo but I don't see him at all as Nathan, well... better wait for actual footage at some point.

Oct 28, 2017

That's an awfully reductive take. He's a good actor who shows he has the charisma needed to pull off Nathan drake. The idea that he's just going to be goofy Peter Parker drake is laughably ridiculous.

This is classic fan over-reaction to casting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's an awfully reductive take. He's a good actor who shows he has the charisma needed to pull off Nathan drake. The idea that he's just going to be goofy Peter Parker drake is laughably ridiculous.

I don't see it at all. Drake is a cocky, overconfident asshole. Tom couldn't be a jerk if he spent a decade taking dickhead lessons from Ed Harris.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He kinda looks like young Nate in Uncharted 3. So he fits the role. Go for a 20 year old Nate in the movies. Now let's see who's Sully.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Sony has been trying to make this movie for a decade.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This was announced years ago.

If this movie ever gets released dude will probably be old enough to play Sully.

Also remember like 5 years ago when they announced Maisie Williams was going to play Ellie?
She just said she'd love to play Ellie. Don't think TLoU movie ever got to the casting stage.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I look forward to the first trailer! Should begin filming soon too so we will probably see some set and costume pics.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Is this still a sony picture movie or the recently announced playstation movie studio has taken over the project?

Correct. The only rumored PS studio project at the moment is Twisted Metal.

She just said she'd love to play Ellie. Don't think TLoU movie ever got to the casting stage.

Yeah, Neil said that a movie starring Joel and Ellie isn't happening. But he can see a movie that just takes place in the world without those characters.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see it at all. Drake is a cocky, overconfident asshole. Tom couldn't be a jerk if he spent a decade taking dickhead lessons from Ed Harris.

Spiderman's most well-defined trait is his witty banter. And the Tom Holland version of the character is widely considered the most accurate in that respect. Again, taking the goofiness that the character is supposed to have and assuming he couldn't play a role any other way, even while admitting he's talented, is a reductive and short-sighted point of view

Nathan drake is not a very complex character. He's a witty thief with a hint of heart. Only uncharted 4 goes even the least bit beyond that. The only thing an actor would absolutely need to pull it off is charisma. Holland has a boatload of charisma. He also has great comedic timing.

Last edited:

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Spiderman's most well-defined trait is his witty banter. And the Tom Holland version of the character is widely considered the most accurate in that respect. Again, taking the goofiness that the character is supposed to have and assuming he couldn't play a role any other way, even while admitting he's talented, is a reductive and short-sighted point of view

Nathan drake is not a very complex character. He's a witty thief with a hint of heart. Only uncharted 4 goes even the least bit beyond that. The only thing an actor would absolutely need to pull it off is charisma. Holland has a boatload of charisma.

That's the thing though, spider-man does witty banter but in the context of him being a genuine, lovable goof who always does his absolute best to do right thing no matter how it affects him.

Drake is a swaggering, cocky asshole. He's charismatic in a suave, young Harrison Ford way, the direct opposite of Holland's brand of idealistic, bright eyed, eager charisma. Holland is charismatic in the MCU as a starstruck kid just excited to be around his literal heroes.

Even as a young origin story version of the character, it's hard to imagine Drake as an overly enthusiastic naive child, which is almost certainly how Holland is going to portray him.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holland doesn't have the same vibe as the Nate that we know. Not a good choice if you're trying to nail the source material.

He could pass as kid Drake, but not the adult we've seen in the games.
That's the thing though, spider-man does witty banter but in the context of him being a genuine, lovable goof who always does his absolute best to do right thing no matter how it affects him.

Drake is a swaggering, cocky asshole. He's charismatic in a suave, young Harrison Ford way, the direct opposite of Holland's brand of idealistic, bright eyed, eager charisma. Holland is charismatic in the MCU as a starstruck kid just excited to be around his literal heroes.

Even as a young origin story version of the character, it's hard to imagine Drake as an overly enthusiastic naive child, which is almost certainly how Holland is going to portray him.

Well said.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Everyone needs to move past them somehow finding a 1:1 of the Nathan Drake character model. What are you going to do when he opens his mouth and it's not Nolan North?

Holland has shown he can quip, which is essentially Drake's main character trait.

It'll be a Young Drake story, it will likely blow as all VG movies tend to, and the world will move on.