• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Just got to Chapter 9 in UC4 and I'm enjoying it way more this time around then when it first came out. 120FPS looks so damn good and makes combat way better now for me.

Oct 27, 2017
In Golden Abyss Sully was more like 1's Sully-Nate relationship. Honor among thieves and all that.

Now that I'm thinking about Uncharted again, I believe two changes to UC4 would have made it perfect for me:

Sam should have just been an orphanage bro and not blood related because that cocks up previous games.

And two, cut
Sam's lie as a chapter.

If the cat wasn't out of the bag so early in workshopping, they could have reserved the option to reveal to the player that Sam was Nate's brother right when Elena found out. That would have been something. They would have been able to make more grounding of the flashbacks (even Sam's) for long-time series veterans, rather than the awkward-feeling in media res and background first few levels to force-in the relationship. The opening levels would work fine, maybe better, as flashbacks as nate faces elena not knowing, and the game would still safely be synopsized at the end as "Nathan Drake's long-lost brother takes him on the pirate adventure he always wanted."

Hindsight, though - they ran with the brother-as-antagonist idea too quickly and early, even before the reshuffle.

I'm playing now and I'm doing things I didn't do before in the libertalia combat sections - like unintentionally stealthing past whole chunks. The game even acknowledges it. Pretty cool.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't got to the scene yet, but I kind of think their was going to be at least one more flashback. There's one scene where Nate falls and probably gets a concussion and just wakes up with just a "that hurt" and continues on. It felt like there was going to be a flashback where you find out what happened between The End of UC2 and the beginning of UC4. There's a whole lot of stuff that happened during that time that was never fleshed out.

Now the game absolutely did not need another flashback. But still I kind of think another one was planned.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
A few hours into Lost Legacy and I'd forgotten just how great Chloe was. I could easily play a full game with her in the lead. She's a better modern Lara Croft than the real thing. She's also one of the only Australian characters I can think of in a game that's written like she's an Australian. Her personality and quips are on point, like how she apologises to Nadine for being a control freak that has to drive.
Nadine is a wet blanket at the start but I think I remember her relaxing a bit later on. I think I'd prefer a different sidekick or at least sharing the load if they make a sequel.

The 60FPS also makes a big difference to the combat in this as the PS4 version had too much input lag for my liking, and playing this and U4 back to back highlights just how different U4's gunplay felt. U4 has far too much bullet spread and meant I relied on automatic weapons all game. LL is like the original three games and I'm pulling off headshots left and right. I figured the ten in a row trophy would be challenging but I got it in the first encounter.

Edit:

Ohh, and the haptics (which I've warmed up to) are great during the thunder storm. They really add to those big lightning cracks.

Last edited:

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting around to UC4 (and LL) for the first time. Just got to the point where I stopped on the ps4 version of UC4. (Ch5) Crazy how I was such a huge fan of these games from UC1 onwards (including golden abyss) and onwards but never finished UC4. Hyped to finish it for the first time. I am hooked and hyped

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't got to the scene yet, but I kind of think their was going to be at least one more flashback. There's one scene where Nate falls and probably gets a concussion and just wakes up with just a "that hurt" and continues on. It felt like there was going to be a flashback where you find out what happened between The End of UC2 and the beginning of UC4. There's a whole lot of stuff that happened during that time that was never fleshed out.

Now the game absolutely did not need another flashback. But still I kind of think another one was planned.

Oh, when the storm subsides and he wakes up and the graphics-gate scene plays where he rubs his face? Quite possible.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Just got to Chapter 9 in UC4 and I'm enjoying it way more this time around then when it first came out. 120FPS looks so damn good and makes combat way better now for me.

What would you say is the biggest change/difference between 60 and 120? I played a few encounters at 60fps and felt that was more than enough for me.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
What would you say is the biggest change/difference between 60 and 120? I played a few encounters at 60fps and felt that was more than enough for me.

It's when you swiftly go from target to target and the fast cuts in the stunt scenes where 120fps really shines - at least for me.
One of the most impressive showcases for me so far when it comes high refresh rates on consoles.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
It's when you swiftly go from target to target and the fast cuts in the stunt scenes where 120fps really shines - at least for me.
One of the most impressive showcases for me so far when it comes high refresh rates on consoles.

Nice, thanks! I think I'll give it a serious look in some encounters and see how it feels before doing a full playthrough again.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
So just finished Lost Legacy and it was better than I remembered. I wasn't a huge fan of the wide open section but in a replay it's actually a fairly small portion of the game and it only has interesting content, so I'm fine with it. The ending was great and didn't big out on me this time, so that helped.

So wanting more Uncharted I decided to try and watch a long play of Golden Abyss which I've never played, but after a few cutscenes I couldn't stand it anymore and had to turn it off. The writing is godawful compared to the Naughty Dog games. They tried far too hard with the joes and natural dialogue but couldn't pull it off.
I think I'll just replay 1-3 again instead. Really hope they get an update one day though. U1 looks good with forced HDR, but 1080p is a shame and the camera speed is ridiculously slow coming off of Lost Legacy.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the upgrade on my friends PS5 since I'm not home, I was logged into my account of course and paid with wallet funds but I didn't get a confirmation receipt from Sony. I get them for everything even demos, just worried about not getting the movie ticket. Did everyone get receipts for purchase?

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Just got the upgrade last night. I'm starting with The Lost Legacy since I never played that one and then I'll revisit UC4, hopefully before or around the time the movie comes out.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
"Say hi to Avery", "Adios amigo"

Fuck you
FUCK YOU

Who the hell thought this was fun? And I have to that sequence three times. while only occasionally getting it once? Must have died 50+ times already.

Just seriously Fuck you!

Edit: Got them.!

Last edited:

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the upgrade on my friends PS5 since I'm not home, I was logged into my account of course and paid with wallet funds but I didn't get a confirmation receipt from Sony. I get them for everything even demos, just worried about not getting the movie ticket. Did everyone get receipts for purchase?
Move ticket email doesn't go out until like Feb 8 or 9 or something

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
r3wAyr.png

Rikster

Jun 24, 2018
California
Honestly the resolution between 60-120 modes is pretty noticeable you can most deff see more blurry ness, but honestly I don't mind it. Doing the chase scene shootout at 120 looked absolutely insane on my oled. But yeah shooting feels way more fluid at 120, but performance is the sweet spot.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
U4 is such a grand adventure, I can barely believe it. TLOU II is more intricate, but despite its relative length, U4 feels like a much bigger game. Just astounding. Treasure hunting is a dumb conceit imo and this sense of adventure doesn't appeal to me much at all, but I'm enjoying U4 a ton regardless; it's unbelievable the craftsmanship that has gone into this game.

What should I expect of Lost Legacy? People tell me it's better paced, which I can well imagine, but I'm also guessing it's nowhere near as grand as U4, is that right?

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
What should I expect of Lost Legacy? People tell me it's better paced, which I can well imagine, but I'm also guessing it's nowhere near as grand as U4, is that right?
Story-wise, Lost Legacy is a much more rushed and not as developed story, but still solid with some great dialogue, performances and sequences. Gameplay-wise it's a lot more combat focused than Uncharted 4, and the pacing can drag in Chapter 4 depending on how long you decide to spend in it.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I won't lie, I actually thought that the idea of having Sam as a woman and an old sister to Nate would've been a far more interesting dynamic, especially with Elena and also with Sully, (given how slimy he could be).

Otherwise, Sam just being an orphanage brother as well makes more sense than an actual blood relative. I don't mind Nate's mother being knee-deep in all the adventure stuff, but the sudden reveal of having an actual brother feels less impactful given the nature of Sam's writing and direction.

It's still my favorite Uncharted despite its issues. It feels a lot more grand and personal at the same time. Great gameplay evolutions as well.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
After all these years of wondering how Nate survives these crazy ass stunts, I finally understand now. Nate does die doing the tricks if you don't do them correctly, preventing death. However, you will die doing some stunts because you are supposed to until you get the timing or mechanics right. I was playing the bell tower level, and I was like, "why doesn't this guy die doing this." Then I died, and it clicked. This epiphany was worth the $10 upgrade.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, when the storm subsides and he wakes up and the graphics-gate scene plays where he rubs his face? Quite possible.

Yeah that one. I just got to the point and it's a bit more complicated. I think that scene was supposed to have the next flashback with Sam as kids and the scene where that flashback happens where Elena finds Nate was supposed to be a flashback with Elena. I mean Nate says "I left my life for you" right before. Kind of seems like a flashback where among other things Nate decides to hang up his half tuck happens.

Also that flashback with Sam was originally going to have a play sword fight in it to teach you that mechanic for later but was cut. And between that flashback fakeout and when it actually happens Sam does that "hey remember when we used to have play sword fights?" Thing. In the game right now that happens before the flashback happens. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
If you can, 120fps is definitely the way to go. Makes the PS5 quick menu blurry though (is that because it defaults to 4:2:2? or just 1080p?)

Can't tell the difference with HDR though

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Honestly the resolution between 60-120 modes is pretty noticeable you can most deff see more blurry ness, but honestly I don't mind it. Doing the chase scene shootout at 120 looked absolutely insane on my oled. But yeah shooting feels way more fluid at 120, but performance is the sweet spot.

Thanks for that. I started a playthrough of UC4 at 120. Toggled between 60 and 120 and definitely felt the fluidity of the controls and gunplay.

I will probably continue it this way. I'm on an OLED C9 so it's not bad at all. This definitely feels like a completely different experience to the past playthroughs I've had.

Tried 30fps just to see how it felt and while the fidelity looks great, that framerate is horrid. I'll never go back.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
If you can, 120fps is definitely the way to go. Makes the PS5 quick menu blurry though (is that because it defaults to 4:2:2? or just 1080p?)

Agreed, after finishing both UC4 and UC:LL again in the 120fps mode, it made me a believer.
I've tried to play other games in this mode on PS5 but didn't like it much mainly because it's pretty unstable and you can feel
the frame drops whereas in Uncharted this mode was pretty stable, especially UC4, rarely you would notice any drops.
Don't sleep on this mode people, if can't handle the drop in resolution, I suggest you at least try to play the chase sequences like
the one in Madagascar, they really are incredible when playing in 120fps.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Agreed, after finishing both UC4 and UC:LL again in the 120fps mode, it made me a believer.
I've tried to play other games in this mode on PS5 but didn't like it much mainly because it's pretty unstable and you can feel
the frame drops whereas in Uncharted this mode was pretty stable, especially UC4, rarely you would notice any drops.
Don't sleep on this mode people, if can't handle the drop in resolution, I suggest you at least try to play the chase sequences like
the one in Madagascar, they really are incredible when playing in 120fps.
Aside from the backgrounds, the game looks so soft that it's genuinely hard to tell the difference between native 4k and 1080p to me. Naughty dog games just feel even better at high framerates

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
last time I played this game it was years ago on a 1080p LCD at 30FPS, now playing it on my CX I'm as blown away today by the graphics as I was then with just the resolution, FPS, OLED and HDR updates alone. the animations by ND are really unmatched

Also love the dual sense implementation and this game has the best audio for headphones that I've heard for any PS5 title

Rikster

Jun 24, 2018
California
Thanks for that. I started a playthrough of UC4 at 120. Toggled between 60 and 120 and definitely felt the fluidity of the controls and gunplay.

I will probably continue it this way. I'm on an OLED C9 so it's not bad at all. This definitely feels like a completely different experience to the past playthroughs I've had.

Tried 30fps just to see how it felt and while the fidelity looks great, that framerate is horrid. I'll never go back.
Yeah I honestly kept switching between the two modes throughout my playthrough, nice we got the same tv! Also finishing it today I think it's a way better game then when I played it a long time ago. I'll probably switch modes with lost legacy as well.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
last time I played this game it was years ago on a 1080p LCD at 30FPS, now playing it on my CX I'm as blown away today by the graphics as I was then with just the resolution, FPS, OLED and HDR updates alone. the animations by ND are really unmatched

Also love the dual sense implementation and this game has the best audio for headphones that I've heard for any PS5 title

Yeah, I originally played it on a 1080p projector without HDR and thought it looked fantastic but playing it now on my 4k TV really shows how much of an improvement even just HDR can be. I'm playing Guardians of the Galaxy in the 4k mode right now too and I think Uncharted holds up very well even next to it.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Just cleaned up the trophies that didn't sync up for LL, the game is amazing at 60 and the TV 3D Audio really shines in this game.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I really wish they hadn't changed the icons for the PS4 version of these games to the Legacy of Thieves art. And now on the app it says I was playing the collection when I was just playing uncharted 4 multiplayer.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
U4 is such a grand adventure, I can barely believe it. TLOU II is more intricate, but despite its relative length, U4 feels like a much bigger game. Just astounding. Treasure hunting is a dumb conceit imo and this sense of adventure doesn't appeal to me much at all, but I'm enjoying U4 a ton regardless; it's unbelievable the craftsmanship that has gone into this game.

I'd say it's still just as grand in scale. Lost Legacy is on par with UC4's level of quality all the way through, but about half the length. It's a really impressive game.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Yeah I honestly kept switching between the two modes throughout my playthrough, nice we got the same tv! Also finishing it today I think it's a way better game then when I played it a long time ago. I'll probably switch modes with lost legacy as well.

Not a bad idea to try both. Maybe for the more amazing set pieces I'll try 60, haha. Enjoy your time with them!

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

It's 1080p, lower chroma subsampling wouldn't make it look blurry, you would just see different color pixels along the edges, if that. Lower chroma subsampling is almost unnoticable in general, unless you look for it with a magnifying glass (and even then it would be hard to notice).

1080p, on the other hand, is very noticeable on text. I play at 60 because 120 is not worth the quality drop imo, even though it is nicer than I expected.

Which TV? HDR is pretty nice in this game, depending on the location. It's especially great in dark scenes with bright light sources.

InResolute

Banned
Jan 21, 2022
Uncharted 4 is my favourite PlayStation exclusive of all time, by far. It's a 12/10 masterpiece from start to finish. I've never been more excited to go through it again, and now at a steady 60fps! :)

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland

The Lost Legacy is amazing, but don't let anyone tell you that it's better than Uncharted 4. It has a very weak villain and the story is definitely one of the least interesting ones in the series. However it's fantastic from a pure adventure/spectacle perspective, if that's what you like about Uncharted you're gonna have a great time.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
The Lost Legacy is amazing, but don't let anyone tell you that it's better than Uncharted 4. It has a very weak villain and the story is definitely one of the least interesting ones in the series. However it's fantastic from a pure adventure/spectacle perspective, if that's what you like about Uncharted you're gonna have a great time.

I would argue that the chemistry between Chloe and Nadine is one of the best relationships in the series, and that's "story" too. Even Sam is more likable in LL, in my opinion.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
uber hot take - I don't find Drake not mentioning his brother to be a huge deal.

In the game, it's explained as Drake not wanting to bring Sam up as him dying is a painful memory for him that he prefers to stay away from. And, in the games we see him, Drake rarely brings up anything from his past aside from some scant references to past adventures, usually with Sully. Not to mention that Nate and Sam don't really seem to have gone on too many adventures together. Nate mentioned that they took turns being in prison, so when one was out, the other was in.

Like, consider, in what context that we see in the games would bringing up Sam be relevant? What scene and to who would he bring it up? I would say not many, and even in the handful that we would assume, it's not implausible that Nate wouldn't mention him. I get that it's weird in the sense that you thought you knew drake and he would have mentioned having a brother, but....well, imo, not really if you think about it.
As someone who has a dead brother, I can pretty much with confidence say it's not something I bring up except when I get really close to someone. And it's not like those conversations are long or even something I really want to discuss. It's just something I have to mention because its important to me and that they need to know. I fully understand someone like Nate would not bring it up except in very personal moments. I don't remember if Elena knew in the game but that's someone who I would be close enough to mention it too. On the other hand Nate doesn't have a problem lying about so many other things, so...

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
It's 1080p, lower chroma subsampling wouldn't make it look blurry, you would just see different color pixels along the edges, if that. Lower chroma subsampling is almost unnoticable in general, unless you look for it with a magnifying glass (and even then it would be hard to notice).

1080p, on the other hand, is very noticeable on text. I play at 60 because 120 is not worth the quality drop imo, even though it is nicer than I expected.

Which TV? HDR is pretty nice in this game, depending on the location. It's especially great in dark scenes with bright light sources.
Thanks for explaining, appreciate it. I'm using a C1 that I received yesterday, so far HDR has been very noticeable on Tsushima and Ori on Series X, but I'm struggling to see any difference on Uncharted 4. I'll need to play more though before making a fairer assesment.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
got to chapter 7 of lost legacy and unfortunately won't be able to play it for the next 10 days but what a game, I like that Chloe and Nadine's relationship isn't perfect and is quite different from Nate and Sully/Elena, the game is also absolutely gorgeous and I really liked the open level, ND really seems to excel at the open level layout with this and Seattle in TLOU2.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a really long time since I played an uncharted. Lost Legacy on middle difficulty is hard for me lol, I didn't even realize the shooting has to be precise, can't just go gung ho. Interesting change of pace for me l.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

The game is not HGIG compatible, however, and it doesn't have proper sliders. The general recommendation is that DTM is more accurate here (with brightness set to 3).

HGIG is not the best option for every game, though I do prefer the look to DTM. That's why I asked.