• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just think ND formula doesn't work on longer game. Yet to play LL but UC2 and TLoU are still their best work for me. UC3 wasn't needed already.

It's not as good as either of those but it had convinced me they learned from UC4's pacing issues until I played TLOU2. It quickly became apparent that it was just the circumstances behind it's development that was behind it's short length and breezy pace.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It's not as good as either of those but it had convinced me they learned from UC4's pacing issues until I played TLOU2. It quickly became apparent that it was just the circumstances behind it's development that was behind it's short length and breezy pace.
I also tried to find excuses for UC 4. Last game, formula too exploited, game scenario reboot, ...
I mean, they had excuses. And a lot of people praised LL so.

Then Part II happened.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I highly recommend finding all the letters and reading Drake Journal as he scribles in new stuff. The drawings, commentaries and annotations he does are hilarious. The letters though are some of my favourite parts of the game. It's a game of many stories:

Drake's quest to find Libertalia.
A previous expedition's quest.
An expedition to find the other expedition (and the treasure).
Drake's marriage.
The story of how Libertalia was conceived, created and it's downfall.

I love it. It's so well written. And then there is all the environmental storytelling with poignant moments when you find the body of this character who's letters you've been reading for the past 10 hours of gameplay.

And the two Monkey Island references are great. One of my favourite games for the PS4.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah so… it turns out the Disc that came with my Australian collectors edition copy of Uncharted 4 is actually a US region disc, which means the upgrade refuses to show on the Australian PS store for me.

I've already contacted PS support and they're supposedly going to try to solve it in the next couple days.

So if you bought the collecters edition at launch here in Australia check your disc to see if it says T for Teen or MA15, because you might also have a US disc.

Just make a US account. Log in with it, claim the upgrade. Change user back to your AUS account and play the game.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand finished Lost Legacy. Better than I thought it was at launch in 2017, but still prob more like a 8.75/10 compared to Uncharted 4 which is more like a 9.5/10. Lost Legacy scores points for variety, but ultimately there's still just too many combat encounters (which have always been and continue to be the worst part of the series) and a story that feels a bit rushed and underdeveloped, especially with regards to the villain.

Still, had a great time with both games, and look forward to revisiting them in the future once the Steam version is out.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Well, finished again. I still think it's one of the best endings to a game series we're likely to get. The epilogue is perfect and I love the whole adventure (I can forgive the slow pacing because it's the last hurrah).
I decided not to bother with stealth this time as there aren't enough gunfights anyway, and I think I enjoyed that approach more. The music is also far better than I remember once I cranked it in the audio options (basically doubled it compared to everything else). The music that plays during the chase scenes with the gun trucks gives me Fury Road vibes.

On to Lost Legacy, which I hope I like more this time around. I've only played it once and the whole final set piece was so buggy it sort of soured my experience. I'm hoping latches have ironed that out since then.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Took the bait and paid the 10 quid bribe - after dabbling with an encounter in both, after importing PS4 saves, I think the Performance mode is the way to go for a future playthrough for me. The 120 fps doesn't feel that much better than the 60 but the 30, holy hell, never try the 30 if you load up a save game at 60 or above lol I am reminded though just how good Lost Legacy is. I feel more of an urge to replay that rather than 4. The Chloe/Nadine dynamic was more interesting to me than the Nate/Sam one. As an aside I don't need my Lost Legacy PS4 Disc now unless I want to play it on a PS4 which is unlikely. 4 was already a digital purchase but yeah I now have a defunct PS4 disc that I do not need to play Lost Legacy. Which is good from an extreme laziness standpoint but otherwise not that interesting :D

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's just that you want to like it so much that you are finding excuses. If it doesn't work the first time, it's because there was problem.
LMAO wut? No, that's fucking stupid.

I have a long history of appreciating second playthroughs, or watches, or reads more than first ones. First impressions are over valued. Art where it makes more sense or is better the second time around is generally art I think more highly of, because it means it's doing things that aren't immediately obvious.

You don't need to take that methodology to gaming, there are a lot of people who make posts where they want to forget it and play it through blind again, but I have never been one on of them and you don't get to tell me how I enjoy my games.

Sometimes games are better the second time around and I like it when they are.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
LMAO wut? No, that's fucking stupid.

I have a long history of appreciating second playthroughs, or watches, or reads more than first ones. First impressions are over valued. Art where it makes more sense or is better the second time around is generally art I think more highly of, because it means it's doing things that aren't immediately obvious.

You don't need to take that methodology to gaming, there are a lot of people who make posts where they want to forget it and play it through blind again, but I have never been one on of them and you don't get to tell me how I enjoy my games.

Sometimes games are better the second time around and I like it when they are.
Thanks for the insult, I reported you.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Took the bait and paid the 10 quid bribe - after dabbling with an encounter in both, after importing PS4 saves, I think the Performance mode is the way to go for a future playthrough for me. The 120 fps doesn't feel that much better than the 60 but the 30, holy hell, never try the 30 if you load up a save game at 60 or above lol I am reminded though just how good Lost Legacy is. I feel more of an urge to replay that rather than 4. The Chloe/Nadine dynamic was more interesting to me than the Nate/Sam one. As an aside I don't need my Lost Legacy PS4 Disc now unless I want to play it on a PS4 which is unlikely. 4 was already a digital purchase but yeah I now have a defunct PS4 disc that I do not need to play Lost Legacy. Which is good from an extreme laziness standpoint but otherwise not that interesting :D

I didn't go back and play the PS4 version once I caved and upgraded, but I was switching between Fidelity/Performance/Performance+ modes and 30 felt unplayable to me despite playing the first six chapters or so with the PS4 version. Not sure if it's just more jarring to switch or if they changed too much w/r/t motion blur but it felt worse than when I'd switch between Fidelity/performance modes in Forza or something

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
That's how you apologize ? Talk about dick move...
No, there's no apology in there. I was just saying that the "fuck you" was going too far, so I did a hasty edit. So hasty that you don't actually have the insult in the quote text in fact.

But I don't regret at all saying you're post is fucking stupid. I know why I think the way I think more than you and it's insulting to imply otherwise when I've written extensively on my opining. Apologize for THAT presumptive bullshit and then we'll talk about whether I feel actually sorry for insulting you in return.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Sharpening is by me, raised this a bit in photo mode to my taste, looks amazing on TV, colors are original tho, no filter here.

Love the vegetation in U4, looks incredible to me, no idea what you mean. Have no jungle pics at hand yet, only stuff from the first few chapters.
Here are some more 4K pics.

r3tt0Z.png

r38aix.png

r3AizZ.png

r38gVD.png

r380D3.png
The interiors are so so nice. I can't wait to revisit the final chapter in the game, that blew me away the first time.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I'm thinking about Uncharted again, I believe two changes to UC4 would have made it perfect for me:

Sam should have just been an orphanage bro and not blood related because that cocks up previous games.

And two, cut
Sam's lie as a chapter.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Now that I'm thinking about Uncharted again, I believe two changes to UC4 would have made it perfect for me:

Sam should have just been an orphanage bro and not blood related because that cocks up previous games.

And two, cut
Sam's lie as a chapter.

I've seen this a few times but how does it cock up other games and what difference would him being an orphan make? Just the fact it's strange Drake never mentioned a brother before?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any place that sells cheap ps4 codes of uc4 to use the upgrade later?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, "going to far" isn't apologizing at all. It's basic toxic behavior.
(I don't care that you call my post fucking stupid)
Well...yes? That's literally what I just said? I wasn't apologizing. I do not apologize to you. I was just explaining why I removed it. That said, toxic? Lol.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this a few times but how does it cock up other games and what difference would him being an orphan make? Just the fact it's strange Drake never mentioned a brother before?
uber hot take - I don't find Drake not mentioning his brother to be a huge deal.

In the game, it's explained as Drake not wanting to bring Sam up as him dying is a painful memory for him that he prefers to stay away from. And, in the games we see him, Drake rarely brings up anything from his past aside from some scant references to past adventures, usually with Sully. Not to mention that Nate and Sam don't really seem to have gone on too many adventures together. Nate mentioned that they took turns being in prison, so when one was out, the other was in.

Like, consider, in what context that we see in the games would bringing up Sam be relevant? What scene and to who would he bring it up? I would say not many, and even in the handful that we would assume, it's not implausible that Nate wouldn't mention him. I get that it's weird in the sense that you thought you knew drake and he would have mentioned having a brother, but....well, imo, not really if you think about it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Well...yes? That's literally what I just said? I wasn't apologizing. I do not apologize to you. I was just explaining why I removed it. That said, toxic? Lol.
You either didn't "go too far" and need to assume your insult.
Or you did and you apologies.
Editing it like nothing happened is toxic bully behavior. And the fact that this makes you laugh is pretty telling.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
uber hot take - I don't find Drake not mentioning his brother to be a huge deal.

In the game, it's explained as Drake not wanting to bring Sam up as him dying is a painful memory for him that he prefers to stay away from. And, in the games we see him, Drake rarely brings up anything from his past aside from some scant references to past adventures, usually with Sully. Not to mention that Nate and Sam don't really seem to have gone on too many adventures together. Nate mentioned that they took turns being in prison, so when one was out, the other was in.

Like, consider, in what context that we see in the games would bringing up Sam be relevant? What scene and to who would he bring it up? I would say not many, and even in the handful that we would assume, it's not implausible that Nate wouldn't mention him. I get that it's weird in the sense that you thought you knew drake and he would have mentioned having a brother, but....well, imo, not really if you think about it.

Yeah, I've never really had a problem with Sam. I mean, you could explain it away by either it was too painful to talk about, or that he did bring him up but just in the games were played as Nate.

Anecdotally, I found out one of my close friends lost their sister the other day. We were pretty drunk and they started showing me photos of her and talked about how it happened (she would have been 18 or so). I've known this person years and they've never talked about their sister before.

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is Marlowe had info on him and surely it would have been used to metaphorically twist the knife. Maybe she just didn't get to it, who knows.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility over a Series of Posts
You either didn't "go too far" and need to assume your insult.
Or you did and you apologies.
I went too far because I expressed myself in a crasser manner than I would have liked, which meant my post didn't quite strike the right tone. In other words, I wanted the post to read sentimentality and tone of "fuck you" without necessarily having to say it. That I did say it was more along the lines of a writing mistake, not etiquette mistake. I don't have any regrets about insulting you, I just think I should have been more laconic about it. If anything, the subsequent conversation that has followed that post has affirmed you are worth insulting.

(but you see how I am strongly implying my low opinion of you without actually writing any actual insults? Now you might see what I am going for)

Editing it like nothing happened is toxic bully behavior. And the fact that this makes you laugh is pretty telling.
First off, lmao.

Second, if I was acting like nothing happened, I would admit to having said and edited it. But an offhanded "fuck you" in response to a shitty accusation isn't bullying by any stretch of the imagination. And at this point, this convo has derailed the thread enough, so I'm ending my side of the reply chain here. If the mods think I crossed any meaningful lines, I'll let them hash it out, but for me, the worst I could be said to have done is a rude social faux pas, the idea that this amounts to toxicity or bullying is laughable.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is Marlowe had info on him and surely it would have been used to metaphorically twist the knife. Maybe she just didn't get to it, who knows.

Well, you have a point, this is the one scene where you might think it'd turn up. Arguably, she might have wanted to isolate the painpoints to his childhood, where Sam was a more adult trauma or maybe Sam managed to erase some records (after all, both Sam and Nate were trying to disappear, maybe on one of their adventures they managed to alter government records), but yeah, okay, this is one scene where you'd plausibly think Sam would come up.

But I feel like this is the only scene in the franchise where that's the case. Is it really that messy if it's one, singular scene of vague threat when the bulk of the series, we don't have reason for it to come up?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I wanted the post to read sentimentality and tone of "fuck you" without necessarily having to say it.
the worst I could be said to have done is a rude social faux pas
the idea that this amounts to toxicity
Toxicity, anti-scoial behaviour :
Anti-social behaviours are actions that harm or lack consideration for the well-being of others.[1] It has also been defined as any type of conduct that violates the basic rights of another person[2] and any behaviour that is considered to be disruptive to others in society.[3] This can be carried out in various ways, which includes, but is not limited to, intentional aggression, as well as covert and overt hostility.

Man, seriously...

Nov 1, 2017
Lots of people said they didn't like the infected encounters in TLOU1 and found the human enemies more fun. Should Naughty Dog have listened to them and just had all the infected die on their way to their home planet between games and had the sequel be "the infected are gone, but the world is still shit?"

No or course not. The entire story is built around Ellie's immunity, that would be rediculous. But for some reason they thought the equivalent of that was the right way to go in Uncharted.

If a mechanic is poorly recieved, you can always make it better instead of get rid of it. Especially when their are wide reaching concesquences for doing so.

What if Naughty Dog didn't enjoy the mechanic? The Djinn in Uncharted 3 already felt pretty forced, like they felt obligated to have some kind of supernatural fuckery.

I'd welcome other-worldness in future games but I didn't miss it one bit in Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy.

Oct 27, 2017
1000% disagree. No supernatural ruins everyone's motivations. Why do they keep leaving valuable awesome treasures behind or destroying them in firefights to get different treasure if it's not magic?

The game is Indiana Jones no matter how hard Naughty Dog tries to pretend differently. As terrible as some of the story parts of the last two Tomb Raider games have been, they were smart enough to know they had to keep that.

I'm not at the end again but my memory is:

Nate: I've changed my mind, I don't want the treasure anymore, let's go home. But boy we sure did learn about our relationship and experience positive character growth didn't we? Could have done that without murdering 1000 people but whatever.

Rafe: You, you just can't leave and let me have the treasure. This is a video game and there has to be a final boss fight and I'm the bad guy.

Then the ending is a love letter to a character they treated like shit for 3 games and just pretended they didn't.

How is that better then "stop the bad guy from using the magic treasure to take over the world"?

Lots of people said they didn't like the infected encounters in TLOU1 and found the human enemies more fun. Should Naughty Dog have listened to them and just had all the infected die on their way to their home planet between games and had the sequel be "the infected are gone, but the world is still shit?"

No or course not. The entire story is built around Ellie's immunity, that would be rediculous. But for some reason they thought the equivalent of that was the right way to go in Uncharted.

If a mechanic is poorly recieved, you can always make it better instead of get rid of it. Especially when their are wide reaching concesquences for doing so.
The zombies from uncharted 1 are never seen again, the guardians from uncharted 2 are never seen again, and the Djinn from uncharted 3 are never seen again (were possibly never real in the first place). The supernatural creatures only show up towards the end of their respective games, they're not a central threat to uncharted's overall story the same way the infected are to TLOU's story; the supernatural creatures are temporary obstacles to the main goal, the infected are a constant.

Remove the supernatural creatures and you will still have to stop the villains in the first 3 uncharted games from getting a biological weapon, a super soldier serum and another biological weapon.

And Rafe was motivated by envy, he wanted Nathan's fame and reputation and the credit for discovering Libertalia and its treasures, which is why he didn't want to kill Nathan, and yeah he is the bad guy.
I'm curious if Sam was even ever a part of the story before they started all over after Amy was gone.
Yes, Sam was in Amy Hennig's original game as an antagonist at the beginning of the game that is later revealed as Nathan's brother before they team up against Rafe.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if Sam was even ever a part of the story before they started all over after Amy was gone.
He was, he was still going to be Nate's brother who had been believed to be dead but was actually imprisoned in a Panamian jail for 15 years, but he was going to be more of a villain, until the very end of the game when Nate and him would set aside their differences and team up to stop the real villain, Rafe, who was going to be someone else that was imprisoned in the Panamian jail all that time.

Needless to say, what we ultimately got in Uncharted 4 is much better.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Replayed a few encounters last night in UC4. Going to do another playthrough for each game.

60fps is amazing on this. It's like removing a screen door in front of your eyes.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, this retro-characterization thing is something the series has done before, in a more subtle way, with Sully.

Throughout the series, Sully is Drake's wise mentor and voice of guidance and reason and a father figure whose known and protected him since he was a child.

But that's not how we're introduced to him in uncharted 1.

In UC1, he's the one who fucks up and causes the crash. Then, Nate assumes that Sully is dead, and he's upset about that, but not to the extent that you'd think considering he's basically his Dad. He's more along the lines of "Dammit, I lost my co-worker". Like, it's not some deep emotional trauma, but just having lost the guy he was working with. And, most damningly, when Sully IS found to be alive and well, and working with the villain, Drake assumes that Sully actually betrayed him, which is basically unthinkable with the characterization he is given in the later game.

It's a normal writing thing where sometimes characters behave weird when new writers later on bring in new ideas. Such was Sully, and such is Sam.

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I've been doing a replay of the series, going straight from one game to the next. I'm currently on U3 and technically, it's amazing. I thought the jump from 1 to 2 was a big deal, but it's beyond that from 2 to 3. Character models get slightly better. But the environment work is the real showcase in U3 - and that all starts near the beginning with the chateau level. The shadows in the jungle, the little stream you cross on the way, and the way the building has aged was really kind of a tease of what was to come for Last Of Us. Then the whole thing breaks out in a fire which was amazing as well.

I don't remember being blown away back then as much as I am now.

Oct 27, 2017
I also forget how much I wish UC4's supernatural replacement were more than just bombs.

Imagine having traps that had you dodging and partying as practice for the final boss.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Caved and upgraded it. I had skipped chapters 1-7 with my old finished game save. It was the best decision for me because the pacing is simply not good in the beginning. With that said, I haven't played this since 2016 and I don't remember much about it. It's been nice to go back and play it because I am enjoying it more now. DualSense implementation is alright but I expected better.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty tempted to get this just to replay the entire series. I got the 1-3 remastered collection when it was free on PS+ but never actually touched it, so I've only really experienced the games on their original release.