• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Some screenshots from my playthrough of Uncharted 4 and Uncharted The Lost Legacy.

Uncharted 4 (PlayStation 4)

uncharted4_athiefsendqpjmu.png

uncharted4_athiefsendcok1e.png

uncharted4_athiefsend0ck5c.png

Uncharted The Lost Legacy (PlayStation 4 Pro)

uncharted_thelostlega3ij3z.png

uncharted_thelostlega3bjnr.png

uncharted_thelostlegajukrw.png

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
And one as baked lighting and the other one dynamic.
I like that some people said on the thread of UE demo that there weren't impressed. That geometry without lod transition is such a jump.

edit: Just wish the UE5 demo featured more foliage
Me too. There is in the flight scene but it is too distant, on the side, so you can't really see how it looks.
More generally, I expected more moving object.
I don't think GoT is that good looking if you watch the details. But the colorful art and the fact almost everything move is really a big step.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
In case you don't know Epic kinda got inspired by what ND is doing:
Before, they added the indirect shadow tech from TLOU after one of the updates in UE4.
And now they got inspired by Uncharted 4/TLL (and TLOU/2) dynamic GI and they enabeld it for all situations (watch NXGamer ).
And obviously TLOU2 characters and animations and interactivity still look much better than this UE5 character demo obviously (which seems to be just imported from a current gen project).

I can't wait to see what ND gonna do with PS5.
No one can imagine it. :O

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
*Lara Croft is just standing at the corner, looking in the distance why nobody remember her*
pnefgju.jpg

Don't worry I'll never forget you! ;)
I just finished Shadow and especially the jungle after the crash looks quite okay, not at the same level as UE5 of course but at 60fps it looks very nice I'd say.
WxAtKnV.jpg

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What I got from this is that Uncharted 4 still looks incredible, but the jump is pretty clear.

Basically where I'm at as well. I can't wait for next gen, but I'm way more curious what developers are gonna do with a much improved CPU and IO because the pure aesthetics at display here is already really fucking good.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of the biggest differences is that the lightning in the Unreal demo is completely dynamic

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
But if that demo was 100's GB it's going to be hard to make a real game look like that.

Utherellus

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Strange comparison indeed.

One uses pre-baked GI solution applied to static objects. Which really is limited to only static objects. And increasing game size.

Second uses astonishing interactive and dynamic GI solution.

Devs have been fighting for decades to reach first one's result but dynamically. And we finally got it.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I think U4 is a gorgeous game but I'd rather compare Dreams with UE5 (please be gentle with me lol)

As with most people I've been blown away by what was shown during the UE5 presentation.
The tech on display when it comes to nanite is what impressed me the most.
Saying that, I was playing Dreams last night and in my view the tech is already out there and fully playable on PS4.

This is a video I uploaded last night.

The same limitations apply, as the levels built in Dreams are using cloning methods to keep the file sizes down. This is something that will also be a problem with using assets as high in quality as the UE5 engine demo. Clever placement of the assets will be just as important as the quality too.

I can't wait to get into next gen, but I also feel like a taste is already out there.

This level I played last night looks fantastic and all the geometry is lit and casts shadows correctly.

While UE5 is going to allow any dev to push for a leap in details, I don't think it will be the only solution and may well not be the best at delivering it.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
DieH@rd OP you should try to put UC3 or TLoU alongside too, will be interesting to see the leaps between the 3 generations.

If I remember UC3 graphics correctly, UC3 to 4 seems like a bigger jump than UC4 to the demo. Not that the the latter jump is also not massive, both of them are.

It is an equal jump. UE5 lighting is so far ahead, and it's more evident in motion rather than stills

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How are some people still saying diminishing returns after seeing this..
Diminishing returns doesn't mean there aren't any upgrades.

UC4 honestly still looks damn good in 2020, as do most of the top tier graphical benchmarks of the generation. A stark contrast from 2013 when last-gen was looking pretty dang long in the tooth.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Uncharted details is rough compared to PS5, and that's.. a good thing lol.
Now the light, wow, this is not even comparable. It's not just that UE5 demo is dynamic and all, and eevrything is fine tuned to specific places in U4, it just looks completely fake to me in Uncharted. And i can tell you i was mega impressed by it back in the time.
If the UE5 demo is achieved at least efficiently enough in next gen games, it could be some of the biggest gap i've seen between generation really.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I think U4 is a gorgeous game but I'd rather compare Dreams with UE5 (please be gentle with me lol)

As with most people I've been blown away by what was shown during the UE5 presentation.
The tech on display when it comes to nanite is what impressed me the most.
Saying that, I was playing Dreams last night and in my view the tech is already out there and fully playable on PS4.

This is a video I uploaded last night.

The same limitations apply, as the levels built in Dreams are using cloning methods to keep the file sizes down. This is something that will also be a problem with using assets as high in quality as the UE5 engine demo. Clever placement of the assets will be just as important as the quality too.

I can't wait to get into next gen, but I also feel like a taste is already out there.

This level I played last night looks fantastic and all the geometry is lit and casts shadows correctly.

While UE5 is going to allow any dev to push for a leap in details, I don't think it will be the only solution and may well not be the best at delivering it.

Dreams is an effective immitation, but there's no fine detail to stuff the same way you get in UE5 once you get up close. It's all flecks.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda going off-topic here, and I hope it's OK. I never played any UC game whatsoever. If I play UC4, will I understand anything story-wise? Or do I absolutely have to play the previous games? I have UC4 in my backlog for ages but never had the chance to play.
You will miss a lot of references, but other than that you'll be fine.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure about that? Is this technology really not going to work on characters?
It can handle rigid transformations like for example a door, or a solid element moving, but it does not support transformable geo. like bending foliage and characters and anything that distorts the geometry. I am sure at some point the industry will find a way to do that still but for now its just tied to mostly static objects.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Now we are comparing one of the most high budget / polished games ever made with a tech demo designed to show of engine features that will be available to all devs.

I think the point of the tech demo was that you don't need massive resources to achieve this in our engine.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It can handle rigid transformations like for example a door, or a solid element moving, but it does not support transformable geo. like bending foliage and characters and anything that distorts the geometry. I am sure at some point the industry will find a way to do that still but for now its just tied to mostly static objects.
That's disappointing. UE5 isn't quite as groundbreaking as I imagined. When they talked about importing zbrush models I didn't realize they meant static objects.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if we'll see anything quite this detailed, one thing most people aren't accounting for is that authoring assets to this level of quality is going to increase the amount of time needed for artists to create assets pretty massively.
That depends on if other companies have actually figured out their own equivalent to UE5's Nanite. If they have then I expect asset generation time to either stay the same or decrease. Not having to waste weeks creating low poly versions of assets is going to be a massive time saver.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's very very important to note that none of the lighting in the UE5 demo is baked. Which says volumes about what devs will be able to do next gen.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
U4 still looks great. And this is a perfect answer to the thread about the high expectations surrounding the UE5 demo.

No wonder people expect a jump like that, when some games look amazing already.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Lightining is the o ly big difference here.
It's really not. The environment geometry and texturing is worlds apart. This generation saw a huge boost for character model details, but a very minor uplift for environment detail. Rocks are only slightly higher in poly count. Trees and grasses are still the exact same tech with low poly tree branches and flat-planed grass meshes for the most part. Textures are still muddy as hell up close. Some games put more effort in here than others (Kingdom Come deserves a shout out) but comparing Uncharted 3 to 4 for example, the environments aren't a colossal leap - it's the characters that see a big leap. This UE5 tech allows a colossal leap for environment design (while simultaneously speeding up the art pipeline, which is awesome).

I want to know how this UE5 tech holds up with vegetation though. What we saw was gorgeous, but it was also notably static rocks and architecture in a desert environment. Can it also hold up well with movie-quality flora assets that are all animating constantly? Every leaf on a tree 3D. Every blade of grass 3D. Every petal on a flower 3D. The poly density will skyrocket in lush environments. I'm curious if that makes a difference or not. Possibly not! Just that flora was notably absent to me, and I'm not yet sure if that was deliberate or not.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What if the foliage itself is static but they use vertex colouring to give the appearance of it bending and reacting like so many games do this gen, including UC4? You think that could work with this?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things people need to keep in mind while looking at UC4 before going "look at those rocks they look so poor" is that UC is a stylised game, those rocks are not exactly meant to be photo realistic. We have had games this gen with a relatively more photorealistic approach to art than Uncharted that have better looking rocks like say Battlefront. Even Shadow of Tomb Raider has more photorealistic looking rocks because the game is not going for a stylised hyper real look like UC games do.

Can we talk about how the Uncharted character models look better lol
I doubt they spent much time and effort on conceptualising, designing and fine tuning the character in UE5 demo. Something they no doubt would do for the main characters in a proper game. The girl in demo is a no name character meant to just guide you through the demo. In terms of detail we were already at quite high quality with character models this gen, and there are no new techniques being used in creating her really.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
That's disappointing. UE5 isn't quite as groundbreaking as I imagined. When they talked about importing zbrush models I didn't realize they meant static objects.

It's ok i think they're just going to have to mix static elements (lots of things don't need to move i mean) and lots of dynamic models with other tech (like the character here) so it'll be about having everything static look super detailed and having just the right amount of dynamic animated models (still high quality) to give the feeling the world is alive.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
43721524615_e9bb64e4f7_h.jpg

43721843375_219e66e489_h.jpg

Sottr is still a good looking game. Got tired of the gameplay after a while though, maybe i should give it another shot

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Dreams is an effective immitation, but there's no fine detail to stuff the same way you get in UE5 once you get up close. It's all flecks.

Very true. It's why I think it's a taste and also why UE5 won't be the only effective solution.
I'm interested to see how Dreams runs on next gen hardware and how the extra power will help close up details. I'm also interested in seeing how UE5 runs on older hardware too.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The things ND will be able to do with this hardware... I seriously can't even imagine it. Give me a Sci-Fi/Bladerunner-esque World, ND!!

The next God of War will melt eye-balls as well.
Yeah, it's going to be crazy, I can't wait to see what they can do when they get their hands on the PS5. Guerrila (and Insomniac) too, their tech prowess is nuts as well.
And we still haven't seen TLOU2 directly on our TVs yet to fully see all the final juice they've managed to squeeze out of the PS4 at the end.

Last edited:

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
This was all done quickly via google image search, I'm sure someone could find better Uncharted 4 examples. UE5 pictures were taken from 4K Vimeo feed [but still are in JPEG].

It's important to note that realities of both projects are different. Development priority for a tech demo is to look as best as possible at all times, while full games have to provide dozens of hours of content.

u401ytk7u.jpg

ue5012bka8.jpg

u402jrkqu.jpg

ue502n9k2g.jpg

u403uckdr.jpg

ue50317kxb.jpg

u404dbj2w.jpg

ue504gkjgq.jpg

u405avjcd.jpg

ue505yujuh.jpg

u406wrkmj.jpg

ue506kdj10.jpg

u407fsk0s.jpg

ue50744jo4.jpg

It will be very interesting to compare big AAA nextgen-only games with big 8th gen hits. This is only the beginning, many studios will have their own solutions for taking advantage of nextgen hardware.

Edit.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think people are misinterpreting the UE5 demo a lil. The first half is supposed to elicit the thought of "oh so this is what you can do if you wanted to make an Uncharted 4/Tomb Raider cinematic adventure game on next-gen... yah, it looks a bit better, cool." but the ending throws the curve ball and shows that, wait no, this was a demo to a theoretical open world game with high flying sonic movement that also happened to have very densely detailed environments. THAT is that next-gen reveal of the demo, not the textures vs textures comparison.