• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game do you prefer?

• A Thief’s End

Votes: 389 52.9%
  • The Lost Legacy

Votes: 346 47.1%

• Total voters

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was being facetious friend, it's all in the OP. I like both these games and just want to shoot the shit with people and go to the mat for them.
I read the OP, certainly. I'm just hazarding a guess that they were taking more issue with the obvious hostility bait and the instigation than they were with whatever opinion you may hold personally.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
I like Lost Legacy more because Chloe has always been my favorite Uncharted character and I loved playing as her and I liked Nadine in U4. It was also cute seeing their dynamic develop and seeing them go from barely tolerating each other to friends. Also I ship them.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP, certainly. I'm just hazarding a guess that they were taking more issue with the obvious clickbait and its instigation than they were with whatever opinion you may hold personally.

I will take that poster's hard-line stance on mildly provocative thread titles about video game preference into serious consideration next time.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing good about U4 was its multiplayer.
It took me 4 years to finally pick the game back up and finally earn the platinum.
Yeah it was great in the technical department, sure the ending cant get better but the gameplay was the most boring of the series.
U2 is the best followed by LL.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I really love both. I do prefer 4 by a good margin. There are numerous reasons. I think the two big ones for me are that, one, the arena designs in 4 are way better than LL's. It's the way 4's use verticality and all the various elements (climbing, rope swings, water, slides, etc.) to create these really intricate layouts. I think the only one that uses all those elements to create something on the same level as the best ones from 4 is the one at the end with the helicopter roving over top (which adds another element, but I think hurts replayability of it a bit for me). I do wish there were more encounters in 4. It especially needed some small linear ones between the big arena ones. But LL doesn't have that many encounters either (even comparatively to each of their lengths, they're both low compared to earlier games), but of the ones they both have, 4 has the huge edge for me (in terms of setpiece ones they are pretty even I think).

The other big thing for me is one that maybe just happened to me. Knowing this was likely the end of the line for Nate and Elena and maybe even Sully in these games, made all their scenes hit like a ton of bricks for me. I really love the Nate and Elena relationship, so all their scenes together on the island hit me in a way that nothing really could in LL.

There are more things I prefer about 4 (the narrative, the villains, all the little notes and things that you find that add depth to the pirate story, the grander globe-trotting nature of it, etc.). And certainly things I like better in LL too. I like the way they had that side quest of sorts in the open section. I think it has maybe the best puzzle in the series. I think the final setpiece while not as impactful as some of its predecessors since it borrows and combines so many of them, looked at in a vacuum is probably the best in the series.

I hate having to sort of pick apart a game I really like to prop up another one. They're both great. I prefer 4 for a number of reasons though.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The crux of the issue is that for you "engaging" and "downtime" are mutually exclusive. While there's definitely bloat that you're describing, and it's never a sustained rollercoaster the way Among Thieves is, each section definitely has a rise in tension and escalation of combat of environmental obstacles, as well as an emotional arc. It's more of a "chunked" up game (which makes sense given the length) where each major area has a build and crescendo. There are more stretches of silence and banter than Lost Legacy because of the expanded scope, but there are more moments that illuminate Sam and Nate's character than just that island section. And I think the writing for the more illuminating character moments is stronger than The Lost Legacy, which I found to be a bit on the nose with regards to its periodic character info dumps.

"Engaging" and "downtime" aren't mutually exclusive to me. Village chapter in 2 is engaging because it's special first and foremost—walking around a small residential area is not common and repeated throughout the game. From a mechanical standpoint, it's filled with new, personal interactions (greeting people, kicking the football/playing hide-and-seek with kids, petting a cow) which contrast with all the bombast and violence preceding it. From a story perspective, the player is put right in the protagonist's shoes and are naturally drawn to explore to figure out where they are and/or how they got there.

It's why I always try define 4's downtime as being "forced," "scripted," and/or "frequent," to delineate it from, say, slower moments in Resident Evil 4 where the player has options on whether they move, gather items/intel, upgrade weapons, and so forth. Even stuff like finding the mass grave in Uncharted 2's Borneo chapter involves a novel "use blue flame to follow blood trail" mechanic to help make it standout—even when downtime isn't left up to the player, it can still have something novel or clever to keep it from feeling like "push forward until cutscene."

4's frequent downtime is often lengthy climbing up a cliff face with nothing distinct about it relative to all the other similar minutes-long segments. Or it has the player looking through drawers for some bolt cutters, and you know they're always in the last drawer, or Nate cuts the player off during a puzzle because the scripted sequence wants you to go look at paintings, even if you already know the solution. If the climbing was going to be risk-free, it could've at least allowed the player agency to choose where to climb or have different branching paths to the next area. If the player's forced to wait for an NPC to find a bauble that leads into a cutscene, give them useful items to find in the meantime—anything to keep it from feeling like going through motions that amount to QTEs (minus timing/tension).

And I don't doubt there are some more bits of illuminating dialogue between Nate and Sam outside of when they first reunite, the boating segment, and their sit down in Libertalia, but it's diluted among fluff of restrictive downtime and traversal. What character moments are there doesn't justify or enhance all that empty, numbing pap at all.

I purposefully don't frame the issues with UC4 as merely being "it's too slow" or "there's not enough action," because the slower, more grounded segments could've been better had they not also been restrictive, or if they all offered more to the player than nice scenery.

There's plenty of action in 4. I even consider many of its battle arenas to be way better than what's in Lost Legacy (chapter 14's, the one from the early gameplay demo shown years before release, is exquisite) but the balance between it and the downtime is off, and that downtime takes away much of the agency the player is afforded in the combat arenas and setpieces. I can choose to sneak around enemies until they spot me, clamber up a tower to start sniping, leap out as they toss grenades and swing around to drop on the last enemy, which can be completely different from what another player did, or different from another segment later in the game. But then ... I have to push a crate over to another wall, or I have to climb up this single path on a cliff face with nary an opportunity to mess up in any way. The latter sequences give me near-zero agency, but it's about as common as the former, more engaging one, even though they didn't have to be so dull.

Again, I avoid dumbing down an experience with a game to "is it full of action or not" because a game chock full of frequent action could also be dull if it doesn't mix things up or give the player a lot of choice, or at least meaningful choice. If a sequence in a game feels meaningful, it can be complicated, simple, action-packed, slow, grand, or intimate. However, 4's downtime often feels meaningless, as of it's some formality, or vestigial element from a previous build that couldn't be outright removed.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
that's not really the extent of the thematic parallels though. Yeah, that's a major one, but at various points it also reflects other themes, like issues of trust (just like Sam didn't trust Nate enough to tell the truth, and Nate didn't trust Elena enough to tell her the truth) and proving oneself worthy which relates to both the Drakes and is the main driving motivation of Rafe. It's not incredibly subtle, but it doesn't need to be. It tells an involving background narrative that is tied to the main narrative, each making the other more compelling.

You're right, there are plenty of other things the game is equally heavy-handed with. There's a distinction between being unsubtle and bludgeoning you over the head with corresponding character traits or events.

Having multiple thematic parallels also doesn't automatically result in a compelling narrative, especially if the subject matter is subjectively uninteresting after a point.

When you compound these with a plot device dressed in an utterly unlikeable main character and a script that reaches for the lowest hanging fruit at nearly every opportunity, I'm left with an enjoyable romp that falls flat on repeat viewing.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
"Engaging" and "downtime" aren't mutually exclusive to me. Village chapter in 2 is engaging because it's special first and foremost—walking around a small residential area is not common and repeated throughout the game. From a mechanical standpoint, it's filled with new, personal interactions (greeting people, kicking the football/playing hide-and-seek with kids, petting a cow) which contrast with all the bombast and violence preceding it. From a story perspective, the player is put right in the protagonist's shoes and are naturally drawn to explore to figure out where they are and/or how they got there.

It's why I always try define 4's downtime as being "forced," "scripted," and/or "frequent," to delineate it from, say, slower moments in Resident Evil 4 where the player has options on whether they move, gather items/intel, upgrade weapons, and so forth. Even stuff like finding the mass grave in Uncharted 2's Borneo chapter involves a novel "use blue flame to follow blood trail" mechanic to help make it standout—even when downtime isn't left up to the player, it can still have something novel or clever to keep it from feeling like "push forward until cutscene."

4's frequent downtime is often lengthy climbing up a cliff face with nothing distinct about it relative to all the other similar minutes-long segments. Or it has the player looking through drawers for some bolt cutters, and you know they're always in the last drawer, or Nate cuts the player off during a puzzle because the scripted sequence wants you to go look at paintings, even if you already know the solution. If the climbing was going to be risk-free, it could've at least allowed the player agency to choose where to climb or have different branching paths to the next area. If the player's forced to wait for an NPC to find a bauble that leads into a cutscene, give them useful items to find in the meantime—anything to keep it from feeling like going through motions that amount to QTEs (minus timing/tension).

And I don't doubt there are some more bits of illuminating dialogue between Nate and Sam outside of when they first reunite, the boating segment, and their sit down in Libertalia, but it's diluted among fluff of restrictive downtime and traversal. What character moments are there doesn't justify or enhance all that empty, numbing pap at all.

I purposefully don't frame the issues with UC4 as merely being "it's too slow" or "there's not enough action," because the slower, more grounded segments could've been better had they not also been restrictive, or if they all offered more to the player than nice scenery.

There's plenty of action in 4. I even consider many of its battle arenas to be way better than what's in Lost Legacy (chapter 14's, the one from the early gameplay demo shown years before release, is exquisite) but the balance between it and the downtime is off, and that downtime takes away much of the agency the player is afforded in the combat arenas and setpieces. I can choose to sneak around enemies until they spot me, clamber up a tower to start sniping, leap out as they toss grenades and swing around to drop on the last enemy, which can be completely different from what another player did, or different from another segment later in the game. But then ... I have to push a crate over to another wall, or I have to climb up this single path on a cliff face with nary an opportunity to mess up in any way. The latter sequences give me near-zero agency, but it's about as common as the former, more engaging one, even though they didn't have to be so dull.

Again, I avoid dumbing down an experience with a game to "is it full of action or not" because a game chock full of frequent action could also be dull if it doesn't mix things up or give the player a lot of choice, or at least meaningful choice. If a sequence in a game feels meaningful, it can be complicated, simple, action-packed, slow, grand, or intimate. However, 4's downtime often feels meaningless, as of it's some formality, or vestigial element from a previous build that couldn't be outright removed.
Fair enough. Uncharted 2 certainly has the superior pacing, but the slower exploratory moments often felt distinct enough for them not to grate on me in 4 (the worst examples being much of the platforming you have to do in the Italy section, which doesn't feel chunked off or unique enough to warrant so much, and the platforming after the chapter 12 island section because chapter 12 was already all climbing). But I think *most* of the extended exploration/platforming in the game introduces enough new stuff to merit it. The first half of Scotland has the increasingly hazardous slides, the second half has the platforming centered around the pirate trials and hazards (so you get more exciting stuff like the see-saw and some sections that are not immediately obvious where you progress). Madagascar has the jeep exploration with the winch stuff and poking around larger and larger ruins, and then the unique clock tower stuff. Chapter 12 has all the islands and pirate stuff to explore, and Libertalia has, well, Libertalia.And all along the way in these down time portions there are journal entries, optional conversations, little interactive things, and simple branching paths and environmental puzzles that at least make the climbing a little more engaging (and tactically satisfying) than it had been in past games. I do think the game would have been better had it been more judicious with how it balanced combat and exploration (probably a side effect of the troubled development), and Lost Legacy is certainly better in that regard, but it was never enough of an issue for me to dilute all the exceptional things the game does.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, there are plenty of other things the game is equally heavy-handed with. There's a distinction between being unsubtle and bludgeoning you over the head with corresponding character traits or events.

Having multiple thematic parallels also doesn't automatically result in a compelling narrative, especially if the subject matter is subjectively uninteresting after a point.

When you compound these with a plot device dressed in an utterly unlikeable main character and a script that reaches for the lowest hanging fruit at nearly every opportunity, I'm left with an enjoyable romp that falls flat on repeat viewing.
If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you, I personally found it to be a more effective way to link a more complex and involved treasure plot with the main arc of the game without just feeling like constant exposition dumps, and was by far the best the pseudo-historical side of things has been with Uncharted. Did the writing in Lost Legacy bother you at all? The historical aspect doesn't have as strong (or obtrusive, in your eyes) of a thematic link to the main plot, but I found the dialogue as Chloe and Nadine explain their issues with their fathers to be more heavy handed than anything in

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I just finished Lost Legacy, after about over a year of just dreading Chapter 4 I pushed through and actually quite enjoyed it overall.

However....4 is still better for 2 reasons.

The sense of adventure, and story.

I actually grew fond of Nadine and Chloe at the end and would love to play a full fledged Uncharted with them as the main characters. However the story in Lost Legacy just can't compare to the main storyline of Avery, and all of the branching smaller stories that Naughty Dog just fucking nailed in part 4.

Asav is your run of the mill villain, Rafe was a much better enemy to go up against throughout the whole story. I liked Chloe's little storyline about her father and it was touching as well as Nadine trying to get out from Shoreline, but it just doesn't compare to the scale of 4.

Then you just have the overall sense of adventure, don't get me wrong the search for the Tusk was cool as well as some of the areas you played in.....

However in 4 we are dealing with fucking pirates and their story of prosperity and eventually war amongst them and so much in between that LL just can't compete on that level.

However LL is a much tighter playing game, I loathed many of the gunfights in 4, whereas I loved them in LL. That's really where LL gets the clear edge. I get the pacing may be better as well but that's mainly because of the story it's so much smaller in scope that making it as long as 4 would have ruined it. It was the perfect length for what they were trying to tell. I don't think they could have made 4 the same way without sacrificing the story.

So with all of that said.

4....2....LL....1....3

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that unfortunately the 2nd young Drake flashback in 4 is easily the worst thing Naughty Dog has ever written. Emotionally cloying, sledge-hammer on the nose, and retroactively makes the Nathan Drake's past a lot less interesting. Yuck. Fortunately it's sandwhiched in between the tower destruction/Nadine round 2 setpiece, and Jeep driving through the rapids with Elena, both of which kick tremendous amounts of ass and help mitigate the awfulness of that chapter.

DLH

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the brilliance of Uncharted is the way it merges different types of gameplay in a way that appeals to different types of gamers. Uncharted 2 was balanced and paced in a way that satisfied gamers of all stripes in equal measure. Some players found the shootouts to be the most fun part of it, and in UC2, they didn't have to endure too many "boring" climbing parts in between the "fun" parts. For me, I enjoy the climbing and platforming the most, and in UC2, I didn't have to endure too many "boring" shootouts in between the "fun" climbing segments.

Because of my personal preferences, UC4 is my favorite game of the series, not because it is as perfectly balanced as UC2, but because it is imbalanced in favor of the parts that I find the most fun. UC1 and 3 are my least favorites, because they are imbalanced in the other direction, and I get bored by all the waves of enemies that get dumped on top of me at every turn.

That being said, I love TLL almost as much as I love UC4.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that unfortunately the 2nd young Drake flashback in 4 is easily the worst thing Naughty Dog has ever written. Emotionally cloying, sledge-hammer on the nose, and retroactively makes the Nathan Drake's past a lot less interesting. Yuck. Fortunately it's sandwhiched in between the tower destruction/Nadine round 2 setpiece, and Jeep driving through the rapids with Elena, both of which kick tremendous amounts of ass and help mitigate the awfulness of that chapter.
the second flashback is def. the weakest part of the game. love the look of that chapter though.

also driving with Elena while "For Better or Worse" plays still gives me chills

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
also driving with Elena while "For Better or Worse" plays still gives me chills

yeah, it's a beautiful moment. Everything from Elena on is perfectly paced too imo. The final string out encounters/setpieces in the ship graveyard is such a good action climax before the more personal finale.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
This thread reminds me, I've *really* got to focus on playing this series. Love Indiana Jones, love Tomb Raider, love historical adventures. Years ago when UC1 first came out I enjoyed it well enough I guess (I remember something about a sub that was neat) but the endless shooting set pieces left me cold and I never finished it. I can't remember if I couldn't beat the shooting parts (I remember ammo being scarce, so maybe) or if I just got bored. I'm assuming it bets better? I do want to start with UC1, though, to get the full impact of the series.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Alright just finished my replay and the game continues to remain amazing, and still maybe the most stunning looking game on the PS4 four years later, particularly each new vista once you reach Libertalia. I forgot how insane the amount of animations the Rafe sword fight has, really impressive stuff and the first good final boss in the series (Lost Legacy's is similarly awesome).

Gonna replay Lost Legacy now to see how it compares right after.

This thread reminds me, I've *really* got to focus on playing this series. Love Indiana Jones, love Tomb Raider, love historical adventures. Years ago when UC1 first came out I enjoyed it well enough I guess (I remember something about a sub that was neat) but the endless shooting set pieces left me cold and I never finished it. I can't remember if I couldn't beat the shooting parts (I remember ammo being scarce, so maybe) or if I just got bored. I'm assuming it bets better? I do want to start with UC1, though, to get the full impact of the series.
Each successive entry dials back the shooting sections relative to the adventure sections, as well as (generally) massively improves both the combat and exploration stuff compared to the first game, which is charming but very rough in comparison to the rest of the series. I would recommend playing every game though if you want to get to 4, which pays off on all the games. Just know it gets a lot better after the first game.

Oct 29, 2017

You are in for a treat my friend. With all the debate here I don't think anybody could seriously consider either a below average game. They are all really good. UC1 aged the worst of the bunch so if you enjoyed it then you are going to like the rest.

It's lighter on mechanics and systems than the rebooted Tomb Raiders, they are all very linear story-driven games.

Grab them all and enjoy the show. I've played through all of them in the past weeks and it was a really good experience, even though I played them previously.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
This, as all questions of its ilk, will be down to personal taste, but...

I thought Lost Legacy was truer to the fun, tight, funny adventures I'd come to associate with Uncharted. U4 was great and a fitting wrap up to Nathan Drake's story, but it did feel like it fell prey to the need to make everything "bigger". I know they wanted to make an epic ending, but I thought they could have edited it down a wee bit. Also, this is just me, but I could have done without
the emphasis on domestic bliss and parenthood ending
, personally...

I don't hate a single Uncharted game and it's one of my favorite franchises ever, but I just found Lost Legacy more the length, humor, and charm that I'm looking for.

Any chance we get another one?

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Each successive entry dials back the shooting sections relative to the adventure sections, as well as (generally) massively improves both the combat and exploration stuff compared to the first game, which is charming but very rough in comparison to the rest of the series. I would recommend playing every game though if you want to get to 4, which pays off on all the games. Just know it gets a lot better after the first game.
You are in for a treat my friend. With all the debate here I don't think anybody could seriously consider either a below average game. They are all really good. UC1 aged the worst of the bunch so if you enjoyed it then you are going to like the rest.

It's lighter on mechanics and systems than the rebooted Tomb Raiders, they are all very linear story-driven games.

Grab them all and enjoy the show. I've played through all of them in the past weeks and it was a really good experience, even though I played them previously.
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll start fresh on UC1 soon and just grin and bear the shooty parts in UC1. As for UC vs. TR, yeah, always had the impression that UC was more like the pre-reboot TR which, while I like the new TR, I'm all-in for. Really in the mood for a good globe-trotting adventure (something the TR reboots don't do that well as 1 was on a tropical island, 2 was Syria/Russia, 3 was Latin America, I miss TR Legend and taking us to England, Japan, etc.).

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll start fresh on UC1 soon and just grin and bear the shooty parts in UC1. As for UC vs. TR, yeah, always had the impression that UC was more like the pre-reboot TR which, while I like the new TR, I'm all-in for. Really in the mood for a good globe-trotting adventure (something the TR reboots don't do that well as 1 was on a tropical island, 2 was Syria/Russia, 3 was Latin America, I miss TR Legend and taking us to England, Japan, etc.).
2,3, and 4 are big globetrotting adventures, 1 and Lost Legacy are mainly set around one major area.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 is a long ways from being the best Uncharted, but LL was a total snooze fest. Hated that open world section.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 > 1=3=4=LL=GA

2 was just perfect and towers over the rest, which are all pretty similar for me.

The gunplay in 3 really sucked though because of the headshot nerf for the shotgun enemies.

Wish we would have gotten another Vita one, instead Shu insisted on shoehorning Bend into a "AAA" studio. Remember reading they were happy about their smaller size.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
I played UC4 five years ago. I do plan on replaying on PS5 but I couldn't help but feel annoyed that the "treasure" was always at the next destination. I don't really remember having that issue with the past games.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 put Naughty Dog in my top three favorite game studios of all time, permanently. I've spoken on its greatness since completing it back in 2016. And I don't care who this offends, but every pub/studio that are financially able to, If your not trying to make a single player game on the level of Uncharted 4 then you're doing nothing but making it easy for your game to be skipped without hesitation.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've been keeping away from TLoU Pt.II threads for fear of spoilers,but reading this one has got me even more hyped for that game as I remember back to what they achieved with Uncharted 4.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been keeping away from TLoU Pt.II threads for fear of spoilers,but reading this one has got me even more hyped for that game as I remember back to what they achieved with Uncharted 4.

Visually speak fuck yeah, this past week was my first time playing it in 4K w/HDR and for a 4 year old game it floored me visually.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I replayed with a new tv, and even though I don't have a pro to do 4K the HDR is a *massive* improvement on the visuals, I was really surprised.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If Uncharted 4 wasn't a culmination of the entire series, it would have been Lost Legacy.

Lost Legacy is the perfect pacing for this series, I really loved it and it didn't overstay its welcome.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
All the hate for 4 is fairly surface level stuff. Yes the pacing is a little off, too much climbing and there's still too many goons coming from who-knows-where!? And towards the end it felt like the game should have ended at a bunch of different points but they had built too many levels so had to fill them with more encounters. It's like the band that won't stop doing encores because they left a bunch of hits out of their main set.

But it's the first Uncharted game with an actual story that is also really good. I like the earlier games but some of 4's flaws are more pronounced and the stories were only an excuse to keep progressing through all the set piece levels, rather than the absolutely integral story of 4.

Lost Legacy was a distilled version of 4 but the story didn't quite live up to 4's standards.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 4 put Naughty Dog in my top three favorite game studios of all time, permanently. I've spoken on its greatness since completing it back in 2016. And I don't care who this offends, but every pub/studio that are financially able to, If your not trying to make a single player game on the level of Uncharted 4 then you're doing nothing but making it easy for your game to be skipped without hesitation.
If all single player games were the same "quality" as Uncharted 4 I'd give up gaming.

There's no there there. Just some wannabe filmmakers who don't understand the medium they're working in and consequently made a dull slog.

DemiOrpheus

Banned
May 9, 2020
lost legacy is my second favorite in the series right behind 2, I hope the inevitable sequel focuses on Chloe/Nadine/Sam and not Drake's daughter

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm disappointed that LL isn't in the lead in the poll, I do get the idea that a whole lot of people liked it even more than 4. I hope that's a widespread sentiment and that ND has taken note.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Nah, not for me. Uncharted 4 is pretty great overall, sure, but it's brought down by Sam and significant pacing issues besides. The best parts of Uncharted 4 are the parts Sam isn't involved in, which is a bummer because he's in most of it. The Lost Legacy, while it does feel like a spin-off (because it is) and thus less consequential in terms of the series' overall story, is wonderfully paced and engaging throughout... and it's not as though there were consequences for any major character by the end of Uncharted 4 anyway, despite being the last chapter of Nate's story (as far as we know at the moment).

For me it's Uncharted 2 > TLL > 4 > 1 > 3. Never finished Golden Abyss.

Jul 24, 2018
To add to my previous comment, I liked how the non linearity of Lost Legacy felt like a callback to the Jak games it was the first Uncharted game that felt like a proper adventure where exploring is now fun, and the puzzles aren't insultingly easy. I hope they do more games like it.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm disappointed that LL isn't in the lead in the poll, I do get the idea that a whole lot of people liked it even more than 4. I hope that's a widespread sentiment and that ND has taken note.
I think they're definitely aware of what people liked about it and didn't about 4 (which is why it is the way it is in the first place probably, due to feedback from 4) but I don't think it's gonna impact ND since I doubt they'll be the ones to make the next Uncharted game.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I can't say because after finishing 4, I was convinced of something which was already clear after 3 : I was done with the IP and this kind of gameplay.
They displayed 2 things prior to release : Madagascar set piece, and the jungle fight. Those two things are definitively the best thing of the game and nothing like the rest of it.

I also hate the brother pop up out of nowhere.
I liked the villain.

But seeing people said they didn't liked 3 and 4 and then that LL is the true successor of 2 can convince me. How much climbing in LL?

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
If Uncharted 4 wasn't a culmination of the entire series, it would have been Lost Legacy.

Lost Legacy is the perfect pacing for this series, I really loved it and it didn't overstay its welcome.

Lost Legacy is the true sequel to UC2. Having done another run-through of the series recently, I've realized my ideal Uncharted is 10-12 hours or less and while there needs to be time to breathe obviously just get me to the setpieces with appropriate amounts of downtime. That's what we're here for after all.

But seeing people said they didn't liked 3 and 4 and then that LL is the true successor of 2 can convince me. How much climbing in LL?

There's climbing obviously but not huge chunks of it like 4 has. The emphasis is definitely the setpieces, and the final one is godtier.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
[...] I've realized my ideal Uncharted is 10-12 hours or less and while there needs to be time to breathe obviously just get me to the setpieces with appropriate amounts of downtime. That's what we're here for after all.
nailed it. I agree 100%. The only reason I was okay with UC4 being so long was because I had a lot of experiences tied up in the entire franchise and I wanted them all to be addressed properly and with care. They did a pretty good job with that. But if they made another one, 10-12 is the perfect spot.

Oct 29, 2017
nailed it. I agree 100%. The only reason I was okay with UC4 being so long was because I had a lot of experiences tied up in the entire franchise and I wanted them all to be addressed properly and with care. They did a pretty good job with that. But if they made another one, 10-12 is the perfect spot.

Exactly! I think people tend to miss the point of UC4 being the end of a long story. I loved the slower parts. Sitting down with Sam. These things fit into that particular game. Also there is Neil as the man in charge and he's just better at this stuff.

If we see a return of UC with a new character I'm totally onboard with something like UC2/3/second half of LL.

But UC4 was right to be the way it is.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly! I think people tend to miss the point of UC4 being the end of a long story. I loved the slower parts. Sitting down with Sam. These things fit into that particular game. Also there is Neil as the man in charge and he's just better at this stuff.

If we see a return of UC with a new character I'm totally onboard with something like UC2/3/second half of LL.

But UC4 was right to be the way it is.
Being the end of a long story doesn't justify the endless climbing sections. That's what killed the pacing for me, the story was fine.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I love them both, but yeah, Uncharted 4 wins out for me as well and is one of my favorite games this generation.

If I'm doing a ranking.
U4> U2 > TLL > U3 >U1

Never played Golden Abyss, because of no PS4 remaster :(

The combat in U4 is amazing and hte best in the series. Credit to TLL, it's as good as U4's. Honestly the pacing never bothered me in U4 and I think what U4 nailed better than TLL is combat encounters. How enemies are placed and hte tools teh game gives you for combat are great, and a huge improvement from anything the series gave you in the past. A lot of games talk about how they give you a voiceless character or a huge open world with little narrative so you can make your own story. U4 has a similar idea where hte tools they give you, you can make your own set pieces during combat encounters. But again, that's something TLL has as well. What sets U4 and TLL apart is the story, ND just did a masterful job ending Drake's story, and that's just something TLL can't compete with. I like the backstory Drake gets and I think 4's backstory was done better than 3's. It sucks 3's contradicts with some of 4's backstory stuff, but since 4's is better I can look past taht a little. I never really got the hate for Sam, he's pretty similar to Uncharted 1 Nate tbh. Yes, Drake use to be as much of an asshole, but over hte course of the series we've seen Drake grow and mature. And yeah, Rafe is the best antagonist in the series, and while it sucks they had to cut the sword fight in the flashback, I like the swordfight for being somethign different. In the Uncharted games, the final boss/ fight, it's usually an OP as fuck boss who chucks grenades at you, or you fight a wave of enemies, punch the antagonist, fight another wave. IT's the most memorable final boss fight in ther series, granted the train set piece in TLL is better.

TLL did prove that the series can go on without Nate, which I never thought was a huge issue, but apparently a lot of people associate Uncharted with Drake and weren't 100% into the idea of another main character.
Uncharted 4 is a 9.5, close as fuck to a 10 as it could be
TLL is a 8.5 if not a 9.