• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you prefer?

• A Thief’s End

Votes: 389 52.9%
  • The Lost Legacy

Votes: 346 47.1%

• Total voters

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Legacy is better because it doesn't try to make me give a shit about Sam Drake, the worst character in the entire series. I fucking hate that guy.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I like 4, I enjoy the pirate theme more and think there's more memorable and atmospheric moments. Really like the epilogue as well.

Lost Legacy was forgettable for me, the only bit I remember was riding an elephant.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Early chapters I was facepalming most of the time and outspokenly, literally, like "MOVE ON ALREADY!" or "FOR GOD'S SAKE GET IT OVER WITH!" to the game because how much of a slog it was...

The Lost Legacy was straight to the point compared to 4 and I appreciate that.

I don't know & hoping Part II won't be like 4... /: (

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
Why do people hate Sam so much? Is it because he lied to Nate? Purely as a personality I really enjoyed him. Classic lovable rogue.

I think the best thing about LL for me is that it proved that Uncharted can move forward without Nathan Drake.

Great universe they've created, a really tidy formula. Just keep them coming, Sony. And next time once you've settled on a new character, don't build in obsolescence by making them fall in love and need to quit the life for the sake of their family.

Dec 9, 2019
I love U4 and felt such a great sense of adventure on my first playthrough.

TLL on the other hand, bored the shit out of me. I found the story not intriguing at all, I didn't like the open world approach, since this is not something I'm looking for in an Uncharted game. But the worst part were the protagonists and their dialogue. I found Chloe and Nadine so goddamn boring. I could predict the next sentence each of them is going to say next, because it was so basic.

So for me, the Uncharted ranking looks like this:

U4>U2>U3>U1>U:GA>U:FfF>U:FH>TLL

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people hate Sam so much? Is it because he lied to Nate? Purely as a personality I really enjoyed him. Classic lovable rogue.

I think the best thing about LL for me is that it proved that Uncharted can move forward without Nathan Drake.

Great universe they've created, a really tidy formula. Just keep them coming, Sony. And next time once you've settled on a new character, don't build in obsolescence by making them fall in love and need to quit the life for the sake of their family.
The hate is probably something to do with the storyline I'd guess. But I think Sam is more interesting character than Nadine. Chloe is awesome though.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Characters need an ending to their story. I love comics but not everything needs to be endless second acts.

You said it yourself - hell let's break away from Nate and spend time with Chloe & Nadine & Sam for another game or two.

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
Characters need an ending to their story. I love comics but not everything needs to be endless second acts.

You said it yourself - hell let's break away from Nate and spend time with Chloe & Nadine & Sam for another game or two.

Bond doesn't need an end, Indiana Jones doesn't need an end.

These are pulpy action games. There's no inherent need for the lead to have a larger arc. It probably made the games more engaging that Drake had that journey, but it didn't need to be there per se.

A Thief's End is the best game of the franchise. It's the most mature Uncharted game but still comes with the series' unique humour.

Lost Legacy is a really good game but has the worst chapter of the entire franchise. That stupid open world chapter was just bad for the storytelling. In Uncharted 4, the open world chapter was much better designed.

In ny opinion:
U4, U2, U:TLL, U1, U3

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Love both but prefer 4 due to the cast. Nate, Sully and Elena are the core of Uncharted, and for good reason. Liked Sam as well. Lost Legacy is also great, but the Nadine & Chloe combo while good, is not as good.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
A Thief's End - 9.5/10
The Lost Legacy - 8/10

Uncharted 4 is the better game (imo) because it's the grander globe-trotting adventure, it's got the charismatic core cast (Nate, Sully, Elena) bantering and bouncing off of each other, and the main villain is a smug, hiss-worthy slimeball (i.e., he's a great villain). Plus the entirety of Madagascar is utterly glorious. Pacing issues which stem from overly-long climbing sections aside, it's the absolute pinnacle of the Uncharted series.

The Lost Legacy is a good game in its own right, but its set-pieces essentially crib from the most extravagant moments of 2 and 4, and its attempt to make Nadine Ross a three-dimensional character is unconvincing because she is such a terminal bore and unlikable sourpuss. I like Chloe and a lot of the Indian mythology in TLL is interesting to learn about, but it's a pretty diluted experience compared to 4, and the B-tier cast doesn't help matters.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Played them right after each other. And UC4 was for me the better game. Nothing bad about Lost Legacy but you notice on alot of things a smaller project. Wich is logical.
In the end i missed more locations in Lost Legacy. And i just played UC4 so that difference was pretty big.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
A Thief's End - 9.5/10
The Lost Legacy - 8/10

Uncharted 4 is the better game (imo) because it's the grander globe-trotting adventure, it's got the charismatic core cast (Nate, Sully, Elena) bantering and bouncing off of each other, and the main villain is a smug, hiss-worthy slimeball (i.e., he's a great villain). Plus the entirety of Madagascar is utterly glorious. Pacing issues which stem from overly-long climbing sections aside, it's the absolute pinnacle of the Uncharted series.

The Lost Legacy is a good game in its own right, but its set-pieces essentially crib from the most extravagant moments of 2 and 4, and its attempt to make Nadine Ross a three-dimensional character is unconvincing because she is such a terminal bore and unlikable sourpuss. I like Chloe and a lot of the Indian mythology in TLL is interesting to learn about, but it's a pretty diluted experience compared to 4, and the B-tier cast doesn't help matters.
This is pretty much my opinion as well.

Oct 27, 2017
What's really going to bake your noodle is if you go back and look at the 2nd page spread of the Uncharted 2 Drake's journal, you'll find a section where Drake kept a book of pressed flowers. Each flower has annotated with it a location and the name of a companion he was with at the time.

One of the flowers has "Chloe" and "Tulsa Oklahoma". In The Lost Legacy Chloe clearly states she has never been to the US. Could be someone different I suppose, maybe he just likes Chloes?

Another flower has "Cassandra S." - dating someone with your mother's name, I dunno.

This paints both PS4 games in a different light and now I don't know which one is my favorite.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, but LL is a perfectly structured side-story that doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Jan 11, 2018
It's bigger, but it aint better. Uncharted 4 seemed to forget what made Uncharted fun. Neil and Bruce were clearly done with the series at that point, and it really shows. The Lost Legacy was a return to form. Even if most the set pieces were kind of recycled from previous games, the spirit of Uncharted shone bright.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also Lost Legacy has a better story. There's less contrivances and Chloe+Nadine are more interesting characters than Nathan Drake and Not Nathan Drake played by Troy Baker.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
4 is boring, Uncharted is a Indiana Jones clone not some brooding family drama. 4 was mostly boring, Lost Legacy was a basic adventure but vastly more entertaining.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
A Thief's End - 9.5/10
The Lost Legacy - 8/10

This downplays and minimalises how detrimental the frequent bloat is to Uncharted 4.

Every engaging bit of that game is muffled by being sandwiched between forced downtime. There's never a point the game gets into a groove for 10 chapters straight like Uncharted 2 does, and none of it can be zipped through—you have to slowly search all these empty cabinets to trigger a cutscene or you have to fail at a puzzle to activate the "inspect painting" prompt. It's all just going through the motions, and it's all as frequent as the more engaging parts of the game.

The village walk in Uncharted 2 is amazing because it's a quaint breather after 10 solid chapters of some of the best moment-to-moment pacing and varied encounters in the AAA space—that sequence and the ice caves don't disrupt the flow because they're downtime as part of the whole game's arc, not part of some endless cycle of "action, equally long forced downtime, repeat" where it becomes expected and rote. If anyone needed as much downtime during the game as what's in UC4, they could just put the controller down.

The aesthetics of 4's environments, its cast, and it's story don't lessen the damage the bloat does to the experience. And that's not because those aspects of a game are inherently separate from gameplay—it's because the cast/story/environments don't make the overly long and stakes-free traversal segments any more worthwhile.

In 4, regardless of the locale, there are still the same sliding slopes, the same lengthy, linear climbing paths, and the same crates to push that aren't used in more varied or increasingly challenging ways throughout. The globe-trotting nature of the campaign doesn't tangibly shake up the boredom of the forced downtime.

Outside of the post-Madagascar setpiece island hopping, the dialogue between Sam and Nate is always the same quip-filled back-and-forth with no real insight into their lives or relationship—nothing worthwhile in the dialogue to fill the empty, yet unavoidable space of those huge climbing segments.

Same goes for the cast outside of the aforementioned island hopping segment (where Nate's upset over Elena finding them out, even though there's still a lot of nothing going on during that part) and the chapter with Elena—no matter how good the story was at points or how satisfying the prologue was, it doesn't make up for how frequently actually playing the game can be such a drag.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're both great but I think I still prefer UC4.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I'm playing now and got past chapter 4 after about a year of just being bored with it. Things have definitely picked up and I'm enjoying it more, it definitely has better gunplay that part 4. However I still can give 2 shits about Nadine.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This downplays and minimalises how detrimental the frequent bloat is to Uncharted 4.

Every engaging bit of that game is muffled by being sandwiched between forced downtime. There's never a point the game gets into a groove for 10 chapters straight like Uncharted 2 does, and none of it can be zipped through—you have to slowly search all these empty cabinets to trigger a cutscene or you have to fail at a puzzle to activate the "inspect painting" prompt. It's all just going through the motions, and it's all as frequent as the more engaging parts of the game.

The village walk in Uncharted 2 is amazing because it's a quaint breather after 10 solid chapters of some of the best moment-to-moment pacing and varied encounters in the AAA space—that sequence and the ice caves don't disrupt the flow because they're downtime as part of the whole game's arc, not part of some endless cycle of "action, equally long forced downtime, repeat" where it becomes expected and rote. If anyone needed as much downtime during the game as what's in UC4, they could just put the controller down.

The aesthetics of 4's environments, its cast, and it's story don't lessen the damage the bloat does to the experience. And that's not because those aspects of a game are inherently separate from gameplay—it's because the cast/story/environments don't make the overly long and stakes-free traversal segments any more worthwhile.

In 4, regardless of the locale, there are still the same sliding slopes, the same lengthy, linear climbing paths, and the same crates to push that aren't used in more varied or increasingly challenging ways throughout. The globe-trotting nature of the campaign doesn't tangibly shake up the boredom of the forced downtime.

Outside of the post-Madagascar setpiece island hopping, the dialogue between Sam and Nate is always the same quip-filled back-and-forth with no real insight into their lives or relationship—nothing worthwhile in the dialogue to fill the empty, yet unavoidable space of those huge climbing segments.

Same goes for the cast outside of the aforementioned island hopping segment (where Nate's upset over Elena finding them out, even though there's still a lot of nothing going on during that part) and the chapter with Elena—no matter how good the story was at points or how satisfying the prologue was, it doesn't make up for how frequently actually playing the game can be such a drag.
Preachhh

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
In fact the whole parallel of Nate and his Brother and Avery and Tew was incredibly heavy handed and repetitive. We get it, obsession can destroy lives and families, this was competently covered in Uncharted 3. Making Sam be the obsessed one just like Nate used to be isn't as engaging as the game thinks it is.

that's not really the extent of the thematic parallels though. Yeah, that's a major one, but at various points it also reflects other themes, like issues of trust (just like Sam didn't trust Nate enough to tell the truth, and Nate didn't trust Elena enough to tell her the truth) and proving oneself worthy which relates to both the Drakes and is the main driving motivation of Rafe. It's not incredibly subtle, but it doesn't need to be. It tells an involving background narrative that is tied to the main narrative, each making the other more compelling.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Needless hostility over a series of posts
Why do you sweaty motherfuckers not know how to say "I like X more" instead of "X is better"?

Yes opinions are inherently subjective and you don't need to qualify every assessment with "imo" but I'm pressed as hell about this epidemic of disingenuous ass titles that come out looking for a fight. Just say you like UC4 more, don't turn it into a contest. God.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Every engaging bit of that game is muffled by being sandwiched between forced downtime.

The crux of the issue is that for you "engaging" and "downtime" are mutually exclusive. While there's definitely bloat that you're describing, and it's never a sustained rollercoaster the way Among Thieves is, each section definitely has a rise in tension and escalation of combat of environmental obstacles, as well as an emotional arc. It's more of a "chunked" up game (which makes sense given the length) where each major area has a build and crescendo. There are more stretches of silence and banter than Lost Legacy because of the expanded scope, but there are more moments that illuminate Sam and Nate's character than just that island section. And I think the writing for the more illuminating character moments is stronger than The Lost Legacy, which I found to be a bit on the nose with regards to its periodic character info dumps.

Oct 27, 2017
Having revisited U2 last night and today, yes the through-line from nepal to train is the height of sustained action for the series. The transitions from scenario to scenario don't require the player to traverse very far.

And the downtime you get at the end in the village also serves as the classic device of walking through a scene one way, only to have to battle your way out the other way. While Uncharted games with their cover usually telegraph this down a corridor or other narrow path, this one is cleverly disguised as a village, plus the eventual combat scenario is not straight through - it is designed to have you zig and zag and move vertically.

The U4/LL combat scenarios are more environment-dependent but freer. You can dial up the stealth or the action to your liking, which is generally great. But sometimes you feel the absence of something more sequentially curated like the U2 tank chase or U3 desert oasis town - there are pieces of it present in U4 and LL but those don't feel the same.

LL's last few chapters begin to feel like it is DLC in scope - it's a shorter through-line but still satisfying, marrying the best of U4's environmental combat and U2's modern-site combat to give an indication of what is possible for future games.

LL's train sequence is something else, though. It is U1's final confrontation, U2's train, U2 and U3 convoy chase, and U4's mid-game chase sequence all packaged into one through-line of its own. I've played it a few dozen times at least, and have done very different things every time. It's about as complete as you can get, and if it ends up being the final word on uncharted, it's a fine way to go out.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you sweaty motherfuckers not know how to say "I like X more" instead of "X is better"?

Yes opinions are inherently subjective and you don't need to qualify every assessment with "imo" but I'm pressed as hell about this epidemic of disingenuous ass titles that come out looking for a fight. Just say you like UC4 more, don't turn it into a contest. God.

But I wanna fight. For example: a lot of posts in this thread are better than yours.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Ultimately 4 is a better game (especially because of its story). But I think Lost Legacy has better play because it seems to take the best parts of all the games that came before it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'd give you that the sheer scope of U4 gives it something over the side story that is LL.
U4 gets to globe hop to a much greater degree which is always one of the more fun aspects of the series, the slow burn does lend itself well to some of the story elements as well while for LL I'm struggling to remember why I was doing anything in the first place.

That's pretty much all I can give it over LL though, the scope is still the games ultimate downfall with a plethora of bloat and utterly tedious cliff gripping action for 70% of the game, it's mindblowing when you finish the game, check the chapters and see just how few combat scenarios you were faced with across those 16 hours of finger grip shimmying.
LL is truly an ultimate example of trimming the fat, the leanest cut of uncharted that expands upon the open area idea to much greater effect (finally, the premier hollywood popcorn flick game series let's you actively be part of the exploring, how'd it take so long?) complete with an actual incentive to do so. The dynamic puzzle difficulty is neat as well and supports the player's choice.
Before it can get long in the tooth, it's back to linear action with a much MUCH greater streamlining of elements that went overused in 4 like sliding and crate pushing, oh and the balance of combat to clinging has a much more favourable ratio.

Yeah it's gonna lack the extra plot hooks and the 4's ability to lean into its past for some enjoyable slow stretches like Nate's House, but it also doesn't have two utterly tedious chapters of playing as a kid crawling across the scenery and nothing more.
No cumbersome sword fight finale and no really REALLY dumb as bricks twist (where the game made you play through a fabricated gun fight no less) that Drake could've used google-fu to realise was nothing but shit (and nah ND, just because you have Drake mentio as suchafter the fact doesn't mean I'm letting that slide, come on)

Lost Legacy might be a bit too greatest hits esque compared to a game presenting itself as the epic finale that goes on twice as long, but as an actual game and respecting my time it's so far ahead of 4 that it's already at the top of the mountain while U4 falls into the umpteenth scripted ledge fallaway.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Admitting you shat your pants on purpose doesn't make it stink less.
I mean, you *could* have just contributed to the thread instead. I would have appreciated your own pants-shitting take on either of the games over you coming in here just to pretend you have any sort of social graces to condescend me with.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also replaying Uncharted 4 for the first time, and I agree with every point you made. The pacing really isn't bothering me as much this time.

That said, I still slightly prefer Lost Legacy. But my top three of UC2>UC:LL>UC4 are all extremely close. I don't even rank UC3 that far behind either. It's a remarkably consistent series, with only the first game being a noticeable step down (though I still love it).

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you *could* have just contributed to the thread instead. I would have appreciated your own pants-shitting take on either of the games over you coming in here just to pretend you have any sort of social graces to condescend me with.

It's not like you put any effort in, why should I? I only came in here to decry your lazy and needlessly provocative title because I'm tired of people like you shitting up the forum. Don't worry, it's my last stop in this thread.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your previous message was admitting that you just wanted a fight. It seems a little odd to take issue with their providing you one simply because they dropped the pretense of civility in calling you out.

It was in keeping with the tone you set, I would say.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like you put any effort in, why should I? I only came in here to decry your lazy and needlessly provocative title because I'm tired of people like you shitting up the forum. Don't worry, it's my last stop in this thread.

Somebody didn't even read the OP. 3 posts in and you didn't even say anything about either game. It's a pity, I bet you had something really interesting to say.

OP
OP
Fancy Clown

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Your previous message was admitting that you just wanted a fight. It seems a little odd to take issue with their providing you one simply because they dropped the pretense of civility in calling you out.

It was in keeping with the tone you set, I would say.
I was being facetious friend, it's all in the OP. I like both these games and just want to shoot the shit with people and go to the mat for them. If someone comes in here to not to "fight" about Uncharted and instead be condescending and pedantic, then I'm gonna get snarky.