• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! I finished The Last of Us 2 last week, and I loved it 10/10 etc. But gosh it's dark. And the world is so dark right now. I needed something happy and funny and freeballin'. So I decided to go back to my NATHAN DRAKE COLLECTION on PS4. I've played Uncharted 2 many times, as you might imagine, because of its goodness. And Uncharted 1...I've played that a few times but frankly who wants to play that in this day and age. As a side note, there's Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which I actually think isn't bad but I am not getting my Vita out of the closet. So that left Uncharted 3. I've only played it once really, back at launch. So I decided this is what I would play again.

For those of you who don't know me, I love Uncharted. I love everything about it. I love how it's like a male power fantasy but it's like simultaneously so goofy and unimposing so you don't have to feel so bad about it. I love all the characters and how beautiful the games look and how they sound. And, mostly, I love how Uncharted 4 has replaced the other games in my memory so they all PLAY really well too! And Uncharted 3 has always sort of been the black sheep. For lots of reasons. Like when it launched, if you remember, the controls were totally busted (wtf was that). And it got a lot of flak for feeling chopped up heavily in editing. And there are some things about it that still are so weird. Like how it can't make up its mind on if it wants to be the Serious Gameplay Uncharted, with set pieces like the ship graveyard, or if it doesn't, with set pieces like the ship ballroom (god that is so bad) and why they removed enemy hit reactions and like way over animated Nate walking. Back in the day I remember the game being good but there's this unshakable feeling it wasn't finished.

I wanted to sail through this play through so I put it on easy...because Uncharted 3 can be seriously frustrating otherwise. But let's talk about this game. Because I decided I love it.

So the beginning is marked by its unpredictable pacing, right? Like it starts with some brawling. BTW, that music. It's just so good in this game. Greg Edmonson we love you. But the Uncharted games to that point had not really been about big brawls. So this one is. And it shows you ND's new animation blending and how fun this can be in a big setting. And who doesn't love Sully and Nate together? No one. That's for sure. And then there's a long section without any combat. You're introduced to Cutter, who is such a fun character because he's a good foil for Nate (because he's not totally ignorant of the history and mythology stuff) and Chloe pops back into the scene. But whatever, the game really eases players in and I like that it's confident enough in itself to know it can take a good 90 minutes of you just walking and climbing and talking without needing to pepper enemies around because that's just the kind of chap Uncharted 3 is.

The Chateau in France is a lot of fun. I feel like this is the tightest gameplay in the series (I should note when I say series I mean Uncharted 1 - 3, because 4 I feel is like just on another level compared to the first 3) and it has some real puzzles. Or at least one real puzzle. That sort of checkerboard matrix right before Lord Godfrey's tomb. You know what I'm talking about. Anyway this is another extended set piece with no combat before you get to some combat. And then you do and it is a lot of fun. Isn't it kind of weird how Drake immediately manages to figure clues out sometimes? Like he managed to figure out they should go to Syria and France from a couple of napkin scribbles. He's so dreamy.

Syria though is kind of messy. First, it's not that visually attractive. And let's be honest, we play these games to look at beautiful people and things. I think the grenade toss-back mechanic is kind of unfortunate. Like yes, it's true that it's good you can throw grenades back. But it isn't so clear that the designers knew how to design their combat bowls around this. You still have so much verticality and now you can throw back grenades. So they now have bad guys spawn out from nowhere which is something that plagued (I guess this isn't such a bad thing anymore LOL AMERICA) the first game and not the second game. The number of times I was getting shot from offscreen TOWARDS me (the physical me, like towards the front of the camera) was bizarre. It's because they'd spawn like shotgunners in your face to keep you mobile since now you can throw back grenades.

The whole game-is-unfinished stuff comes to light in Syria. Talbot as magician is underused in the plot. I don't really think Marlowe is underdeveloped like a lot of people think, because who really needs to know more about an evil British lady who wants to control her enemies? Plus she doesn't have a ton of screen time anyway, so she's like the offscreen evil presence that motivates things. But Talbot makes frequent appearances and he's really underdeveloped. He gets shot by Cutter; no reaction. He disappears in Syria; no explanation. Cutter has a magic card on him but it doesn't really go anywhere. I'm sure people have heard this argument before.

OK then there's the big controversial part of the game, which is the SHIPYARD / SHIP diversion. And I contend that it is not a diversion. People say that it doesn't move the plot at all. That's true. But it clearly is part of the story. Uncharted 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION is not really about Ubar and the poison water. It's really about Drake and Sully. So going off to rescue Sully, or rescue yourself AND Sully, like yeah, it doesn't directly advance the plot of getting to Ubar. But WHO AMONG YOU would not go rescue Sully in Drake's position? First, he got kidnapped, so escape is clearly part of the plot. Then he has to find Sully. Like yeah, he doesn't. But he doesn't KNOW he won't find Sully when he's doing it. And it provides perhaps the greatest AND the weakest set piece in the entire series up to that point: the ship graveyard, which is Uncharted 3's attempt to timetravel and become Uncharted 4, and the ship main ballroom area, which is just shit. Seriously it's ONE piece of cover basically while 3 lasers look at you intently like they just found the cover of that fake Out Magazine. OK so whatever. It'sabit messy.

Eventually you end up in the desert and that bit is a visual treat but some pretty wacky storytelling. Like the game shows you at least 2 full days in the desert with no water. Drake should be basically dead. But he's fine because him dying would be a pretty sad way to end the story. Which I'm fine with. Like I said, the word is a dark and shitty place these days and who wants to see Drake die in the desert? Not me! The actual gun battles here are pretty fun, and I think the last 1/3 of the game, beginning with the plane set piece, is really special. Ubar itself is actually frustrating in a couple encounters unless you know what you're doing.

Actually, in general Uncharted 3 seems to be a long series of combat puzzles. Like it's a little too restrictive in many encounters unless you know what you're doing, and in others it is so free that I think a lot of people playing Uncharted didn't know what to do (because, frankly, that wasn't what the series was about up to that point). Like the Djinn die with two sniper bullets. You can fire these from blind cover even and it works perfectly. But if you don't do this, they're crazy hit sponges in an environment with little to no cover. On the other hand, the ship graveyard / main Syria bowl are incredibly frustrating if you're trying to play it in the way you'd play an Uncharted 1/2 encounter.

So all in all I think it does have the best "gameplay" of the first two games but it can be really uneven in spots.

Let's talk about why you're reading: Victor Sullivan. Uncharted 3's story is a little rough. It jumps around a lot and some characters do things that are illogical. Ends meet too perfectly in a number of cases, and in others they don't meet at all. People say ND designed the set pieces first and the story second, and I'm fine with that because this is a game, after all. And the set pieces in this game really are spectacular. They're sort of the logical conclusion of, "Well we took it as far as a collapsing building last time so what can we do this time?" And I just realized I've never once talked about Sully in this paragraph!

SO. SULLY. He's so cool and so manly. He's just such a good character because he's the mentor everyone always wishes they had. In this sad day and age, when going outside seems treacherous and the news is plastered with badness 24x7, having Victor Sully making dirty puns as you punch shotgunners in the face just feels right.

I don't think Naughty Dog will make Uncharted again, which is fine because they've made 3 and they have to do other things. I hope they're not done with this franchise though because there's so much potential in developing these side characters further. I really think a prequel with Sully would be just what the doctor ordered. Can you imagine his days before meeting Drake, doing jobs for clients and being in the Navy, I dunno, doing Navy things and smoking cigars? Or even Drake again. Or Drake's kids. I dunno, whatever. With the way things are, I want to feel the adventure. Taste the happy.

Last edited:

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
the desert is Cool and Good

Uncharted 3 is Cool and Good

Uncharted 4 is the best Uncharted

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the desert wasn't a montage, and I wish the game was a little less globe trotting and a little more focused, and I wish Cutter got to have some kind of arc in the back half of the game.

But UC3 is still pretty darn good.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
giphy.gif

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
Drake's Deception is my favourite Uncharted story.
The wonderful story, the astounding gameplay variation along with the insane quality and quantity of setpieces make the pacing absolutely flawless for me.
A masterpiece and the best paced game I have ever played.

People who prefer Among Thieves are stuck with their nostalgia goggles on.
Yes it was far more impressive for its time and the narrative is arguably better, but even with that -- It's still not the better game IMO.
A Thief's End is the best Uncharted though, ofcourse.

Last edited:

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
U2 > U4 > U3 > U1.

U1 was still awesome, but U2 was such a technical masterpiece in 2009 that it kind of a ruined U1 for me. U2 is still probably the most memorable game for me of all time with that long train level and Nepal. Incredible use of PS3.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing through it now and I'm surprise how amateurish it feels in comparison to UC4 and last of us pt 2. The only thing holding the game together is the character interactions. All of the main characters are just so damn likable and they remedied UC2's lack of Victor Sullivan by having him one of the characters with the most screen time. Also, I really enjoyed seeing the young drake and sully flashback. Fun stuff. Unfortunately, both villains are lame and the story is even messier than I remembered. I might even enjoy UC1 more than 3. For me 4>LL>2>1>3. The modern games are such a step up with their controls and combat scenarios that despite how much I love UC2 I don't think I can put it above the ps4 games. I just got done with Syria and it may finish above UC1. I enjoyed reading your write up OP.

OP
OP
Y2Kev

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that SECRET STUDIO (that I doubt really exists) in San Diego is cranking out Uncharted 5 and we will see it in August! I can't believe they would just...stop making these.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Every day that we don't get a Silly spin off game is a crime.

Either him and Cutter going on adventures or a story in the past of him and young Nathan.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The end of the game felt unfinished to me.

The giant hidden city falling into a sinkhole after 1 flare gun shot an hour after you got there and the magic treasure being relegated to Nate just trippin balls for 15 minutes can't possibly have been the original plan.

It seems to me most likely that the locked in 2 year dev cycle, mixed with having to support Uncharted 2's multiplayer, in conjunction with attempting to split into two dev teams and make The Last of Us simultaneously , along with the gross crunch Naughty Dog gloats about caught up with them and that ending is what they were able to get done.

The entire series after 1 kicking Elena to the curb for other characters also annoyed me. She deserves better than what Naughty Dog gave her.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
So here is the thing about the desert...

As far as media and literature goes, deserts and by extension mirages, have always been vehicles for the internal journey(see Lawrence of Arabia) and self reflection more so than any literal sand voyage. Trying to view that sequence and anchor it towards reality really goes against its intended purpose. Truth is, we have no idea how many days or hours he was out there wandering alone, nor does it really matter. The point of that segment isn't about how long someone can go without water, it's about how lost a man is internally.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I recently saw James Bond Living daylights and very quickly realized where Naughty dog got the idea for that plane setpiece

OP
OP
Y2Kev

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
FUCK I just realized Sully's voice actor is 73. Sony San Diego Studio Secret Etc. better get making Uncharted 5 RIGHT AWAY.

Also I would say that I agree Uncharted 3 is jankier than the others. It's easier to break set pieces and like fail things, and it's not always telegraphed as easily as to where you should go. So I agree with that.

The giant hidden city falling into a sinkhole after 1 flare gun shot an hour after you got there

Hey, that happened to Shambala too! :D

I would say that TLL and 4 did a better job, in my mind, of at least portraying a "hidden city" that wouldn't get picked up by planes and/or satellites than 2 and 3 did.

So here is the thing about the desert...

As far as media and literature goes, deserts and by extension mirages, have always been vehicles for the internal journey(see Lawrence of Arabia) and self reflection more so than any literal sand voyage. Trying to view that sequence and anchor it towards reality really goes against its intended purpose. Truth is, we have no idea how many days or hours he was out there wandering alone, nor does it really matter. The point of that segment isn't about how long someone can go without water, it's about how lost a man is internally.

Sure, I agree. But we do have some idea: it's at least two days. Unless the game wants us to believe he's hallucinating time of day changes too, which is fine.

I'm not sure I believe that the game really sets up Drake as "lost" internally. He's pretty focused throughout the entire game. I'd say his focus is part of the peril. The T. S. Eliot poem made me think it was more about physical than metaphysical, but I really don't, like, look at these games and complain about realism. It's fine. It's just funny how he very clearly is suffering and then is fine. But I don't care.

I think you could argue he's thrown away everything of value in his life to chase treasure, but it doesn't really show him as all that conflicted about it. I think he pines for Elena, but it's clear to me he is fine putting that on hold for rn. Which is good because Sully is missing and VGDS needs to be saved so he can star in Uncharted 5.

UNCHARTED 5 NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean people want these characters. Nolan North and Emily Rose hosted a games unveil show for some boring PC games and people watched just for them.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I vote for another U game with more Sullivan.
Best Uncharted is a tie between 2 and TLL

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The giant hidden city falling into a sinkhole after 1 flare gun shot an hour after you got there and the magic treasure being relegated to Nate just trippin balls for 15 minutes can't possibly have been the original plan.

It seems to me most likely that the locked in 2 year dev cycle, mixed with having to support Uncharted 2's multiplayer, in conjunction with attempting to split into two dev teams and make The Last of Us simultaneously , along with the gross crunch Naughty Dog gloats about caught up with them and that ending is what they were able to get done.

The entire series after 1 kicking Elena to the curb for other characters also annoyed me. She deserves better than what Naughty Dog gave her.

She's almost always the best part of every game, though.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind another Uncharted. I could go for a goofy, up-beat swashbuckling adventure anytime.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Kev, do you think it's necessary to play the first two before getting into this one?

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
She's almost always the best part of every game, though.

She gets Wade Wells'd in the second game. Nate choosing her over Chloe in the end only minimally mitigates this. She is still kicked to the curb for a more attractive model.

And in the third game she is completely kicked to the curb. The lap scene feels like something they forgot to remove from an old plot that wasn't all about Sully.

How did we get from "If you love her, tell her" at the end of the second game to "Hi honey, can you pick up a dozen eggs on the way home from work? No problem love you" in the 4th? What was that ring? A promise ring? Engagement Ring? Wedding Ring? Ring Pop? Did Nate even give it to her? Nothing is explained.

Then there's the plane catching scene. How did Elena go from "Nah Sully, we don't have to ditch the girl. She's badass" to "Stay here, I want you to be safe". Elena helping Nate get on the plane should have been the plan in the first place.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a big Uncharted fan and I hated UC3. The game doesn't control well, the story is a mess, and the combat encounters were poorly designed. Definitely the worst Uncharted.

For the record, Lost Legacy is the best. #TeamChloe

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Hey, I'm currently playing U3. Sully is by far my favorite of the series and possibly my favorite voice acting. He's my go to guy in Uncharted multiplayer.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
FUCK I just realized Sully's voice actor is 73. Sony San Diego Studio Secret Etc. better get making Uncharted 5 RIGHT AWAY.

Also I would say that I agree Uncharted 3 is jankier than the others. It's easier to break set pieces and like fail things, and it's not always telegraphed as easily as to where you should go. So I agree with that.

Hey, that happened to Shambala too! :D

I would say that TLL and 4 did a better job, in my mind, of at least portraying a "hidden city" that wouldn't get picked up by planes and/or satellites than 2 and 3 did.

Sure, I agree. But we do have some idea: it's at least two days. Unless the game wants us to believe he's hallucinating time of day changes too, which is fine.

I'm not sure I believe that the game really sets up Drake as "lost" internally. He's pretty focused throughout the entire game. I'd say his focus is part of the peril. The T. S. Eliot poem made me think it was more about physical than metaphysical, but I really don't, like, look at these games and complain about realism. It's fine. It's just funny how he very clearly is suffering and then is fine. But I don't care.

I think you could argue he's thrown away everything of value in his life to chase treasure, but it doesn't really show him as all that conflicted about it. I think he pines for Elena, but it's clear to me he is fine putting that on hold for rn. Which is good because Sully is missing and VGDS needs to be saved so he can star in Uncharted 5.

UNCHARTED 5 NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean people want these characters. Nolan North and Emily Rose hosted a games unveil show for some boring PC games and people watched just for them.
I really don't think that sequence is meant to be taken literal at all; I don't think there is an oasis, well, "red rock," or omnipotent narrator reading T.S. Elliot. Nor do I think the desert got that red in terms of lighting.

I would absolutely say he is lost simply because thematically that game, and specifically that sequence, is all about Impostor Syndrome.What I love about that game is it deconstructs the entire series and makes you really go back and appreciate things differently. Nathan Drake was never a dude looking for treasure as much as he was an orphan looking for significance. The ring gave him some semblance of an assumed faux identity, and Sully's presence lent some credibility to it throughout the series, but the beautiful thing about the desert is there is no one else around to lie to or posture in front of. No reporter to deceive or con man to impress. Nate is alone, and because of that I always felt those moments were the most honest in the series. The "big red rock" isn't about literal shade from the sun, it's something to hide behind, it's a front to make an outwards appearance. Nate has always been behind that "Drake rock" because he has always been hiding behind something that obscures who he really is/was.

I have always had an issue with UC4 because going back and digging into "Nathan Morgan" DIDN'T MATTER! It really took what I considered to be a deeply complex, and seriously flawed character and it simplified him. Gone was this idea of someone who felt thrown away and worthless, turning to fantastical stories to find some illusion to greatness and instead he is replaced with someone who just took a new last name cause he was on the run from the law. The worst part is it's not even Nate's idea circa UC4, it's Sam's! Upon finishing UC3 you get to understand Nathan Drake as a deeply flawed man who's sense of crippling Impostor Syndrome lead to a life of complete and utter deception of those around him, from his father figure to even his wife. Despite all of the fantastical elements and unbelievable adventures he was perhaps the most relatable character I have ever come across in video games because he was someone who wished he was someone else, and by the end of the game he presented me with an undeniably important life lesson: true greatness cannot be inherited or taken, but instead must be internally realized. Or as another great man once said, "real greatness is what you do with the hand you're dealt..."

And UC4 just threw all of that away...

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She gets Wade Wells'd in the second game. Nate choosing her over Chloe in the end only minimally mitigates this. She is still kicked to the curb for a more attractive model.

And in the third game she is completely kicked to the curb. The lap scene feels like something they forgot to remove from an old plot that wasn't all about Sully.

How did we get from "If you love her, tell her" at the end of the second game to "Hi honey, can you pick up a dozen eggs on the way home from work? No problem love you" in the 4th? What was that ring? A promise ring? Engagement Ring? Wedding Ring? Ring Pop? Did Nate even give it to her? Nothing is explained.

Then there's the plane catching scene. How did Elena go from "Nah Sully, we don't have to ditch the girl. She's badass" to "Stay here, I want you to be safe". Elena helping Nate get on the plane should have been the plan in the first place.
Nate's a flawed character, but he made the right call in the end.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Amazing game. Though it does fall below 2 and 4 for me a bit.

4 > 2 > 3 > 1

yes!!
thats my opinion to...
i absolute love all uncharted games.
naughty dog characters has something that make us to really care for them and make the journey much more interesting than the huge majority of games out there.

OP
OP
Y2Kev

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Kev, do you think it's necessary to play the first two before getting into this one?
Not really. It's almost a prequel in how it delves into Drake's story far more than the other two.

Lastnac: cool analysis! I am not sure how much of it is really contextualized by the game itself but I buy all of it! I think 3 got treated as almost non canon so it was sort of retcon'd out by 4.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
The other thing that bothers me about this game is it retcons existing cannon.

In the first game this conversation happens:

Sully: We need to ditch the girl
Nate: No we don't, she's badass
Sully: Nate, do you trust me?
Nate: *Glares at Sully* More or less

Sully hides his debt to Gabriel, almost get Nate shot and killed. Justifying Nate's lack of total trust in Sully. Then later when Sully is seen helping Gabriel and his goons, Nate isn't sure if Sully has changed sides, was on the bad side the whole time, or is just doing what he needs to do to stay alive.

In the third game, this is retconed into Sully being Nate's foster dad who selflessly looks out for Nate's best interests at all times. That is not the Sully of the first game.

Nate's a flawed character, but he made the right call in the end.

Nate's character has nothing to do with me criticizing Naughty Dog for making Elena sit on the sidelines for less important characters.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
I agree with the OP that we need more Sullivan. And there's always room for Uncharted. It's video game Jello.

I think ND hit on a cool new formula with Lost Legacy that can be a template for the next Uncharted game. Give me a game with Victor, Sam, Chloe, Nadine, and Cutter.

I also want to see some geriatric love between Victor and a love interest.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It's almost a prequel in how it delves into Drake's story far more than the other two.

Lastnac: cool analysis! I am not sure how much of it is really contextualized by the game itself but I buy all of it! I think 3 got treated as almost non canon so it was sort of retcon'd out by 4.

Alright, I'm doing it!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
yes!!
thats my opinion to...
i absolute love all uncharted games.
naughty dog characters has something that make us to really care for them and make the journey much more interesting than the huge majority of games out there.

Agreed!

The only Uncharted that I feel aged a bit in the original. I went through U2 and U3 right before U4 and they still held up very well.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome thread, awesome series.

I found Uncharted 3 the most frustrating of the bunch gameplay-wise. The platforming gave me trouble even on easy, and I hated the bullet sponge enemies that I couldn't pop with one headshot. I liked the feel of Uncharted 2 more.

Uncharted 3's presentation, story, and characters though? Classic.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to, the Uncharted games are pretty self contained overall, but definitely recommend at least playing Uncharted 2 also (Uncharted1 has not aged well, so playing it after playing 2 or 3 could be hard, but it's only like 7-ish hours too). Uncharted 4 should really only be the one you should leave for last out of the main entries, it definitely requires you to be invested in the characters from the get go.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
The game's pacing is a bit messy, maybe even more so than 4 in a lot of respects, but the chateau stretch of the game may be the best vertical slice of the whole series. It's a gorgeous location, you've got lots of bonding with Sully, some exploration, some good puzzles, some escalating combat, and then it ends with a banger of a setpiece. I really enjoy the game as a whole, even if it ranks 3 or 4 in the series for me at this point, but that's the best part of the game imo.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
UC2 was very good, but I remember enjoying UC3 as much, maybe even more. Was a bit surprised people didn't seem to dig it as much as 2, but hey ho.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Haven't played 3 since I beat it back when the game came out, but I liked it just as much as part 2 at the time. I didnt think much of uncharted 2, when I played it on the PS4, the gameplay felt old and stale, it just wasn't up to modern standards. So I do wonder if UC3 holds up better, or if its just as bad.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that Uncharted 5 will jump ahead post-Uncharted 4, and we'll get adult Cassie and old man Sam Drake doing a similar dynamic to Nate and Sully.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
This is one of ND's weakest games, outside of some amazing set-pieces like the plane in the desert, I find most of it quite boring, I was so disappointed with it after UC2. I love the main cast so much though, so it's not all bad. I just love seeing these guys together.

Also, I've been watching Nolan North play through the series with some of the cast on Retro Replay and it's been great, he's on UC3 at the moment, I highly recommend it. It's great just to hear Richard Mcgonagle chuckle through most of it, the cast have such great chemistry together.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Replayed the original trilogy the other week, and I think it cemented U3 as my favorite of that set.

Uncharted 1 is very vanilla in all aspects, which makes perfect sense, and it at least does not overstay it's welcome.

Uncharted 2 is great... for the first two thirds of the game. From the Monastery on (maybe even the ice caves) I found the game began to drag, and I remember feeling that way on previous replays as well. According to the speedrun trophy, it's a shorter game than Uncharted 3, but I don't think it's paced as well when it comes to gameplay/location variety. Also, this might be a bit controversial, but I think it has the worst combat of the series, at least by that two-thirds point. Weapons felt less accurate, bullets slower, and--for all U3 gets called out for this--enemies more spongey than in the first game, especially those awful Shambhala guardians (I know you use the resin and crossbows, it's still not fun). And there were still some kinks in Drakes control that were yet to be improved.

Moving to U3, I immediately noticed a difference. I understand it had some kind of issues with control when it first came out (came to it a bit late myself, so I missed this) but I feel it's a moot point given where the game's two versions sit now. The graphics are still pretty fantastic for that almost-cartoony reality of the first three games. This is the most globe-trotting Uncharted has ever been, keeping the settings fresh. The ship graveyard is good, actually, with its use of water-based combat arenas and stealth. The detour in forward-driving plot is only that if you care about nothing but the treasure hunt. This game is about Drake the man more than Drake the player character.

The only encounters I found frustrating were the few djiin ones at the end, but I was also trying to get some weapon trophies to pop, which doesnt help anything.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
Sully is the best ! Never will forget that line :

« I'm sweating like a hooker in a church » in U2.

U1 was excellent but U2 made it look like sh*t. U2 is probably the best game ND ever did. WHAT A MASTERPIECE ! It made U3 disappointing even tho It was a really good game.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Agreed!

The only Uncharted that I feel aged a bit in the original. I went through U2 and U3 right before U4 and they still held up very well.

exactly my feeling when I played the 3 games on remaster.
it's clear that the original didn't aged well but the other 2 were really satisfying to play again.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I should give it another chance someday. I remember getting to the boat graveyard level and giving up because it was too frustrating.

Also, people really need to play Lost Legacy... It's the best game in the franchise! It has the technical quality of UC4 but without the extra bloat that killed my enjoyment of 4 (I was sooooo ready for that game to be over once I hit 60-70% of its story...Ugh.. Talk about overstaying your welcome).

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Drake's Deception is my favourite Uncharted story.
The wonderful story, the astounding gameplay variation along with the insane quality and quantity of setpieces make the pacing absolutely flawless for me.
A masterpiece and the best paced game I have ever played.

People who prefer Among Thieves are stuck with their nostalgia goggles on.
Yes it was far more impressive for its time and the narrative is arguably better, but even with that -- It's still not the better game IMO.
A Thief's End is the best Uncharted though, ofcourse.

But I played 1-3 all for the first time in a single month and still liked 2 more than 3. :P