• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Unbound Link: https://unbound.com/books/residentevil/

Screenshot_2019-10-17_15.48.04.png

An Itchy, Tasty History of Resident Evil by Alex Aniel chronicles the development of Capcom's popular Resident Evil series, beginning from before the 1996 release of the original through to the end of 2006.

Aniel spent two years interviewing key members of former Capcom staff, allowing him to tell the inside story of how Capcom's survival horror game franchise was envisioned as early as the late 1980s, how its unexpected and unprecedented success saved Capcom from financial trouble, how it struggled at the turn of the century and how it was reborn with the 2005 release of Resident Evil 4. It concludes with the large organizational changes that occurred at Capcom in late 2006 that saw the series production shift to a new generation of creators (a topic to be converted in a sequel book).

Aniel narrates the development of each Resident Evil game released between 1996 and 2006, interspersing commentary from the developers themselves. Aniel offers new information that takes into account Capcom's situation as a company throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s, the video game industry as a whole and how being from Japan influenced the viewpoints of the creators.

Well-versed in both English and Japanese, Aniel has spoken directly to many key players from the first decade of the Resident Evil series, including:
  • Tokuro Fujiwara, Director of Sweet Home, Executive Producer of Resident Evil (1996)
  • Yoshiki Okamoto, Executive Producer of Resident Evil series through 2003
  • Noritaka Funamizu, General Producer of Resident Evil series, Producer of Resident Evil: Outbreak
  • Shinji Mikami, Director of Resident Evil (1996 and 2002), Resident Evil 4
  • Hideki Kamiya, Director of Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cryand OKAMI
  • Kazuhiro Aoyama, Director of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
  • Hiroki Kato, Director of Resident Evil CODE: Veronica
An extract from the book appeared earlier this year Polygon, you can read it here

Unbound Link: https://unbound.com/books/residentevil/
---------------------------

There's a lot of interesting tidbits from the Polygon excerpt alone. So i'm very interested in seeing the final product and what interesting history there is to the series that we don't know about. Seems like this will be quite the go to for any big Resident Evil fan.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll pre-order when I'll get back home but is there a release date ?

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn the guy who got me through classic RE games with his amazing guides wrote a book? I must buy it out of obligation.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
This is amazing! Thank you so much OP for linking this as I truly had no idea this was even a thing. Completely backed the patron edition and now I'm already ready for my copy to be here, lol.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I've met the man himself and he is as nice a guy as you will ever meet. I cannot wait for this book. Not just to support CVX but because this is a story I would love to read about and I know CVX has the inside knowledge to tell it in the most detailed way possible.

I want the hardcover version, I will pay whatever. Hopefully it's out soon.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I remember reading that the RE2 article early this year and thought it was very good and informative. Certainly a book to keep an eye on.

A bit sad it stops in 2006 though. The two RE games I most want to know about the develpment are RE3 and RE5... wonder when the sequel might come out.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Instant purchase! Best of luck with the funding. I really need to go back and check out that RE2 stream with Kamiya when I have the time.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I just backed this. I've been looking forward to it sinc reading that polygon article a while back. Back it people.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Thank you for letting me know about this, I think the development of the first few RE games is really fascinating so I would love to read more about that.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How did I miss this! I've been waiting for cvxfreak's opus for one billion years! Backed at the patron + poster level!
Now get back on 8-4 play and continue the podcast series (please)! Stretch goal...?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
This is awesome
I remember reading that the RE2 article early this year and thought it was very good and informative. Certainly a book to keep an eye on.

A bit sad it stops in 2006 though. The two RE games I most want to know about the develpment are RE3 and RE5... wonder when the sequel might come out.
yeah, i will never understand why Capcom wanted the team that made RE4 out

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sad to see this is only at 47%, although creeping up gradually. I'm not completely sure how Unbound works but I presume there is some kind of time limit on how long the funding campaign can last?

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Will gladly support this if it's still going in a couple weeks, just haven't been able to afford it. Sounds awesome though and would love to read it.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

Interview with CVXfreak about his book, including an interesting anecdote about the two disc release of RE2.

Didn't know this was being crowdfunded. I'll back this soon.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I put in my pledge. The project is at 64% funded right now. Still a way to go, so get to it people!

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
With all the Resident Evil excitement ongoing, don't forget to help fund this amazingly promising book! Looks like it jumped from 74% to 76% in the past day or so, but we can do better, right?

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
finley83 RocketDarkness Thanks for helping interest stay afloat!

We're at 80% now and according to the publisher, no book that's made it to this point has actually failed, so I think we should be able to hit it sooner than later! :)