• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Many changes due to past and future greenhouse gas emissions are irreversible for centuries to millennia, especially changes in the ocean, ice sheets and global sea level

it can and will get worse if we continue on the same or similar trajectory

The report, which is the first major review of its kind since 2013, was released on Monday by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) ahead of the COP26 summit in November.

U.N. SECRETARY GENERAL ANTONIO GUTERRES:

"Today's IPCC Working Group 1 Report is a 'Code Red' for humanity ... This report must sound a death knell for coal and fossil fuels, before they destroy our planet."

Nations have delayed curbing their fossil-fuel emissions for so long that they can no longer stop global warming from intensifying over the next 30 years, though there is still a short window to prevent the most harrowing future, a major new United Nations scientific report has concluded.
Even if nations started sharply cutting emissions today, total global warming is likely to rise around 1.5 degrees Celsius within the next two decades, a hotter future that is now essentially locked in.
At 1.5 degrees of warming, scientists have found, the dangers grow considerably. Nearly 1 billion people worldwide could swelter in more frequent life-threatening heat waves. Hundreds of millions more would struggle for water because of severe droughts. Some animal and plant species alive today will be gone. Coral reefs, which sustain fisheries for large swaths of the globe, will suffer more frequent mass die-offs.
"There's no going back from some changes in the climate system," said Ko Barrett, a vice-chair of the panel and a senior adviser for climate at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
humanity can still prevent the planet from getting even hotter. Doing so would require a coordinated effort among countries to stop adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere by around 2050, which would entail a rapid shift away from fossil fuels starting immediately, as well as potentially removing vast amounts of carbon from the air. If that happened, global warming would likely halt and level off at around 1.5 degrees Celsius, the report concludes.

A good read on how to process this report, what you can do, and what to expect.

threadreaderapp.com

Thread by @KA_Nicholas on Thread Reader App

Thread by @KA_Nicholas: Hi, it’s your friendly neighborhood climate scientist. Facing the #climatecrisis is tough! Here’s the essentials you need to know, tips for finding where you can contribute with purpose and ...…

Last edited:

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
The "cannot be stopped" will do a lot of heavy lifting for everyone (people and companies) to not enact change.

Also, yeah, UN doomposting. They should get off Era for a while and look around outside, everything is fine!

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
But we were told to look after the environment by people who fly everywhere on private jets, have yachts and huge mansions, how could this happen?

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think many people here have been saying this for the past couple years and we're always accused of doom posting.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it's Era's fault. We didn't want things to get better or believe that things could get better hard enough.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
This also means more pandemics and new viruses.
The future that awaits us will be agonizing

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Not mad at them effectively throwing up their hands and saying 'You all fucked this up'. Pleading for decades hasn't helped, lets start pointing fingers.

At least now maybe when there's the next megafire or megafreeze that kills people perhaps they will start to point fingers at their governments inaction on climate change as the problem as opposed to 'shit happens' and force a change so that way 100 years from now MAYBE it gets better

Special Puppy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 12, 2020
Nobody will be punished for this. They ruined our children's future and they'll keep getting away with it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think many people here have been saying this for the past couple years and we're always accused of doom posting.
Just saying "shit's fucked" over and over doesn't make you cool, doesn't help anything, and actively hurts by discouraging action. Half the posts in this thread are just dunking on the don't doompost crowd, rather than saying anything constructive or interesting.

Jan 29, 2018
Happy Monday!

Shit's dire, but do what you can. I'll be the first one to agree that systemic, government-led change is the only thing that will really move the needle, but individual action will help your mental health. Drive a little less, put $50 a month in your 'someday I'll have solar panels' fund, set the air to 73 instead of 72, and just try to hang in there.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the catharsis of it all is absolutely deafening… yet hardly anything gets done. We're up the creek without a paddle in a sinking boat full of deadly scorpions and most people just sit there with a fucking smile on their face…

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The "cannot be stopped" will do a lot of heavy lifting for everyone (people and companies) to not enact change.

Also, yeah, UN doomposting. They should get off Era for a while and look around outside, everything is fine!

When they realize future returns won't matter in the next 20 to 30 years because of everything going to shit, then it will probably matter. Firms like Blackrock have been following this and pricing this into future estimates. ESG consideration is gaining significant traction each day.

It will probably depend on the company and how costs for them change due to climate change, but this where governments and people (shareholders) will play an instrumental role in pushing for change. I'm just afraid it will be too late because it will take a lot of hits to business and suffering in general before people decide to force change.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Just saying "shit's fucked" over and over doesn't make you cool, doesn't help anything, and actively hurts by discouraging action. Half the posts in this thread are just dunking on the don't doompost crowd, rather than saying anything constructive or interesting.
Yeah it's like these "climate change has reached the point of Armageddon" news posts only exist to make people get angry about shit they have no ability to change. They've been saying how bad this was gonna get since the 70s and no one cared. We are past the point we're we could stop this. It's okay to not care anymore. The world won't come together as a collective entity to save Earth from the Sun lol

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Yeah and expecting everyone to have a constructive suggestion in order to mention the fact the shit's fucked, or else they must be telling people to give up and not do anything, is some ignorant, conversation-controlling shit too.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
www.scientificamerican.com

Exxon Knew about Climate Change Almost 40 Years Ago

A new investigation shows the oil company understood the science before it became a public issue and spent millions to promote misinformation

Assholes like Exxon knew for decades what was happening and they covered it up/spent money on propaganda instead.

This is why I hope all those lawsuit work. The people responsible for hiding the info won't see justice, but at least we can make the corporate pay to try to fix what they've done.

Oct 26, 2017
I know the NY Times does A/B tested headlines and picks the clickbait one that gets the most engagement, but I can't say enough about how much I hate this headline.

1. We already have gone through 1 C of warming so like..... no shit?
2. It will obviously take time to switch over to green energy so another 0.5 C to 1 C minimum warming, will happen, yes.
3. The point isn't whether or not there is warming (there obviously has been and will be!) but limiting the margin.
4. The headline implies a level of doom and pointlessness that is *extremely* annoying.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Nobody will be punished for this. They ruined our children's future and they'll keep getting away with it.
They ruined our future too. I'm 30 years old and the next decade or two is going to be extremely rough. In 15 years, society that we know of will cease to exist. We will not be able to produce enough food to support the human global population. Extreme weather is already messing up global food supply chains and it will be even more dramatic come later. Extreme weather will also result in massive amount of death in the next decade or so.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and expecting everyone to have a constructive suggestion in order to mention the fact the shit's fucked, or else they must be telling people to give up and not do anything, is some ignorant, conversation-controlling shit too.
Well, my deepest apologies for ruining your Monday morning. Please don't let me hold up the anti-anti-doomposting conversation, and thank you for your service.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that we have failed the litmus test that was the pandemic. We have seen how something that affects all of humanity still causes polarization and unrest. It really is a dire warning for our future. Cause this shit ain't happening in this timeline:

humanity can still prevent the planet from getting even hotter. Doing so would require a coordinated effort among countries to stop adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere by around 2050, which would entail a rapid shift away from fossil fuels starting immediately, as well as potentially removing vast amounts of carbon from the air.

This will require fundamental transformations in all aspects of society — how we grow food, use land, transport goods, and power our economies.

We don't really have any track record to indicate we will even slow down emissions over the next 30 years.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.scientificamerican.com

Exxon Knew about Climate Change Almost 40 Years Ago

A new investigation shows the oil company understood the science before it became a public issue and spent millions to promote misinformation

Assholes like Exxon knew for decades what was happening and they covered it up/spent money on propaganda instead.
What I don't understand, they knew it all those years ago, they could've been on the front of a new wave of technology. They could've invested and made money by investing in a new future and prevent any of this this, yet did nothing whatsoever... This stuff just boggles my mind...

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"But it's only getting hotter"
"You will live"
"It's gonna be fine for YOU"
"Don't be a doom sayer, live your life"

No shit sherlocks. No shit.

I enjoy my life and everything, but it's gonna be the new reality pretty quickly. It's gonna get really ugly.

Before 1800, 50% of all babies died before the age of 5.

Really? That's your point?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Boomers will likely die having been the last generation to have lived not knowing or being affected by the more severe consequences of climate change. Last laugh and all that.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

I mean honestly, if we voiced the only solution that comes to mind as making any difference in the face of uncaring governments and corporations we'd be banned for advocating some Avalanche shit.

Which I will clarify I do not, as I value my ability to talk about video games.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Serious freakin' eyeroll at all the "something something doomposting" posts.

There's a broad spectrum of posts on here about climate change, more than a few of which breach into "the world is irretrievably fucked, having kids is immoral, why should I bother doing anything when the world is going to end imminently" which straight up is doomposting.

This report puts into stark relief the imminent climate reality, and it is irrefutably bad, but the overarching messaging is there are still things that can be done to reduce the longer term impact.

Some will feel that it doesn't matter, no-one will listen anyway and they might be right, but when people make posts on here in such a state that they question even doing basic things in their life, or it's affecting their mental health to such a degree it's hampering their physical health, what should the correct response be other than "try to enjoy things in your life as well."

People freakin' clamouring to pat eachother on the back for being right all along, Jesus.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not mad at them effectively throwing up their hands and saying 'You all fucked this up'. Pleading for decades hasn't helped, lets start pointing fingers.
Problem is everyone's going to be pointing fingers at each other now.

What I don't understand, they knew it all those years ago, they could've been on the front of a new wave of technology. They could've invested and made money by investing in a new future and prevent any of this this, yet did nothing whatsoever... This stuff just boggles my mind...
Potential income vs guaranteed income. Easy choice for the board of directors.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's so unbelievably insane when you think about it. The planed we all share is being destroyed by the top 1%, no, the top 0.1%. All while they try to convince everyone that it's actually our fault because we take daily showers and maybe have an AC unit that we can barely afford.

So they get us to yell at each other because we do things that don't actually matter at all in the grand scheme of things, instead of yelling at the corporations that are actually to blame.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
This is the result of unchecked exploitation of natural resources. For a global coordinated effort we would need to see the major world powers step up with some leadership around this issue. No one is doing this.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How often do industry-leading companies completely revamp an already lucrative business model? It's too easy to just keep doing what works for you in the moment. Doubly so if you're talking about people in the 70s who wouldn't even be alive to see the effects of climate change anyway.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
This report puts into stark relief the imminent climate reality, and it is irrefutably bad, but the overarching messaging is there are still things that can be done to reduce the longer term impact.
Peaceful means will not get this done. The powers that be will pay the powers that be to make sure nothing gets done. Everything will be done "within the rules" dictated to us.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Advocating violence
Lot of heads should literally roll. And I don't get why they don't. The people who made this happen while having data on the implications from scientist they themselves hired to assess the consequences and still went away are responsible for an impossible amount of human suffering . We're not talking about killing few people here and there, or even lot of people here and there. This thing is on an impossible scale.

Law can't get anything to change. Governments are complicit as can be. Old rich people trusting they can have their kicks until the end because they won't be around long enough to really suffer from it. Only actual practical solution I can think of is literally masses of people storming all of their castles and throwing them out, stripping them out of their wealth immediately. Stop the chain of command by force. The only superpower they have is having a lot of money to order people around. Go full on guillotine revolution on them all.