• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
And the guy that wins is one of the people that went down in the first crash.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

That spectator with the bicycle on the right is also very unlucky there. Hopefully nothing too bad there for him.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That spectator with the bicycle on the right is also very unlucky there. Hopefully nothing too bad there for him.
Indeed, it is a good reminder on why I always tend to look for the 'escape' route when I go watch, like can I jump backwards? A peloton is a bit too much like a fluid, they take up all the space they can get so the least room they can find, they take.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
There's always gotta be one fuckin bell end for the history books, it seems.

I hope that picture follows them around the internet forever and always.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
hYCNIfv.jpg

"To be continued"

Fucking hell this pisses me the hell off. Literally on the street, not a care in the fucking world. Could legit imagine she'd ignore anything short of someone grabbing her hood and pulling her down.

Congrats on becoming today's main character on Twitter though.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
Was that sign made of something stronger than cardboard? I would think that you could blow right through it without falling...

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Tony Martin should have hit her as hard as he could to move her out of the way, what a f*cking idiot she was, they'll certainly press charges against her.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Props to the guy for making sport interesting. On a serious note Why are they no dividers for onlookers?
Because this is a race on about 200 kilometers of public roads. You'd need 400 kilometers of those. And time has shown those things aren't exactly safe either. Some of the worst accidents in the last years are related to dividers.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

They said the one that fell was part of crash 1? Wonder if the first crash played a factor here, if the bike got damaged before and just gave out at this moment.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
I've been watching tours and classics for ten+ years and I never stop yelling at those people even though it's literally me yelling at a TV hours after the race is over.
I stopped watching it a long time ago (it was a nice way to spend hot vacation day in July, August always felt boring in comparison), but I remember the TV hosts also yelled from time to time, especially during mountain stages.
On a serious note Why are there no dividers for onlookers?
They are only used before the finish line, before a mountain pass or other importants places like that. The Tour take place in many kind of roads, many of them where there is not way they could use dividers.

And I don't think they would find the time to install and uninstall them everywhere each day.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
They said the one that fell was part of crash 1? Wonder if the first crash played a factor here, if the bike got damaged before and just gave out at this moment.
It looked more like he did his work at the top of the pack, and then was going through the pack to rest. Which means a low tempo rider surrounded by high tempo ones.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Ugh, that's awful. What an idiot. I think people forget how quickly the cyclists are moving. I haven't seen the rest of the race yet to see what this means for any of the favorites. One problem is injuries mean it's harder to sleep, which limits recovery time.

I remember a big one on a city street in the TDF a few years ago, the idiot was leaning into the road with his camera and bang, huge crash at high speed for lots of riders.

The riders have to assume the people get out of the way in time. Not like they have anywhere to move to anyway, and they can't brake.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
User banned (3 days): Trolling and derailing with inappropriate commentary
Cyclists are annoying so watching that was kind of satisfying.

Oct 27, 2017
It most likely caused the biker to suddenly stop causing the chain crash.
Believe he tried to swipe away at it and lost his balance bad.
Agree that any slight change in speed or direction would cause a chain crash, but looking at the video it looked like he hit a metal sign. Oh well. Sucks for all involved, time for fan containment.
Seems clear that their arm is supporting the sign and the biker was clotheslined by the arm.
Edit: even clearer in the above close ups lol.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
? I didn't know that. With what sort of regularity? That seems craz
There are deadly and near-fatal accidents every year. Some notable accidents over the last years include the death of Bjorg Lambrecht in 2019 after crashing into a sewer drain next to the road, there was the unbelievable that it wasn't fatal accident of Fabio Jakobsen last year (which included him being catapulted over the dividers taking them down with him) and Remco Evenepoel surviving a 10 meter drop in a ravine.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
There are deadly and near-fatal accidents every year. Some notable accidents over the last years include the death of Bjorg Lambrecht in 2019 after crashing into a sewer drain next to the road, there was the unbelievable that it wasn't fatal accident of Fabio Jakobsen last year (which included him being catapulted over the dividers taking them down with him) and Remco Evenepoel surviving a 10 meter drop in a ravine.
These guys are so tough. They often get back on the bike with fractures, desperate to finish the day and the entire tour.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Negligence causing injury, should be jailed.
Absolutely stupid, irresponsible, and extremely dangerous

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
These guys are so tough. They often get back on the bike with fractures, desperate to finish the day and the entire tour.
Indeed, Gilbert still finishing a race after breaking his knee and Frank Vandenbroucke still getting a top 10 finish after breaking both his wrists. Stuff like that is crazy irresponsible when you think about it.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It would be impossible to have high security for the entire race, but for narrow areas where there is going to be a large peloton of bikers they could at least rope off or barracade the road so that clowns can't get on the course.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It would be impossible to have high security for the entire race, but for narrow areas where there is going to be a large peloton of bikers they could at least rope off or barracade the road so that clowns can't get on the course.
I mean, these are people that don't learn their lesson despite police bikes coming up at the sides of the road so the audience has to go back. They would just step over the rope.