• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It does something. Project a virus into the surrounding air, sure, but it isn't a metal child casket.

Oct 25, 2017
I know this place just LOVES to shit on Elon, so I'm sure this won't get much attention.

www.fda.gov

Ventilator Supply Mitigation Strategies

Recommendations for health care providers and facilities in treating patients who require ventilation assistance due to COVID-19 complications

Specifically :

Nobody is really using CPAP or BIPAP with these patients despite what that link says since it aerosolizes the virus and makes it far more dangerous for everyone involved. We are using HFNC, maybe a non-rebreather or intubating. There may be few instances where they are used but they require a negative pressure room to use. We are not lacking in CPAP machines.

EDIT:

fyi I am a physician taking care of COVID patients.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I know this place just LOVES to shit on Elon, so I'm sure this won't get much attention.

www.fda.gov

Recommendations for health care providers and facilities in treating patients who require ventilation assistance due to COVID-19 complications

Specifically :
I'll threadmark it because it's relevant. But... there's still a big risk if the CPAP is expelling users' air into the room, unfiltered, I would think.

Oct 30, 2017

www.fda.gov

Specifically :
"Ventilating patients with communicable diseases using devices that are single limb or noninvasive without a filtered seal from atmosphere may contaminate the room air and increase risk of transmission. This risk may be exacerbated by high-flow nasal cannula systems or CPAP machines."

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Holy shit, how does this happen?

When you're a cheapskate billionaire who often does the bare minimum to show that he's helping people (CPAP machines are MUCH cheaper than ventilators)

This reminds me of the time Mike Pence showed his support for the Jewish community after the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting by bringing up a Messianic Jew Rabbi.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

www.fda.gov

Specifically :
Did you read the rest of that article?

Ventilating patients with communicable diseases using devices that are single limb or noninvasive without a filtered seal from atmosphere may contaminate the room air and increase risk of transmission. This risk may be exacerbated by high-flow nasal cannula systems or CPAP machines.

It puts medical staff already suffering from an acute shortage of PPE at risk.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
i hate clicking threads about news and its random twitter speculation (from a twitter dedicated to going after elon it no less)

now we got people googling medical advice and trying to tell us what is right

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about Musk or his shenanigans, I just wanted to say that some hospitals are experimenting with CPAP as alternative treatment to ventilators due to them being less extreme. They don't require intubation which itself requires lots of medicine to keep the patient stable. The fact that he called them ventilators is stupid af but with the way things are going they might not be a completely wasted resource if the hospitals are willing to use them.

Some more info on CPAP and how they can be used: https://youtu.be/WExIqWUvQyY?t=733

Edit: Looking at some replies above to other posting similar info, sounds like consumer level CPAP is not ideal and I'm curious if they'd be useful at all given the spreading risk they cause.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019

www.fda.gov

Specifically :
Yep. It's better than nothing. But people that contribute nothing will still shit on those who try to do something. It's a cycle.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Do we really think it was Elon doing this personally or that he assigned it to someone who is now going to get fired over this.

OP
OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
i hate clicking threads about news and its random twitter speculation (from a twitter dedicated to going after elon it seems)
No.
The device is shown in the photo. I have the exact same one.
The ventilator device is different. It is NOT in that photo.
There's no speculation. It's a CPAP. 100%.

Edit: I also provided links to the vendor's item pages.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Staring-Confused-Ron-Swanson.gif

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't a CPAP shortage so people saying this is great and helps a bunch aren't really on the ball here. CPAPs are a last resort that are completely out of sync with the other supply limits at play right now. They put caregivers at massive risk.

They still help people breath. At this point you take it over nothing.

the whole increasing the spread of the disease during a N95 mask shortage thing doesn't bother you huh

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
i hate clicking threads about news and its random twitter speculation (from a twitter dedicated to going after elon it no less)

The first tweet was a guess based on the price and number but the second shows the medical staff actually unpacking the boxes and finding CPAPs inside.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. It's better than nothing. But people that contribute nothing will still shit on those who try to do something. It's a cycle.
Yeah, they obviously aren't as useful or a direct replacement for ventilators. But what I've seen is that it can free up ventilators from recovering patients. Full disclosure I don't work in health care, I'm just sitting my ass at home.

I'm currently printing basic PPE to distribute at my local hospital at the rate of 1 mask every 7 hours. I've had irl friends tell me I'm wasting my time, when I'm just sitting at home anyway. I don't get the mentality.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

Are you questioning the photograph or something? It's from here, where elon pats himself on the back for a job well done

Are you questioning whether or not those are actually CPAP machines or ventilators? Because the OP shows that they're actually CPAP machines, and not ventilators.

"googling medical advice" apparently means "reading the actual FDA emergency guidance on handling ventilator shortages" which is something Elon kind of skimmed at best in this scenario.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno enough about these things to really comment. I don't like Elon, like at all, but at least it seems like he was trying to help? (Even if he fucked up).

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go launch yourself to the moon Elon and never come back.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Ventilating patients with communicable diseases using devices that are single limb or noninvasive without a filtered seal from atmosphere may contaminate the room air and increase risk of transmission. This risk may be exacerbated by high-flow nasal cannula systems or CPAP machines."

That isn't a recommendation against using the machines, it's a recommendation to ensure a suitable environment w/ negative pressure etc.

(as it states in the previous sentence you cut out)

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Yeah, they obviously aren't as useful or a direct replacement for ventilators. But what I've seen is that it can free up ventilators from recovering patients. Full disclosure I don't work in health care, I'm just sitting my ass at home.

I'm currently printing basic PPE to distribute at my local hospital at the rate of 1 mask every 7 hours. I've had irl friends tell me I'm wasting my time, when I'm just sitting at home anyway. I don't get the mentality.
Cheers to you. Thanks for your efforts.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's amusing that he put "Tesla" logo printed on a paper on those boxes.

It's like he's afraid no one will give him more pats to the back.

I hope the hospitals can find some use for it.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Using a cpap in this way would seem to be an awful idea.

my cpap spits out a ton of air...that just exited my lungs lol. it would be like spraying the virus all over the room
just shooting it out like a covid flamethrower

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Are you questioning the photograph or something? It's from here, where elon pats himself on the back for a job well done

Are you questioning whether or not those are actually CPAP machines or ventilators? Because the OP shows that they're actually CPAP machines, and not ventilators.

"googling medical advice" apparently means "reading the actual FDA emergency guidance on handling ventilator shortages" which is something Elon kind of skimmed at best in this scenario.

Well there we go.

Even if it's not the type they were expecting, if the hospital staff can use it, groovy.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine this incompetent of a billionaire existing and still thinking we live in a meritocratic society.

OP
OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Using a cpap in this way would seem to be an awful idea.

my cpap spits out a ton of air...that just exited my lungs lol. it would be like spraying the virus all over the room
just shooting it out like a covid flamethrower
Right?? When mine gets up to full pressure, that air coming out is going very fast. Not quite like pressing the button on canned air, but damn... not far off.
Contained, I could see this maybe making sense (MAYBE...) but... these are not ventilators. Calling them that is misleading and dumb.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

www.fda.gov

Specifically :

thanks for this

dont care much for Elon and his antics but there is definitely a "bitch eating crackers" vibe with him on this site.

dudes got massive dick measuring issues.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
But a hotdog is a sandwich

You telling me a sandwich aint a hot dog?

A hot dog is a sandwich

Lmao. Are you telling me that if you asked someone to "Make a sandwhich" and they came back with a hot dog that you wouldn't be understandably upset? If I wanted a hot dog, I'd ask for a hot dog. Otherwise, you need to be slapping some meat and cheese between two slices of bread.

Metaroo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird thing to say. Not sure what triggered you so bad. Maybe the stuff you've donated to the hospitals and other places are better and work better. I don't know.

Im a medical student who had to work in the wards for two weeks before they kicked us out because they didnt want us to get sick.

Edit: You can suck my dick from the back twice.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
So he lied about sending ventilators just for the PR and sent something else?

I think I'm just going to not believe anything that Elon Musk says anymore.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can they be retrofitted to be better? at this point you take what you can get.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a shortage of CPAP machines like ventilators and masks? At $800 a pop and in general use by the public I would guess there's enough to go around?