• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017

I know, because I have one of these stupid things (fuck snoring, man...)

"But a CPAP might still be helpful, right?"
Maybe... but they have different components, and... they're not recommended because they can contribute to spreading the virus:

yHAoUle.png

This is the CPAP they got

This is the ventilator ResMed makes

These are not the same and have different bits and pieces in the body.
As far as I'm aware, they can't retrofit them, safely, into ventilators, so... what the fuck?

Distance me, socially, if old.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Not surprised that the dude who forces factory workers to ignore safety concerns and industry best practices is cutting corners and embellishing his deliverable.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Musk is all about the spotlight, not about actually helping with these things. Who will he accuse of being a pedophile to deflect from his incompetence this time?

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
It's as though relying on the geneorosity of individuals and corporations when an organized coherent response by the federal government is impossible is not the ideal way to fight a pandemic.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit what an idiot! These would be TERRIBLE to use for this! They would just spread it all around!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Musk got scammed by Ali Baba.

Don't worry champ. It has happened to the best of us.

Ok maybe not the best of us, but it does happen.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Billionaires not being a solution in the slightest? Color me surprised.

The health industry should be nationalized, if not globalized, period.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Well that was an efficient use of $1m. Like, a simple phone call would've cleared that up. Asking anyone would have clarified.

OP
OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
A week ago, he was praised for providing 1000 units to California. In that case, I didn't see any pictures attached. Could it be... did he fuck up that one, too?

As for the hospitals... I wouldn't blame them for keeping quiet. Free CPAPs are free CPAPs. Smile and nod while you take the billionaire's gifts.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I believe CPAP are used for those that are either recovered enough to not require a ventilator or are not sick enough to get require one... So they aren't ventilators but can free up ventilators...

This is on the back the F1 teams in the UK designing and prototyping new CPAP in the UK inside a few days for use pending certification and scaled manufacturing of these. My understanding is the reason is they're easier to get / make and free up ventilators for those that really need them... So feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know this place just LOVES to shit on Elon, so I'm sure this won't get much attention.

www.fda.gov

Ventilator Supply Mitigation Strategies

Recommendations for health care providers and facilities in treating patients who require ventilation assistance due to COVID-19 complications

Specifically :

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), auto-CPAP, and bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP or BPAP) machines typically used for treatment of sleep apnea (either in the home or facility setting) may be used to support patients with respiratory insufficiency provided appropriate monitoring (as available) and patient condition.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Not that they're the only company doing this, but that photo really comes off like a gross (and now confirmed stupid) PR stunt.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
A week ago, he was praised for providing 1000 units to California. In that case, I didn't see any pictures attached. Could it be... did he fuck up that one, too?

As for the hospitals... I wouldn't blame them for keeping quiet. Free CPAPs are free CPAPs. Smile and nod while you take the billionaire's gifts.

Ventilators cost $15,000+ per unit. I highly doubt he bought 15 million worth.