• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nicalis has announced that it will be publishing Umihara Kawase Fresh! in the west. In North America and Europe, the game will launch on July 9.

https://nintendoeverything.com/umihara-kawase-fresh-coming-west-on-july-9/

Umihara-Kawase-Fresh-Switch-Pack-Shot-RP-656x404.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Physical release mixed with a price hike.
I think the game is already out in Japan so no gameplay footage with the reveal seems like a bad idea

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Success previously said the western release would be April 25, the same as Japan. And the Japanese release has English text support. I wonder if the western digital release was only delayed to launch day and date with the physical edition.

Oct 25, 2017
The character art for the latest game seems a whole lot less gross which is nice. At least based on the gameplay we've seen from the Japanese publisher.
The teaser seems bad and kind of injects some of grossness back in

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I don't understand, either. Nicalis has published a ton of games in the West, physically no less, that never would have come out here otherwise. I wasn't sure we'd get Umihara here and it's really cool that Nicalis is making it happen.

In the US you mean. It's more of an issue with EU

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I thought people were only mad that Nicalis doesn't release stuff in EU? Understandably so, but unaware of anything else.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Nicalis has been better as of late, no? I remember a lot of gripes against them (I have some myself, such as the poor quality of their Cave Story localization that they still use in ports to this day) but I can't remember anything recent that they've done to set people off.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Yumi's Odder Odyssey............man, i still don't get why they changed the title.

Interested after playing the 3DS version (should get the Vita one since it has the SFC original), though I wouldn't mind playing the demo, the open world structure sounds a little weird for me. Isn't helped this comes out about a week before DQ Builders 2.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Not sure about the hate for nicalis
But if they don't fuck up the game I'm all in. Super excited for this, it's cute as heck

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Whats wrong with Nicalis?
Ooh, I made a compilation post once just for this question.

Presenting: "The Crimes of Tyrone Rodriguez and Nicalis Inc. (abridged)":
They've been a crap company for their entire existence, but I don't think it's the fault of everyone involved; it's mostly because the Founder and CEO, Tyrone Rodriguez, is a shit human being who has done shitty things. Like knowingly selling their first game (which was originally freeware) with broken music triggers. Buying out Kickstarter games only to freeze them in a zero-communication development hell. Botching an ARG for The Binding of Isaac and open-faced lying about it (this is a complicated one, but tl;dr - "secret content" was promised for fans to find in-game that wasn't actually there, and was then hastily-added in via patch; on top of that, one of the in-game ARG elements launched with a broken trigger). Re-selling the same games with little new content and a lot bigger price tag (I think Cave Story is up to $30 digital now as of the Switch release).

Probably the most uncontroversially bad thing though is the addition of racist jokes to the 1001 Spikes localization. (I repeat, they were not even in the original script!) In a seemingly-deleted tweet, Tyrone publicly defended this by literally saying something to the effect of "My wife is Asian and she talks like that." Since I can't find the tweet anymore, I assumed that he had publicly apologized at some point and removed it out of embarrassment. But no. He apparently now seems to think it's a fucking joke and continues to bust it out on the regular in unrelated contexts.

Oh, and just for fun, back when Phil Fish made those stupid remarks about the Japanese games industry, Tyrone felt the need to chime in that Hideo Kojima was a shit developer and Metal Gear was good "in spite of" him.

I've disliked Tyrone ever since the original Cave Story debacle, but as it turns out, he is genuinely the kind of person whom I feel uncomfortable financially supporting. I haven't bought a Nicalis game since.
Also some issues around Yatagarasu/Legend of Raven someone added later in that thread. And probably more...

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York

Also some issues around Yatagarasu/Legend of Raven someone added later in that thread. And probably more...

Yikes! that's disappointing. Hopefully nobody gets screwed over with this release. And now I know, thanks everyone.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Pretty bummed the 3DS game never got a physical release.

(Also bummed I never caught it on sale like a dope. Hopefully publishers aren't done with 3DS sales.)

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I imported the Japanese version for $52.50, which will include English as an option. That's $12.50 more than the US version, but I do get it a couple months early. Hmm.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Tyrone announced the cancellation of western La-Mulana Wiiware on twitter citing it being impossible to pass QA. This came as news to Nigoro in Tokyo who were still working on the localization and were not aware Nicalis had killed their deal before it was publically announced by their controversial CEO. Nigoro ended up releasing the game overseas anyway with Euro publisher EnjoyUp so I guess those QA issues weren't so insurmountable after all.

I have no idea why any JP or indie dev would ever be willing to work with Nicalis after a stunt like that.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The character art for the latest game seems a whole lot less gross which is nice. At least based on the gameplay we've seen from the Japanese publisher.
The teaser seems bad and kind of injects some of grossness back in

Gross?

Why? Because they drew her with a large chest?

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like at least, as of their Switch releases, except for the no-EU thing, things seem to have gotten a lot better for the company. Lots of franchises getting established and crossed over gives their titles character, and good sales, for the most part.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
RIP

Personally, I would have preferred any publisher but Nicalis. Their handling of releasing games outside of North America is awful. I don't care that I can import the game from the US since Switch is region-free. The point is that since the Switch launched, there have been two publishers that have been awful at releasing Switch games physically worldwide, Capcom and Nicalis. Both of them have had multiple games not release physically in Europe and that cuts out potential sales since there is a lot more exposure in having your game on a shelf now since the Switch has many many more games on the eShop than in retail stores.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Since the OP is currently banned, it should be mentioned that the retail physical release for Umihara Kawase Fresh! published by Nicalis is only for NA. The game is digital only for everyone outside Japan/NA.

Also, the Success Twitter account mentions the western release handled by Nicalis will not have Japanese language support.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Whats wrong with Nicalis?

People don't like the PAL region situation where they just do not like releasing games in that region at all, and any deals for physical releases seem to fall through quickly. Only BOI got physical in PAL last I checked. They've never been good for Europe, but they've been OK over here at least and they've improved their digital presence in PAL regions lately.

Though they have had some dumb things in the past,which I'll list anyway:

Tyrone stated on GAF that Guxt on 3DS (a port of Pixel's super cool shump) was cancelled because he didn't find it fun or worth releasing DESPITE how it was already at trade shows with a positive reception, fully ESRB rated and they somehow had the stupid idea to dump Ikachan on the 3DS eShop for $5 despite being a 45 minute game with no added content, when it was free originally, while Guxt would at least have more replay value being a shooter. This pissed me off because I was SUPER excited and pumped to check out the game since I'm a score chasing fan but because he didn't like it nobody could have it despite how it has way more value than Ikachan. I wouldn't even mind if they felt it would be a better value to bundle Ikachan and Guxt together as an "Early Pixel compilation", I just wanna play it. :( To make matters worse, it was never publically cancelled besides that random forum post. If you never saw that post, you could end up still thinking it's coming soon... Eventually.

They also cancelled The Legend of Raven on 3DS because they claimed the Vita was a better fit for a fighting game... and the game's still not out ANYWHERE. The Vita's nearly dead and no updates on where it is despite many requests from fans and press. 90S Arcade Racer is in the same boat as well with a slated Wii U/PS4/XB1 launch and it's MIA. Redout was kinda in that situation too but the devs have been more open on that at the very least. 1001 Spikes for Switch though, ended up in that spot despite it being Nicalis' very own game, as it was planned to launch in 2017/2018 and it's still MIA.

Those are the main reason people don't care for them, or at least Tyrone in particular. The standoffish attitude he can have sometimes on twitter is enough to make some folks keep their distance, and while I can't blame him for being annoyed with the same requests being spammed thousands of times, the fact he barely answered anything about the BOI XB patch until much later, along with 90 GP and 1001 Spikes on Switch isn't a good outlook either.

Hopefully since they established a JP branch with Pikii lately, they'll get their game on with PAL territories soon enough. Then after finally releasing the announced games, it should be smooth sailing...

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Im interested in the game but from the shit im reading in this thread, i don't wanna support this publisher.... *sigh*....

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Im interested in the game but from the shit im reading in this thread, i don't wanna support this publisher.... *sigh*....

The alternative is importing the game from Japan or buying it from the Japan eShop where it is published by Success, the company that funded the game.

Still waiting for final confirmation of language support by waiting for the game to appear on Switch's Japan eShop but, the Japanese release is supposed to have Japanese, English and Chinese language options.

Whereas the release by Nicalis does not include Japanese.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty bummed the 3DS game never got a physical release.

(Also bummed I never caught it on sale like a dope. Hopefully publishers aren't done with 3DS sales.)

The 3DS game has since been ported to Vita (digital and physical), PC and even smartphone. I definitely wouldn't recommend the 3DS version over the alternatives, the framerate's quite poort.

You can buy the entire trilogy on PC, in fact.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
They also cancelled The Legend of Raven on 3DS because they claimed the Vita was a better fit for a fighting game... and the game's still not out ANYWHERE. The Vita's nearly dead and no updates on where it is despite many requests from fans and press.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say the original Yatagarasu (Legend of Raven) devs have their own issues, irrespective of what Nicalis is or isn't doing--they crowdfunded a separate PC version of Yatagarasu and never delivered on a lot of the promised and funded features, nor did they bother to make excuses as to why, yet the continue to update the Japanese arcade build with new features and content and simply stopped talking about the other versions. I'm no Nicalis fan but I'd easily believe the developer's just as culpable for the disappearance of Legend of Raven as anyone else.