• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a funny thread.

In my workplace if i say i paid 60 or more for a video game they look at me like some kind of alien or something.Piracy is just normal for a lot of people

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
s8TdQyA.jpg

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Should I report myself to the police? I used to pirate games, music, movies and many other stuff when I was a kid. Napster was my best friend. And Kazaa. And LimeWire.

OP, I'm so sorry. Handcuff me. Lock me in a cell. I need to pay my dues to society.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I'm much more baffled at the statement of DQXI being buggy, not liking the game is fine, but that shit is polished to a sheen. This feels like such a weird ass take.

Also yes you're overreacting.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Were you the person in class that reminded the teacher they didn't collect the homework before we got dismissed?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm much more baffled at the statement of DQXI being buggy, not liking the game is fine, but that shit is polished to a sheen. This feels like such a weird ass take.

Also yes you're overreacting.
Lol yeah that stood out to me like it's definitely not a game you would call buggy.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify, my reaction is less about the whole pirating thing and more to do with the setting he said it in.

I mean, would you say that sort of thing within earshot of your boss?
Yes. I helped my company VP set up their pirated Android box since they wanted to dump cable.

That's like, six whole levels above my boss.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've provided links and everything to my boss before

Too much of era is weird. Way too much

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this thread. Don't ever come to Cambodia OP, you'll have a heart attack. You can go to shopping malls and buy games/movies for a buck.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
lol

Just to clarify, my reaction is less about the whole pirating thing and more to do with the setting he said it in.

I agree with this - it is weird to spontaneously say he pirated it in a work meeting when (at least based on your OP) no one asked. Like, why not just say you played it?

You're probably right about the broader normalization of piracy... but it's still a pretty hilarious response.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I haven't seen anyone mention it, but downloading (not torrenting which is technically distribution also) - downloading isn't breaking any criminal laws.

It's a civil infraction. Like not paying your landlord or a parking ticket.

OP is amazed that they are "admitting to breaking the law" when it is worse, legally, to speed or not come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

The possible fine is higher, but copyright infringement on its own (no distribution) is basically a parking ticket with a bigger fine.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Op you're always going to be remembered in the office as the dude who accused Ron of being a criminal in front of all your bosses.

I feel you should be thinking more about that than the while piracy thing. Office politics can get nasty and you fired one hell of an opening broadside.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
If streaming wasn't as convenient as it is literally everyone would pirate. The music industry learned this the hard way in the 2000s. And even now people still try to get around streaming subscriptions and adds etc.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If you have knowledge of criminal activity and don't report it to the police, you become accessory after the fact.

Better haul ass to the nearest police station, OP.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hen, one of my co-workers said "Oh, that game? Yeah, I pirated it last year, but it was so buggy that I didn't get far."

And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud "Dude, did you just admit to a crime?" This was at work, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his superiors.

And he then just brushed it off like it was no big deal. I simply couldn't believe how brazen that was.

This has to be an Office scene.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
at most id be offended if someone pirated an indie game made by 1 person for 7 years or something
imagine being outraged at anything made by a major company

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I know people working in the film industry that pirate their own studio's films and openly talk about it. It is incredibly common. The convenience factor outweighs any potential issue to most people.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
OP, let me ask you something. Do you D. A. R. E. to say no to drugs?

Also, do you wish you could "Take a bite out of crime™?"

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arr! That story be nothing. One briny evening I was at the Salty Wench tavern with a few o' me mates. I was spinnin' a yarn about keelhauling one of the lobsterbellys, may they burn in hell forever, when a pasty-faced landlubber said "Mate, are you admitting to breaking the King's Own Law, God save him?"

I brushed it off like it weren't no concern 'o mine. 'Course, when you got two hooks for hands, ya gotta be careful when you brush anything.

Yarr.