• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Admitting to piracy

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Not as normal as it was a decade ago. But it's not so abnormal that it should freak you out.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
"Sorry I'm late, had to haul ass on the backroads because the hwy was closed."

"DID YOU JUST ADMIT TO COMITTING A CRIME!?"

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus christ OP, way to be a cop. I dont agree with pirating things either but I'm not about to put someone on blast for it in a public space because they pirated a game.

Also yes, most millenials (that I know) are pretty brazen about talking about pirating stuff. Weve all done it so nobody cares. It ranks about as highly as jaywalking for how serious most people take it.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not even a crime in my country. Some people are morally fine with and others aren't. And actually I prefer that way as I'm really paranoic with how powerful are big companies and how strong are their lobby.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Shit, if it's a film I deem wack by it's trailers, imma prolly pirate that shit. No shame. I'll look for it on my streaming apps first, but... sometime... *shrugs*

Dude, like I give a shit what other people do lol

Edit: this may may have sounded harsher than I meant, it wasn't intended that way, hence the lol

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Personally, I've matured away from piracy. It's genuinely satisfying to pay creatives and producers for their hard work. I've even gone back to purchase some of my favorite movies and games I previously torrented. On sale of course, I'm no saint.

If I'm not comfortable paying to access something, I just don't access it.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This thread saved my life and livelihood. I was about to post a thread about how I went 65 in a 64 to get to work on time, but then I realized my confession was admissible in a court of law.

Thanks, OP!

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I mean I ain't necessarily getting on the piracy train but there's nuance to stuff, especially un-localized content, stuff by smaller publishers, etc. It's why I dislike current, ah, market-based funding models for creative works over, say, grant funding and basic income.

The big problem I have with the sort of people who brag about it is that too many of them all but say outright they care more about getting a good deal on the media they consume than on ensuring good quality-of-life for the people who create it, at least until they do something boycott-worthy in which case that last point becomes a cudgel. (I'd rather avoid the media in question entirely anyway; life is short, humanity creates lifetimes of content every day in the internet age, odious politics have a tendency to manifest in the works' themes, and FOMO is a lie motivated by those who desire you to consume media uncritically anyway.)

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, like I give a shit what other people do lol

Edit: this may may have sounded harsher than I meant, it wasn't intended that way, hence the lol
Ha! I know, my g. It's an odd topic and get's people riled up for some reason. I'm just here to let ya'll know I've pirated media. I have a problem :P

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
"Yea so I was driving down the highway 5 mph faster than the speed limit when-"

OP: "Dude, did you just admit to a crime?"

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
OP is the kinda person to tell the teacher when a kid says a bad word
Found a photo of OP.

n8pxgjtj81t11.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
I was at a work meeting about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our Thanksgiving break went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I basically spent the entire break playing DQXI on the Switch.

Then, one of my co-workers said "Oh, that game? Yeah, I pirated it last year, but it was so buggy that I didn't get far."

And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud "Dude, did you just admit to a crime?" This was at work, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his superiors.

And he then just brushed it off like it was no big deal. I simply couldn't believe how brazen that was.

I could understand opening up about this sort of stuff among friends, but at work? Honestly, I doubt he'd be reprimanded in any way, but good lord.

I'm not overreacting here, am I?

This is the greatest post i've ever read on this forum.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah I haven't met anyone in person who thinks pirating is a big deal .

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Well congrats on being more well off than me I guess? This post is prime Era to me in terms of wealth inequality in the Era bubble. 50k in most of the US is higher than the mean average income.

The people in the US making the mean average income or slightly above are not well off. That's kind of a big problem right now and one of the big motivators for raising wages, which have stagnated since the '70s. Who's in the bubble again?

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Pirating stuff is illegal.
We should not support it.
It's not cool to call out people who admit they pirate stuff in front of other people.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Fewer people pirate music now I think, but movies and TV piracy seems as popular as ever, at least anecdotally from people I know. It's spoken about pretty casually. I've seen people make public Facebook posts asking if anybody knows any good sites to watch movies and shows on.

I personally don't know anybody who pirates games specifically but I assume it's the same.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Everyday folk used to hand around copies of ZX Spectrum games like it was nothing.

Not much has changed since then.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, is it normal for someone to casually admit to reading Sith legends?

I was at a concert about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our week went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I've been having these nightmares recently and I've been frustrated with the Jedi Order.

Then, one of my wise, older mentors said "Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a dark lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."

And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud "Dude, he could actually stop people from dying?" This was at a concert, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his co-workers.

And he then just brushed it off like it was no big deal. "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural." I simply couldn't believe how brazen that was.

I could understand opening up about this sort of stuff among friends, but at a concert? Honestly, I doubt he'd be reprimanded in any way, but good lord.

I'm not overreacting here, am I?