• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020

There I said it.

Example, absolute perfection
screenshot_0000012j79.png

Are you listening developers/console manufacturers?

Last edited:

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
No. HDR done properly is the bigger impact due to color volume and contrast. Contrast is the most important element to an image.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Ultrawide is amazing. People talk about games being 'immersive' and have no idea how much more they could be with a wider aspect ratio. Games like Witcher 3 in 21:9 are god tier.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer flat displays because I like to lean in when playing some games, so this just doesn't hit for me

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol fuck no, HDR viewed on an actual HDR screen (like an OLED in a dark room), not some cheap 300-nit piece of shit, is utterly mind-blowing and can only be compared to going from black&whitie to technicolor. Ultrawide is useful for multitasking, but the additional peripheral vision is not really that great.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna try Death Stranding in 21:9 on my 4k TV. It seems like the perfect game for it.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
HDR for me is the best/most impressive over 4k and Ultrawide.

But I also have an OLED so colors REALLY pop.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I went back to 16:9 when I went from the Acer Predator X34 to the LG CX 48. Also plenty wide, but now much taller as well to really fill out my field of view.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
While 21:9 is great I personally found that I stopped noticing the extra space. It sort of just bleed into the background for me after a while. The best part about 21:9 was when a game would support the aspect ratio in cutscenes as well as in gameplay. Those were truly something special and I never got tired of that.

If I had to pick between HDR and 21:9 support in a game it would definitely be HDR though. HDR is a much bigger deal imo

Nov 28, 2017
UW is fantastic and is hard to go back to 16:9, but I'd say it's equal to 4KHDR, and most importantly VRR.

The jump in pixel count from a scene rendered in 1920 x 1080 vs the same scene rendered internally at 3840 x 2160, is absolutely massive and cannot be downplayed at any cost. The same goes for eliminating screen tearing, with no stutters.

In my personal opinion, VRR is most important tech in recent years for video games, because everything else were expected, natural upgrades as hardware moves forward.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
True. I could barely notice a difference in the living room going from HD>4K
But going from 1080p 16:9 to 1080p 21:9 monitor is an incredible upgrade
Watching movies, playing games, doing work, everything is better

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Watching on a big screen with big sound was the biggest jump in immersion for me.
I'm now looking for an affordable 4K projector with very little lag (i now have a HD projector with very little lag).

Anything became more immersive to watch. Sports, photos, TV series, Movies, games.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. For me it has been the most transformative visual/display upgrade I've tried (including 4K, HDR, 1440 and frame rates above 60).

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Yeah I would agree. HDR has been mostly fluff to me that I wouldnt notice if it was on or off after 10 minutes of play.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
It depends on the person OP. I vote no. While I don't have an ultrawide at home, at work in our lab, we have many. Being a graphics software engineer, I have to use them pretty often. I'll take 4k HDR all day.

HDR has been a major headache for us because we want it perfect. If it's done correctly, HDR produces a stunningly beautiful image.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer flat displays because I like to lean in when playing some games, so this just doesn't hit for me

Ultrawide =/= curved.

HDR is a real game changer, I just think most people haven't seen what HDR is supposed to look like because it's "supported" on tons of displays but very few of them are actually capable of delivering the required brightness, contrast ratio and color gamut necessary for it to look right.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Ultrawide =/= curved.

HDR is a real game changer, I just think most people haven't seen what HDR is supposed to look like because it's "supported" on tons of displays but very few of them are actually capable of delivering the required brightness, contrast ratio and color gamut necessary for it to look right.
I haven't seen a non curved ultra wide that's actually a good monitor in years.
In fact the best current one has an extreme 1000R curve.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if we're talking about these elements in vacuums, I'm not at all certain that I would rather have a given monitor maintain the same surface area arranged in 21:9 than 16:9. ultrawide doesn't suggest that the display is larger, after all.

on the other hand, i would pretty much always want HDR support and, while i don't think its a big deal, 4k.

(the biggest impact is still VR, of course)

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the day of ultrawides that are equivalent to 4k resolution, have HDR, and are reasonably priced.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
I have an LG OLED and a 5 year old 21:9 monitor, and I come away more impressed whenever I boot up a PC game in 21:9 than a 4K game with HDR on the OLED.

21:9 > 4K HDR.

Don't @ me.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Ultra Wide being better than 16/9 is a matter of preference. 16/9 is very close to the aspect ratio of human vision (5/3).

HDR and 4K are objectively better than SDR and 1080p.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
SSD > G-Sync > 144Hz > 4K > Ultrawide > HDR > Ray-tracing

I'd put gsync and 144hz above SSD, but maybe that's because I've had SSDs in my PC for over a decade and I forgot what it's like to load games on an HDD.

I have a professionally calibrated OLED and while HDR is fantastic, it's something I could live without. I agree with the OP... ultrawide makes more of an impact.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I believe it. Just screenshots of open world games look so beautiful to me when you can see more of the vistas. Definitely going ultra wide for my next upgrade.

Oct 27, 2017
Ultrawide was fun when it worked, but I had too many games I wanted to play that either didn't support it, or that I had to jump through hoops to get it to work.

Makes for a great secondary monitor though.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Can't agree really. I recently went back from UW to a 16:9 monitor and it was like coming home.

UW is great when games support it, but many don't or don't properly.

HDR on the other hand, really is a game changer.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Ultrawide is nice
4K is nicer
HDR is the actual game changer and doesn't even need 4K to be useful.

One is for good workspace
One is for image sharpness
One is for actual image quality.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried 21:9. It's nice. In a similar way to triple monitor gaming.

But where it's really at is 120Hz + GSync + HDR + OLED. Doesn't even need to be 4K.