• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
https://www.myuv.com

ULTRAVIOLET WILL CLOSE ON JULY 31, 2019

What should you do now?
Login here and choose Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.

Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.

Between January 31 and July 31, 2019:
You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.

You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.

Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.

After the shutdown date:
Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.

You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.

Thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy digital entertainment. See Help for more information.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Should probably redeem that UV code for Much Ado About Nothing that I've had sitting around since 2013, huh?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks for a couple of my movies that aren't MoveAnywhere. They'll be stuck on Vudu now. :\

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Lionsgate/Paramount/MGM will finally get on the the Movies Anywhere train. I know that Lionsgate has developed their own UV alternative but man does it suck ass.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
This sucks for a couple of my movies that aren't MoveAnywhere. They'll be stuck on Vudu now. :\
This. This digital future is a sham unless someone can prove me wrong, and these companies are doing a terrible job at it. When my ps3 games are only playable on a ps3 and final fantasy VII (a ps1 game) bought on a PS3 won't transfer to a PS4, I call BS.

Digital is nice but I don't want to have to log into multiple accounts across multiple devices to access the content I paid for. That is the whole premise of the digital future is to make everything accessible anytime, anywhere, and on any device.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks but as long as I keep my library on Vudu, whatever I guess. Looking forward to the fire sales as the UV Code sites offload their inventory.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm happy that UV is finally dying off, as a Canadian I'm annoyed that it's happening before anything like moviesanywhere is built here. It's effectively been a dead service here for a long time, with only Flixster available and no apps for most devices, so it was frustrating that studios like WB were hellbent on providing codes that were nearly useless.

With The Verge's article on the service's shutdown highlighting that there are no real promises for Canadian UV libraries, I'm not too hopeful that my library will continue existing, so the hundreds of codes I've input over the years in hopes of a service like moviesanywhere are at risk of vanishing.

In short, gg WB, you wankers.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I wonder if movie prods were like 'don't let UV become like Steam' , better to create their own online DRM libraries?

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Movies Anywhere is still missing a third of my library. Hopefully they get their crap together with these other studios by then.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
This just reminds me that Vudu exists, and still surprises me that it has basically everything. (Including my linked UltraViolet library)

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm happy that UV is finally dying off, as a Canadian I'm annoyed that it's happening before anything like moviesanywhere is built here. It's effectively been a dead service here for a long time, with only Flixster available and no apps for most devices, so it was frustrating that studios like WB were hellbent on providing codes that were nearly useless.

With The Verge's article on the service's shutdown highlighting that there are no real promises for Canadian UV libraries, I'm not too hopeful that my library will continue existing, so the hundreds of codes I've input over the years in hopes of a service like moviesanywhere are at risk of vanishing.

Just use a vpn to make an movies anywhere account and a vudu account than you can at least sync them up with google play and itunes to have some movies in other places.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
Lol I wonder if movie prods were like 'don't let UV become like Steam' , better to create their own online DRM libraries?
"Guys I have no idea what this is or what's going on, but it sounds like something like Steam which is really awesome and it's really sad what's happening."

Boy, am I ready for years of this in OT.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just use a vpn to make an movies anywhere account and a vudu account than you can at least sync them up with google play and itunes to have some movies in other places.

That's only worked for a few movies for me. The majority of my movies didn't transfer to Movies Anywhere because the original codes were Canadian. Mostly recently, Baby Driver -- it's currently stuck in UV, when UV dies I think I just literally can't watch it.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
This. This digital future is a sham unless someone can prove me wrong, and these companies are doing a terrible job at it. When my ps3 games are only playable on a ps3 and final fantasy VII (a ps1 game) bought on a PS3 won't transfer to a PS4, I call BS.

Digital is nice but I don't want to have to log into multiple accounts across multiple devices to access the content I paid for. That is the whole premise of the digital future is to make everything accessible anytime, anywhere, and on any device.

Agreed. That's why I'll continue to opt for a physical versions of media whenever possible. Although with games it hardly matters anymore, because of all the post-release patches, DLC and updates, etc.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only use Vudu. I see people talking about Moviesanywhere—I've never heard of it.

Is it better than Vudu? Cheaper? Better options?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I have no options for exporting to other services.
My library is apparently linked to "Sony Pictures" but it seems like they must have killed that off previously as the site doesn't have an option to log in and watch movies any more? Awesome.

I'm just glad that the only UV codes I ended up with were bundled with Blu-rays that I bought anyway, so I still have the disc.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only use Vudu. I see people talking about Moviesanywhere—I've never heard of it.

You can actually link your Vudu any Moviesanywhere accounts ... Along with your Amazon account. It's kind of nice. I use movies anywhere on my devices, but have my nephew my Vudu account so he had access to all the same films ...

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can actually link your Vudu any Moviesanywhere accounts ... Along with your Amazon account. It's kind of nice. I use movies anywhere on my devices, but have my nephew my Vudu account so he had access to all the same films ...
So it kinda consolidates all your accounts into one platform? That's cool!

I have some movies spread across both Vudu and Amazon, so this seems useful.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. So what happens with movies you have access to through UV family sharing? Will those movies be permanently linked with my Vudu account, or will they disappear?

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This sucks. So what happens with movies you have access to through UV family sharing? Will those movies be permanently linked with my Vudu account, or will they disappear?

It depends on the studio, I guess. I know that the movies that were both UV and Movies Anywhere transferred to my friends' Movies Anywhere accounts and I don't see them being removed, as UV wasn't the tie... it was VUDU. If it's Paramount, MGM, or Lionsgate, who knows?

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it kinda consolidates all your accounts into one platform? That's cool!

I have some movies spread across both Vudu and Amazon, so this seems useful.

That's exactly what it does -- but it also registers your content to the other services. So, if I redeem a digital Star Wars film on movies anywhere, it becomes available on both Vudu and through Amazon for me. It's free to set up and link, and it's made life a lot easier for my family lol

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

If you need help setting up a MA account and syncing films, drop me a PM.

MA is a keystore, not a retailer.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Won't miss it, but in Canada iTunes and UV were the only real players in this space. I wonder what format these studios will use now.

I wish everything was just iTunes, it's so much easier.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Shared UV films only exist in the master UV library. If you own the library, you keep the films. If you share someone elses library, you will lose access when disconnected. It's like sharing a disc, only one person really owns it.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shared UV films only exist in the master UV library. If you own the library, you keep the films. If you share someone elses library, you will lose access when disconnected. It's like sharing a disc, only one person really owns it.

That sucks. I'll still have over 1000 movies in my library, but damn...gonna lose a lot.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I got this email today, but I don't get it. I thought UV shut down a while ago in the US, but continues to work in Canada.
In Canada, there's nowhere you can even transfer these movies from UV, so I thought they legally have to keep it alive?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is why I stuck with Apple and Amazon with digital movie and TV purchases. Those companies are not going anywhere anytime soon.

I always was wary of UV. I also hated that some Blurays only supported UV.

Overall, I hope Movies Anywhere continues to expand. That's a very consumer friendly solution.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, I just checked and got the email too. First Flixster, now Ultraviolet. I have it linked to Vudu already so nothing to worry about.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Lionsgate/Paramount/MGM will finally get on the the Movies Anywhere train. I know that Lionsgate has developed their own UV alternative but man does it suck ass.
Yeah, Funimation has started doing the same thing and only using their internal service for digital copies and it sucks. I was hoping they'd jump on the MA train since they're owned by Sony now.

Whew! I can rest a little bit easier. Thanks!
I've only tried to watch on movie on the MA app and uhhhh... it was not a pleasant experience, lots of pausing and buffering.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
well. at least my accounts are linked so i should be fine.

as long as vudu doesn't shut down. im good lol