• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
So I've spent basically this whole past fall and about half of summer playing Final Fantasy XIV. I praised it immensely in my ARR/Heavensward review, especially because of Heavensward. Since making that initial thread, I really spaced out my time dedicated to the main story, and got the vast majority of jobs up to Level 70 while my Preferred Server EXP buff was still active. I gotta say, while Red Mage and Samurai were my first loves, and my current jobs at Lvl 80, I've seriously fallen in with Dancer and Astrologian. Astrologian, like Machinist (another wonderful job) feels so active and exciting. I'm definitely working harder for results compared to Scholar (which I got to Level 75), but the attack spells are way more satisfying, I love the breezy cast times, and spells like Essential Dignity, Celestial Opposition, Earthly Star/Detonation, and Divination feel so damn good to use. Dancer has such a consistent and briskly paced flow to it, and big bursts of damage from Standard and Technical Steps are just the best. Plus, I gotta say I just love making other DPS players my dance partners.
727d970fa745af0d78850c0717eaee65.png
4a9a7d57999d6fda2e6b3383d38035be.png

Going into Stormblood, I was fully aware that it had a LOT to live up to compared to the previous expansion, and that it was generally considered not quite as strong as Heavensward. That said, while Heavensward is still the clear winner, Stormblood is no slouch. I would say that Lyse is, ahem, rather "miscast" as the lead character for this particular story about the liberation of a clearly middle eastern-coded nation, but she's been a fun and charming character since my time in Realm Reborn and I found the focus on her and the growth of her character really satisfying. While there's no supporting characters quite on the level of Estinien, Yugiri has been a consistently strong character and her increased spotlight is wonderful, I of course love everything with Tataru, and, well shit, I appreciate how female-centric so much of Stormblood is. There's some terrific female leading characters, supporting characters, and especially horrific and memorable villains.

Having said that, I think we all know who the real winner of Stormblood is:
18a4c5d303926bd90453bbcf794543e9.png

Gosetsu is brilliant. He's one of the most fun, engaging, and genuinely lovable characters I've had the pleasure of accompanying in recent memory. His introduction near the end of the 3.X quests helps builds perfect momentum leading into Stormblood, and his personal development and introspection provides a lot of valuable material to chew on even in the story's slower sections. Stormblood feels a bit longer than Heavensward, with quite a bit more fluff stretched out in between the major dramatic moments, but overall it was still a terrific expansion with some thunderous climaxes in action and conflict. What it lacks in the tightly paced story execution from Heavensward, it nearly makes up for in its absolutely sublime dungeons and boss fights. Seriously, the upward momentum in quality in the dungeon and boss fight design all the way from 2.0 to 4.0 is basically 45-degree incline with virtually no bumps or stumbles. They feature more challenging and creative encounter design, the environments become significantly more inspired and unique from one another, the way the designers and writers incorporate essential storytelling and characters directly into the action leads to some genuinely cheer-out-loud moments, and of course... the music.

Seriously, given the entire history of this character and particularly what transpires with her right up to this fight, the fact that the final track that plays in this fight is named "Wayward Daughter" is enough to tug at my heart.

Over the course of Stormblood's 4.0 Story Quest, I also took the chance to do the 3.X Hildibrand quests in Ishgard. They're a lot shorter than the 2.X quests, and unfortunately didn't have any boss fights, but it was still a hugely great story that made me laugh my ass off. Are you getting sick of me saying that so many things are among "the best" in this game, or that they're my favorite? Too bad, because Cyr is a total winner and one of the Top 5 best characters in FFXIV, period.
b5e80e1a5e59a9b429f540eb326bcfab.png

So, even with the vastly improved dungeons and boss fights, it's still pretty obvious that Heavensward 3.0 is a winner over Stormblood 4.0 That said, if you consider all of the post-launch content of the 3.X and 4.X patches, measuring the overall quality of each expansion becomes quite a different story. After finishing up Stormblood's 4.0 Main Story, I decided to catch up on the Void Ark story, the Alexander Raid story, Return to Ivalice, and the Hunt for Omega. I enjoyed them all a lot, but I can say unquestionably that the "Normal" Omega Raid is so vastly improved over the previous 8-player raids and so brutally good on its own right that it thoroughly trounces the Alexander raid, and I'm someone who loves the goblins so much that I would personally take a bullet for Roundrox! The endings to both Alexander and Omega left me wholly satisfied, but Omega is on another level. I won't get into the details, but all of the bosses are (for obvious reasons, when you play them) more varied, more fun, and and WAY better to revisit compared to Alexander. Completely ditching the weird 90 seconds of trash mobs and hallway running in the 8-player raids was the right course. However, the thing that stuck with me, the thing that very nearly broke my brain, actually occurred well after finishing the Omega story.

Literally weeks after I'd wrapped up the Omega raids, I was in Ok-zundu helping a friend unlock flying in that zone, and for a brief moment as I was teleporting out of the area, I saw Alpha, ALPHA HIMSELF, casually conversing with one of the vanu vanu. I didn't catch this until it was too late, and I couldn't get a screenshot. I warped back immediately, but he was gone. The fact that the designers of FFXIV believed so much in the sincerity and value of Alpha's ending that he can randomly appear elsewhere in the game world for you to view is just... absolutely stunning. This is a decision so easy to miss, but adds SO much once you see it even only once.

The Void Ark raid is also no slouch, but I mean, compared to Return to Ivalice? Diabolos is my boy, he's my boy from FFVIII, but the delicious boss design and musical callbacks in the Ivalice raids are on another tier. Plus, there's no boss in the Void Ark raids that will routinely and very satisfyingly yell quips such as "I'll tear you limb from limb!" , "Like a knife through buttah!" and of course "The Empire is a cancer! And I am the barber's blade..."
26ad58a50c723d5307d46a06850291e7.png

(This has nothing to do with the Ivalice raids, I just love this shot)

One of the final bits of optional to give attention are the 3.X Triad and 4.X Four Lords side stories dedicated to unlocking a few optional Trials. Both stories are a good time, but the Four Lords feels way meatier, and even includes a couple excellent dungeons. That said, both stories feels like they wrap up one boss fight too early, but some of the concluding notes that the Triad story ends on honestly feel pretty limp and disappointing. The Four Lords story also feels like there was an obviously intended boss fight that didn't make it, but it wraps up way more fully than the Triad story. Plus you get gold like this:
d43300ecc381563dbc9b232edce5a755.png

So then we have the actual 4.X Story Quests and dungeons, after completing the 4.0 Main Story Quests. Even with some of the absolute homerun moments, I don't think the story beats and climactic fights are quite up to the level of the 3.X story material, but there's still a lot of delicious meat to chew on and that final 4.X dungeon is true banger of a finale leading up to Shadowbringers. I feel like every relevant, major character in the story has a lot of value and prominence in the story during these chapters. They all shine, and they all display heart-touching and heart-shredding moments of emotional growth and/or turmoil.

So, up to Shadowbringers, I've completed every dungeon, every hard mode dungeon, every trial, every raid, and nearly all of the Hildibrand material (still doing the 4.X quests for those). With this confidence, I've finally dipped in, and started the ridiculously highly acclaimed expansion that seems to have been the catalyst for this massive spotlight cast over FFXIV at large for the past 18 months. I'm still in the Level 72 quests, so I'm not very far and won't offer my detailed thoughts so far, except for this.

c08d50e8d3cafa775d2ac6f7a9f8dc4c.png
66229cf2361c6513dc28bb022b206d39.png

Very rude, Square-Enix, just pitting me against a slightly hotter version of myself.

TL;DR - Final Fantasy XIV is brilliant. It's the best game I've played since... probably Bloodborne? It's incredible, it still has its claws in me, and I don't intend to put it down anytime soon. I actually dread catching up to the released content and running out of amazing, hilarious, memorable, heartbreaking, and exciting stories to pursue. Expansion 4 can't come soon enough.

Apex Legends has stolen nearly 600 hours of my time since it launched two years ago, but FFXIV is prepared to soar past that already within a month or two, and I only started playing it in early August last year.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Always happy to see more XIV love. I just resubbed and am playing through the ShB patch content for the first time.

I feel safe in saying the best is yet to come for you...

Oct 30, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV is brilliant, but Stormblood is my less favourite expansion in the game, didn't grab me like Heavensward and Shadowbringers... I found the settings quite boring unlike the interesting ones from other expansions.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Stormblood is still my least favorite expansion of the three but it is still full of amazing moments and boss fights.

Speaks to the quality of the overall experience.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Installed the free trial yesterday, my only worry is the raiding. I'm guessing I'll have to find myself a guild to do them?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I find the problem with Stormblood is that there were too much build ups and lackluster payoff. It took 4.3 for the story to met its proper conclusion.
Installed the free trial yesterday, my only worry is the raiding. I'm guessing I'll have to find myself a guild to do them?
There's a Duty Finder for them where you're group up with randoms, no worries. Only current hardcore contents require proper guild mates.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm glad you finally saw Gosetsu's story arc to the end, he's pretty great through 3.X and 4.0 but his 4.X stuff is what makes it excellent, imo

3.0 > 4.0, but imo 4.0 + 4.X > 3.0 + 3.X

Good write up, looking forward to reading your Super LTTP' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α for Shadowbringers

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Lol at Ranjit comparison, your character sure has an awesome looks!

You'll catch more glimpses of Alpha and Omega throughout the world if you are lucky. They go to various places (except the first, of course).

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Asian Zangief is literally the best. I had a great time with Stormblood. It reminded me a lot of Suikoden, which was a really, really good thing.

OP, please finish those last Hildi quests. You won't regret it.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like you enjoyed SB a lot more than I did. I'm still kind of fumbling around doing the side stuff in it but it's easily my least favorite of the four parts of XIV. It's still good, mind, but that's kind of what bugs me about it. It's just good. The stuff with Yotsuyu is great though, I agree.

Hope you enjoy Shadowbringers!

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

Only the super high end content you'll want a set group for (labelled Savage, Extreme or Ultimate). Everything else you'll be happily able to queue in via the matchmaker and the game'll make your party for you across the whole data centre

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Stormblood is awesome, but there's definitely some content I haven't gotten around to from it that I really need to go back to. Hildibrand, the last third of Omega, and the EX trial for the 4.3 boss (I seriously, seriously love that fight), etc. I have some serious issues with the main story but the content itself is notably improved from HW.

I will say that Ala Mhigo is... weird when you try and parse it's ethnicity. There's a lot of brown skinned folk, of course, and the aesthetic borrows from the Middle East, South Asia, and North Africa, but it also borrows from Scotland for some reason? I'm not sure if it's just the English translation, but yeah, there are a lot of white-skinned characters from Ala Mhigo (like Lyse and Fordola), too. I initially thought they were Caucasian (as in, the ethnic group from South Asia) but that doesn't really track either. M'Naago is like one of the only somewhat important brown-skinned woman in Stormblood.

Shadowbringers has more because of the Viera, though. The English translation places them as Icelandic, though, which is kinda weird.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood is awesome, but there's definitely some content I haven't gotten around to from it that I really need to go back to. Hildibrand, the last third of Omega, and the EX trial for the 4.3 boss (I seriously, seriously love that fight), etc. I have some serious issues with the main story but the content itself is notably improved from HW.

I will say that Ala Mhigo is... weird when you try and parse it's ethnicity. There's a lot of brown skinned folk, of course, and the aesthetic borrows from the Middle East, South Asia, and North Africa, but it also borrows from Scotland for some reason? I'm not sure if it's just the English translation, but yeah, there are a lot of white-skinned characters from Ala Mhigo (like Lyse and Fordola), too. I initially thought they were Caucasian (as in, the ethnic group from South Asia) but that doesn't really track either. M'Naago is like one of the only somewhat important brown-skinned woman in Stormblood.

Shadowbringers has more because of the Viera, though. The English translation places them as Icelandic, though, which is kinda weird.
I imagine the Viera voices are based off Fran from XII. Especially Lyna, who even has a similar lisp.

Sambo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Glad your enjoying it OP, I signed back on in September (after a 5 year break :P) and went through Heavenward to the latest patch, it is without a doubt an amazing experience, one of the best for any FF fan. Hope you enjoy your time completing Shadowbringers, it was by far my favourite expansion.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see another WoL.
There are points in ShB that will have you *extremely emotionally charged*. You'll love it.

(Also, Check the little campsite near Camp Overlook on the way down to O'Ghomoro Mines sometime. You might find a familiar beak. :P )

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
Overall Stormblood was definitely weaker then Heavensward. Shinryu was better then Knights of the Round though by far, but the final steps of faith was better than anything in Stormblood.

The final boss of Shadow Bringers is even better than final steps though imo.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doma half > Ala Mhigo half don't @ me

But yeah I liked SB. I think I enjoyed HW more but there's a lot good stuff in SB and I personally think it has some of the best world-building in the series. Exploring the different Au-Ra tribes and getting a look into their beliefs and how they differ between each tribe was great. I think the only thing I straight up didn't like was Lyse (she was OK but felt forced into a lot of stuff imo) and the ending was corny as hell. Also Hien is great (Gosetsu is the best tho).

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood was worse than a Realm Reborn for me. The plot made no sense and most of it is pretty poorly written stalling. The part where it's imperative you save Gosetsu but are forced into a fetch quest chain inside a fetch quest chain inside a fetch quest chain was dreadful. The trials were good especially their soundtracks but man was the whole 4.0 content boring. They were also laying it a bit too thick with their villains' backstory in this one. I get it that the evil geisha is taking her revenge I don't need to see 35 cutscenes about her being evil and why she is.

OP
OP
SirKai

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Final Fantasy XIV is brilliant, but Stormblood is my less favourite expansion in the game, didn't grab me like Heavensward and Shadowbringers... I found the settings quite boring unlike the interesting ones from other expansions.

Honestly, the more I think of Stormblood, the more fondly I look back on it mainly because of the zones. There's a certain dreariness to HVW's tone that suits Ishgard and the story beautifully, but I enjoy the Stormblood areas and art direction more overall. Plus, even though it's all one giant side quest basically, I think the entire Azim Steppe portion of the story is fantastic, and the attention given to each tribes and the core party's development during the episode feels really vauable and rewarding.

Also, I gotta say, the main city in Shadowbringers is... pretty lame I think, and easily the worst of the game's "main cities." I handily love all the starting locales, Ishgard is incredible and an all-timer of a video game city, and Kugane is also excellent especially with how vibrant it feels.

Dec 28, 2020
When I first played the Stormblood story I was a little underwhelmed, but looking back I like the expansion quite a bit still, I love all the Gyr Abania and Othard zones, and I really like Yugiri and Hien, I think my ranking of the expansions is still Shadowbringers > Heavensward > Stormblood, but I still am a big fan of it

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's the lesser of the three but it's still great. Those Ivalice raids are some of the most fun group content in the game for sure.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I think Yotsuyu has one of the best storylines in the game and Tsukuyomi is one of the best trials (all the x.3 trials are always fucking amazing), but it is definitely the overall weakest of the expansions as far as story.

For side content though, I think Eureka and ESPECIALLY Baldesion Arsenal are pretty much some of the best stuff in the entire game, so I'm thankful to StB for that. ShB's Bozja has been kind of disappointing to me, but we're still about a month away from the big 48-player public dungeon for that, so I do reserve judgement. The 3 Ivalice raids are also the best set of Alliance Raids in the game, and it's been also disappointing to see ShB's NieR crossover series fall short of the same standard.

So while I think ShB definitely wallops StB's main story, I've been disappointed by the current expansion's side content compared to the previous.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I actually dread catching up to the released content and running out of amazing, hilarious, memorable, heartbreaking, and exciting stories to pursue.
Even once you're finally out of MSQ, dungeons, and raid bosses, there's yet more writing scattered across all of the game's other activities. Hand/Land jobs, beast tribes, custom deliveries, relics, and even a couple Hildibrand-esque side stories in the Briarden and Postmoogle quests.

OP
OP
SirKai

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Even once you're finally out of MSQ, dungeons, and raid bosses, there's yet more writing scattered across all of the game's other activities. Hand/Land jobs, beast tribes, custom deliveries, relics, and even a couple Hildibrand-esque side stories in the Briarden and Postmoogle quests.

I did finish the Ananta, Kojin, and Vanu Vanu tribes! And I'm very excited for the dwarves~

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
In XII, which was the original iteration of this particular fantasy race, they all have Icelandic names too.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I gotta say, the main city in Shadowbringers is... pretty lame I think, and easily the worst of the game's "main cities." I handily love all the starting locales, Ishgard is incredible and an all-timer of a video game city, and Kugane is also excellent especially with how vibrant it feels.
wha?! I mean at the very least it's better than Rhalgr's Reach lol

Crystarium is a visual/auditory feast. I guess the only real complaint is it's a little hard to navigate at first.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Stormblood's story was a huge letdown for me compared to HW, but it made up for it by having vastly superior combat, dungeons, and trials. Shisui of the Violet Tides is already magnitudes better than any HW dungeon IMO.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Part of why Stormblood was a great expansion is now going to be lost to time, because it did a major rework of the battle system that started XIV's combat down the (better) path it has become.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
Part of why Stormblood was a great expansion is now going to be lost to time, because it did a major rework of the battle system that started XIV's combat down the (better) path it has become.
Yup. This is how I feel about it as well. SB for me was the removal of a lot of bullshit that we had to deal with in HW. With that said, I think ShB took it a bit too far in some aspects but job balance has been great for the most part.

OP
OP
SirKai

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
wha?! I mean at the very least it's better than Rhalgr's Reach lol

Crystarium is a visual/auditory feast. I guess the only real complaint is it's a little hard to navigate at first.

Yeah, but the Reach isn't the main city locale of STB; that's Kugane, which is awesome. The "settlement" city equivalent, like Idyllshire and the Reach, in SHB is Eulmore which is a GREAT locale and waaaay better than the Crystarium.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Having just experienced everything in one go (recently beat 5.4, started the game in August), I absolutely loved SB. Full of a ton of ff6 and ff7 nostalgia without being over done.

That said, I didn't have to deal with sitting at it's end game for an entire year. So far the game has only gotten better and better with each expansion.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I don't have much to add but I bought this on the Steam sale and I can't believe the amount of mostly quality single player content for an MMO. I'm current between the first 2 expansions and have 150 hours logged only doing the main story quests and I don't feel like it was wasting my time. Really love how easy it makes finding a group since I'm not really social and have no interest in communicating with people lol. Definitely one of the best purchases I have made.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
So...do you know where can I get help setting a FF 14 psn account? I can't change ID, recover mine and SE doesn't recognize my mail as linked even acknowledging there is an account from that mail. I'm going crazy.

OP
OP
SirKai

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
So...do you know where can I get help setting a FF 14 psn account? I can't change ID, recover mine and SE doesn't recognize my mail as linked even acknowledging there is an account from that mail. I'm going crazy.

One of my mixups I dealt with early on when getting back into FFXIV is that your FFXIV account is not necessarily the SAME thing as your Square-Enix account. The process can still be a huge horrible mess and I'm not sure how dramatically the problem and confusion is compounded thanks to factoring in a storefront like PSN.

This video goes over some details about limitations and considerations to factor in regards to what platform you play (it's not JUST stuff involving the Free Trial):

OP
OP
SirKai

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Gotta cute new minion, and shared a screenshot of it with my friend who used her artistic prowess to recreate it beautifully:

Eq1S5o6UcAEh3eu
Eq1S6R5UwAAKcEG