• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's considered a conspiracy theory here? According to the transponder, the plane ended in a straight line. Either the transponder got destroyed immediately, or there was zero warning. These things to me are more indicative of a strike than a plane failure.
Good question, maybe anything that doesn't follow the official reports of what happened?

Speculation never helps, best to just let the experts deal with it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What's considered a conspiracy theory here? According to the transponder, the plane ended in a straight line. Either the transponder got destroyed immediately, or there was zero warning. These things to me are more indicative of a strike than a plane failure.

Do you have background on the field to factually pull from experience or pulling stuff from feelings back?

If latter I feel it's bit unnecessary speculation for the thread.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Do you have background on the field to factually pull from experience or pulling stuff from feelings back?

If latter I feel it's bit unnecessary speculation for the thread.
No it's speculation based on flightpaths of crashes (it's similar to the 737MAX crashes I guess), I agree it's not necessary, was just wondering what would be considered a conspiracy theory in this case.
edit: let me be clear I definitely don't want to say it's not a mechanical failure which is very much possible, just wondering when the mods would consider it veering into conspiracy theory.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fuck fuck fuck. I know a lot of people who died. They used to be students at my university. They were here for Christmas holidays and were going back to US/Canada through a connecting flight in Ukraine.

Oct 25, 2017
No it's speculation based on flightpaths of crashes (it's similar to the 737MAX crashes I guess), I agree it's not necessary, was just wondering what would be considered a conspiracy theory in this case.

I would consider it conspiracy theory if you ran with the strike idea and starting coming up with perpetrators and reasons for bringing the plane down, but even if you haven't strayed into the realm of conspiracies I still think speculation is a bad idea.

Fuck fuck fuck. I know a lot of people who died. They used to be students at my university. They were here for Christmas holidays and were going back to US/Canada through a connecting flight in Ukraine.

I can't imagine what you must be feeling. I'm so sorry for your loss.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The crash looks nothing like the 737MAX failures. Likely a SAM or severe uncontained engine failure based on shrapnel uniform pierce damage seen in pictures of the crash site. I'm betting on the former. Condolences to the families of the deceased.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
My condolences.
I have an Iranian friend that works in the US. I'm going to reach out to them, I hope nothing happened.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Better source:

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran will not give the black box of the crashed Ukrainian airliner to planemaker Boeing, the head of Tehran's civil aviation organisation was quoted as saying on Wednesday.
Ali Abedzadeh also said it was not clear which country Iran would send the box to so that its data could be analysed, semi-official Mehr news agency reported.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better source:

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran will not give the black box of the crashed Ukrainian airliner to planemaker Boeing, the head of Tehran's civil aviation organisation was quoted as saying on Wednesday.
Ali Abedzadeh also said it was not clear which country Iran would send the box to so that its data could be analysed, semi-official Mehr news agency reported.
Ok, that's a legit source, interesting turn of events.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst this is certainly fishy, why would Iran want to bring down this plane? And if not them then who? And if was by accident (i.e. it was taken down by force but misidentified as a target or somehow just hit by accident), then how the fuck would that happen?

It's very odd.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So increased probability of SAM. The regime is so evil and incompetent.

They need to pay for people who they have killed in the past few decades.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Doesn't say much really, just that Iran doesn't trust US. They can still send it to europe or somewhere else.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand Iran's sentiment of not sharing it with a US company considering current tensions. This is a case where a country like France or Germany needs to offer assistance.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
They could simply not trust Boeing as an American company not to spin it into Iranian evil over Boeing's failure.
But yeah a SAM is also possible. Or a random militant with an RPG (or heck a rifle if you shoot the kerosene?) who was mad at foreigners.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Edit. Who's this Twitter account that's ahead of CNN etc?
it's wild. the spectator index is an unverified twitter account with 1.4 million followers but virtually no web presence? they have a thin af website with a handful of articles from july 8-10, 2019 where you can subscribe to... something. what the fuck. yeah, 95% of those followers were bought.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst this is certainly fishy, why would Iran want to bring down this plane? And if not them then who? And if was by accident (i.e. it was taken down by force but misidentified as a target or somehow just hit by accident), then how the fuck would that happen?

It's very odd.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility, it's happened too many times in the past.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's wild. the spectator index is an unverified twitter account with 1.4 million followers but virtually no web presence? they have a thin af website with a handful of articles from july 8-10, 2019 where you can subscribe to... something. what the fuck. yeah, 95% of those followers were bought.

Yet they were correct.

So increased probability of SAM.

Why would the regime do this? Just seems utterly at odds with the measured approach with the other strikes and doesn't feel like a strong enough American connection anyway.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I was afraid of heights since I was a kid but damn, I am developing flying fear. I know it is generally safe but jesus christ.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
They could simply not trust Boeing as an American company not to spin it into Iranian evil over Boeing's failure.
But yeah a SAM is also possible. Or a random militant with an RPG.

I wouldn't blame them considering how Boeing has been show to be in the Trump administrations pocket. Government dragging it's feel on grounding the 373 MAX for instance.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Why would the regime do this? Just seems utterly at odds with the measured approach with the other strikes and doesn't feel like a strong enough American connection anyway.
I'm not saying it was a SAM, I'm more inclined to believe some kind of accident, but just because Iran knew their response was measured doesn't mean they know if ours will be and just because there's been no retaliation yet by the US I do expect their military will be on high alert for some time. Keep in mind their retaliation to the assassination was several days after the fact so it's not like if the US doesn't respond in 15 minutes and Trump doesn't make a statement right then that everything is all clear and it's business as usual. Likewise the US is likely not going to stand down just because Iran said they were done.

Edit:. Still, accidentally shooting something down that originated from your capital's airport thinking it was an enemy aircraft is stupid as shit, I know dumb shit just happens but still, I don't buy it.

I expect them to give the boxes to France, we'll know more soon enough.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

Oh man that is awful, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

This is honestly heartbreaking, planes are scary :(