• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
It is to avoid what everyone else might assume today: that they shot it down themselves. The fire also rules out pilot error.
Figures but they couldn't possibly know yet? I mean if it actually is a technical error there should be more details. So the report should be 100% political.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it was shot down we'll find out in the next few days. I don't see how they could keep that a secret
Like how they tried keeping it a secret that they are gunning down protestors in the streets?, Iran will never admit to anything that makes them look bad, even if it's covered in detail everywhere, they just disconnected the internet and ripped them to shreds

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Figures but they couldn't possibly know yet? I mean if it actually is a technical error there should be more details. So the report should be 100% political.
I would say that plane crashes usually go into five categories:
- The weather. That can easily be ruled out. Any country would immediately know if the circumstances were so bad it could have caused a crash.
- Pilot action. The fire rules that out.
- Technical issues.
- Someone shooting it down from outside. This is the one Iran would also know. They would know if they did it, or if another country fired a rocket at their airport.
- Someone taking it down from inside. They can't really rule this out unless they were communicating with the pilot.
But the statement isn't really meant to state that it wasn't a terrorist attack. It is meant to state it wasn't them shooting it down. Iran really can't afford to look like it shot it down. They know what this looks like, so expect Iran to be really open on this investigation.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
That's an insane coincidence. Like, it's already an insanely rare event for airplanes to crash, much less turn into balls of fire, but what are the chances that it would happen in Tehran of all cities and a mere hours after Iran's military retaliation? Gonna have to wait and see, but I find it hard to believe there isn't some correlation here.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for cooling it until we know what happened, but christ on a bike, that's one hell of a coincidence if the two events aren't linked.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, I've actually worked Military and Commercial AOGs. An airplane shot down would not look like that lmao. Stop the fearmongering people.

Bruh, so have I for 10 years. And how is it fearmongering to say maybe they accidentally shot their own plane down? We'll find out for sure either way.

Edit: not their own plane but I think it's clear what I meant.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Surprising amounts of...

6174PsFWJSL._AC_SY355_.jpg

... in this thread.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been traveling Europe the last few days to hopefully get over my fear of flying. Got a flight in 2 hours to protgual and I'm a nervous wreck. I just wanna be home in NYC and never fly again. Rip to these poor souls.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Been traveling Europe the last few days to hopefully get over my fear of flying. Got a flight in 2 hours to protgual and I'm a nervous wreck. I just wanna be home in NYC and never fly again. Rip to these poor souls.

Odds are you will be fine. Commercial airplane travel is extremely safe. The reason fatal crashes are always such big news is because they are so rare.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Engine failure can make the engine burst into flames and made the entire plane like a fireball? Jesus, fuck planes.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Fastest air-crash investigation ever?
Well the initial report was that the engine caught fire during take-off and then the pilot crashed. If the tower was able to see the engine catch fire during takeoff it would plainly be "engine failure." Of course, that's not the end of any investigation, people want to know why something fails not just that it failed.

I have no idea what happened, but it is 100% possible that if the incident happened during takeoff, that either the pilots radioed the tower, another pilot radioed tower or the aircraft or even the tower might have seen it and attempted to radio the aircraft.

There have been engine fires on aircraft that the aircraft behind them in que have called in to stop the plane from taking off, so the idea that it's farfetched that people would know, roughly, that it was an engine failure is absurd.

Of course we haven't got those statements yet, we don't have any recordings from the tower or other aircraft, so it's literally Iran's word right now but it's reasonable that they could know.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Godamnit 2020, we've just begun and you're already awful...

RIP to everyone who was inside the plane. :( Truly tragic...

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
The engine failing can take lots of things with it, but man, for it to take down the transponder it must have been catastrophic.
If the video is real, I feel that if something external blew the plane up, it wouldn't take more than half a minute for it to fall down.
It just lifted off the ground.

RIP to everyone on the plane.

Staff post

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Official Staff Communication
While we understand tensions are high revolving around the US/Iranian hostilities, this thread is about the air crash of a Ukrainian passenger plane that took off from Tehran airport. Do not drift into conspiratorial theories, jingoism regarding the situation with Iran and the US, and remember to check your sources before posting them.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Considering the level of incompetence at play I would expect the US govt to gun down the plane before Iranian govt.
Coincidences are a thing, if it looks like a badly timed accident it doesn't mean it's anything but an accident.

Also planes are safe (says the guy taking a plane in the next few days)

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
...Sigh. Seriously? That's not how statistics work, and Boeing is the lead maker of airplanes world-wide.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with planes, sorry. It just seems like basically every commercial plane that has gone down recently has been a Boeing. I wasn't aware they were the lead maker.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
Engine failure can make the engine burst into flames and made the entire plane like a fireball? Jesus, fuck planes.
This could be similar to the Concorde crash in Paris: debris from runway during takeoff impacts plane/gets sucked into engine, disintegrating engine pierces fuel tanks in wing, fire brings down plane.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I'm not familiar with planes, sorry. It just seems like basically every commercial plane that has gone down recently has been a Boeing. I wasn't aware they were the lead maker.
There's like 2 commercial planes maker anyway.
Boeing is just letting its McDonnel Douglas show...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If the pilots had radioed to declare an emergency then they'd know. We're still waiting for the facts.
I "love" this kind of reasoning.
They didn't say anything right away?
It's because they're putting all their ducks in a row for the cover up.
They said something right away?
It's because they planned it in advance and are pushing the narrative.
Nothing happened?
It's just what they want you to believe!

You can never lose!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprising amounts of...

6174PsFWJSL._AC_SY355_.jpg

... in this thread.

Firstly, RIP to the victims and condolences to hundreds of families.

But a soft counter to your point, which has merit -- it would be surprising last week. Or last month. Is it really surprising today in particular?

Regardless of conspiracy theories - there's nothing even remotely crazy or even paranoid about looking at this selection of facts and wondering if there's human agency at work. We're pattern seeking creatures, built into our DNA. It's an evolutionary trait that has helped us survive and you can't simply turn it off. My instinct is that an engine exploded based on the footage, or something aboard the plane. It's not weather. Could be a small collision with something at about 7k ft. Don't know what. No reports of other air traffic yet.

It's ALWAYS foolish to jump to hard conclusions and it's irresponsible for say a news agency to speculate on cause - and the 24 hour news cycle means that's INEVITABLE and will muddy the issue.

But think about it, you're of medium to high intelligence, are broadly aware of the confluence of geoplitical coincidences here - a Ukrainian airliner taking off from Iran the same day Iran retaliates for a targeted US assassination plot. Ukraine is a country at the center of a growing nexus of domestic and international scandal, buffeted between the two largest rivals of the 20th century and a proxy for corruption from US and Russian leadership.

Their plane takes off from an energy state, likely carrying lots of Ukraiinian energy workers, British citizens, Canadians, Afghanis, Swedes and Germans - maybe an exec or two, nobody huge or they'd be in a private plane, but certainly gas or oil companies and people getting out of the region for safety. The US is busy targeting Iranian energy infrastructure for potential retaliatory strikes. Iran is on high alert for US aggression - our president said he had 52 CULTURAL sites targeted, not military sites. WTF does that mean?

This happened AFTER the Iranian missiles hit Erbil. We don't know what or if the US applied any immediate response to those strikes.

Ukraine already recently suffered an accidental or deliberate destruction of an airliner by a Russian ground to air missile as the direct resulty of illegal Russian gamesmanship and hot war in the Crimea. Then the extra big pollution of the 737 max - the vast majority of the public who're aware of that story don't understand the distinction between the models. They're going to keep bringing that up - which isn't surprising even if it's misguided.
So it could be ANYTHING at this point. History tells us that it's probably a catastrophic but accidental event on the plane. But Occam's Razor is useless in this level of noise to information. We have to wait until lots more information is released and then clarified.

So yes, it would be silly to create a specific narrative, to reach a premature conclusion or to assume agency or malintent, but it's not crazy for a citizen to speculate with the information currently at hand. That's how we're built. We hear an unusual noise in the woods, it's proven safer to assume it's a bear, because the benefit vastly outweighs the minor cost of caution or fearful speculation, even though nine times out of ten it's a falling branch or a deer.

As long as people stick to the facts at hand and don't craft narrative in the gaps, I have no issue with people wondering if there's anything nefarious here, even something as "mundane" as a local sectarian terrorist, a resurgent ISIS plot, or a disgruntled baggage handler or a defective engine component, or a lazy maintainance guy.

Of course the problem with all this noise is that the investigation will be massively complicated by all the factors above, so the more elaborate tinfoil hats will be crafted, no doubt. But I don't think it's crazy to speculate and frankly I'd be surprised if most folks didn't at least sort all these factors and look for a pattern.

The physics involved in those engines are obviously gigantic. If for example a bird strike did minor damage at takeoff, the resulting debris could shake loose later and get sucked into engine cowling - the Concorde example quoted elsewhere and lots of other historical events show that yeah, relatively small events can create massive and catastrophic damage in mid air.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there was a 4.5 level quake within 50km of nuclear power plant in Iran... Like what's even going on?!

The region has hundreds of earthquakes every year, small temblors, bigger events, it's not unusual. It sucks but it's unrelated except as more trouble for a region going through a lot today.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
What's considered a conspiracy theory here? According to the transponder, the plane ended in a straight line. Either the transponder got destroyed immediately, or there was zero warning. These things to me are more indicative of a strike than a plane failure.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Until the black boxes are returned for analysis, no one can determine any cause for this incident.

That includes those tweeting or re-tweeting saying it was "engine failure".