• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
Has to be one of the worse ways to go, I've flown so many times not worried if I'll make it or not. But when something has gone wrong, that must be one kind of terror you never experienced before.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Ugh, awful news adding to an already bad news day. RIP to the victims...

Plane crashes are some of the most horrifying things to hear about. They just make dread go down my spine imagining being in that position. I can only hope it somehow made an emergency landing, though the term "crash" makes it sound unlikely. My heart goes out to the victims and families.

Agreed. Even though it wouldn't be a painful death most of the time, the moments leading up to it would be awful. And I fly overseas in three days.... ugh.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yea but we don't even know if that's the video of the plane. There's always a lot of unconfirmed/ fake videos getting around after accidents like this, it's best not to speculate from unconfirmed sources.
The video isn't fake. He speaks Farsi in the video and talks about the same location that this incident happened.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Iran's military defenses were probably on high alert at the time. It may be possible that Iran's defense system mistook it for a US military plane and accidentally shot it down. Fatal commercial aircraft crashes are very rare (this isn't the MAX version of the 737). Of course this could all just be bad timing and it may of been a true technical issue.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Iran's military defenses were probably on high alert at the time. It may be possible that Iran's defense system mistook it for a US military plane and accidentally shot it down. Fatal commercial aircraft crashes are very rare (this isn't he MAX version of the 737). Of course this could all just be bad timing and it may of been a true technical issue.
Both events could be related but not in a nefarious way, e.g. because of pilot agitation, distraction or communication issues.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
People are tweeting pictures of the crash site, definitely no survivors, the crash site looks like a disaster :(

RIP to everyone on that flight :(

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck no. Hoped for minimal casualties but after seeing that video I doubt if anyone survived it. Brutal and agonizing way to go.

Has to be one of the worse ways to go, I've flown so many times not worried if I'll make it or not. But when something has gone wrong, that must be one kind of terror you never experienced before.
I think statistically (other than the fact that something like this happens quite literally less than one in a million flights), most accidents by far occur on the runway so if the plane takes off ok you can practically think of yourself in the clear.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I think statistically (other than the fact that something like this happens quite literally less than one in a million flights), most accidents by far occur on the runway so if the plane takes off ok you can practically think of yourself in the clear.
Also the impact of a crash during take off is worse due to the airplane being full of fuel.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can Boeing just not be allowed to distribute planes anymore? It feels like their planes always go down

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This plane was 100% shot down by mistake and everybody is dead.

There's already plenty of data on flight trackers to back this up.

These are the unintended consequences of playing with fire that Donald Trump unleashed, just as Putin did in Ukraine those years ago.

Poor bastards on the plane.

Edit this is not a 737 Max and has nothing to do with the problems.they have.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

These are the unintended consequences of playing with fire that Donald Trump unleashed, just as Putin did in Ukraine those years ago.

Can we not do the conspiracy theory stuff, please?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

Edit this is not a 737 Max and has nothing to do with the problems.they have.

Source? Same mod policy for the last topic please?

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we not do the conspiracy theory stuff, please?

None of what I posted is a conspiracy.

There as fucking video of it and it's in flight radar, add a bit of logic and bobs your uncle.

Something happened to the plane mid air, and they don't blow up by themselves and unless an extremely rare catostrophic Hull breach occoured coincidentally on the exact night Iran is attacking the US forces and on high alert then it was hit by something.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
None of what I posted is a conspiracy.

There as fucking video of it and it's in flight radar, add a bit of logic and bobs your uncle.

Something happened to the plane mid air, and they don't blow up by themselves and unless an extremely rare catostrophic Hull breach occoured coincidentally on the exact night Iran is attacking the US forces and on high alert then it was hit by something.

Then post some sources. Real ones

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
That video doesn't feel like a technical issue. AA missile mistaken the airplane since Iran was probably on high alert expecting US response?

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
It crashed near the airport so I doubt you'd be aiming missiles around that airspace surely.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then post some sources. Real ones

This one shows the alt

Img in full.

bnwgYb8.jpg

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It crashed near the airport so I doubt you'd be aiming missiles around that airspace surely.

Very true and imo the strongest case against it.

In part it reminds me of the concorde crash.

Occoms Razor makes me think the fighting and this must be linked. Or at least are likely to be.

Last edited:

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I can't conclusively say this plane was shot down but I don't trust the Iranian government report of it being a "technical failure". It is in the Iranian government's best interest to make it seem like it was a technical issue. Iranians would get pissed off if their own government ineptly killed Iranian civilians on a day when they were supposed to be getting "revenge" on America.

Remember that Iranian government is totalitarian theocracy that lies all the time.

If I had to bet money on this, I would bet on the truth being Iran accidentally shot it down. Commercial planes rarely have fatal crashes (of course it still possible, rare coincidences do happen sometimes).

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
That video doesn't feel like a technical issue. AA missile mistaken the airplane since Iran was probably on high alert expecting US response?

The plane crashed minutes after take of, then why was this plane targeted and not the dozens of others that would have been the vicinity? If normal civilian traffic was ongoing why this plane?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not speculate about this horrific tragedy until more info comes out, please. None of us have any idea what actually happened here, but that crash didn't look good...

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just dont see why Iran would fire a missile at a plane that just departed from their own airport.
Either A: U.S. response after getting shot
B: Iran's mention of 290 culminating in this
or
C: Really, really, really, poorly timed accident. Like non-max 737s don't go down every month or any bit regularly. This is weird.