• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, Play and charge kits, are there official MS ones or just the GAME ones?
99% sure there were official ones as I have one from a few years ago! I'm assuming the battery compartment is the same in the new revision of controllers?

These are the xbox one, ones...they HAVE to fit the new controller too, right? right?

Controllers - Cheap Controllers Deals | Currys PC World

Buy today with free delivery. Find your Cheap Controllers. All the latest models and great deals on Cheap Controllers are on Currys. View our great range of Controllers deals today Free delivery or Order & Collect In-Store.

Actually - what usb port do the new controllers have?

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone tell if the new controllers will work with the headset adapter?

The official pics look like the two 'plugs' are now filled in so won't work? Could just be rubbish stock pics however.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yep, I feel the same. I have myself a Series X pre-order via Amazon so I have a console either way....I just thought the XAA route seemed like a good way to get everything I needed for the next two years and spread the cost. The whole idea is that it is meant to be a simple subscription and hassle free but after this I just don't think I would ever try it again, it's been awful and I know some people have been significantly impacted worse than I.
The whole setup seems messy in comparison to something like the iPhone Apple Upgrade Program in hindsight (which of course controls their own system in conjunction with Barclays here). Thankfully I was able to get XAA yesterday morning with GAME, but I'd be rather hesitant to try it again during a launch period unless it was perhaps done by MS or a larger retailer like Amazon.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ok - ignore my last post - i was totally wrong - a quick google and it looks like MS are launching a NEW play and charge kit that fits the NEW type c adapter in the new controller revision!!

Theorry - in case this is handy for you...it's the US page but i assume will be a worldwide thing

www.xbox.com

Xbox Rechargeable Battery + USB-C® Cable | Xbox

Keep the action going with the Xbox Rechargeable Battery + USB-C Cable.

So make sure you get the right kit for the right controller!!

EDIT 2 - the actual battery pack looks very very similar, and may be the same, but impossible to tell from pics. Given all the controllers expect 2 AA batteries the electrical requirements will be the same...it's just whether the battery pack has it's little copper data connections in a different spot, which I can't see in any of the photos.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I just remembered that my Elite 2 actually has it's own charging pad, and since the battery life is phenomenal, I won't have to worry.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ok - ignore my last post - i was totally wrong - a quick google and it looks like MS are launching a NEW play and charge kit that fits the NEW type c adapter in the new controller revision!!

Theorry - in case this is handy for you...it's the US page but i assume will be a worldwide thing

www.xbox.com

EDIT 2 - the actual battery pack looks very very similar, and may be the same, but impossible to tell from pics. Given all the controllers expect 2 AA batteries the electrical requirements will be the same...it's just whether the battery pack has it's little copper data connections in a different spot, which I can't see in any of the photos.
yeah did some research. Thought the new play and charge was just a revision. But seems for the new controllers you need that one.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020

www.xbox.com

So I need a new play and charge kit for my Series X controller? Or will my current recharable pack (that's in my Xbox One controller) fit in the Series X controller?

I'm dumb please help.

SymbiantXenos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here that recived an email from smyths about XAA telling you that they have an XAA console for you recieved a secondary email yet with details about ordering an XAA console with no credit check required.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So I need a new play and charge kit for my Series X controller? Or will my current recharable pack (that's in my Xbox One controller) fit in the Series X controller?

I'm dumb please help.
Not dumb! it's a very good question and I'm afraid I don't know. In photos they look identical but we can't see the little circular copper connecters that link into the controller.

It might be exactly the same battery pack but just with a different (type c) cable. We'd need to ask someone at MS to definitively know.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Just realised last night that both my PS5 and Series X are getting delivered to me at work.

Might have to plug them in under my desk and use the company's 200mb leased line to get everything set up and downloaded for when I get home!

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Smyths are sending out emails (not sure how one qualifies), saying they'll honour and complete attempts to purchase All Access (if a person still wants it).
From what I heard from a friend who was in the same situation who contacted Smyth's they told him stock online and offline orders was from the same allocation so the majority of not all sold out by people preordering in the store. Yet Klarna would still go through as that needed to be approved before going back to Smyth's website to complete the order yet at that time there was no stock left. So I wouldn't hold at for them honouring it at best you would get an Xbox in the next batch probably after release now if the Xbox tweet is anything to go by and at worst probably just cancel your order which is most likely

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
From what I heard from a friend who was in the same situation who contacted Smyth's they told him stock online and offline orders was from the same allocation so the majority of not all sold out by people preordering in the store. Yet Klarna would still go through as that needed to be approved before going back to Smyth's website to complete the order yet at that time there was no stock left. So I wouldn't hold at for them honouring it at best you would get an Xbox in the next batch probably after release now if the Xbox tweet is anything to go by and at worst probably just cancel your order which is most likely

I have a feeling Microsoft are going to send them another load of consoles to cover this mess.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
I have a feeling Microsoft are going to send them another load of consoles to cover this mess.
That's if there's any to send who knows what stock they actually have especially with covid etc hopefully they do but xboxs own tweet yesterday makes it sound like if you failed to get one this time then they will be availability later date the below is copied from their tweet which you have probs already seen

We are humbled by the record-breaking demand for Xbox Series X and S. Huge thanks to everyone for the excitement. 🙏 If you weren't successful today be sure to sign up with retailers for updates, and expect more consoles to be available on November 10. 💚

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. GAME won't let me update my delivery address for my all access order though the website. Gonna have to call them at some point.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody been contacted by Smyths yet?

EDIT: I don't know whether to be amused or angry: Smyths are taking online preorders for AA again, I shit you not...

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Anybody been contacted by Smyths yet?

EDIT: I don't know whether to be amused or angry: Smyths are taking online preorders for AA again, I shit you not...

WHAT THE FUCK

Absolutely fuming. Fuck Smyths, what an abysmal company. Zero chance I am doing it again only for it to potentially fail, yeah a next gen console is nice but I would rather be able to renew my mortgage without issue.

Last edited:

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
Took a gamble and tried for the All Access again just now on Smyths and it worked fine. Order logged in my Smyths account and order logged with Klarna and have my email with the credit agreement. Might be worth a shot for anyone like me who had the checkout process error yesterday and only received the direct debit email and had no orders in their Smyths or Klarna accounts.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
That seems insane to me - is there a reason they can't just bundle a rechargable battery in the controller? Literally every other console does this.

This argument has been done to death, but it basically comes down to choice. Some of us prefer to use our own rechargeables(I've been using the same Eneloops for years and the battery life is far better than the DS and very similar to the Switch Pro controller, also easy to charge as I've got about 16 of them in rotation across a bunch of stuff so I always have a bunch of fully charged batteries., some like to use play and charge kits.

Simonnnnn

Oct 27, 2017
That seems insane to me - is there a reason they can't just bundle a rechargable battery in the controller? Literally every other console does this.

There was members on here actively lashing their toys out cause the Elite Series 2 has a battery built into it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't,

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Took a gamble and tried for the All Access again just now on Smyths and it worked fine. Order logged in my Smyths account and order logged with Klarna and have my email with the credit agreement. Might be worth a shot for anyone like me who had the checkout process error yesterday and only received the direct debit email and had no orders in their Smyths or Klarna accounts.

That's what basically happened to me yesterday. I received a direct debit email despite not finishing the checkout process. I'll give it another go thanks for the heads up!

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
There was members on here actively lashing their toys out cause the Elite Series 2 has a battery built into it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't,

To be honest it's the only thing I don't like about the V2, and that's the reason I still use the V1 on the PC.

I have a pretty minimal lounge and hate having cables/docks around so I forget to charge the V2 a lot.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Personally I prefer having the option of having batteries than being forced to plug in my controller when it dies.

The ideal situation for me is now rechargeable, replaceable AA batteries that I can just switch out when my controller dies. In other words, never having to plug in and always playing with essentially zero interruptions to my normal setup. And don't even get me started on if an internal rechargeable battery on a controller dies... I was really hoping Xbox stuck to their guns and continued with batteries this generation! Very happy to see they did.

NMNR

Oct 29, 2017
Personally I prefer having the option of having batteries than being forced to plug in my controller when it dies.

The ideal situation for me is now rechargeable, replaceable AA batteries that I can just switch out when my controller dies. In other words, never having to plug in and always playing with essentially zero interruptions to my normal setup. And don't even get me started on if an internal rechargeable battery on a controller dies... I was really hoping Xbox stuck to their guns and continued with batteries this generation! Very happy to see they did.

Are there any details on the battery pack microsoft are selling like the capacity etc? Or would it be better to buy premium rechargeable batteries?