• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
If you live in the UK, you may or may not be aware that there is a General Election coming up, 12th December 2019. You may also not be aware that you need to register yourself on the Electoral Register in order to vote in this election, and the deadline to register is fast approaching. You need to register at least 12 working days before an election - so, with the election on 12th December, the deadline is 23:59 GMT on Tuesday 26th November.

Registering to vote, and ensuring your voice is heard in the General Election, it's easy and takes only five minutes and your National Insurance Number.

In order to register, you must:
  • Be 18 or over on the day of the election.
  • Be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen.
  • Be resident at an address in the UK (or a British citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years).
  • Not be legally excluded from voting.
You can register online by going to this website. As I said, it takes 5 minutes of your time, and ensures that your voice can be heard in the forthcoming General Election.

Last edited:

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got my card yesterday.

giphy.gif

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had ours for a while now. I'll always vote with our allies, but I'm well aware ours will never count due to how much tories there are in the area. Even a sizable portion of the younger people are tory here

Oct 25, 2017
I just registered now, then went downstairs and the card must have come in today's post. That shouldn't be a problem, should it? The registration website did say to continue with registering if you weren't sure if you were on the electoral register.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I just registered now, then went downstairs and the card must have come in today's post. That shouldn't be a problem, should it? The registration website did say to continue with registering if you weren't sure if you were on the electoral register.

Nope. They'll probably disregard the registration you've made just now when they see you're already registered to your current address. Even so, as I understand it being on the electoral register twice isn't a problem.

Of course voting twice is illegal.

Oct 25, 2017
You need to register to vote in the UK ? Why isn't every adult automatically sent ballots in the mail like the rest of us ? Seems weird to me. Sorry if it's deemed off topic. I'm just wondering seeing as how we are almost neighbours.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I've completed by registration form, but I just found out my elections office is not open on the weekend, it's only open during the times I am at work. I fucked myself over by leaving this so late.
You can post the form, and some elections offices accept a scanned copy sent by email.

If you can I would check with your local elections office on Monday to see if they can help you.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
You can post the form, and some elections offices accept a scanned copy sent by email.

If you can I would check with your local elections office on Monday to see if they can help you.

Yeah, planning to give them a call then. Hopefully I can negotiate for a late arrival at work on Tuesday if I can't send a scan. (Or if they can let me finish early, having to travel from central London is the main issue, plus it's a bit out of the way when I get home anyway!).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You need to register to vote in the UK ? Why isn't every adult automatically sent ballots in the mail like the rest of us ? Seems weird to me. Sorry if it's deemed off topic. I'm just wondering seeing as how we are almost neighbours.

kind of but not really. You have to register to be on the electoral register. Once you've done that, you are automatically sent voting cards. They tend to send me reminders about electoral registration updates at least twice a year to add/change/remove people

so it is a hurdle but most adults should be registered unless they've just moved. Mainly students/first time voters might need to get sorted

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you always have to register to vote in the UK, like in the US, or is this a special case because it's a "panic" election?

I always found it strange that you have to register, seems like it just makes it harder for people to vote. Here in Sweden you don't have to do anything, you are just automatically "registered" if you are an eligible voter. You are assumed to want to vote by default, not the other way around. On election day you just show up at your voting place, you don't have to do anything at all beforehand (although you can of course vote early or by post if you want to).