• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Some universities are already expecting to lose more than £100m as foreign students cancel their studies, with warnings that the impact of coronavirus will be "like a tsunami hitting the sector".

Several organisations are now planning for a 80-100% reduction in their foreign student numbers this year, with prestigious names said to be among those most affected. The sector is already making a plea to the government for a cash injection amounting to billions of pounds to help it through the crisis, as it is hit by a drop in international student numbers, accommodation deals and conference income.

Andrew Connors, head of higher education at Lloyds Banking Group, said the crisis has felt "less like a perfect storm and more like a tsunami hitting the sector". Banks have not had urgent requests from universities, as big financial hits are expected later in the year. However, he said that "while the immediate impact we are seeing in the sector is slower, the overall impact of Covid-19 is potentially deeper and longer".

www.theguardian.com

Universities brace for huge losses as foreign students drop out

Call for a government bailout worth billions to help sector survive the crisis

Ruddles

Oct 17, 2018
The U.K. is double-fucked because we also lose a large proportion of European students post-Brexit.

It'll be carnage. I think a good few universities will be forced into significant retrenchment to survive. Department closures etc. Too much debt and too much greedy expansion, see also the boom in construction around student accommodation.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
My uni (work) was already facing financial problems - we have already lost lots of staff. God knows how we will survive with even less

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Won't this affect every major country? At least for the UK it's not due to Brexit this time
Depends on two factors:
1. How popular is the country for foreign students?
2. Are universities partially or primarily funded by tuition fees?

German universities will likely not run into issues because the answer to (1) is: Less so than UK and to (2): No, universities are tax funded and tuition free (for EU citizens).

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this is going to be global, not everyone is going to be fine with online courses. Maybe the impact won't be as big because not every college has students from around the world, but there's going to be a massive impact nonetheless.

Oct 27, 2017
It is the same here in Amsterdam. I work for a housing corporation as property manager and most of the international students have left at the start of the lock downs. some thought they could return after a short while but that hope has gone. They will not be returning. I really feel for them.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah, not everything is down to brexit, but we're still insisting on throwing petrol on the smouldering remains in the new year, it isn't going to be helpful. But some brexiters are happy for the cover they are getting.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
From July 2019 - February 2020, I was a Unibuddy Ambassador who encouraged international students to come study at a UK University.

Reading this, I feel like I got a paycheck for providing dated advice, I honestly don't know whether to be happy or sad about that.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
There's been a huge increase in Chinese students at Glasgow uni, so much so the west end is legit transitioning into a mini china town, which is cool. I guess we're gonna have a year or so of absolute carnage as all that comes to a screeching halt. If all the students go back home all those businesses will just shut over night and not reopen.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if universities will allow us to deffer our studies until next year. The idea of paying private graduate school tuition for another semester of online classes is... not exciting.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Universities all ready get so much in grants don't they? I'm guessing the Unis that use scientific research done will be impacted greatly though, what with them usually conducting studies for projects that may now be seen as "excessive" by Uni management.

There will be cost cutting done for sure if Unis also stop receiving said grants.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I remember 20 years ago EU student grants were paid by the European Union and students had to pay only 400 Euro a year. Then it changed and EU students had to pay full fees.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I imagine applications for your uni will be downhill in general.

How many people are going to want to start studies when they dont even know if the unis will be open when september roles around?

Can't imagine missing out on all the nightlife and fun atmosphere because everything still shut or clubs have permantly closed, or having you first lectures be via zoom.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I am kinda curious to see about how the anti-asian sentiment in the town I went to university is gonna play out when the local economy seriously suffers when they disappear.

The UK is already a microcosm of that.

Pain hardly ever changes hateful minds.

They just look for more things to hate

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I imagine applications for your uni will be downhill in general.

How many people are going to want to start studies when they dont even know if the unis will be open when september roles around?

Can't imagine missing out on all the nightlife and fun atmosphere because everything still shut or clubs have permantly closed, or having you first lectures be via zoom.
A massive part of university for many in this country is the experience. Students sign themselves up for thousands in debt so they can taste a little independence and freedom, going out, living away from parents. If they can't do that, for many the education actually takes second position.

Also, hey, maybe highlighting how easy it would be for the whole thing to go online might make some question why the fuck it costs £9000 a year. And rightly so.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
A massive part of university for many in this country is the experience. Students sign themselves up for thousands in debt so they can taste a little independence and freedom, going out, living away from parents. If they can't do that, for many the education actually takes second position.

Also, hey, maybe highlighting how easy it would be for the whole thing to go online might make some question why the fuck it costs £9000 a year. And rightly so.

Oh yeah trust me, I know

Went Uni 2016-2019 (If I took a year out in between from work to do an internship for my course I'd be in this mess with some other people I know)

Uni for me was all about the experience. The friendship, the nights out, the independance. I couldnt imagine doing any of the stuff we did with the looming threat of a pandemic, in first or final year.

It sucks all round.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Oh yeah trust me, I know

Went Uni 2016-2019 (If I took a year out in between from work to do an internship for my course I'd be in this mess with some other people I know)

Uni for me was all about the experience. The friendship, the nights out, the independance. I couldnt imagine doing any of the stuff we did with the looming threat of a pandemic, in first or final year.

It sucks all round.
This thing's going to have a knock on effect for years to come, regardless of how long the lockdown takes to end.

Oct 31, 2017
A chinese friend who was half way through her masters program has decided to head home, in no small part because of the everyday racism she was up against here.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
This is much less of an issue regarding Brexit than it is to do with uncertainty caused by COVID-19-related travel restrictions.

Chinese students have been the bread and butter of the UK higher education system for years (to the point where an op-ed quite accurately described the sector as a finishing school for the Chinese middle classes), and those students have been completely unaffected by Brexit.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Scotland's going to be hit particularly hard as we rely a ton on EU students. The long-term effects of COVID-19 are just going to be the cherry on top.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
the university i go to is in a small town in scotland that's totally dominated by students. the population drops significantly when the students go home. the university, iirc, has one of, if not the highest, proportion of american students in the country, it'll be totally unrecognisable if lots of them drop out

most of my uni friends are americans too, which sucks

edit: it's interesting to hear about some of you getting less credits, that's not happening with my uni at all. i'm a CS undergrad, my exams have all been cancelled and now my modules are 100% coursework. the minimum grade to get into honours has been lowered as a result of the disruption caused by corona

Last edited: