• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
- 13 500 units sold at launch
- Not a day-one type of products.
- Expecting strong perfomance in November/December with Pokemon and Holidays. Ideal as a Christmas present.
- Compared to the 2DS which's sales picked up after launch with more than 200k units sold in those 2 crucial months.
- Strong preorders for the Switch Lite Pokemon Edition.

- 1.9m Switch sold since launch. Ahead of the 3DS launch aligned.
- Strong year for software as 7 exclusive Switch titles took the #1 spot in the UK weekly charts.

Additional context, Switch sales in the UK :

Launch : 80k
February 2018 : 700k
Early December 2018 : 1.4m
Sep 22nd : 1.9m

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
man + pokemon in november, its gonna be a crazy good year for switch. 40 mil in early 2020 maybe?

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
I literally have no sense of how the switch sells week to week in the UK, so it's hard to parse this result.

Do we have any comparable numbers for the release of 3DS or DS revisions?

Given how soft the UK market has been for Nintendo post-Wii, 1.9m total seems pretty good. Again, do we know how the other consoles have done in ~2.5 years? I expect PS4 was higher. It's Sony land here.

Dolorean

Sep 20, 2019
Probably doesn't include Amazon, I suspect they have a big share. Amazon wouldn't share numbers with them.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I literally have no sense of how the switch sells week to week in the UK, so it's hard to parse this result.

Do we have any comparable numbers for the release of 3DS or DS revisions?

Given how soft the UK market has been for Nintendo post-Wii, 1.9m total seems pretty good. Again, do we know how the other consoles have done in ~2.5 years? I expect PS4 was higher. It's Sony land here.
man + pokemon in november, its gonna be a crazy good year for switch. 40 mil in early 2020 maybe?
It might have already crossed that. It was at 36.87m units sold at the end of June.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As Dring noted, it should probably be a considered a slow start, but one that makes sense as it will push ton of units when it is paired with Pokémon.

Japan is probably the exception rather than the rule, judging by this and indications about US (where the start was said to be good but not impressive).

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
How does 1.9 million units lifetime compare to a) previous Nintendo systems, b) Xbox One? (I assume PS4 is out of reach).

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I find it kind of curious that the original Switch was designed for maximum flexibility, docking, removable Joy-cons, 'party play' and all that, while the Switch Lite has now done away with such features.

Last edited:

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Not much point comparing the 2DS which was around half the price of a Lite and quickly dropped to ÂŁ80 + a game in the UK

ragnarok21

Nov 26, 2017
Maybe it's an absurd question but:

Given it's ahead 3ds launch aligned, is Switch also ahead 3ds+WiiU launch aligned?

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I am reading that wrong right?

Is it saying 2 million Lites were sold WW since it launched?

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Wow!!! Low numbers in UK but it does not surpises me. Better weeks will follow for sure!!

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
1.9 million sketches sold in the UK since the original launched in 2017.

Edit - somehow messed up quoting the user I was replying to, but it's been clarified now anyway.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Seems as though the lite will have a modest start outside of Japan and big sales in Japan (though it feels more targeted at Japanese audiences). Assuming it's sales will be more concentrated around the holidays though.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Switch UK Sales :

Launch : 80k
February 2018 : 700k
Early December 2018 : 1.4m
Sep 22nd : 1.9m

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I find it kind of ironic that the original Switch was designed for maximum flexibility, docking, removable Joy-cons, 'party play' and all that, while the Switch Lite has now done away with such features.
Depending who you ask, It might possibly be seen as ironic IF it replaced hybrid Switch, but it doesn't. Switch Lite addresses what is basically a different target audience, case in point Japan sales where hybrid Switch sales increased the week Lite came out, even though Switch Lite had very good launch numbers.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated to UK, but this is 3DS vs. Switch launch-aligned so far:

0W631kL.png

Switch is currently almost at 37 million as of the last official numbers (ie; end of June). 3DS is just over 75 million.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, which is very curious, considering Japan and US were seeing double digits increases. I wonder how that happened.

This is just a guess but maybe Brexit had an effect on sales in the UK in general?

I wish we would get some sales numbers from Germany because I am curious how it's doing here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
This is just a guess but maybe Brexit had an effect on sales in the UK in general?

I wish we would get some sales numbers from Germany because I am curious how it's doing here.

germany, france, and spain is where the switch is biggest compared to the competition. and if you want to include pal territories, australia too.

ps4 had a bit of a resurgence in the uk this year. i think it may have in germany too? but in australia and spain, ps4 is showing its age. this allows switch to fill the gaps a bit. and france is just a big market in general with a bigger draw towards japanese-made things than other european countries, so they gravitate towards nintendo stuff by default.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, which is very curious, considering Japan and US were seeing double digits increases. I wonder how that happened.
Part of the success of the Switch in the US is a massive nostalgic fan base of people who grew up with NES and SNES after they saved the US game market. You don't have that in the UK as much. There's no history with Nintendo. The Switch is doing really well considering and it's 100% to do with the quality of the product.

The other massive factor is FIFA.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The fact the UK generally aren't bigger Nintendo fans is so disappointing.
As a kid, I argued with someone about which was better, Nintendo or Sega. To prove to him that Nintendo was better, I went around the playground asking all the other kids.

Only one said Nintendo lol

Imo, comes down to Nintendo treating the market like an afterthought for so long. Forgot who was handling their distribution in EU for NES but they did a horrible job.
Even now, the market isn't exactly treated as a priority with some of the pricing and how they're not fixing joycons for free

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Imo, comes down to Nintendo treating the market like an afterthought for so long. Forgot who was handling their distribution in EU for NES but they did a horrible job.
Even now, the market isn't exactly treated as a priority with some of the pricing and how they're not fixing joycons for free
UK always gets shafted tbf, but yeah, Nintendo do have a history of it

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
huh, so this is now two reports alleging soft switch lite demand. i expected it to sell out initially here in usa, and was kinda surprised when even target had them easily in stock after launch.

maybe nintendo underestimated that people want this form factor at this price. or maybe like the article says, wait for holidays.