• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
About 100 pupils and parents staged a protest outside a school in East Sussex against its introduction of gender-neutral uniforms.

Police attended the demonstration outside Priory school in Lewes against a new policy instructing all pupils to wear trousers.

Protesters holding signs reading "a new uniform for nine months is not sustainable" and "fast fashion is the second biggest contributor to climate change", argued girls should be allowed to wear skirts and that it was both wasteful and expensive to ask parents to buy new clothes.

A spokesman for Priory school said the uniform was designed to be practical and to encourage students to focus on their school work. "Our uniform also helps us to dilute the status placed on expensive clothes or labels and challenge the belief that we are defined by what we wear," they said.
"Instead, we encourage individual beliefs, ideas, passions and wellbeing and an ethos of camaraderie that is reflected in this shared experience."

Seems like an overreaction by the students/parents, but not sure why the school felt the need to refuse them entry or call the cops.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an overreaction by the students/parents, but not sure why the school felt the need to refuse them entry or call the cops.
You don't have the right to just protest on private property? Of course they'd have to protest on the adjacent streets.
Let the boys wear skirts too, problem solved..

Should have went with combining the lower part of the previous girl uniform, with the top of the previous boys uniform. Or maybe have the left side be from the girls, and the entire right right be from the boys. That's the kind of compromise everyone can live with.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
School uniforms can already be pretty boring enough. I'd definitely be annoyed if I was a student in this situation .

Not sure why it's such a big deal to the parents though

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slowly face it in. Start with the first year students

Those twitter comments are awful, if they were consistent they'd be fighting against 99% of schools in the UK that force boys to wear trousers. They're not against that though, they're just transphobic boomers

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I can understand low-income parents being upset about having to buy new uniforms, but I imagine a lot of bigots are just going to use the cost/environmental reasons as an excuse to, well, be bigoted.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
School uniforms can already be pretty boring enough. I'd definitely be annoyed if I was a student in this situation .

They're supposed to be boring. If for nothing else, so that there is a uniform look between the students and the poorer students don't have to try to compete fashionwise at school or be bullied for it.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't announced before the summer so that people would have known what was expected when they got new uniforms for the term though.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand low-income parents being upset about having to buy new uniforms, but I imagine a lot of bigots are just going to use the cost/environmental reasons as an excuse to, well, be bigoted.

Maybe, but we're talking about girls wearing trousers here. I don't think even the most bigoted bigots still care about that.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Those twitter comments are awful, if they were consistent they'd be fighting against 99% of schools in the UK that force boys to wear trousers. They're not against that though, they're just transphobic boomers

Article says they did start by phasing it in, with new students from 2017 all having to wear trousers.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Article says they did start by phasing it in, with new students from 2017 all having to wear trousers.

What the fuck are they complaining about then lol. If they were for choice they'd be protesting uniforms all together.

I guess I could see the case for poorer families that would hand down the clothes between generations, but the school should be supplying them with the clothes anyway

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
User Warned: Inappropriate commentary
Wouldn't getting school girls wear trousers be good safeguarding? There are bad people out there. I'm not suggesting they start wearing burkhas or anything, but as a parent of a little girl, I'd probably rather she wear trousers. There are bad people out there with camera phones, for instance.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Just have a uniform policy including skirts and trousers, but assign no gender restrictions on them.
How is this so difficult?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just have a uniform policy including skirts and trousers, but assign no gender restrictions on them.
How is this so difficult?

That's unfair on boys because they don't get to wear shorter things in warmer months (because a lot of teenage boys won't want to wear skirts, even if era forgets this).

If skirts are allowed, shorts need to be too. I'm fine with the decision going either way (trousers only or shorts and skirts allowed).

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Uniforms are a way for children to understand dress code in workplace life. You can't wear whatever you want to work, so you better get used to it now.

We all rebelled again school uniforms when we were kids in some form or another but these protests are dumb as shit.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This isn't to do with transgender bigotry, no matter how Twitter alt-right tries to twist it.

It's about young students wearing short skirts. It's implied in the quote "concentrate on schoolwork". British schools have always struggled with how fucking short some girls wear their skirt.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
I'm baffled by the argument. Parents have to buy uniforms for their kids every year anyway (you know, kids grow!), so how is a change in dress style "wasteful"?

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't to do with transgender bigotry, no matter how Twitter alt-right tries to twist it.

It's about young students wearing short skirts. It's implied in the quote "concentrate on schoolwork". British schools have always struggled with how fucking short some girls wear their skirt.

Yeah this is definately it. I suppose have a knee lenght restriction, but they just hike them up anyway. There are alway mini-fads in how the uniforms are worn anyway. Kids find ways to jazz them up by wearing stuff in certain ways, then its the "new" cool way of wearing your uniform.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved school uniforms; no need to think about what to wear or have other judge what you're wearing, just grab a clean uniform and you're done.

Yep, my kid has always been a terror when it came to clothes. Even when she was 1 and a half she'd want to wear what she wanted to wear, her favourite phrase is "its my body". she wreaks my head.

So having a uniform is great.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm baffled by the argument. Parents have to buy uniforms for their kids every year anyway (you know, kids grow!), so how is a change in dress style "wasteful"?
The bolded isn't the case. Uniforms can be passed down to siblings, and if the child grows enough during the previous year a new uniform might be purchased close to the end of the year with the idea being that it can be used at the beginning of the next school year. In addition, not all children grow significantly between years and a new uniform may not be needed.

I agree that most parents would buy a new uniform at the beginning of the academic year, but particularly for those in a low income household being required to purchase a new uniform when there are already uniforms which fit can be an unnecessary burden given the already high cost of returning to school without it.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
Then the solution is the same as my school:

Uniform for boys with trousers for summer and the uniform for girls with skirts and optional pants for winter.

That way everyone wins.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
there's what's happening at the school, which seems to be mostly about short skirts being an issue and then there's what Piers Morgan and his ilk have to say

Looking at photos of the pupils, the skirts and trousers look standard / not expensive, when I was at school the only expensive items where the ties and blazers since they were particular but a black pair of trousers fitting the bill could be found at a number of shops. The skirts in the photos aren't exactly the same between pupils so the expense argument can do one and the old skirts can go to charity.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
The bolded isn't the case. Uniforms can be passed down to siblings, and if the child grows enough during the previous year a new uniform might be purchased close to the end of the year with the idea being that it can be used at the beginning of the next school year. In addition, not all children grow significantly between years and a new uniform may not be needed.

I agree that most parents would buy a new uniform at the beginning of the academic year, but particularly for those in a low income household being required to purchase a new uniform when there are already uniforms which fit can be an unnecessary burden given the already high cost of returning to school without it.

Perhaps they can reuse some with careful management, but I suspect it would be a small minority because it's tricky to achieve.
IMO the better focus would be on standardising uniforms across schools. That would reduce waste and lower cost (and get rid of the house colours snobbery to boot).

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they're just saying girls can't wear skirts any more? I don't get why you'd take away options like that, but I wore trousers plenty of times when I went to school. Sometimes it was just a bit too windy or cold for skirts.

Everyone knows women look better in suits than men, anyway. 😎

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
There have been enough studies that show that wearing a uniform at school has good benefits such as improved concentration and less bullying between students that this is never going to be an option on the table.
UK 33 year old. I get the point but when I went to school is was more you have to wear plain clothes. Trousers and whatever plain tshirt. Sorted this stuff out.

I was talking to a couple of parents at a recent festival, they have a few kids and their uniform layout was £300-500 (I was a bit tipsy).

I've heard it prepares kids for the adult World too; big business seem to be moving towards the more smart/casual for offices. (The day we got rid of having to wear trousers and a shirt was a glorious day, black jeans and tshirts all day every day).

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So they're just saying girls can't wear skirts any more? I don't get why you'd take away options like that, but I wore trousers plenty of times when I went to school. Sometimes it was just a bit too windy or cold for skirts.

Everyone knows women look better in suits than men, anyway. 😎

Isn't it great when "neutrality" just equals male attire for everyone!!!

Boys things can be for everyone but heaven fucking forbid girls things get worn by boys

Just more example of the second class treatment of women's things and interests

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Have the option of trousers/skirts/shorts for everyone. Plenty of schoolgirls feel uncomfortable in skirts so I'm all for trousers but making it a blanket trouser-only approach isn't the way.
I loved school uniforms; no need to think about what to wear or have other judge what you're wearing, just grab a clean uniform and you're done.
Word.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a misguided approach to do the right thing, that's for sure.

But I'm guessing these people aren't protesting against the way gender neutrality is being represented...

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
35 year old UK parent here...

Honestly I think some UK schools have some really twisted logic on uniform...

Like this.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-49592200

A father has said his daughter was left "angry and humiliated" after she was taken out of class because her trousers were "too short".

The year 11 pupil at George Spencer Academy, in Nottinghamshire, was excluded from class on Tuesday.

Her father Graham said being placed in another room with 15 other pupils had upset his daughter.

The school, in Stapleford, said it had changed its uniform policy and expected trousers to touch the top of shoes.

A spokeswoman said: "The academy has updated its uniform policy to bring it in line with other schools. We don't make exceptions for any pupils."

Trousers showing a bit of ankle? GTFO ... Let's isolate the kid...

Why does having your trousers 10mm too short affect the kids ability to learn... Or blue hair, or any kind of individuality..

This case highlights the silly ... Let's ban skirts to be gender neutral!.... When being gender neutral would mean all options for all people .....

My 4 year old has started school this week and he has to have the following..

A school jumper with the school logo (we have 5 of these @ £10 each..

A white or yellow polo shirt with school logo 5 @ £5 a pop..

All black shoes £40

Black or grey trousers 3 @ £7 a pop..

A school bookbag with school logo £5

Black pumps for indoors.. £3

Black or navy shorts for PE - £4

White t-shirt and white long sleeved top for PE £8

Total - £156

And when it gets to high school you blazers etc that cost a bit as well.

So really with the kids and parents on this one..

I don't have a uniform at work... What exactly is it preparing the kids for?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
35 year old UK parent here...

Honestly I think some UK schools have some really twisted logic on uniform...

Like this.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-49592200

Trousers showing a bit of ankle? GTFO ... Let's isolate the kid...

Why does having your trousers 10mm too short affect the kids ability to learn... Or blue hair, or any kind of individuality..

This case highlights the silly ... Let's ban skirts to be gender neutral!.... When being gender neutral would mean all options for all people .....

My 4 year old has started school this week and he has to have the following..

A school jumper with the school logo (we have 5 of these @ £10 each..

A white or yellow polo shirt with school logo 5 @ £5 a pop..

All black shoes £40

Black or grey trousers 3 @ £7 a pop..

A school bookbag with school logo £5

Black pumps for indoors.. £3

Black or navy shorts for PE - £4

White t-shirt and white long sleeved top for PE £8

Total - £156

And when it gets to high school you blazers etc that cost a bit as well.

So really with the kids and parents on this one..

35 with our 4yo starting Monday, too. We were lucky that our school is pretty liberal with what it expects to have specific school branding on. Book bag and tie, basically. We did buy the odd bits like sweaters with the logo on, but it wasn't mandatory - we got most of it from the supermarkets.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
If a someone wants to wear a skirt, let them. This only gives conservatives ammunition towards actually pro-non binary social changes.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
School uniforms change all the time. They phase in new uniforms and phase out the old. Theres nothing new about that. People dont protest new uniforms. Lets be clear. They are only protesting the gender neutral aspect, everyrhing else is a bullshit excuse.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
"1000s of clothes wasted"

A rallying cry for the ages, all the pain and suffering of a generation in just a few words. So poignant

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Since I went to Secondary school in the UK, we've gone from the girls having to campaign to actually be allowed to wear Trousers (yes, many schools in the 90s thought that was a step too far), to going the other way and banning skirts entirely. Neither extreme makes sense.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
35 with our 4yo starting Monday, too. We were lucky that our school is pretty liberal with what it expects to have specific school branding on. Book bag and tie, basically. We did buy the odd bits like sweaters with the logo on, but it wasn't mandatory - we got most of it from the supermarkets.

Yeah we got PE kit, trousers from a supermarket.. and on it's own only £10 for a jumper isn't expensive... But you really need at least 3 jumpers cos they ain't gonna stay clean for long... So it's £30 plus...

The worst thing is when my 4 year old grows out of it we can't hand it down to our 2 year old in a couple of years cos the school have also announced they are having a new logo so the old logo stuff is being phased out and effectively banned by the start of the year he would start.. old and new logo is fine for this year and next tho.

Just unlucky timing for us on that one but ..