• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's ridiculous.

But school uniforms are important.

When I was a school kid we'd have non uniform days.
Where you'd donate £1 to charity and wear your own clothes.
Pretty much every time I was laughed at by tons of kids.
Because I was wearing poor people clothes.
I was and am a big advocate for school uniforms because I was bullied b/c of my clothing and shoes in school. even came home with a broken arm once because of it.

but this, this is some sick racist shit.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm getting it. I'm just being facetious. Personal choice does not exist in these schools regarding school uniforms. That's the whole point with school uniforms.

To an extent. The general conceit of school uniforms is tohide wealth inequality amongst class-mates.), as well as officially brand the students so that people on the street can tell which school you belong to.

Exceptions are generally made though for religious items. In past court cases people genuinely win when they sue a school on the grounds of religious clothing discrimination.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Fuck me. Outside of the pure... whatever of this, there's a lot worse things school kids could be doing. Ugh.

Poor kid and by extension her family.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting it. I'm just being facetious. Personal choice does not exist in these schools regarding school uniforms. That's the whole point with school uniforms.
Thing is, personal choice clearly does exist, because she has the choice of a skirt or trousers. There is no reason why that choice could not be extended to trousers and a small range of skirt lengths. I suspect that that's how this story will eventually be resolved - the school will realise that they're being complete idiots, drop any threat of legal action, and make the single phone call to their supplier that would be needed to expand their uniform selection, something that they should have done long ago.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I was and am a big advocate for school uniforms because I was bullied b/c of my clothing and shoes in school. even came home with a broken arm once because of it.

but this, this is some sick racist shit.

I'm sorry to hear that, friend. School uniforms didn't stop bullying when we had them, unfortunately. We had people getting picked on because of the brands they wore. I was bullied myself because I couldn't afford name brand clothes or shoes.

Oct 26, 2017
Punishing a student because they don't want to wear a short skirt is heavily sus on the admin's end.

These are students ffs, not sex objects.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I went to school in the U.K. and I have never once, not through any school I have attended, seen rules about skirts being too long. Seems pretty obvious what this is really about...

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
What in tarnation is this garbage

Just leave her be, damn. What's wrong with this school?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Brown children are doing it wrong even when they are overcorrecting

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
School uniforms are the worst. There's a way that they can be theoretically be well implemented but they almost never are. It's even worse with cases like these when the rules partially exist to prop up some shitty supplier.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
I got teased for my shit trousers / shoes... so it's not like kids wont find a way.

I guess if it's all got to come from a central source, that would be different, but in my school it was only shirt / tie that worked that way.

Yeah, so we had to all wear the same pants/shirts and chukka boots. I agree that they'll find a way but it definitely helped a bit in my situation. I'm sorry that you had to endure that.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
The root cause of the problem is this word in this sentence:

" A new school rule about the length of skirts was introduced two years ago, stating shorter branded skirts had to be worn."

The school is acting like a bunch of shitheads not because the skirt is too long, but because it wasn't bought from whatever supplier they have a deal with that gives them some small amount of revenue from each sale of school-branded clothing.
CAPITALISM

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I went to school without socks once. I don't even know how it happened. I was called a "ragga man" but jovially. And here I am decades later and I still remember it. Hmm.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
The root cause of the problem is this word in this sentence:

" A new school rule about the length of skirts was introduced two years ago, stating shorter branded skirts had to be worn."

The school is acting like a bunch of shitheads not because the skirt is too long, but because it wasn't bought from whatever supplier they have a deal with that gives them some small amount of revenue from each sale of school-branded clothing.
Yuuuup. This shit is expensive as well, someone I work with was running down how much he was going to have to spend for his daughters stuff and I'd have been telling them to fuck off. One branded blazer/shirt/jumper/whatever should be more than enough.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, so we had to all wear the same pants/shirts and chukka boots. I agree that they'll find a way but it definitely helped a bit in my situation. I'm sorry that you had to endure that.
It comes with positives. I'm relatively wealthy now, but I'll never forget what it was like to be less well off.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
The school went to great lengths to make themselves look bad.

Get rid of school uniform?

So kids pick on poor kids because they can't afford better clothes or wear the same clothes?

No thanks.
With all the stuff kids have to deal with, the hierarchy, finding your place, you have to factor in the clothes you have to wear and where that puts you.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
So long as a skirt doesn't have a fucking train, I don't really see the purpose for a dress code stipulating a maximum length. Seems like what they had been doing, just tastefully ignoring the violation, was the right call. Really this feels designed to protect the vendors of the official clothes, otherwise you would just have the official jacket and tie, with some reasonable guidelines around the shirt and pants/skirt.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Thing is, personal choice clearly does exist, because she has the choice of a skirt or trousers. There is no reason why that choice could not be extended to trousers and a small range of skirt lengths. I suspect that that's how this story will eventually be resolved - the school will realise that they're being complete idiots, drop any threat of legal action, and make the single phone call to their supplier that would be needed to expand their uniform selection, something that they should have done long ago.
That would be a reasonable solution.
To an extent. The general conceit of school uniforms is tohide wealth inequality amongst class-mates.), as well as officially brand the students so that people on the street can tell which school you belong to.

Exceptions are generally made though for religious items. In past court cases people genuinely win when they sue a school on the grounds of religious clothing discrimination.
Yes, it does seem like others have won cases like this in the UK. The solution is above seems to be an easy way out of court expenses and embarrasment.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This is 100% politically, religiously, and racially motivated.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Which makes it a really easy way to see that she isn't wearing the approved uniform.
Well yes. If she's wearing a long one and no long ones are approved, of course it's visible. Still not a profit thing as you mentioned.

Ideally the school should approve some long skirt versions, the supplier should sell them, and then we can argue whether she wants to wear the supplier provided long one vs. her own long one as a profit motive.

Here in the US in some school districts that have uniform requirements lots of local stores sell approved items in the appropriate colors/lengths/styles. So you can go to lots of stores and get clothes that have stickers/tags on them as approved. That way there's a tiny bit of variety but they all have to adhere to price points/limitations on design/style. And, very importantly, they have to be available in a wide size range, so there's no "your kid is too heavy/tall to wear the fancy brand that only makes super slim versions of their dress".

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020
When I was in school (about 12 years ago now), all the girls wore ankle length skirts and long sleeved shirts/sweaters. Boys wore full suits and ties.

When did wearing a long skirt become an issue? It's ridiculous to require school kids to wear short skirts.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It's going to be pretty clear cut, exemptions are offered regularly based on social/cultural issues across the country, and that is the advice given by DoE too, I believe. Not exactly sure why the school would go so far to do this (Racism/Bigotry don't seem likely given she is wearing other religious clothing) so the most reasonable answer would be that they don't have an approved supplier for a longer skirt, so they are worried about the money from their contracts...

You can take someone to court for not going to school?

Yes, in serious cases can result in imprisonment (For the parents) ((You can opt to home school, but I believe there are checks in place and has to be pre-arranged etc))

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
LOL what is this? She's being punished for a skirt that is too long???

How the school is unable to accommodate something so minor and inconsequential is baffling.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone saying that school uniforms are a bad idea clearly never grew up with them, or was never bullied for being one of the poor kids. They're important.

But enforcing rules like these, where students are required to wear branded clothing, and the brand does not have options for Muslims, is clearly not okay.
Frankly, I don't like the idea of someone's religion making these demands of someone, but that's an entirely different problem. She's dressed just like any of the Muslim girls were at the schools I went to, and no-one had a problem with that.
The only time I can remember there ever being an "issue" was when one of my friends decided to start wearing a pinafore rather than a skirt, but it was permitted within the dress code - it's just that no-one chose to wear one. And that was the end of it.

The rules for uniforms should be that a skirt has to be black and no shorter than a certain length; e.g. must be worn to reach the knees, but anything longer is permitted.
Requiring branded clothing, beyond a specific tie or patch/trim to be sewn onto a blazer, is completely unacceptable for public schooling.
At best, these rules are extremely short-sighted and based on trying to make a profit off the uniforms - which should not be permitted. At worst, it comes off as Islamophobic. Neither is a good look.
But it also doesn't surprise me at all that this would happen, after my encounters with head teachers/school management. You have to wonder how some of them ever managed to end up in the position, and they certainly let that 'power' get to their heads.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a stupid decision. I don't have a problem whatsoever with a strict school uniform policy, it's a good thing. However this is escalated to stupidity. Have a minimum skirt length so girls can choose and branding on anything but a blazer or tie is way overboard and stupid.

anamika

May 18, 2018
She should modify the trousers to look more skirt like(Wider base at the bottoms) and then wear those to school if there are no other options....

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Where is the Daily Mail and Gammon outrage over th.........................................ohhhhhhhhhhh

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more ridiculous that she doesn't just wear trousers.
But maybe that's also against their religious beliefs?

How about she just gets to wear whatever she wants to wear? It's really not that hard. A skirt is still a skirt regardless of whether it's a mini, a midi or a maxi and both boys and girls should be able to define their uniforms as they choose - whether they want to wear shorts, trousers or skirts of any length.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Get rid of school uniform?

So kids pick on poor kids because they can't afford better clothes or wear the same clothes?

No thanks.
Costs of uniforms on the other hand also acts as a barrier for the poor.

Well yes. If she's wearing a long one and no long ones are approved, of course it's visible. Still not a profit thing as you mentioned.
She wouldn't be punished for a skirt too long if there wasn't a financial motive in the kids wearing a branded school uniform.

How about she just gets to wear whatever she wants to wear? It's really not that hard. A skirt is still a skirt regardless of whether it's a mini, a midi or a maxi and both boys and girls should be able to define their uniforms as they choose - whether they want to wear shorts, trousers or skirts of any length.
Well, explicitly, uniforms are about kids not getting a choice.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, explicitly, uniforms are about kids not getting a choice.

No they're not. Uniforms are explicitly used because they're meant to look smart and tidy. You wear the uniform, you represent the school, and they don't want to be represented by a scraggy kid. That's why they're so particular about your tie being worn properly and keeping your uniform clean.

There's nothing unkempt about a skirt that reaches your ankles and I went to a Catholic school myself and while they had a minimum skirt length requirement they definitely didn't have a maximum skirt length requirement as well. I can't imagine how pissed the parents would've been when I was a kid if the teachers had been, like, "your skirt needs to cover your arse but it can't cover your knees".

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
This is dumb.

At my school we only had to pay for a school sweater with the logo on and it was subsidised for poor families who couldn't buy one like one of my friends. We were free to wear any kind of black/grey trousers and any kind of smartwear shoes. Pretty useful cos i'd wear them for funerals/weddings too lol. I don't think we even had skirts as an option in Junior/Senior school. If we did i didn't ever wear one and no other girl did either.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
As someone NOT from a Muslim background, I sense an element of Islamophobia in this story. They're using this kid as a wedge for their personal problems. I feel really bad for the kid.
Yup. I got really fucking lucky that the head of my high school at the time worked hard to foster an environment where everyone was welcome (and his frequent trips to the Indian subcontinent really helped with that). But from my own primary school experiences, and what I've heard from others, there's a lot of racism among higher ups in schools.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Yeah, the skirt length should definitely not be a problem here.

It's weird how it's the other way around for boys. In 2017, a group of school boys protested because they were not allowed to wear shorts in the hot summers and instead had to wear trousers. They protested by wearing skirts.

www.theguardian.com

Teenage boys wear skirts to school to protest against 'no shorts' policy

Dozens of pupils at Isca academy in Exeter stage uniform protest after school insists they wear trousers despite heatwave

When they protested that the girls were allowed bare legs, the school – no doubt joking – said the boys were free to wear skirts too if they chose. So on Wednesday, a handful braved the giggles and did so. The scale of the rebellion increased on Thurday, when at least 30 boys opted for the attire.

The mother of one of the boys who began the protest said she was proud of him. Claire Lambeth, 43, said her son Ryan, 15, had come home earlier in the week complaining about the heat. "He said it was unbearable. I spoke to a teacher to ask about shorts and she said it was school policy [that they could not be worn]. I did say this was exceptional weather, but they were having none of it. If girls can wear skirts, why can't boys wear shorts?

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
This is because she isn't wearing a particular brand that the school sides with.

It's bullshit and indefensible. I had to deal with the same stuff growing up.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is ludicrous and all about the branding/contract with the clothing supplier. Kicking a girl out of school because her skirt is a couple of inches too long and thus not the approved uniform is just weird. It's like, at my school (25+ years ago) we had black blazers with the school logo on, but were free to pick and choose anything else as long as it was vaguely the right colour, smart shoes rather than trainers, girls had a minimum length for skirts but could choose trousers instead.
My daughter is in school uniform and it's pretty similar. There's a variety they can wear within a guide of colours, but all the local supermarkets sell variants of it at different prices. The only specific branded thing they have is on sweaters/cardigans with a small school logo on the front. Putting the whole 'your skirt must be our specific branded one' rather than just a minimum length and a colour is stupid. Who can tell given that kids can vary wildly in height in the same peer group anyway.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, the skirt length should definitely not be a problem here.

It's weird how it's the other way around for boys. In 2017, a group of school boys protested because they were not allowed to wear shorts in the hot summers and instead had to wear trousers. They protested by wearing skirts.

www.theguardian.com

Teenage boys wear skirts to school to protest against 'no shorts' policy

Dozens of pupils at Isca academy in Exeter stage uniform protest after school insists they wear trousers despite heatwave
We had the same argument about shorts in the 90s too at my school, but the answer was a less pithy 'wear a skirt if you want' and a more draconian 'we're getting you ready for business dress'.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm sure the supplier can accommodate to provide a skirt suitable for the student in question, if asked, but I don't think that's the solution the school wants to arrive to. Also, it's weird to see a student being punished because her skirt was too long...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Punishing a student because they don't want to wear a short skirt is heavily sus on the admin's end.

These are students ffs, not sex objects.
These aren't 'short skirts' as in above the knee, the story states 'shorter skirt'. Her dad say the ankle length skirt she has been wearing is 'a few cm longer than her classmates', so from that it sounds like the branded one being promoted (literally in this case) is a pretty standard shin-length school one. Doesn't make the school's decision to say she can't come back until she wears it, before threatening to take the father to court over not sending her to school when she refuses, any less ridiculous though. Especially when teenagers vary wildly in height even in the same year, and policing a few cm of skirt length below the knee seem like an exercise in making money rather than a point of principle about everyone adhering to the school uniform guide. I mean, she's been wearing it for years and nobody noticed or minded. Her sisters wore it too. Looks like it's paired with a blouse, school tie and blazer with a school badge anyway. Why on earth is this an issue worth making a fuss over now? It just stinks of profit rather than reason. if loads of other girls want to wear smart ankle length skirts in the right colour too, why not let them.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I can get the regulations that a skirt must not be shorted than a particular length. I can't see how a skirt being longer than the stated length is a problem unless it's dragging on the floor and is a safety issue (which it obviously isn't). I'd be interested in reading why they didn't want to go the trouser route though. That seems like it would be the path that satisfied the issues for both parties. That it's gotten this far and gone to court proceedings is nonsense though imo.
The skirt in question

1200.jpg
the school has a problem with skirts but lets the kids wear AF1s?