• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
www.theguardian.com

School threatens legal action after Muslim girl told skirt is ‘too long’

Siham Hamud, 12, refused to wear shorter skirt and now parents face court over unauthorised absences

The parents of a Muslim girl who was sent home from school for wearing a skirt that was deemed "too long" are being threatened with legal action.

Siham Hamud, 12, described being bullied for her religious beliefs after being sent home every day in December from Uxbridge high school in Hillingdon, Middlesex, and told to only come back when she wore a shorter skirt.
She had been wearing an ankle-length skirt to school for years, but said she was shocked when teachers last month told her the attire was incorrect uniform.

The school says girls should wear black trousers or a black pleated skirt from official uniform suppliers.

However, the Siham's father, Idris Hamud, 55, said short skirts contravene the family's religious beliefs and his daughter had refused to attend school. The school has now threatened him and his wife, Salma Yusuf, 44, with legal action over their daughter's alleged unauthorised absences.

Siham, who is now studying from home due to Covid lockdown restrictions, described feeling bullied for her beliefs.

"It makes me feel left out, because I can't see my friends. They aren't accepting me for my religion and that's wrong," she said. "I feel confused and annoyed that I can't wear what I want for my religion. I hope they'll change their rules so that girls like me wear skirts to school."

A new school rule about the length of skirts was introduced two years ago, stating shorter branded skirts had to be worn.

But the family claim they only recently became aware of this change, and Siham continued wearing her longer skirt, unaware she was breaking any rules, until she was spoken to by teachers on 1 December.

Siham's older sisters, Sumayyah, 19, and Ilham, 17, both wore longer skirts to school without issue.

Hamud, an athletics coach, said his daughter was being denied an education because of her religious beliefs.

"All Siham wants to do is to wear a skirt which is a few centimetres longer than her classmates, and I don't know why the school has such a problem with this. She is sent home to change into a shorter skirt then return to school later that day – but she isn't going to change her beliefs in an hour.

"The school is threatening to take legal action against me, but I'm not forcing her to wear a longer skirt – it's her faith and her decision to make. She used to love school, but now she goes to school crying because of this – it's heartbreaking."

The school sent the parents a letter on 9 December threatening action.

It said: "Siham's absence is being recorded as unauthorised. Unauthorised absence may result in a fine being issued, or legal action being taken against the adults who have parental responsibility or day-to-day care of your child.

What a ridiculous action by the school and secondly can we get rid of school uniforms already.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of a student being punished for their skirt being too long, wtf.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't get what the Headteacher thinks their going to get out of this situation. Causing a major religious flare up over dress code is so fucking stupid. Just allow an exemption for religious beliefs.

Of course, the potential is there that this was meant to curb Muslim dress and make them conform. So either stupid or racist.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
www.theguardian.com

School threatens legal action after Muslim girl told skirt is ‘too long’

Siham Hamud, 12, refused to wear shorter skirt and now parents face court over unauthorised absences

What a ridiculous action by the school and secondly can we get rid of school uniforms already.
Yeah it's ridiculous.

But school uniforms are important.

When I was a school kid we'd have non uniform days.
Where you'd donate £1 to charity and wear your own clothes.
Pretty much every time I was laughed at by tons of kids.
Because I was wearing poor people clothes.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares if a skirt is too long?! Da fuck.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
well that's not how I expected that sentence to end

School uniforms are dumb. UK folks, are uniforms required or common in state-run public schools in the UK? In the US, private schools (non-state run schools) frequently have uniforms, but it's not very common in public schools (save for maybe a few really strict areas)

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Yeah it's ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree with that. The non-uniform days didn't go well for me either.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
The only thing I can think of as to a sensible reason why the ankle length skirt would be banned as being of a more of a risk of a tripping hazard for the kid while running around. Much easier to trip over, or have someone accidently step on and send the girl flying. Assuming the normal shorter skirt is around knee length.

But it is an unusual report.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Same. Other kids had nice expensive jeans and whatever, but we could barely afford nice clothes so I had hand-me-downs from older cousins and stuff. Would always get laughed at. School uniforms saved me from that most of the time.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
A skirt being a few centimeters too long is a very dumb detail for them to get hung up on. It'd make more sense to change the rules to allow this again as well, not make more of a mess out of it. It clearly wasn't a problem if she kept wearing it for well over a year after the rule change with no issues.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017

As someone who wasn't particulary well-off as a child, uniforms made my school experience better. I didn't have to worry about being teased because my parents couldn't afford to buy $200 sneakers for me, or $300 puffer bubble coats. Kids are cruel AF and it was one less thing to distract me from learning.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
So idiotic.

School uniforms are dumb. UK folks, are uniforms required or common in state-run public schools in the UK? In the US, private schools (non-state run schools) frequently have uniforms, but it's not very common in public schools (save for maybe a few really strict areas)
Yeah uniforms are normally required in public schools here.

Hidant

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's ridiculous.

Damn dude that sucks, kids can be so shitty sometimes.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who wasn't particulary well-off as a child, uniforms made my school experience better. I didn't have to worry about being teased because my parents couldn't afford to buy $200 sneakers for me, or $300 puffer bubble coats. Kids are cruel AF and it was one less thing to distract me from learning.
I got teased for my shit trousers / shoes... so it's not like kids wont find a way.

I guess if it's all got to come from a central source, that would be different, but in my school it was only shirt / tie that worked that way.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Religion shouldn't have anything to do with it. If an atheist wants to wear a slightly longer skirt it shouldn't be an issue.
But it shouldnt really surprise them when the school has a policy of using school uniforms. What she can be annoyed about is that the school ignored her dress code violation for so long, probably to avoid this exact conflict, and now does something about it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
My guess from the title it was a health and safety issue.

Trip on a long skirt, parents sue the school.

OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The skirt in question

1200.jpg

Damien1990

May 23, 2020

Yes, from about the age of 5 to 16.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, she isn't being punished because the skirt is too long. She is being punished because she failed to buy a skirt at the right supplier who they have contract with so they aren't profiting from it, and that is why she is being punished.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty common. I wore a school uniform from 5 years old to 18 years.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
I thought that was my old school for a second and I thought, oh ye makes sense but the uniform is different. Still pretty wild, why would it be a problem? The need to conform in the UK schools is stupid. Trousers, normal skirts and long skirts should all be the standard options for all school kids.

Don't get me started on that you have to buy a school uniform from a set supplier so that they have a vested interest in maintaining this exact same uniform style.

The Waistcoat

Nov 8, 2017
This headteacher had picked such a bad hill to die on. Literally all you get from this is bad press, and any good press you get will likely come from racist types who you really shouldn't be courting for attention.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Petty fucks. Weird as well to be demanding an underage girl wear a shorter skirt.

Though it was the opposite at the school I went to. There was one girl who I believe was Muslim that wore a long thing and no one questioned her on it (staff I mean) meanwhile they were always going on about not wearing the skirt too short in assemblies.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The root cause of the problem is this word in this sentence:

" A new school rule about the length of skirts was introduced two years ago, stating shorter branded skirts had to be worn."

The school is acting like a bunch of shitheads not because the skirt is too long, but because it wasn't bought from whatever supplier they have a deal with that gives them some small amount of revenue from each sale of school-branded clothing.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A new school rule about the length of skirts was introduced two years ago, stating shorter branded skirts had to be worn.​
But the family claim they only recently became aware of this change, and Siham continued wearing her longer skirt, unaware she was breaking any rules, until she was spoken to by teachers on 1 December.​
Why was this school rule introduced in the first place? Maybe they want to make more money, but then you'd present more options for skirts cause inclusion is also a money maker. It's wrong and exclusionary. Hope the school has to accommodate for any length of skirt and they sort that out with the clothing department.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's ridiculous.

I see your point. Never having school uniforms in my childhood however, I haven't gotten bullied or noticed someone getting bullied for wearing very cheap clothes. Maybe usually wearing uniforms and then having non uniform days put a heightened emphasis on what kind of clothes kids were wearing? Even with uniforms I imagine kids from poorer or dysfunctional households still standing out if their clothes might be less frequently washed or broken or whatever. I dunno.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is going to be pulled in the wrong direction and cause a whole unnecessary discussion.

The school uniform is clear for everyone. You either wear skirt A or trousers B. Girl is wearing skirt C. Gets told to conform to the available choices...

This on its own is a discussion about school uniform in 2021. But now it's going to be pulled to religion, which honestly isn't the problem here. Nobody is saying she can't cover herself, can't wear her hijab or believe in what she wants. They're saying: ''wear the uniform''.

It's all very unnecessary... This is why the right doesn't take these issues seriously because everything gets pulled to an issue that gets more '' traction '' for lack of a better word.

OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see your point. Never having school uniforms in my childhood however, I haven't gotten bullied or noticed someone getting bullied for wearing very cheap clothes. Maybe usually wearing uniforms and then having non uniform days put a heightened emphasis on what kind of clothes kids were wearing? Even with uniforms I imagine kids from poorer or dysfunctional households still standing out if their clothes might be less frequently washed or broken or whatever. I dunno.

In primary school we didn't need to wear uniform and this one friend his mum made him and his brother come to school in a suit.

Was surreal.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Let's be honest, she isn't being punished because the skirt is too long. She is being punished because she failed to buy a skirt at the right supplier who they have contract with so they aren't profiting from it, and that is why she is being punished.
I don't think that's the case. They mentioned no long skirts are part of the approved uniforms.

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
Me neither. I usually wore school uniform on mufti days anyway, since the teasing I got from showing up in a blazer and tie was far more bearable.

The root cause of the problem is this word in this sentence:

" A new school rule about the length of skirts was introduced two years ago, stating shorter branded skirts had to be worn."

The school is acting like a bunch of shitheads not because the skirt is too long, but because it wasn't bought from whatever supplier they have a deal with that gives them some small amount of revenue from each sale of school-branded clothing.
Ding, ding. My sister's academy's supplier offers branded long skirts for students, and they aren't even in an area with a large Muslim population, so I don't see why their supplier couldn't either aside from greed.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Was talking to my teacher partner about this, the school is fucked here. They can't demand uniform changes for religious beliefs. It sounds like she wants to keep her wrists and ankles covered as part of her Muslim beliefs?

The line generally gets drawn when the school wants to see their logo or badge on the child to know they go to that school, for no good reason, but that's the line. She's wearing the school's blazer with their logo on it in the photo. They're going to lose this badly.