• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

UK video game retailer GAME plans to close 40 stores in the UK and has already informed around 27 locations marked for closure.

A press release from the retailer chalks the closures up to a challenging retail market, something it says is exacerbated by unfair rent in many of the locations the closing stores inhabited.

That press release calls the undergoing a "store rationalization program", and looks to suggest those closures might not be set in stone if the company can come to favorable terms with the landlords of many of the locations on the chopping block.

"We are working closely with landlords throughout the UK to ensure that we do not have to vacate the 40 locations which could lead to a number of job losses," reads a company statement. "However, we are facing a challenging retail market and GAME with its extensive retail footprint, needs to restructure and landlords need to work with us in setting realistic, fair rents."

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I found this out yesterday when I headed into the town to trade in a controller and it was closed.
The High street is dying

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
GAME is suffering the slowest death. I didn't expect them to survive 2010 never mind 2020.

Haven't been in a GAME store since I worked there in 2002 tbh.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I don't really use Game but it will be sad knowing there are no dedicated gaming shops on the highstreet.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Game should've died years ago and infact they did. Someone bought them out and kept up with the same shitty practices they'd been doing leading up to their first death. They didn't learn anything.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still surprised they've managed to last this long. The writing has been on the wall for so long and they haven't really changed to try to stop it.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It is a shame that they can't compete on price due to rent and other factors. Not having shops to potter about in just plain sucks.

But I but everything online, so I'm fully part of the problem.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
High Street stores in general have been doing a slow death for the last ten years. It's depressing, but I can't see it changing or think of any cures. It's all restaurants and maybe clothes/shoe stores in most smaller towns now.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Theres nowhere in my town to buy games unless I want cex or a supermarket. At one point we had game,gamestation and grainger but they're all gone now. No independent shops either. I worked in one of the only ones we had and that was 25 years ago.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
UK retail for games is gonna really drop (lower than it already has) when GAME finally dies. It's basically the only gaming specific store left on the highstreet. Still gonna sell stuff via the supermarkets and Argos/Currys etc but GAME is a standard that is always there.

Digital is gonna be more and more important going forward.

CEX gonna clean up with pre-owned stuff that doesn't put any money back into the gaming industry.

ashbash159

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I decide to look in one of their shops I just look around to see how expensive new games are and then walk out after 30 seconds.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Shopper habits are changing and GAME are one of many that haven't kept up. Sad for those losing their jobs but my needs are adequately met by Internet stores.

I'm more interested in who is going to get the rights to special editions, at this point.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
EB Games just announced they were shutting down dozens of stores in Aus too (GAME stopped trading here about 7 years ago.) Seems like this might be the beginning of the end for dedicated stores, so hard to compete with Amazon and the other local stores that can afford to undercut.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
We still have local gaming stores in Germany and I'm so so happy for it. Try to buy my games there as often as I can.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising - outside of the real big AAA games and Nintendo retail has been having a hard time. Digital too interesting with all the sales, free games from subscriptions and f2p games.

When you consider what kind of presence the Xbox has in the market and the push of a service like GamePass - well they lasted longer than most of us expected.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
My high street could do with another estate agents so that's great news!

High streets have been dying a slow death for years. What we do with them going forward is going to be interesting.

There is only so many coffee shops / charlity shops / estate agent one place can have

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame. High street can't compete with the race to the bottom in pricing that online does. I used to love going into Electronics Boutique and Game in the 90s and seeing all the new games, playing on the N64s and Dreamcasts. I feel bad for the employees, I hope they find jobs quickly.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for the staff, they're fed such bullshit and these closures always come as a surprise to them.

Had a discussion with someone there who said they can "guarantee they will not shut the store as Mike Ashley now owns them". He wouldn't be told otherwise either.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Shopper habits are changing and GAME are one of many that haven't kept up. Sad for those losing their jobs but my needs are adequately met by Internet stores.

I'm more interested in who is going to get the rights to special editions, at this point.

I think it has little to do with what GAME has/hasn't done and a lot to do so with changes in consumer buying patterns. The same thing is happening all over the world with games retail and lots of retailers on the whole

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's sad for people losing their jobs, but on the positive side it should mean the end of Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft constantly pandering to the B&M retailers with inflated digital pricing. They don't have to worry about upsetting online retailers like Amazon, they'll sell the stuff regardless and make most of their sales from digital cards anyway.

My high street could do with another estate agents so that's great news!

High streets have been dying a slow death for years. What we do with them going forward is going to be interesting.

There is only so many coffee shops / charlity shops / estate agent one place can have
Government needs to cut rates and allow independents to thrive. Would rather have a nice delicatessen than an empty retail unit doing nothing - and surely the government would rather get some tax than no tax.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for the staff, they're fed such bullshit and these closures always come as a surprise to them.

Had a discussion with someone there who said they can "guarantee they will not shut the store as Mike Ashley now owns them". He wouldn't be told otherwise either.
Yep. They're fed "everything is okay" right up until the last possible moment. Probably to keep them from bailing while they still need them.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm not at all surprised. It's been a rough year if you're in the business of selling physical copies of video games in the UK and well... GAME are in that business.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I think it has little to do with what GAME has/hasn't done and a lot to do so with changes in consumer buying patterns. The same thing is happening all over the world with games retail and lots of retailers on the whole
So do you think the death of bricks and mortar game stores is inevitable? It doesn't feel like they (and their equivalents like Gamestop) have really had a proper go at changing their business model to meet consumer needs.

If they are unable to (because it's simply "sell it cheaper") then yes, there's no hope, but I am not that pessimistic.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's a shame. High street can't compete with the race to the bottom in pricing that online does. I used to love going into Electronics Boutique and Game in the 90s and seeing all the new games, playing on the N64s and Dreamcasts. I feel bad for the employees, I hope they find jobs quickly.
That's how I feel. I miss those vibes you from EB. Still remember seeing some of my favourite games like Super Mario 64 and Shenmue which had trailers showing or you could play like Soul Calibur. Shame what's become of the retail market but my god them buying out all the competition really didn't help their financial situation at all.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
While the writing has been on the wall for games retail for ages as the industry (and it's customers) adapt, sky-high rents in UK high streets and shopping centres, thus forcing various chains out of the place where footfall is highest, is also to blame. There's just no profit when your overheads are that high and margins so slim. They've tried merchandise, have an online store, have tried every loyalty and events scheme under the sun, but it's just not going to work outside of the biggest cities and shopping centres where the passing trade justifies the rent. Even the central London one was priced out of Oxford Street.

One of the stores closing is Watford- they've been in that shopping centre for nearly 30 years, since it opened its doors. Seeing as they are still largely selling £40 games to parents and kids and young adults on the Saturday shop, I can't even begin to imagine how much their rent and staff overheads have changed in that time. I'm surprised they lasted this long.

I wonder which affected their bottom line the most- increased shift to digital, online retailers like Amazon, or the rent increases.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

So do you think the death of bricks and mortar game stores is inevitable? It doesn't feel like they (and their equivalents like Gamestop) have really had a proper go at changing their business model to meet consumer needs.

If they are unable to (because it's simply "sell it cheaper") then yes, there's no hope, but I am not that pessimistic.

I do at least, it's the same with the vast majority of high street retailers. GAME could be running perfectly and they'd still get hit by the wider trends, they'd just be delaying the inevitable. The high street is getting hollowed out and replaced.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly amazed it's managed to survive for this long. There's no value for money with their prices, you're pretty much always better off buying games online.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

I think there's a place for small brick and mortar stores but the focus should be on selling hardware, accessories and subscription contracts (think Xbox All Access) rather than games. Think of how mobile phone stores operate.

Whilst not been in GAME for so many years, whenever I walk past I see mobile phones in the windows and untidy shelves of pre-owned games inside. It looks confused.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's incredibly sad to see the high street dying, but alternatively I won't miss them.

Scummy company.

Nov 13, 2017
GAME has the Belong stuff where you can go in and play gaming on PC or consoles and in addition, take part in tournaments. That's where I believe GAME can shift more of their focus to.

I've tried out the one in Bradford and it's decent.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why GAME and other stores like Toys R Us didn't focus on being leisure venues for videogames - hourly gaming, tournaments and hosting other local gaming events.

Retail was becoming less profitable in the early '00s; they've had years to try out new business models...

Nov 13, 2017
I don't understand why GAME and other stores like Toys R Us didn't focus on being leisure venues for videogames - hourly gaming, tournaments and hosting other local gaming events.

Retail was becoming less profitable in the early '00s; they've had years to try out new business models...

Check above. They actually have that sort of stuff. Belong.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think there's a place for small brick and mortar stores but the focus should be on selling hardware, accessories and subscription contracts (think Xbox All Access) rather than games. Think of how mobile phone stores operate.

Whilst not been in GAME for so many years, whenever I walk past I see mobile phones in the windows and untidy shelves of pre-owned games inside. It looks confused.
Last time I went to GAME they tried flogging all of that on me upon walking into the store (loyalty card as well). The desperation was obvious.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As usual in these threads, it is bad for the people losing the jobs but it is hardly surprising giving the prices they charge and the stock they hold. I have seen a movement towards gaming enthusiasts, or in actually what CEO's think gaming enthusiasts actually are which is clearly a huge problem - people who don't play games trying to understand people that do.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
GAME stores are hardly actual video games stores anymore anyway, they're just full of Funko Pops and other merchandise with a few shelves with games

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Looks like I'll preorder my next console at either Simply games or a supermarket. As long as I can get an extended warranty!
This is something I just thought about actually. I did Amazon for ps4 and just about got stock for launch.

GAME needs to survive to a new console launch, as it's their most profitable time. their bundles, at rrp, are the same as everyone else, so they don't lose market share. If they can survive until the end of the year they may get a lifeline.

Other option is supermarkets fill their empty space with Game stores inside them, like Argos.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

Yeah the second hand phone thing is weird. I guess they're trying to become CEX? It looks so desperate and messy that I don't even browse there anymore when I'm in town. Just second hand everything and a million Funko pops.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's incredibly sad to see the high street dying, but alternatively I won't miss them.

Scummy company.

This is where I'm at.
Obviously, I feel for people working who are going to be affected by this, but it's insane how much they ruined the company, while still keeping in business/taking the business from much better, smaller, local games retailers.

If I could go into GAME and find a new game for £49.99 (and usually £59.99 pre-owned, but that's a whole other issue), I could walk 2 minutes to say Grainger Games, Currys or HMV, or even a supermarket, and get it for £39.99. Yet they somehow survived on this?

Jun 17, 2018
This is something I just thought about actually. I did Amazon for ps4 and just about got stock for launch.

GAME needs to survive to a new console launch, as it's their most profitable time. their bundles, at rrp, are the same as everyone else, so they don't lose market share. If they can survive until the end of the year they may get a lifeline.

Other option is supermarkets fill their empty space with Game stores inside them, like Argos.

What I liked about buying consoles from GAME was that if it broke I could just walk in store and pick up a new one. Ordering online means waiting for someone to pick it up and I'm not sure if they even offer extended warranties. Even if GAME survive until the consoles release, I'm not sure buying from there would be worth it as if they close shortly after then extended warranties and the like will be for nothing.