• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
And more to the point, while it's a position I don't agree with it's not the social media guy making something up, it's YL policy voted for by YL.

Omoi

May 7, 2019
the labour party are the Washington Generals of UK Politics. They exist only to lose.

namelesstwo

Banned
Apr 30, 2020
FMd5bQLXsAEmZnD

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, that is actually fucked. Using the position they put forth as one to justify these kinds of threats and harassment is absolute bollocks

namelesstwo

Banned
Apr 30, 2020
It would be hardly surprising if the threat came from a Labour member. There may be a lot of people who hate the left, but the same people really hate muslims.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
It's so fucking weird reading this thread from the perspective of being from a social democratic country, which borders Russia. Do you really think NATO is the threat to UK's security here? Do you live in cloud cuckoo land?

Regarding Fox News, they're doing the exact same thing as you are: making excuses for Russia. On Russia, the horseshoe theory absolutely is true: both the nazis and the tankies just fucking love Russia for some reason.

Edit: Like do you really think it's NATO holding the UK back from implementing left-wing policies that make people's lives better? The Nordic countries have built the best and most comprehensive welfare states in the world through decades and decades of left-wing policies.
Norway: Nato member
Denmark: Nato member
Iceland: Nato member
Sweden: Neutral, with fully NATO-compatible military
Finalnd: Neutral, with fully NATO-compatible mulitary. They just bought a bunch of F-35s.

It's not NATO holding you back, just like it was never the EU holding you back (fucking Lexiters). It's the UK consistently voting Tory why you can never have nice things.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The main problem has been the mainstream of western politics poking Putin with a stick but rolling over for that sweet Russian money and oil. We finally start getting our house in order and then start focusing on a small group of politicians who at least have some consistent ideological reason for their position instead of political donations etc.

I just think people should focus on the positive moves going on all across the continent and beyond.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Right, the anti-NATO crowd are nothing new, and moreover, are much less relevant here than say, a Conservative government - where the current PM, it should be noted, was at one point the foreign fucking minister - which has for the duration of the wider conflict which started entirely within their tenure just largely sat on their asses about it. Johnson's sudden push of support should be very much measured against a backdrop of 'well where the fuck were you'

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
It's so fucking weird reading this thread from the perspective of being from a social democratic country, which borders Russia. Do you really think NATO is the threat to UK's security here? Do you live in cloud cuckoo land?

Regarding Fox News, they're doing the exact same thing as you are: making excuses for Russia. On Russia, the horseshoe theory absolutely is true: both the nazis and the tankies just fucking love Russia for some reason.

This isn't a football match, you are allowed to not think the sun shines out of NATO's arse without in any way "Making excuses for Russia" or thinking they are any less the bad guy here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Let's not pretend that thinking someone should have the whip removed for their stance and threats of violence and murder are anywhere near the same level of eachother. I can hold the opinion that the threat to remove the whip was a correct one to take and also say that threats of violence against those individuals are wrong.

It's fine for you to think that, i think our democracy, only viable Left wing party and the house of commons should be able to handle a few people who won't swear loyalty to a military union. I think they have clearly misjudged what Putin is about but it seems a lot of military and intelligence people have as well.

LTG

Nov 4, 2017
This is a deeply, viscerally stupid position, given what the leaders of nato have been involved with, and are *still* involved with, just in this century.

Yes, putin is doing a conquering like in the era of colonialism and should be stopped. In the same way the nato leaders are supporting saudi arabia doing the same *right the fuck now*. In the same way they support a coutry doing the same to palestine *right the fuck now*. These are all terrible and must be halted, but curiously only the one where brown people arent being bombed to death, the one IN EUROPE is suddenly a massive cause for concern.

This is exactly where I stand.
For some to suggest the whip be removed from MPs who have expressed these same views is rather telling.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Let's not pretend that thinking someone should have the whip removed for their stance and threats of violence and murder are anywhere near the same level of eachother. I can hold the opinion that the threat to remove the whip was a correct one to take and also say that threats of violence against those individuals are wrong.

One enables the other, when you portray your own MPs as traitors its gonna have consequences.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Now it's clear that Putin isn't nursing cold war resentment and insecurity, that he's just empire building and acting like a Czar/fascist they won't repeat the same mistake about Putin. He's only going to stop if Ukraine stops him or the sanctions fuck him up at home.

They can still call for NATO to change or whatever.

namelesstwo

Banned
Apr 30, 2020

Edit: Like do you really think it's NATO holding the UK back from implementing left-wing policies that make people's lives better? The Nordic countries have built the best and most comprehensive welfare states in the world through decades and decades of left-wing policies.
Finalnd: Neutral, with fully NATO-compatible mulitary. They just bought a bunch of F-35s.

It's not NATO holding you back, just like it was never the EU holding you back (fucking Lexiters). It's the UK consistently voting Tory why you can never have nice things.

What are you even talking about? Show one post in this thread that is "making excuses for Russia". There hasn't even been discussion over criticism of NATO, just over the concept of criticising NATO.
Have you considered that it may not be about how epic your Nordic welfare states are or about threats to the UK's security?
Maybe it's about the next middle eastern nation that will be targeted by NATO the same way Ukraine is being invaded by Russia right now? I can't understand the supposed indignation that some people don't like to see NATO's reputation wholly laundered just a few months after the catastrophic ending of a 20 year old NATO occupation.

namelesstwo

Banned
Apr 30, 2020

Zarah was much more specific than that though. She is basically being called a fifth columnist by her party, her party's MPs, by its leadership and its client journalists. These things have consequences whether you want to admit it or not.
And if we're talking "smears", Johnson's technichally true assertion that Starmer didn't prosecute Savile is much less of a smear than that.

namelesstwo

Banned
Apr 30, 2020
It looks like the only thing many Remainers didn't like about the Crush the Saboteurs, Traitors, Enemies of the People rhetoric was that it was directed at them lol.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Banging on about NATO when fascists are invading a fellow European country is a huge red flag.

Like I can totally understand disputes about NATO and disagreements with Western Imperialism. There's some decent points made honestly.

But right now Europeans, Ukrainians are dying fighting a fascist invader out to destroy their country. If the response to that is still 'But NATO' then there's a problem.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They're anti military projection full stop, it's like being surprised conscientious objectors refuse to pull the trigger, i don't think they're going to gain much traction the way Putin is behaving

Oct 31, 2017
Banging on about NATO when fascists are invading a fellow European country is a huge red flag.

Like I can totally understand disputes about NATO and disagreements with Western Imperialism. There's some decent points made honestly.

But right now Europeans, Ukrainians are dying fighting a fascist invader out to destroy their country. If the response to that is still 'But NATO' then there's a problem.

Yup. This is an unprovoked war of agression.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

You don't see how labelling her kind of opinions as "far left", "tankie" or "unwelcome in the labour party" subsequently contributes to normalising that?

It's easy to say you never called for violence but this all contributes to it happening.

Understanding a situation isn't the same as endorsing it - its just taking a realistic view of cause-and-effect, and how the UK (and the wider west) can actually influence the situation. Countries that border Russia can absolutely have a legitimate desire to want to be a part of NATO merely as an act of self preservation, but its also just putting your head in the sand to not acknowledge that Russia will see this as an aggressive move, and might eventually make war more likely. This doesn't mean you support Putin, just that you recognise that we live in a world where he exists.

Also, Lexiters were basically an irrelevance in Brexit, the fact you have even brought them up suggests that maybe you should do some more reading on the topic

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm glad we don't have Jeremy Corbyn as PM during this particular crisis.

Fucking stop the war coalition. Imagine being so anti war you forget to criticize the country waging it.

He has, at least disagree on what he has actually said on the subject, this is what people were talking about earlier regarding death threats etc,

Again. i think he's wrong, Putin has no interest in negotiations etc, he is trying to build an empire and he's mad with power.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm glad we don't have Jeremy Corbyn as PM during this particular crisis.

Fucking stop the war coalition. Imagine being so anti war you forget to criticize the country waging it.

lmao, what has Boris Johnson done exactly? a few meagre sanctions - they aren't even giving visas to Ukrainian refugees.

namelesstwo

Banned
Apr 30, 2020
User banned (1 week): trolling
Harder pill to swallow for the epic liberals and lefties than the Corbyn hypotheticals, is that if Trump were president this might have not been happening, due to his unpredictability (or he might have started a nuclear war by now).

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Are we supposed to just turn a blind eye to the awful takes of the stop the war coalition and avoid criticising those that support them because shitheads will take it too far? She removed her signature so I don't consider her a tankie and I don't believe I called her one.

Never said you can't disagree with them, you're still doing that thing where you label any remotely dissenting voice as therefore being a supporter of the other side. Do you honestly think that someone like Zara Sultana, John McDonnell, or Jeremy Corbyn is pro-Putin?

I explained the logic behind why people are bringing up NATO a couple of posts above. Anyone who thinks such an opinion is so disgustingly extreme as to warrant immediately booting them from the party is either an Authoritarian, or a rube who is having their wallet inspected (again)

You may not have called her a tankie, but others have and are, and that, and other things like "far left" or "pro putin" all contribute to the same rhetoric that does escalate towards these kind of responses, whether you like it or not.

2,000 NLAWs are being used to kill fascist invaders. That's certainly something.

We should certainly be offering visas and demanding tougher sanctions too.

Fortunately the Tories have made clear that they basically won't be taking in any refugees because Ukrainian refugees are going through Poland and Romania, which fortunately enough are considered safe third countries, and therefore not our concern.

Omoi

May 7, 2019
I would wager that yes, some people in this thread, probably most of the media class, and indeed the PLP, would say that jeremy corbyn is pro-putin.

iu

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Given my anxiety has been through the roof at various times this week the Corbyn stuff is fairly funny, like he's not on my top 50,000 things i'm worried about list. Corbyn thinks we should all be nice to each other, ah well, thanks for that Jeremy.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I mean yes, its 11 backbench Labour MP's

We all know this has no impact on anything, but Starmer is using it as a chance to purge more of the pesky lefties from the party

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
It is beyond amusing that we are two years into a decade consumed by one of the worst pandemics in human history, and the most serious war in Europe since WW2 and still people are obsessed with Grandpa Corbyn.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
And when NATO does Invade annother country under false pretences I will be there criticising it. The problem isn't the criticism so much as the timing in the face of the current crisis.

The problem is it's never the time with these people.

"Why are you talking about this NOW while there's a crisis happening?"

Spool on 2 months

"Why are you still talking about that, it was ages ago".