• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
But where's this money coming from.

Probably here:

conservatives-dup-magic-money-tree-located-24028322.png

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god...

"The conservatives, the real working class party"

Also getting rid of the tampon tax. Why not just go and do what Scotland may be doing and make woman sanitary products free in general.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Kinda sad and typical that the UK will spend money now to not even remotely make up for losses the tories caused.
Nothing to be done now except wait.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing on the 40 new hospital shit.

Also if this were a drinking game, I'd be drunk from taking a drink everytime the words "Gets it done" and "Level Up" is said.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Be interesting to see the effect the red diesel change has on the boating sector as they are notoriously thirsty engines

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I think you need more experience for any other job in the country, crazy.
I am enjoying all these tory voters who suddenly believe in public spending.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I was gonna make a "good news lads, they found the magic money tree" gag, but I'm late to the party.

The health surcharge increase is really gonna piss off the non-citizens I know, what an absolute joke when the NHS' biggest issue is a workforce shortage.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Love how whenever good points are made, often with sources cited, BoJo and his groupies just shake their heads.

Such childish babies.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Yep, had McDonnell announced this budget the Tories and their pliant media would be calling this full on communism. But rather than moaning about the unfairness of the media, Labour have to use this right. Austerity was a choice, investment is in now, so start spending that cash.

zabora

Apr 11, 2019
This budget is going to push Labour much further to left as the tories are effectively moving towards the centre left with this budget.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
This budget is going to push Labour much further to left as the tories are effectively moving towards the centre left with this budget.

I think the new leadership coming in after the budget should give them the space to think further down the road.
This budget isn't that important long term, let's see how things pan out in the real world.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I think the new leadership coming in after the budget should give them the space to think further down the road.
This budget isn't that important long term, let's see how things pan out in the real world.

The reality of Brexit is going to bite soon, I'm sure the Tories are aware of that. That's why they are getting in a bunch of promised spending now. I doubt a lot of this sees the light of day further down the road.

People in disadvantaged areas have been promised improvements by this government. Improvements to communities it can only deliver outside of Europe. When those don't materilise, I'm hoping they finally realise they were sold a bunch of bluff and thunder. Unfortunately, this is years down the road at best.

zabora

Apr 11, 2019

Let's see, the tories could've carried on with austerity as they basically have free reign for the next 5 years to do what they want.
But this is a calculated strategy I feel to move into Labour's territory.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Let's see, the tories could've carried on with austerity as they basically have free reign for the next 5 years to do what they want.
But this is a calculated strategy I feel to move into Labour's territory.

As uncleBenny says above the real world effects of Brexit more than offset the budget without the virus, i agree they are trying to move onto Labour's turf but they are still the tory party underneath, something will give in their own base eventually. we wil need to see if they keep this up in future budgets or not and the sacred tory issue of taxation.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Good job there was 30 billion going spare. Let's just hope we dont have to live through more austerity using this virus as an excuse. Dare say a few elderly deaths will ease any pressure on the pension purse too /s

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depends how they spend this extra money, wouldn't want to guess if they waste it or push into their mates coffers. Also, Brexit could flush it all down the toilet or an emergency budget cancels a lot of it. To me it's a shiny token gesture more or less.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
There was some useful stuff in the budget speech tbf, but I'm sure there is more complexity in the detail. I mainly couldn't believe the almost total lack of mention of Brexit - total brass neck by the govt to just ignore it in this budget.

Also, a few quid on environmental investment v £27billion on new roads? Wtf?

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I wonder how long this lasts. You certainly won't get tories cheering massive spending for 5 years.

Even yesterday, Theresa May stood up after to talk about the joys of being miserable with money.

Impending tory civil war is forming. See you in 2 years.

Corbyns response was lacklustre, though ultimately irrelevant. Can't say austerity hasn't ended when spending has jumped so high. The narrative needs to change to how reckless the spending is, they've added a fuckton while only tweaking opaque taxes on the rich as well as further giveaways to their base. Also as said above, the green credentials of this budget are shit. That's two narratives to go for. The old Labour constituencies that switched to torie want taxes on the rich, this budget didn't deliver.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Are there any rumours about who the undisclosed self-isolating cabinet member is?
Seems really strange they are being secretive about it after Dorries.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
There is a real odd dichotomy in this government when it comes to listening to experts. It's good idea on health related matters but not for anything else.

No 10 set to announce feasibility study into bridge linking Scotland to Northern Ireland, says minister
Alistair Jack, the Scottish secretary, told BBC Radio Scotland this morning that Boris Johnson will soon announce a feasiblity study into plans for bridge linking Scotland to Northern Ireland. In an interview this morning, asked why there was no money for the plan in the budget, he replied: "Watch this space." He went on:
The prime minister I expect will announce a feasibility study into the link to Northern Ireland, I hope the Scottish government will back it.
Johnson has a fondness for extravagant infrastructure schemes and he has repeatedly expressed interest in a bridge linking Scotland and Northern Ireland, despite experts dismissing the idea as impractical. Jack has suggested that the scheme could involve a combination of tunnel and bridge.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
From the Guardian : "Ireland's taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, has announced the closure of all schools, colleges and childcare facilities from tomorrow as part of a partial lockdown that will apply from 6pm tonight until 29 March."

I hope Scotland will do the same. I'm bringing my kids out of nursery and working from home from Monday either way.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
From the Guardian : "Ireland's taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, has announced the closure of all schools, colleges and childcare facilities from tomorrow as part of a partial lockdown that will apply from 6pm tonight until 29 March."

I hope Scotland will do the same. I'm bringing my kids out of nursery and working from home from Monday either way.

Sturgeon made a statement that sounded like she was sticking to the UK strategy this morning.

As much as I wouldn't mind (my office is in a high school)

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong....

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the ongoing Alex Salmond sex assault case. Pretty horrible stuff revealed so far but thought this nugget was interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-ban-on-alex-salmond-working-alone-with-women

Alex Salmond was banned from working alone with female civil servants at Bute House, his official residence as first minister of Scotland, after he allegedly sexually assaulted a Scottish government official in his private sitting room.

Asked to clarify what she meant about the change in civil service working arrangements with Salmond, G told the court: "Women were not to be alone in Bute House with Alex Salmond and he was not to receive any civil service support after 7pm or 9pm unless there was specific government business to attend to."

I wonder if Sturgeon knew about this at the time or in fact some of the stuff. Establishments are often shit shows. Pretty sad the woman said she didn't want to report it to police because of the Independence ramifications and what the press would say about Salmond.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Tory Councillor in Sheffield

Samantha Flower, who is a member of Boris Johnson's ruling Conservative Party and also a social care manager for Sheffield City Council, said: "I'm very concerned. They [the UK government] are saying they want as many people to get this disease to create a herd immunisation. But it won't. My suspicion is that they don't have the money for social care or NHS so that the weak and the old die.

I'm saying that as a Conservative councillor and I don't care if I get sacked. You judge a society by how they treat their vulnerable people. You judge leadership by how it treats its most vulnerable people. How do we care for them – by saying it would be better for pretty much everyone to get this disease when we know that our loved ones are going to die? It's not okay.

We could follow the World Health Organisation's advice and stop this now but the government's chosen not to. Our prime minister has just said to us 'your loved ones are going to die' and that's not okay. It's abhorrent. It's a crime against our country. We have the measures and capabilities to prevent this. I'm not trying to be an alarmist but the World Health Organisation has set very comprehensive guidance and we're not following it."