• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sunak's rise up the ranks has been extraordinary. He has been chief secretary to the Treasury since last summer, but technically he was not even a member of the cabinet; he was just a minister with the right to attend. Being chancellor is his first full cabinet job

I am enjoying the Guardian today

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sounds like it might not just be the treasury being swallowed by No10 according to a few journalists.
Cummings is a fucking loon.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's favourite Patel is sticking around.

Shame to see Julian Smith is gone but can't be having someone who actually cares about Northern Ireland working in that post.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Sunak's rise up the ranks has been extraordinary. He has been chief secretary to the Treasury since last summer, but technically he was not even a member of the cabinet; he was just a minister with the right to attend. Being chancellor is his first full cabinet job

I can't see anything going wrong... nope, nothing at all...

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

What a polite paragraph to basically describe a yes man lol.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what dirt does Cummings have on Boris and co.

Patel is such an evil bootlicker and going by her past, you can trust an evil bootlicker to do evil shady things regardless so she keeps her job.

Brexit and this Government are going to be an unaccountable shit show.

The budget is going to be the biggest lie in the world I bet. Corruption to the max now, this is their play to reap the benefits from hard Brexit for themselves.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Sunak worked as an analyst for investment bank Goldman Sachs.[8] He then worked for hedge fund management firm The Children's Investment Fund Management, becoming a partner in September 2006.[9] He left in November 2009[10] to join other former colleagues at new hedge fund firm Theleme Partners which launched in October 2010 with an initial $700 million.[11][12][13] Sunak was also a director of investment firm Catamaran Ventures owned by his father-in-law Indian businessman N. R. Narayana Murthy.[8][14]
and straight into the cabinet. lovely.

So what dirt does Cummings have on Boris and co.
I doubt its about dirt - he just does all the thinking and work for boris.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ha, Rish Sunak is the son of law of a billionaire, investment and hedgefund banker, director of his father in laws investment firm.

What a joke.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt its about dirt - he just does all the thinking and work for boris.

Still weird, who the fuck is he. He pissed about Russia a bit then came back, pushed Brexit now leading the government agenda. It's fucked up, at best they are just fleecing the hell out of the UK and Brexit for their own gain or worse, it's dodgy as fuck while also doing that.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Villiers must be gutted she's no longer going to be sitting next to Bojo on the front bench, staring at him lovingly.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

...jesus, could you be any more blatant?

Combining the three great offices of state in one, what could possibly go wrong?

...oh wait, yeah, you could

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any news of the Russia report, or is Cummings so scared of what it contains it'll never see the light of day?

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Any news of the Russia report, or is Cummings so scared of what it contains it'll never see the light of day?

I imagine it's mildly damaging at best. Enough to not want it circulating whilst planning an election, but not bad enough to be worth leaking.

Dominic Grieves was chair of the committee and is now outside of Parliament, if it was truly alarming I'd have expected it to leak by now.

In other news, it's clear from the reshuffle that it isn't nicey wicey Liberal Boris, so hopefully all the commentary articles can drop the narrative that he'll magically appear anyday now.

Last edited:

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

Even if it was damaging, the truth is, it doesn't fucking matter.

Look at Trump, he's just got been through impeachment proceedings and the next thing he does his basically order his supposedly independent courts to give his mate leniency. No one cares. Nothing will be done and he will likely win another term.

That is the the great lie that Trump uncovered (not intentionally, he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy), the voting masses either don't understand and/or don't care about your actions, as long as they perceive it to be to their advantage.

As long Boris is surrounded by people as equally willing to give up their scruples, they can get away with anything as long as most voters think they are OK.

The only way they get dumped out of office is if Brexit goes seriously wrong, proper bare shelves, no fuel, worst case scenario.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
the treasury being decapitated feels like the dismantling of the last part of gordon brown's legacy.

cameron and osborne continued the blair-brown double pivot model with a lot more personal harmony

may inexplicably continued it while missing the point by hiring a chancellor with different views on brexit and state spending

boris doesn't really have natural allies or a clear project so it makes sense to centralise things around an imperial leadership

Last edited:

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Still weird, who the fuck is he. He pissed about Russia a bit then came back, pushed Brexit now leading the government agenda. It's fucked up, at best they are just fleecing the hell out of the UK and Brexit for their own gain or worse, it's dodgy as fuck while also doing that.

You're looking at this all wrong. This is a fantastic example of bootstraps conservatism, especially for the BAME community. If you can dream it, you can be anything, including one of the highest states of office in the land.

It's inspiring stuff for anyone out there who happens to have a billionaire father-in-law wondering what opportunities they could make for themselves in life.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like James Cleverly is out as Tory chairman. Basically anyone from May's era that stuck around to be a bootlicker is done.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I'm starting to think so.

"Amazing. No 10 refuses about 20+ times to say any more about Johnson's villa stay, beyond "all relevant transparency regulations have been met". We still don't know who owns the villa and who paid for the stay."

Something is seriously fishy, you can't forget in a month who paid for a £15,000 holiday.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017

"Amazing. No 10 refuses about 20+ times to say any more about Johnson's villa stay, beyond "all relevant transparency regulations have been met". We still don't know who owns the villa and who paid for the stay."

Something is seriously fishy, you can't forget in a month who paid for a £15,000 holiday.
Gonna wager it's Evgeny Lebedev (owner of the Standard, whose editor is still George Osborne)

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

What, never had someone pay most of a poor person's salary for you on a random treat?

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Javed quitting means Boris is now all conquering, quite simply put the Chancellor is going to be told where and what to spend

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
According to the BBC, this is a good thing because Bojo will be able to spend as much as he wants now, investing in the countries future and don't you know that the pound has gone up thanks to this genius move?

Spending is great when it's the Tories spending but out of control communism when Labour proposes the very same.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
According to the BBC, this is a good thing because Bojo will be able to spend as much as he wants now, investing in the countries future and don't you know that the pound has gone up thanks to this genius move?

Spending is great when it's the Tories spending but out of control communism when Labour proposes the very same.

Straight from the party line. It's being played off as 'Why did no-one ever think of this before? It's so much easier this way!' and 'Only Johnson could crack the code to having a yes man as Chancellor!'

Robert Walpole would be so fucking proud

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Wonder if there will be any backlashing rebels in the commons after all this...

haha, who am I kidding.

I can't remember who said it, but I've read a description of the Conservative Party as being an authoritarian dictatorship regulated by the occasional regicide. As in, the PM/party leader has absolute power until the underlings smell blood, and at that point it's over.

Creating an "awkward squad" at this stage when Johnson has so much political capital seems a bit short-sighted.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like James Cleverly is out as Tory chairman. Basically anyone from May's era that stuck around to be a bootlicker is done.
Screw Cleverly.

Shit person, shit intellect, shit interviews, hes just shit.

It's so bitter sweet seeing the Governing process being taken over in this concerning way, whule also getting to watch buttholes like Leadsom and Cleverly and Cox thrown out on their asses.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...teer-amsterdam-airport-schiphol-a9335281.html

A Brexiteer who was forced to wait in an immigration queue at an EUairport in Amsterdam has complained that "this isn't the Brexit I voted for".

Colin Browning, who described himself as one of the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit, said he was forced to wait for nearly an hour at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol before his passport was checked.

"Absolutely disgusting service at Schiphol airport. 55 minutes we have been stood in the immigration queue. This isn't the Brexit I voted for," he wrote on Twitter.

When another user commented on Mr Browning's post saying he "got what [he] voted for", the Brexit supporter replied: "I didn't vote to stand in a queue for over an hour why [sic] some jobsworth checks our passports.

"I spent more time at immigration than I did in the air getting to my destination."

Although some commenters have suggested that the Twitter post may be a parody, the account has consistently shared posts about Brexit and other issues in recent months which do not appear to be satirical.

Frances Coppola, a finance journalist for Forbes and the Financial Times, said airports such as Schiphol appeared to have "jumped the gun" by directing British passport holders to non-EU gates but noted that the change would be implemented across all EU countries from next year.

"I'm afraid it is exactly what you voted for. You were told by Remainers that this would be the consequence, but you dismissed their warnings as #ProjectFear," she wrote in response to the tweet.

Whether it's true or not, busy day, training or whatever. Got to enjoy the little things as Brexit reality smacks idiots in the face.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to search for this but I'm failing...

I seem to recall that one of the issues surrounding the current deportation debate in the UK was that some of the people deported hadn't met the criteria. Something like it required a conviction of x amount of years and they hadn't met that threshold, but were still deported?

Can anyone educate me on this please? Or am I remembering it incorrectly? A link to an article or something would do. Thanks!

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Colin isn't wrong about this not being what he voted for. He voted for the made up fairy tails he was promised where there were no downsides.

Granted, that is on him.

I mean, there's a reason that 'queues at the airport on City breaks' wasn't put high on the public agenda of Remainers (whilst it may have been pretty high on the private agenda).

I feel both before and after Brexit it is a pretty meaningless thing to make an issue out of.