• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
i'm still laughing at this childish move from Raab, how pathetic and in the end pointless.

"At the weekend it was reported in the Sunday Times that Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, had ordered British diplomats to "sit separately" from their former EU colleagues at international meetings following the UK's departure from the union on Friday. It was an odd story, not least because at international meetings delegations are normally seated according to precedence, or alphabetical order, not personal preference. At the WTO this morning Braithwaite was sitting next to his US counterpart."

did he think everyone was going to move for us or something, i just can't get my head around someone this fucking stupid being the head of the foreign office.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
i'm still laughing at this childish move from Raab, how pathetic and in the end pointless.

"At the weekend it was reported in the Sunday Times that Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, had ordered British diplomats to "sit separately" from their former EU colleagues at international meetings following the UK's departure from the union on Friday. It was an odd story, not least because at international meetings delegations are normally seated according to precedence, or alphabetical order, not personal preference. At the WTO this morning Braithwaite was sitting next to his US counterpart."

did he think everyone was going to move for us or something, i just can't get my head around someone this fucking stupid being the head of the foreign office.

More basically, someone who hasn't read up on how international diplomacy is done, or its decorum.

Which really, is the Tory notion of governance in a nutshell

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
More basically, someone who hasn't read up on how international diplomacy is done, or its decorum.

Which really, is the Tory notion of governance in a nutshell

Yeah, the Claire Perry stuff is pretty stark,

She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that "we are miles off track globally where we are meant to be" and there had been a "huge lack of leadership and engagement" from the current administration.

She said her job had been a "lonely place" and that Johnson had "admitted to me he doesn't really understand it", although others around him did. O'Neill said the cabinet sub-committee on the climate conference had not met since it formed in October.

It isn't even worth calling the government amateur.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
You clearly have a short memory. :p

yeah, He's the PM now, i kinda let that one go because May gave the three numbnuts Davis/Fox/Johnson a shared half promotion, we all thought it was a clever ruse at first to sideline them. and your right, i shouldn't forget his disastrous stint in the foreign office.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think ultimately Johnson can extend if he wants, not legal at the moment but he can make it legal.

Basically things might get rocky in the summer if they haven't agreed on financial services, fishing etc. and no doubt with this lot, sweet fa will happen except soundbites from idiots in the us against them narrative.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't mind Bercow getting scuppered by his behaviour, I do mind Tories trying to get all moral over it with half the scum they send to the chamber and honour/give titles to.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's got nothing to do with morals, they don't want him to get a peerage, that's it.

Would be nice if somebody pointed that out in the news media as well as their hypocrisy as you said.

But alas, the world we live in.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't mind Bercow getting scuppered by his behaviour, I do mind Tories trying to get all moral over it with half the scum they send to the chamber and honour/give titles to.

Yup. They don't give a fuck about far worse behaviour if the person is on 'their' side. Doesn't excuse Bercow, but it is pretty clear hypocrisy coming from the Tory party.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting morning update from Politico earlier. They interviewed the comms chief for the former PM of Canada, Stephen Harper, who dealt with the majority of their deal with the EU.

He gives some really good insight as to why it would be miraculous to get a trade deal done in 11 months. Follow the link and scroll down to find it but I'll post some relevant quotes here.

On preparation:

"Harper got every political premier of different political stripes [on board], and industry associations — there were over 200 consultations with cattle men, pork producers, fish people, you name it, the government went and talked to them. And we went into the negotiation with political support and trade support.....

You contrast that with the way Britain has done it … Scotland obviously hates it, Northern Ireland has a Withdrawal Agreement that no party supports … And you have industry saying: 'well, we just got a call yesterday from somebody in the government saying let's think about what we want to do.'"

On negotiation:
They've negotiated as a bloc for a long time. All I can tell you is that when our negotiators from Canada came back from rounds with them, they didn't look like they'd been on vacation.

"...at the end of the day Canada had a clear idea of what it wanted; a clear idea of its red lines; and if it moved from those red lines it did so with the full buy-in of the stakeholders back home"

On the timescale:
"Eleven months sounds like a long time to ordinary people — but in trade negotiations it's not even one innings. It is barely the time you'd figure out what you want in a trade negotiations — not do the actual entire negotiation … [The EU-Canada deal] was far less ambitious, and it's been 10 years and counting."

I'm sure the UK and Europe negotiations would move faster as both sides want to see an end to this nonsense and move on but the sad reality is our government has boxed itself into a corner. Its has to negotiate a trade deal with 27 other countries, we don't have any experience, we don't have a method, we don't have a structure and no one agrees on anything.

Then you have to factor in the idea that this is a big bluff and they are going to attempt to ransom Europe with some ridiculous fantasy deal or no deal as an alternative. So they get their win either way.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Interesting morning update from Politico earlier. They interviewed the comms chief for the former PM of Canada, Stephen Harper, who dealt with the majority of their deal with the EU.

He gives some really good insight as to why it would be miraculous to get a trade deal done in 11 months. Follow the link and scroll down to find it but I'll post some relevant quotes here.

On preparation:

"Harper got every political premier of different political stripes [on board], and industry associations — there were over 200 consultations with cattle men, pork producers, fish people, you name it, the government went and talked to them. And we went into the negotiation with political support and trade support.....

You contrast that with the way Britain has done it … Scotland obviously hates it, Northern Ireland has a Withdrawal Agreement that no party supports … And you have industry saying: 'well, we just got a call yesterday from somebody in the government saying let's think about what we want to do.'"

On negotiation:
They've negotiated as a bloc for a long time. All I can tell you is that when our negotiators from Canada came back from rounds with them, they didn't look like they'd been on vacation.

"...at the end of the day Canada had a clear idea of what it wanted; a clear idea of its red lines; and if it moved from those red lines it did so with the full buy-in of the stakeholders back home"

On the timescale:
"Eleven months sounds like a long time to ordinary people — but in trade negotiations it's not even one innings. It is barely the time you'd figure out what you want in a trade negotiations — not do the actual entire negotiation … [The EU-Canada deal] was far less ambitious, and it's been 10 years and counting."

I'm sure the UK and Europe negotiations would move faster as both sides want to see an end to this nonsense and move on but the sad reality is our government has boxed itself into a corner. Its has to negotiate a trade deal with 27 other countries, we don't have any experience, we don't have a method, we don't have a structure and no one agrees on anything.

Then you have to factor in the idea that this is a big bluff and they are going to attempt to ransom Europe with some ridiculous fantasy deal or no deal as an alternative. So they get their win either way.
PikatchuShockedFace.gif

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Either Boris Johnson is going for the EU is being unreasonable and telling us what to so no deal it is and if anything bad happens, it's the EU's fault for trying to enforce their rules on us so we have to make tough decisions that will fuck us over, sorry I mean the plebs! or he will cave at that last moment, perhaps an extension or I can't believe it's not EU '
butter

I think the former is happening whatever goes down. EU is being transparent but that won't stop the media rags and politicians from making up shit, us versus them etc.

It will be interesting because the EU wants a deal and they aren't going to budge on much at all except maybe rush through some bits faster than others so trade still flows, security continues, they'll do something but it won't be bending over. I think you'll probably get a bit here and there because in the time frame, what else can you do.

It's hard to imagine Boris lighting the match of no deal, it's totally crazy but then you have morons in office who won't suffer so who knows, it's just so hard to imagine them doing it though.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's messed up. The tactics to find the whistleblower are wild and bizarre. No staff should be subjected to that.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably not a huge deal but I'm guessing it's possibly awkward for some jobs if you aren't based in one place and perhaps want to do stints elsewhere. Also, not using the EU line in airports, we can queue though!

Shame though, it's a good right that's gone.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
the state of the iowa Democrats is the only thing that's made me feel better about the labour party in many months. at least we can run a leadership election.

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably Ryanair will just update the policy so that UK passport holders just work for the UK subsidiary which they'll need to have to operate planes out of the UK after the transition?

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Rough morning in store for the SNP. Hours before being due to deliver his budget, Derek Mackay, the Scottish finance secretary has resigned after a newspaper published details of messages he had been sending to a 16 year old boy over a six month period.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't Truss in meeeee.

The UK has left the EU and it is time for us to look forward to our future as an independent, global champion of free trade.

It is vitally important that we now move away from complex tariff schedule imposed on us by the European Union

We are dooooomed.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...hat-next-uks-aerospace-and-defence-industries

"..in order to stay competitive, aerospace will inevitably end up complying with EASA. But for political reasons, compliance needs to look like an autonomous decision. One convenient option doing the rounds is for the UK's own safety agency — the Civil Aviation Authority — to pay EASA to do oversight on its behalf...
... In effect, the UK would pay to lose its say. By all accounts, industry figures think it is an illogical position, but it might just prove politically expedient.."

Much more at the link. Ouch.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Nandy won our CLP vote, a close run thing with Starmer.
He was 1st, Nandy 3rd in the first round. Rayner won easily.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
FT has a story about Javid launching a red tape "challenge" to the public on where we should diverge from EU regulations alongside the budget.

These clowns don't even know what they should argue about. Such a massive waste of time.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Apparently it's perfectly fine to post nationalist right wing propaganda against Corbyn including saying he hates the UK in other threads whilst praising Boris for being more left wing than May.