• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
So how's everyone feeling about Friday?

This place seems dead even with a PMQs on right now?

Not too bothered to be honest, still in kind of for another year so still dealing with fantasy brexit.

I think the place will stay dead until Labour sorts itself out, I'm not to bothered about that either while Boris burns off some of the honeymoon feeling.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
When was th last time we had a non posh Prime Minister anyway? People clearly have no problem voting for that

Gordon Brown doesn't count

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just kinda shouting into the Tory void so what's the point really.

Still in for a year, let reality bite and see what we are left with.

I'll probably just be annoyed at the constant lies and goal post moving, maybe enjoy a little bit of told you so as it comes and goes but generally try to not give it too much attention for my sanity.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So how's everyone feeling about Friday?

This place seems dead even with a PMQs on right now?

The economist rightly called this current situation the Court of King Boris, and until the next Labour leader comes in they're just spinning their wheels. All the opposition parties are to be honest, even the SNP (though the elections up in Scotland may change things). There's nothing to discuss right now.

There might be more to discuss once the details of the trade deal come out, if they come out.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
It's quiet here because politics is boring again, this is what UK politics was like before the referendum.
Tories are being Tories and the new Labour stuff isn't going to be that exciting till the voting is underway.
Brexit "starting" tomorrow night is a whole lot of nothing. The Gammon will cheer as the UK doesn't implode overnight because they lack to understand that this is only the beginning of the transitional state of leaving the EU.
I do wonder if the value of the pound will shift at all though, but I think that will be more noticeable during the trade talks. July will be when we will truly know if it's going well or not. Boris says they'll be no extension, the option will be there and I wouldn't be surprised if they have no choice but to implement one to avoid a disastrous no deal. Either that or this will be the most rushed trade deal ever done and that isn't a good thing.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This was an interesting thread read on fishing history.

'Taking back control' of our waters has become a totemic rallying cry for Brexiteers, but what really lies behind the decline of coastal fishing communities, and is the EU just a convenient scapegoat?

This was a great thread.

Ericsson are operating as a company in a capitalist society. Huawei are not.

They're basically offering better tech cheaper than the alternatives. Fits with the Cummings/Johnson mantra.

As was this.

Thanks both!

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Just saw this.

Wasn't as bad as I feared (I was expecting something like Newsnight itself to be scrapped etc) but sad nonetheless.

And don't worry, we can easily blame the Tories for this.
well tbf, the Tory not-so-subtle "it would be a shame if anything happened to the licence fee" + and their threats to channel 4's licence remit (and ITV embargoing a documentary about the state of the NHS) don't paint a pleasant picture of media freedoms going forward.

I'd say there is definitely a conversation to be had about Boris & co endangering their financials / sustainability over the next few years if they don't get the kind of favourable coverage they'd want.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Look at the tossers. Warning, it's Farage etc waving little flags.

5228.jpg

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is Ann Widdecome still even doing involved in politics, talk about a turd that won't flush

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Here is the infamous goodbye
They cut him off which was petty as well, they all hate each other lol

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, it is a pretty big story or do you mean she likes that it's a big story?

I always think thought she might take an official position in the Tory government like director of communications or something.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
So fucking Knuesserberg is presenting a documentary about brexit on BBC 4 tonight. There is literally no shame left among these people.

I mean, she's literally doing her job in this instance lol

It's also been on BBC 2 previously, so looks like it's just a repeat of that

I think ITV news are doing a live event as if it's New Years eve, i don't understand the point besides getting some overtime out of it.

All of the major broadcasters seem to be doing a live special on Friday evening. Odd, but considering the nature of the occasion, I think I get it.

(I won't be watching)

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they are hoping for pitchfork marches as the scum tell people to leave country now.

Going to be embarrassing whatever it is, like those Royal fans go come out for the weddings and such, barking mad but more violent.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
All of the major broadcasters seem to be doing a live special on Friday evening. Odd, but considering the nature of the occasion, I think I get it.

(I won't be watching)

Is there going to be something that they can actually mark like fireworks?
I know it's a thing that happens at midnight, but nothing is at happening at midnight(as far as i know), actually Mark Francois is staying up i gather.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching the news this afternoon and there was a piece of about the fishing industry were sending down a rep to Westminster because they fear they won't get what they want in the brexit negotiations.

I literally just turned it off. I can't be bothered with any of this now.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine what is left of small fisherman that aren't part of big corps is there might be some mess and they get forced to sell out to big corps who then just sell/rent license to the foreign fisherman. All according to plan.

Brexit is just consolidating power for those that have the capital to take advantage of it as well as sell everything not nailed down for a bung and generally who cares, money and screwing over everyone to make more.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Does he believe Scotland has a right to choose its future destiny?

He didn't say that he backed indyref2 directly, (to be expected) but implied that he wouldn't try to block a second vote if it came from Holyrood under his leadership.

No surprise given his speeches over the last few days but he spoke a lot about redistribution of power and big decisions being taken across the UK and not just in Westminster (and brought some bants about Kate Hoey). Said all the right things for me about Labour's failure to fight against Tory lies and sweeping soundbites which dominated their election campaign - and the wider issues that Labour didn't just lose the last election but the last four. Unity, Honesty & Clarity the priority.

Had a chat with my MP and we agreed he's a very sharp, intelligent and rather funny guy who we would love to see holding Johnson accountable. Didn't expect to be in the second row. He has impressive hair. That's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He didn't say that he backed indyref2 directly, (to be expected) but implied that he wouldn't try to block a second vote if it came from Holyrood under his leadership.

No surprise given his speeches over the last few days but he spoke a lot about redistribution of power and big decisions being taken across the UK and not just in Westminster (and brought some bants about Kate Hoey). Said all the right things for me about Labour's failure to fight against Tory lies and sweeping soundbites which dominated their election campaign - and the wider issues that Labour didn't just lose the last election but the last four. Unity, Honesty & Clarity the priority.

Had a chat with my MP and we agreed he's a very sharp, intelligent and rather funny guy who we would love to see holding Johnson accountable. Didn't expect to be in the second row. He has impressive hair. That's good enough for me.

Thanks. Yes agree his very sharp.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Who is a expert in settled status, as radio 5 had an 'expert' on this morning and she was saying anyone can get settled status as long as they arrive before December 2020

i thought that does not sound right, and I read this

To be eligible for settled status, you usually need to have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row. You need to provide proof of this when you apply.

This lady was making out like people could arrive on Dec 31st this year and still be allowed to have permanent residency. One point I did like from her was that EU migration is now only making up about 20% of the number in migration, so there is going to be a lot of disappointed people when the number does not fall to what they expected

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Who is a expert in settled status, as radio 5 had an 'expert' on this morning and she was saying anyone can get settled status as long as they arrive before December 2020

i thought that does not sound right, and I read this

To be eligible for settled status, you usually need to have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row. You need to provide proof of this when you apply.

This lady was making out like people could arrive on Dec 31st this year and still be allowed to have permanent residency. One point I did like from her was that EU migration is now only making up about 20% of the number in migration, so there is going to be a lot of disappointed people when the number does not fall to what they expected

Fucking hell considering the ratio before

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
You need to be in the UK continuously for 5 years to get settled status. Anyone who comes to the UK before Dec 31 can apply for pre-settled status, which lets you stay after 2020. They can then apply for settled status after they've been in the country for 5 years. Pre-settled status is temporary whereas settled status is semi-permanent (will be lost if you go out of the country for too long).

So yes, the expert was correct. The converse is also true: if you want to move to the EU, you have until the end of the year to do so.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Plenty of outrage surrounding HS2 today. From the same people who granted the pigs in power a massive mandate to do whatever they want. Appease the rich by any means necessary

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Plenty of outrage surrounding HS2 today. From the same people who granted the pigs in power a massive mandate to do whatever they want. Appease the rich by any means necessary

Tbf - I've seen a lot of arguments that HS2 it something similar is really needed to solve capacity issues around the railway.

And if you're building more capacity, why not make it high-speed and ensure other lines can be dedicated to local services.