• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
The way they are trying to frame everything like the Salford Mafia etc, i'm not going to take their reporting seriously.
People want to win the next election, she is going to look for people she can work with and get the numbers.
After that story on the weekend about Labour not changing course despite the polling, I hope that's still true!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
After that story on the weekend about Labour not changing course despite the polling, I hope that's still true!

We will just have to wait and find out, i just don't think RLB looking to people she can work with is a sign that nothing will change, she wants them on side to win the leadership election. if it looks like a set up and coronation then the wheels are going to come off the labour party pretty quickly, she has to perform well on the campaign.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
My lovely, albeit predominantly Tory voting, dad, who last year sold his post war 2.5 bed bungalow with an intermittent damp problem for £400,000 (he and my step mum divorced) opined to me after the referendum "we're sick of not being listened to".

I asked him what he wanted to say, and never really got an answer.

When I once suggested to him and my step mum that actually they have it pretty good (although his actual income isn't that great to be fair) and that young people today struggle, I was told that they had to live through 15% interest rates etc.

I told him many young people can't afford to buy a house to even have the opportunity to pay high interest rates on and asked him what party was in charge when that happened, and was met with silence. They both voted Tory through the 80s after Thatcher raised interest rates in 79, and again in 97 after Major raised them in 92.

People like that will never change. And he's a lovely, generous, compassionate man, who is volunteering for charities etc, but they're beyond help.

Anyone can change, and no one is beyond help. Don't lose hope.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The way they are trying to frame everything like the Salford Mafia etc, i'm not going to take their reporting seriously.
People want to win the next election, she is going to look for people she can work with and get the numbers.

Sure, and I dont believe all the rumours but we are seeing a worrying amount of info out of RLB campaign for at least the claims of s stitch up and continuity Corbyn accusations to gain traction, which is the last thing we need right now.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
IMO most of the policies won't need scrapped - IIRC in a vacuum many of them they've been proved pretty popular in polling, once the association with Corbyn was stripped out.

If there's one thing recent years have proven about much of the electorate, you can take existing policies, fire some febreze and PR spin onto it, and present it as a new policy.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Starmer against Tories taking branding from Cards against Humanity. Fuck there could easily be a Tories expansion for that game.

It's dull as hell. Don't bother playing. One set of cards all say "Fuck ______". The other deck has cards like "Poor people", "Black people", "Europe", "The climate", "The NHS" and the suchlike. Everyone matches a card from each set, then you read them all out. Then the person whose parents had the most money gets all the points and you go on to the next round.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
IMO most of the policies won't need scrapped - IIRC in a vacuum many of them they've been proved pretty popular in polling, once the association with Corbyn was stripped out.

If there's one thing recent years have proven about much of the electorate, you can take existing policies, fire some febreze and PR spin onto it, and present it as a new policy.
They don't need scrapping at all, as you said, they're popular.

However there is a sizable amount of the PLP and press who believe the policies are the problem, and they need to go.

The problem comes: if they're kept, the press and the "purge the left" faction of the Labour party will treat it as "continuity Corbyn" and continue to attack them.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sure, and I dont believe all the rumours but we are seeing a worrying amount of info out of RLB campaign for at least the claims of s stitch up and continuity Corbyn accusations to gain traction, which is the last thing we need right now.

I got an alert on my phone yesterday for a story and the title said RLB wants to rule the party with an Iron Fist, the actual story was her saying it would be nice if she could, but she can't and people in the party are just going to have to be adults and sort thing out. or her advisor being a stalinist because of a Trotsky=Ice pick badge.

I'm just going to wait and see, if she's out of her depth it's going to become clear very quickly, i don't sense a repeat of the Corbyn leadership campaign, it's going to be tougher hopefully.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
We were discussing this a couple of days ago - Laura Kuenssberg making a clear indication of her political views. Well...

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
after years of reading about Corbyn these "attacks" feel like nothing.

It's such a step down from Jeremy the jew hating Marxist Nazi Stalinist Czech spy IRA supporting Hamas MVP

Yeah but the association with Corbyn alone has the potential to be devastating. Right off the bat the mainstream interpretation is going to be that Labour are not listening and continuing down the same path with a different leader.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah but the association with Corbyn alone has the potential to be devastating. Right off the bat the mainstream interpretation is going to be that Labour are not listening and continuing down the same path with a different leader.

That's for her to challenge, the Labour party wants her to be her own leader as well.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
That's for her to challenge, the Labour party wants her to be her own leader as well.

It is. Nothing I've seen so far suggests she's up to that task and none of the decisions she seems to be making in terms of the people around her indicate she's wary of how big of a problem it is.

edit: probably sounds more negative than I actually feel, but I definitely feel pessimistic about her chances in general. I don't think there's any stand out leadership choice to be honest, but certainly a few standout disaster candidates (e.g. Thornberry, Phillips).

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
after years of reading about Corbyn these "attacks" feel like nothing.

It's such a step down from Jeremy the jew hating Marxist Nazi Stalinist Czech spy IRA supporting Hamas MVP

You don't quite get the strategy here. Can't go all out, because if she loses we need her to be the voice of true reasonable Labour when she goes up against the new leadership. Whoever is the final leader will start to find a lot of pressure on them to distinguish them as the worst possible candidate for the job, don't you worry.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Bit of a silly question this early on but definitely feels like those viewed as more moderate are doing well. Phillips' popularity is quite surprising to me to be honest, I can only see her as being deeply divisive.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
If you're not on threads like this or aware of certain Twitter accounts etc, I think Jess Phillips is quite well thought of, probably her giving it out to Johnson in that debate etc.

The majority of people aren't anywhere near as in to politics, or as progressive, as this thread.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

Bit of a silly question this early on but definitely feels like those viewed as more moderate are doing well. Phillips' popularity is quite surprising to me to be honest, I can only see her as being deeply divisive.

That's actually a pretty good number for Nandy with only 28% having heard of her.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
But it's the reality. People like Johnson, or dislike him less, than Corbyn. The Tories just got a large majority in the Commons.

It shouldn't be surprising!

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're not on threads like this or aware of certain Twitter accounts etc, I think Jess Phillips is quite well thought of, probably her giving it out to Johnson in that debate etc.

The majority of people aren't anywhere near as in to politics, or as progressive, as this thread.
Majority of white people you mean. Jess is well known in the black community.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't think many people are really giving the leadership much thought, it's Christmas after 2 years of political mania.
I'm not really sure yet besides a few who i think aren't up to it or will get done over.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Ok, I think it is time to cancel my subscription to Brexitcast and Remainiacs. No need to be informed about this shit show on a weekly basis anymore. All the best UK.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll unsubscribe to this thread until 2034. Hopefully, we'll have a Labour party with a chance by then. When is the next planetary alignment btw ?!?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I don't really get is Brexit was about taking back control, yet in the last week we've sold a big defense contractor to the US, and Centrica have just sold a local power station to the Germans.

Surely handing infrastructure over to external powers we are just giving more control away?

Oct 28, 2017
"Taking back control" never referred to the country, only to the Tories and then further concentrated into a specific subset of MPs.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
"Taking back control" never referred to the country, only to the Tories and then further concentrated into a specific subset of MPs.

This is the one silver lining about getting brexit done, catchphrases become disappointing reality, besides free movement everything else was in our control anyway. The British model was out of date and undemocratic 40 years ago, sometimes painfully pathetically so.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
So apart from the Conservatives in Westminster seeing their new plan as to downplay the SNP and say 55% of Unionist parties were represented here, it seems to be all over Twitter too, and it's not just Conservative voters, a fair bit of Labour, especially English Labour seem to be at it as well.

It's funny how for once voteshare matters, yet the UK Government doesn't ever talk about changing to proportional representation? They don't want 16-17 year olds voting either. Scotland has both proportional representation and 16-17 year olds can vote.

hqlePLc.jpg

So there is a lot of idiots in Scotland, chained to be ruled by Britain and scared to go independent in a 5 million population like... every other fucking independent country in Europe with a population of 3~5 million. Not to mention our resources put us way ahead of many countries in Europe. Putting aside the Rangers fans that is, still a lot of idiots here not tied to Unionism in their veins that believed the vow in 2014, believed a massive Labour progressive majority was incoming and believe we'd be better off continuing with Tory reign over us.

However, I'm getting more and more pissed off with English Labour voters. 28% of England thinks Scotland should be able to pass a referendum bill. You guys sit on your asses down south crying and moaning that in your life time you might only remember the Tony Blair Labour Government. Annoying? Try living in Scotland where we haven't voted for a Conservative majority since 1955 and now we've just returned the second highest number of SNP MPs since 2010 yet a good chunk of you lot demand we shut-up, we know our place and we can't survive without you.

Let me make it clear, England does not own Scotland. You don't own our people. Your Union doesn't give you the right to give our democracy utter contempt. Fuck any English Labour voters who think that is so. If I hear any of you moan about democracy or how it's unfair you can't get a Labour majority, then turn around and be almost excited or contemptuous about Scotland wanting to escape Tory reign, you're a massive fucking hypocrite. Fuck you.

Also, have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Get back in your tartan box Audioboxer.
BORIS IS THE DADDY NOW!

Merry Bozmas to you too.

That needs more work.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Get back in your tartan box Audioboxer.
BORIS IS THE DADDY NOW!

I've got a mean flu for Christmas and have to go to a big family meal tomorrow. I'm in a mood and got my jimmies rustled this morning reading comments online.

To make matters worse my Uncle whose house I'll be at tomorrow votes Conservative.

Totally wearing a kilt and taking over the Braveheart DVD.

Family be like NO POLITICS TALK AT CHRISTMAS!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Nandy is obsessed with towns, she isn't wrong but if the Ed is going to finish his review then he can't be talking to the voters, that's a big job to get done right.

It's for local parties and the new leader to work out.

^ I'm not actually going to knock Phillips for that, Boris has learnt one thing from Churchill and that is to try and craft your place in the public's mind, a damn sight better than leaving it up to the press by themselves.