• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
My sister works contracts in government departments from time to time, via an agency but as she handles contracts as part of her job she sees what the agencies get.

She's on something like £350 a day and she reckons the agencies were getting something like 450-500, can remember exactly, but it was huge. And she worked with people in twice her rate, who were billing for working from home all weekend.

It's a joke. They're all employed through limited companies, paying minimum NI on huge salaries. When they brought in the new rules designed to limit the benefits of working via limited companies, everybody put their rates up and the government just paid them.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

"I will consider all reasonable options to secure Scotland's right to self-determination"

TLDR, we're going to war with England and the gammons are mad.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good thing the EU doesn't know how UK laws work, otherwise they'd be able to easily see that the government can just change the law at any time and the whole 'our hands are tied' line is complete bullshit.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good thing the EU doesn't know how UK laws work, otherwise they'd be able to easily see that the government can just change the law at any time and the whole 'our hands are tied' line is complete bullshit.

The whole point is that if it's a bluff then the EU would just need to call it to force the government to backtrack and change it's own laws. Its not a matter of tieing our hands and setting ourselves on fire, its about setting out the position.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

The absolute state of the supposed SCOTTISH leaders of the Conservatives and Lib Dems.

At least I know England too wants to eradicate the Lib Dems. Fucking useless party.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm talking about putting "no extension" into law, yeah

The EU are going to do what the EU are going to do, they aren't going to be swayed by gestures, just as the size of a majority only interests them in regards as to whether a deal can pass or not.

It's just empty stuff from Davis.
If there's a deal to be made they will make it.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
The EU are going to do what the EU are going to do, they aren't going to be swayed by gestures, just as the size of a majority only interests them in regards as to whether a deal can pass or not.

It's just empty stuff from Davis.

Him saying they must blink is empty sure, but I dont think the Benn Act did the government any favours and EU still worked overtime to entertain Johnson's new WA even though they really didn't need to. All sides will be posturing throughout this.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Him saying they must blink is empty sure, but I dont think the Benn Act did the government any favours and EU still had to work overtime to entertain Johnson's new WA even though they really didn't need to. All sides will be posturing throughout this.

I don't think anyone would have a problem if he just said a time limit will help concentrate minds on getting a deal, it is all the waffle about threats that people are reacting to. It will be useful if there's a deal to be made, if not it just isn't going to make any difference what date we put in to law.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anyone would have a problem if he just said a time limit will help concentrate minds on getting a deal, it is all the waffle about threats that people are reacting to. It will be useful if there's a deal to be made, if not it just isn't going to make any difference what date we put in to law.

In another way, the deadline could see the government accepting any old trade deal just to say we kept to the deadline. There's no-one to tell the government "no" any more.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

Just a BBC reporter complaining about """the wokes""" in a published BBC News article

Doesn't look like he's complaining - although I hate the phrase "woke" in its numerous forms. Ugh

It is true though - there does seem to have been a demographical shift in Labour support.

How do they best maintain the youthful support who are very socially progressive, coupled with their more established voter base who've lent their votes to the Tories?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
In another way, the deadline could see the government accepting any old trade deal just to say we kept to the deadline. There's no-one to tell the government "no" any more.

Yeah, not gonna dispute that, I'm not sure how that will go down at home, there was lots of worries from usually tory areas like farming that worried about that.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't look like he's complaining - although I hate the phrase "woke" in its numerous forms. Ugh

It is true though - there does seem to have been a demographical shift in Labour support.

How do they best maintain the youthful support who are very socially progressive, coupled with their more established voter base who've lent their votes to the Tories?
I mean, I very disagree. The headline: "Will UK provide lightbulb moment for US Democrats", is not about coming to a middle. It's saying "look, you need to do the opposite of this", this being left policies. Not picking Bernie. It's reducing it to "the wokes", a group that is disposable, always referred to as such in a derisory manner, and should be ignored in favour of a pivot in the opposite direction.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Places like Japan must be dreading having to talk to the UK about trade, I know we are out of practice compared to the rest of the world but we just come across as loopy fuckers.

Nah they are smiling and looking forward to it because they'll be able to get concessions that they weren't able to get in the Japan-EU trade talks because the UK will be in a weaker position and the government would be desperate to get trade deals as a sign of victory.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017

Just a BBC reporter complaining about """the wokes""" in a published BBC News article

It was the young, really. But he's not wrong, because it does present Labour with a dilemma in terms of votes. The more liberal your position the more you'll 'lose' socially conservative voters. And the veil that Labour voters are all progressive and has been torn down big time since the referendum.

It's like Brexit, you can't appeal to both. At best you'll get people who are indifferent/don't care.

Like Kuennsberg going on about shitposting, these fuckers don't understand the definitions of what they're talking about.

Although I don't think they're alone. There are so many phrases and labels and new things that many people won't know.

I was explaining to my father about some women being against self ID for trans people, and he was totally confused by the issue. He thought protecting cis women was the most PC thing to do, after metoo and all that.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Nah they are smiling and looking forward to it because they'll be able to get concessions that they weren't able to get in the Japan-EU trade talks because the UK will be in a weaker position and the government would be desperate to get trade deals as a sign of victory.

True, but they are also fairly conservative and like order, I don't know how Bumbling Boris is seen over there though, but they have been used to a British PM being a serious trustworthy figure.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The problem wasn't that the 2019 manifesto was too far left. It was just too many policies at once. Concentrate on a handful of leftist policies and make sure you sell them well. There just felt like there wasn't a unified plan around this year's policies .
No this is wrong a manifesto should be pretty all encompassing looking at all major aspects of life without getting bogged down in the fine print. No one seriously thinks the labour government would have been able to do all that in the first 100 days, that was never the states goal.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Centrist Kinnock fans in here, come get yr man

People who go to coffee bars in London = contemptible
People who use tax payers money to buy themselves multiple coffee machines and a milk-frother = Stephen Kinnock

EMJjKdnXUAM6dDD

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Internet policy should have just been stated as a Labour government looking Into online infrastructure and access to it.

It ended up sounding like a special offer.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
No this is wrong a manifesto should be pretty all encompassing looking at all major aspects of life without getting bogged down in the fine print. No one seriously thinks the labour government would have been able to do all that in the first 100 days, that was never the states goal.

No a manifesto should sell a clear narrative, show that the government priority is the people priority, should have a few popular policies that stand out. Rail nationalisation is extremely popular but Labour barely talked about it, despite the shocking situation our trains are in. The manifesto that Labour produced was like a 10-15 year manifesto. It was clearly policy overload.
The fact that Labour didn't focus on police/criminal justice and let the conservatives set the narrative was extremely surprising.
The 2017 manifesto was clear, an end austerity, the 2019 manifesto was just a bunch if policies put together.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the old folks who can't drive anymore and don't need a passport will be fucked too?

Used to be in this position before mine and my then fiancees first holiday together.

Can't drive, didn't need a passport, etc.

So I feel for people this will inevitably screw over*

*unless they voted for the Tories in which case fuck them, they knew this could happen since it was mentioned before voting day